Opinions on Maudsley Method - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Opinions on Maudsley Method

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 claraistired

claraistired

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:25 PM

I'm 19 so I can't really be forced anymore unless I get court ordered but researching treatment really motivated me to go from a 15.6 BMI to the solid 16 range before my dr appointment next week so I look less bad. I don't know when they can tell my parents because of my age but I REALLY don't want my parents to have any more control over my life. I honestly feel like them having more control would just make me depressed especially if I had to quit music school which is basically my one distraction from anorexia. 

• bluefingered likes this

#2 Bones & anxiety

Bones & anxiety

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4289 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:28 PM

I personally think Maudsley Method is great when It’s in conjunction with therapy. It’s evidence based treatment.
Sure, teenagers aren’t going to like their parents having control over their intake, but if you can’t even feed yourself, the family needs to step in and help you help yourself.

You cannot make logical good decisions for yourself when you're severely malnourished and have an eating disorder. That's why equipped professionals step in.
I’ve seen people get better when they tried this method

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • newadmyn and FrenchToastBoy like this
CW: 85 lb
UGW 1: 80
UGW 2: 75

#3 cokecaiin

cokecaiin

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:29 PM

for me personally it didn’t work and just made me so much worse. i didn’t comply either until i was put inpatient and even that was worse.

they need to focus on improving the mental side of things before weight restoration is considered, unless of course someone physical health is in critical danger
  • asdya, bluefingered, PollyJ and 3 others like this

hw: 55kg

lw: 31.4kg

cw: 42kg 

gw 1: 40kg

gw 2: 35kg 

gw 3: 28kg

164cm

#4 g.lina

g.lina

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:38 PM

I don't have a therapist, but I guess that's what my family is doing for me right now? I just eat what they eat and maybe cook something else on the side for myself if I feel like it (on top of what I eat alongside family). Mom lets me swap out stuff if I don't like it (I hate hate hate lettuce so I swap it for spinach, I usually swap pork for beef, and I often swap string beans for some other greens and edamame). I'm also allowed to request dishes (I really like baked purple yam, so whenever we are grocery shopping I always tell my mom to get me some purple yam). 

I'm glad I don't have a therapist. Eating around my family is fun when we have inside jokes and act like toddlers around the table, but eating with someone else present really just dampens the air in general. 

• newadmyn likes this

CW:89lbs/40.4kg

SW: 93?lbs/42kg

GW: 87lbs/39.4kg

GW2:83lbs/37.6

UGW: 80lbs/36kg

Height: 5'2.2/158cm

Attempting recovery....but it doesn't mean that I don't want my GWs. It's just that there's something more important than my goal weights. 

#5 turnipkitty

turnipkitty

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:31 PM

My parents did/are doing something very similar to this. They were basically 100% in charge of what I ate. I also had a therapist but she would tell my parents everything I said and we didn’t focus at all on the mental side. I am finally getting most of my independence back because I have convinced them that I can eat normally and that I’m fine. But yeah. This method totally didn’t work for me.

#6 Frozen Grape

Frozen Grape

My Next Life..? I'm Coming Back as a Rabbit.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18899 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand (Nope, not part of Australia, Africa or Antarctica)

Posted 01 July 2020 - 12:44 AM

The method works SO LONG as you have a family who implements it correctly. It's painful and horrible because you're actually going against what anorexia tells you. It's supposed to feel horrible, recovery is not pretty or pleasant in the slightest. You cannot recover mentally until you are at least somewhat a normal weight, and frankly.. if you leave anyone with anorexia to 'choose' what to eat, they will almost always choose foods that their anorexia agrees with. It is ingrained in us to choose the lowest calorie foods. When you're that sick, you need someone to have full control over food for you. And you need them to do it for AGES. Until you're at least a minimal healthy weight. 

• snowystar and newadmyn like this

#7 bluefingered

bluefingered

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2137 posts
  • LocationLarder in a London flat

Posted 01 July 2020 - 03:48 AM

The Maudsley method is inherently bad.

Not because it "makes you fat" but because parents who favour this method tend to be abusive and controlling, and well...things get bad fast when your abusive parent suddenly has all control over your food, many other aspects of your life like "privileges" (your phone, your laptop, being allowed to have friends, being allowed to go to school) which rapidly become control tools, and literally everybody's backing. You try to speak out and it's just the ED talking, so you're ignored or even punished. A lot of abusive parents, possibly the majority of them, come across as kind, attentive, and caring towards their child when in front of a treatment team or doctor, and the truth is something between only themselves and their victim(s). Many of these parents disobey doctors, sneak things into food, invade their children's privacy, and deliberately trick their children. Many of these parents are also a large part of why their child has anorexia in the first place. Not to mention it literally treats the ED like a publicly humiliating annoyance where there's no consideration as to the mental aspect. As long as the patient looks healthy, in the eyes of Maudsley parents, they are healthy. No ifs or buts.

I can understand how it might be effective in young children, age 9 to 13, because they're less likely to have suffered for years on end and are less deeply entrenched in the disorder's mental aspect, "easier to fix" basically. Several months or a year of weight restoration and healthily controlled eating may well heal them. But they're also less likely to realise that they are being controlled or abused, and even if they realise...who's going to be believed, a 10 year old with a "devil sickness" or a "loving, caring parent who is trying their best"?

Some of them also apply for conservatorship, so they have total control over their adult child's medical decisions and treatment. But that's a whole different argument.

In the vast majority of cases it stops being a treatment (if it ever was one to begin with) and becomes a method of abusive control and I can't ever agree with something that could slip into that territory so easily.

— an overworked student
  • SleepWalker, girlLostintheForest, PollyJ and 1 other like this

lw (07/2017): 37kg (bmi 14.4)

hw (06/2018): 54kg (bmi 21)

height: 160cm

end of february gw: 51kg/112lbs (bmi 19.6) ✓

end of march gw: 49kg/108lbs (bmi 19.1)

end of april gw: 47kg/103lbs (bmi 18.3)

end of may gw: 45kg/99lbs (bmi 17.5) 

end of june gw: 43kg/94lbs (bmi 16.7) 

end of july gw: 41kg/90lbs (bmi 16) 

ugw: 40kg/88lbs (bmi 15.6)

DistortedImaginativeDesertpupfish-small.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#8 girlLostintheForest

girlLostintheForest

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1294 posts
  • LocationTop of a tree

Posted 01 July 2020 - 04:02 AM

The maudsley method is inherently bad.

Not because it "makes you fat" but because parents who favour this method tend to be abusive and controlling, and well...things get bad fast when your abusive parent suddenly has all control over your food, many other aspects of your life like privileges which rapidly become control tools, and literally everybody's backing. You try to speak out and it's just the ED talking, so you're ignored or even punished. Many of these parents disobey doctors, sneak things into food, invade their children's privacy, and deliberately trick their children. Many of these parents are also a large part of why their child has anorexia in the first place. Not to mention it literally treats the ED like a publicly humiliating annoyance where there's no consideration as to the mental aspect. As long as the patient looks healthy, in the eyes of Maudsley parents, they are healthy. No ifs or buts.

I can understand how it might be effective in young children, age 9 to 13, because they're less likely to have suffered for years on end and are less deeply entrenched in the disorder's mental aspect, "easier to fix" basically. Several months or a year of weight restoration and healthily controlled eating may well heal them. But they're also less likely to realise that they are being controlled or abused, and even if they realise...who's going to be believed, a 10 year old with a "devil sickness" or a "loving, caring parent who is trying their best"?

In the vast majority of cases it stops being a treatment and becomes a method of abusive control and I can't ever agree with something that could slip into that territory so easily.

— an overworked student

I was waiting for someone to say this.
I've never experienced the Maudsley method personally thank fuck, and somehow managed to stop my parents noticing my AN when I still lived with them.
For those who don't have abusive families I can see theoretically that maaaaaybe it might work, but as a treatment team you have no way of knowing what kind of household the patient is coming from and if they do have abusive/controlling parents then fuck it would be bad. Like I know if my parents had found out about my AN and I'd had any kind of family based treatment, I almost definitely would not be alive today
  • SleepWalker and bluefingered like this

#9 bluefingered

bluefingered

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2137 posts
  • LocationLarder in a London flat

Posted 01 July 2020 - 04:12 AM

I was waiting for someone to say this.
I've never experienced the Maudsley method personally thank fuck, and somehow managed to stop my parents noticing my AN when I still lived with them.
For those who don't have abusive families I can see theoretically that maaaaaybe it might work, but as a treatment team you have no way of knowing what kind of household the patient is coming from and if they do have abusive/controlling parents then fuck it would be bad. Like I know if my parents had found out about my AN and I'd had any kind of family based treatment, I almost definitely would not be alive today

Yea, exactly the same here. If my parents had cared about "treating" AN or any mental illness, I for sure wouldn't be alive now. People from good families just don't understand this but for an abusive family, a mentally ill kid can be like a fucking nugget of gold.

— an overworked student
  • girlLostintheForest likes this

lw (07/2017): 37kg (bmi 14.4)

hw (06/2018): 54kg (bmi 21)

height: 160cm

end of february gw: 51kg/112lbs (bmi 19.6) ✓

end of march gw: 49kg/108lbs (bmi 19.1)

end of april gw: 47kg/103lbs (bmi 18.3)

end of may gw: 45kg/99lbs (bmi 17.5) 

end of june gw: 43kg/94lbs (bmi 16.7) 

end of july gw: 41kg/90lbs (bmi 16) 

ugw: 40kg/88lbs (bmi 15.6)

DistortedImaginativeDesertpupfish-small.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#10 Team_DietDrPepper

Team_DietDrPepper

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8907 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 07:30 AM

I have never done it, but I would not do well with it. I am sure it would ruin my relationship with my parents forever. 

Height- 5'0

HW- 126.8 pounds (March 2020)

LW- 87 pounds (April 2015)

CW- 123.4 pounds   

GW- 96 pounds

UGW-78 pounds

damn-it-im-fat-18331225.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users