What made you take the jump? - Vegetarian/Vegan/Raw Food Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

What made you take the jump?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Aly1910

Aly1910

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 11:01 AM

Just curious what any of your transition stories are. Like did you watch something or read something that just made it click that you didnt want to eat animal anymore?

#2 activecheesecake

activecheesecake

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • Locationwonderland

Posted 12 July 2020 - 11:05 AM

i honestly did it because of my ED. i could get away with not eating a lot of stuff by saying i was vegan, but i watched documentaries and stuff and even without my ED i would probably be at least vegetarian at some point. i just love animals and think of them as all equal to each other, cows are just as important as dogs to me.

BODY CHECKS

CW: 105 (BMI 16.7)

Last weigh in: 2020/08/06

150   130   110  100

GW: 88

#3 Ama-chawn

Ama-chawn

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 11:17 AM

I love animals, and have had tons of pets (specially chickens and ducks) in my life, and I just thought one day that there is literally no difference between the chickens that get slaughtered for their meat and the one I'm keeping as a pet. I haven't eaten meat since.

#4 Chrissie98

Chrissie98

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 11:30 AM

When I was a kid (10 years old) I just randomely started disliking the taste of meat. It became totally disgusting to me. Fortunately, my parents allowed me to stop eating it. Well... and by now (almost 22 years old) I just don't feel like I need it in any way.

Back then it def wasn't because of any disordered eating behaviours (those started when I was about 14 or 15 I guess)

#5 ClumsyCat

ClumsyCat

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 11:50 AM

I honestly can't remember how or why. Just, i never liked meat much. I was about ten when i decided i'll stop eating it. Buuut, i still ate salami, as it was the meat thing that i actually liked. So stupid.
Over the years i had multiple attempts at becoming a full vegetarian, but i just couldn't get past a couple weeks for some reason.
I recently realized how stupid all this is and decided to actually do it this time. It's been 3 months so far. Yes, too little, i know. But i promise i'll make it longer now.

#6 Aly1910

Aly1910

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 12:56 PM

Man I love this. I've been transitioning since I was in an institution and the meat was extremely questionable. After I got out, i could eat meat but halfway through it would really gross me out. I watched a few documentaries that helped me understand the environmental impact of the meat industry on the scale it is now. I like animals but I don't have experience with pets besides dogs cats and turtles. But I hear pigs and cows are smart and can be affectionate.
I dunno. Again just curious what drove your choice. I just like having perspective

#7 Lucrezia

Lucrezia

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:00 AM

I never liked seeing animals hurt, and I always had understanding from where the meat and animal products come from. I know I was 'the problem' child since I even didn't like cheese, but I never was vegan (didn't know ingredients in food on many occasions). Then when I started working I slowly transitioned to vegetarian for couple of months and after that full on vegan

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

#8 meadowfairy

meadowfairy

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2507 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:59 AM

My friend I met in highschool and her siblings were raised vegetarian (their dad was a Hindu priest although the siblings were no longer practicing). I was inspired by this and started reading stuff online and it just made sense, 14 years later and I've never looked back.

I also read the World Peace Diet by William Tuttle that inspired me to be vegan again. It might be too woowoo hippydippy for some people but I love it. Haha

Sent from outer space using alien technology
Spoiler

#9 Extraspearmint

Extraspearmint

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • LocationPNW, USA

Posted 16 July 2020 - 10:47 AM

I switched to veganism for moral reasons and so far it's been a bit of uncomfortable since my safe foods were mostly meat and I'm have sensitivity to tofu, quinoa, and hemp seeds. 

What made me switch suddenly was not wanting to financially  prop up things I don't agree with. I still do to some degree of course (for ex, I pay taxes and my country uses that money to do things I dislike) but it isn't really something I can fully achieve while being alive I guess. I think in the past year leading up to it I also read alot of studies and articles on animal intelligence and I started to empathize more with animals. 

5'10" and fat
will actually add stats when I hit my first GW lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users