should I throw away my junk food? - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

should I throw away my junk food?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 VodkaZero

VodkaZero

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:34 PM

So hear me out.These last weeks, I've basically been compulsively grocery shopping, everything I like, that looked good in the moment, sometimes just to have an excuse to go out and procrastinate. I am/was trying to eat intuitively, but (of course lol) I still want to lose weight. It does kinda work when the parameters are good, like, nobody forces me to eat something and I can freely decide what to have and when. I wanted to not restrict any sort of food, even the junkiest junk, so I bought everything lol. This went well for a good time even.

But now, I really have stacks on stacks of candy, and for all the time I've been doing IE, even if I binge on it, I still restock it,  because I want to learn to be okay with having no matter what around me, I still listen to my body and what I want and not any compulsion to binge. I want to be 'strong' enough to not be influenced by what is there. You get me?

But now, I feel just really uncomfortable with all this. I seriously prefer whole, healthy filling food, and sometimes a bit of candy, but it's more like a little but after a meal because that's when it tastes good and I can rather justify it. With having so much around, I already feel unhealthy without eating it, and still have a feeling of 'having' to eat it sooner or later because it's there and I don't want to waste food and I bought it and spend money on it, so I 'have' to eat it. It's not even the good tempting things that bother me, my favorite candy is great and I want to keep it around all the time anyways. It's the extra 80% that I didn't really like and/or I found just too unhealthy (not from a judging perspective, but from a ugh-I-feel-like-I'm-pouring-poison-into-my-body-eating-this-pure-syrup-!-perspective).I wish I could start over with a new kitchen and keep mostly fresh, nice quality whole foods around that I LIKE to eat and also, the junk food I really like and WANT to eat in moderation because it's good, not because of a weird it-has-to-go-so-I'd-rather-binge-on-it-so-it's-gone nervousness. But I'm not a fan of black and white thinking, and I fear this is some kind of sneaky ocd-ish thing of mine that I have often with other things like certain belongings and such where I get super obsessive and into a downwards spiral of worries, because a 'normal' eater could just ignore it and eat their fresh nice food and a little of the good sweets and be fine, not be so damn ANNOYED by the extra. It's just TOO MUCH for my little stupid nerves.

What should I do? what would you do? (No, hiding it doesn't help, because I know it's still there. I don't have anyone to give it to, and I don't know of any food places where they take bags of already opened junk here)

• Weldon likes this

#2 wrapped-in-plastic

wrapped-in-plastic

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:47 PM

no, you should never throw away perfectly good food....i'm pretty sure there is some place in your area to give it to. you could probably even just put it out on the street and people would take it 

• Katie Katie likes this

1,68m (5'6)

CW: 58kg (127lbs)

GW1: 55kg (121lbs)

GW2: 50kg (110lbs)

UGW: 45kg (99lbs)

tumblr-pa0lopp-Htj1sqjmzko1-500.jpg

#3 WildflowerGirls

WildflowerGirls

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:49 PM

If ur gonna get rid of it, I recommend giving it to homeless shelters! If it's unopened then they'll really appreciate it! 

• Katie Katie likes this

HW: 210 (fuck recovery)

CW: 183

LW: 102

UGW: 80

#4 50caffeine

50caffeine

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:17 PM

If I knew I wouldn't be able to portion it and avoid binging on it, I would keep it and eat it through the days. But if I'm in the middle of one of those binge cycles, I'd throw them away.
In the only great binge cycle that I had, I thought it was a good idea to buy a good quantity of sweets because I was for a moment determined to stop binging, and I thought keeping some junk food at home and eat some when I would have cravings instead of going to the grocery store and buy everything that looked good to me would be a good idea. The thing is I binged on them the same day, but I didn't finish them, and I threw away the rest. Feeling that I've wasted money hurts a little bit, but I couldn't stand having "bingeable" foods near me.
Don't be afraid to throw it away if you need to do it. It may feel like a "fresh start" and make it easier to stop binging and compulsively buying food.
  • VodkaZero likes this

#5 Banana__Milk

Banana__Milk

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationSouth Korea

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:47 PM

When I used to impulsively buy junk food, I’d give it away to my family or friends haha
163cm // UGW: 45 kg

#6 Prim Poppy

Prim Poppy

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2119 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:23 PM

I have this issue myself right now. I arranged it all according to expiration dates into separate containers, and only focus on one bag at a time. I portion it out daily to fit into my calories. It's helped my anxiety by only focusing on a little at a time but knowing nothing will expire.

#7 Weldon

Weldon

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1059 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:23 PM

Try to give the open bags to friends/family or neighbors, etc.  If you can't find a home for it just throw it away.  It's not worth your mental health and extra stress to have it around.  I don't like throwing food away but sometimes it's really the only option to avoid the anxiety/stress of having it around.

• VodkaZero likes this

#8 butterfliewingthin

butterfliewingthin

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:35 AM

i think you'll get a big ego trip and it'll make you feel good, if you can show yourself that you have self-control and can eat the junk food when YOU want and on your calorie schedule if you want to. 

• VodkaZero likes this

palduo95611.png

~ Proving everyday that EDs are not restrictive to white cisgender females only ~

Height: 5'6"

SW: 145lb

CW: 125lb

GW: 100lb

UGW: 90lb

weight.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users