Losing Hip Dips? - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Losing Hip Dips?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 AloofApathy

AloofApathy

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:57 PM

Will losing weight help my hip dips to go away, or at least become less prominent?

I wasn’t told they were a thing normal people have until I was like 16, so I thought I was just disfigured. Since learning about them, it’s been hard to unlearn that notion, and I still have a crazy need to get rid of them.

Besides exercise, because I’m crazy scared of muscle weight, is there anything at all that can get rid of them?
Spoiler

#2 kt1997

kt1997

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • LocationNSW

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:02 PM

I've had hipdips at BMI 16 all the way up to BMI 26. The only way to get rid of them is to build muscle there because its just your bone structure that causes them.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
  • AloofApathy likes this
176cm
she/her

#3 Dippey

Dippey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:31 PM

I feel you idk if you relate at all but growing up I thought they were something I had because I was fat and its bittersweet realizing that's not the case.
I'm no expert but I believe there's no complete fix thats nonsurgical (I assume you could fill them with fat transfer or something) .
You can build muscle on the area but i think that would only reduce the look and likely not fully remove it .
So its likely more of a mental battle to become comfortable with them .
Something that helped me a lot was seeing thin women with them ex if you care about models at all bella hadid has them.f934dd93253c6c5719fbc1ebdb01c1c1.jpg0a48e457cfa504c4270df5878d5b5686.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
  • Fireflyfighter and AloofApathy like this

#4 AloofApathy

AloofApathy

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:36 PM

I've had hipdips at BMI 16 all the way up to BMI 26. The only way to get rid of them is to build muscle there because its just your bone structure that causes them.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

yeah I thought that’d be the case :/ I feel like mine got worse with weight loss but idk how much of that is dysmorphia
Spoiler

#5 AloofApathy

AloofApathy

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:39 PM

I feel you idk if you relate at all but growing up I thought they were something I had because I was fat and its bittersweet realizing that's not the case.
I'm no expert but I believe there's no complete fix thats nonsurgical (I assume you could fill them with fat transfer or something) .
You can build muscle on the area but i think that would only reduce the look and likely not fully remove it .
So its likely more of a mental battle to become comfortable with them .
Something that helped me a lot was seeing thin women with them ex if you care about models at all bella hadid has them.f934dd93253c6c5719fbc1ebdb01c1c1.jpg0a48e457cfa504c4270df5878d5b5686.jpg

yeah, I used to do the same when I’d get serious breakdowns about them, seeing other people with them is comforting. It’s a hard af mental battle, it’s just difficult for me to understand why they’re not more common in media, but I appreciate it when models have them lol
  • Dippey likes this
Spoiler

#6 Dippey

Dippey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:10 PM

"Hip dips aren't bad — in fact, they can be a sign that you're in good shape. ... "In fact, if the hip dip does not show, it can be due to underdeveloped muscles or high body fat, or both." So there's no use in trying to create a perfect curve"
This is a quote from a random article but I think maybe researching a bit and understanding more of the science behind hip dips might be comforting as well

• AloofApathy likes this

#7 AloofApathy

AloofApathy

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:20 PM

"Hip dips aren't bad — in fact, they can be a sign that you're in good shape. ... "In fact, if the hip dip does not show, it can be due to underdeveloped muscles or high body fat, or both." So there's no use in trying to create a perfect curve"
This is a quote from a random article but I think maybe researching a bit and understanding more of the science behind hip dips might be comforting as well

Yeah I think I might sit down and actually have a look, I know it has something to do with the pelvis being too high or something like that. The quote was actually quite comforting in the way it was written, gives me soft vibes lmao idk

• g.lina likes this
Spoiler

#8 Starving_failure

Starving_failure

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:08 AM

So I am almost 30 and this is the first reference I have ever seen of these being a normal thing at all weights rather than just because of being fat... The time I have spent analysing myself in the mirror, trying to work out how to get rid of them... Fml
  • AloofApathy likes this

#9 AloofApathy

AloofApathy

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:07 PM

So I am almost 30 and this is the first reference I have ever seen of these being a normal thing at all weights rather than just because of being fat... The time I have spent analysing myself in the mirror, trying to work out how to get rid of them... Fml

I feel that, but at least you know now and not in another 20 years lol. It should be talked about more, it’s vastly underrepresented for the large amount of people who have it.
  • Karebear2 likes this
Spoiler

#10 Ket

Ket

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 July 2020 - 03:03 PM

Honestly mine become a lot more visible the more I lose as any far in the area vanishes. Personally I dont see any issue with them. Any body part being small ill take

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
  • AloofApathy likes this

#11 TinyLostSoul

TinyLostSoul

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 03:08 PM

I always hated mine. They become less noticeable with weight loss though because I carry all of my fat in my upper and lower hips. They really do make me feel horribly self conscious. I've just learned to dress for my body type to disguise them (meaning no tight dresses/leggings). I find that jeans hide them the best on me and long shirts that go down and cover my hips l.

Unfortunately, I don't think you can get rid of them. But I think they sell hip pads online that you can use to fill out the area and give yourself a more classic hourglass shape.

My hip dips are a result of my hips just genetically being super high (several inches higher than most people). The benefit I get from this is that I have a super tiny waist for my weight.
  • g.lina and AloofApathy like this

Stuck at the surface.

Not making progress.

Falling apart while I'm trying my hardest.

#12 Train Wreck

Train Wreck

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:08 PM

it's impossible to get rid of them as it's due bone structure but you can build muscle in that area to reduce the appearance of them.

Hip dips are completely normal and nothing to do with weight, so many people have them that you probably don't even realise they do, the same way people wouldn't look at you and see them. Obviously that's not going to make you not insecure of them beacuse that's not how insecuritys work. And being told something is normal wont automatically get rid of any insecurities or body dysmorphia. But something I do when I'm particullary insecure about a certain feature is make a pinterest board of picture of people with that feature who I think are beautiful and look at it when I feel bad about it. For example I hate the shape of my nose so I made a board of actors and models etc with similar shaped noses. 

Also a i said it is completely possible to build muscle around the area where the dip is which makes them look more curved. There are alot of youtube workouts and workouts online with good muscle building exercises to target that area if that's something you want to do and would make you happy.

• AloofApathy likes this

#13 panicateverysocialevent

panicateverysocialevent

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:16 PM

when i was like bmi 24 i had bad hip dips cos of fat and then at around bmi 20-21 they looked better and then when i lost more weight they actually got more obvious bc it’s to do with ur bone structure
  • AloofApathy likes this

#14 q1s2e3

q1s2e3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:24 PM

Sadly, because they’re due to bone structure, they only become more apparent as you lose weight. If you gain weight it adds some fat to the area that fills it out, but otherwise it just gets more visible as you lose
  • AloofApathy likes this

Spoiler

#15 CreativeUsernameHere

CreativeUsernameHere

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Locationprolly off doing a questionnaire in a dank cave.

Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:41 AM

I was blessed with 3 sets of hip dips. Unfortunately they will only get worse as I lose more. I have such a weird body..so I have the clasic hip dips, then I have another set from where my hipbones randomly poke out even though I have a bmi of 22 and the third set comes from the weird shape of how my ass meets my thighs. I've just learned how to accept/hide it...mostly hide...

• AloofApathy likes this

#16 AloofApathy

AloofApathy

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:24 PM

it's impossible to get rid of them as it's due bone structure but you can build muscle in that area to reduce the appearance of them.

Hip dips are completely normal and nothing to do with weight, so many people have them that you probably don't even realise they do, the same way people wouldn't look at you and see them. Obviously that's not going to make you not insecure of them beacuse that's not how insecuritys work. And being told something is normal wont automatically get rid of any insecurities or body dysmorphia. But something I do when I'm particullary insecure about a certain feature is make a pinterest board of picture of people with that feature who I think are beautiful and look at it when I feel bad about it. For example I hate the shape of my nose so I made a board of actors and models etc with similar shaped noses.

Also a i said it is completely possible to build muscle around the area where the dip is which makes them look more curved. There are alot of youtube workouts and workouts online with good muscle building exercises to target that area if that's something you want to do and would make you happy.

I really like the idea of the pinterest board, I might try that, thank you
Spoiler

#17 AloofApathy

AloofApathy

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:26 PM

I always hated mine. They become less noticeable with weight loss though because I carry all of my fat in my upper and lower hips. They really do make me feel horribly self conscious. I've just learned to dress for my body type to disguise them (meaning no tight dresses/leggings). I find that jeans hide them the best on me and long shirts that go down and cover my hips l.

Unfortunately, I don't think you can get rid of them. But I think they sell hip pads online that you can use to fill out the area and give yourself a more classic hourglass shape.

My hip dips are a result of my hips just genetically being super high (several inches higher than most people). The benefit I get from this is that I have a super tiny waist for my weight.

I feel that with the big shirts and jeans, I used to do that when I was a higher weight too, but I kinda wanna flaunt the weight I’ve lost a little bit so I’m gonna have to find alternatives. I’ve found that like skater skirts hide it all.
Spoiler

#18 Polpina

Polpina

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:38 AM

You could try this video to train, people said that helped!

#19 anxious.ly

anxious.ly

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2463 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted Yesterday, 07:02 AM

I have very slight hip dips, you can barely even tell, but I hate them so much. Luckily, mine are so unnoticeable that I can hide them very easily

• Polpina likes this

Alexa

19 years old

Anorexia - restrictive subtype

5'4

CW: ?

UGW: 70lbs

Discharged from treatment: January 16th 2020

Somewhere between relapse and recovery

My Accountability/Updates

Waist Measurement BC

0 user(s) are reading this topic