Just got PCOS diagnosis - Illness or Injury - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Just got PCOS diagnosis

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jayjayy

jayjayy

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Locationi wish i knew

Posted 17 July 2020 - 08:11 AM

Okay u guys. I did think abt it as a possibility already. Especially since my mother is a sufferer of this and insulin resistance as well. She's had diordered eating herself and used to be underweight for the most part of her life
Gained heaps because of pcos and various medications to treat her personality disorders and the depression during the past 5-10 years
The doc couldn't give me any useful information other than looking for what ever diet might be best for me. Little to no carbs, no processed foots or soy etc (metabolism is significantly slower than of a healthy women my age. Abt 1400 max (I'm 5'5, 19yrs)
Oh man I feel kinda betrayed. I don't really want to take bc or some medication really. I'm hella scared it could make me gain
Does somebody have the diagnosis as well? What did you do about it? Are you still able to lose? How many calories and how lang does/ did it take you? Any remedies? I'm thankful for every advice or answer. Fuck man I'm very pissed and sad

Focusing on starting over in long term rehab starting 02/18/20

Won't have access to electrical appliances for an indefinite period

am very scared yet hoping for the best nevertheless T^T

Thank yall for your support :3

Stats

Spoiler

source.gif

diagnosis

Spoiler

Sober since

10/21/2019 

02/10/2020

06/16/2020

#2 activecheesecake

activecheesecake

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2566 posts
  • Locationwonderland

Posted 17 July 2020 - 08:32 AM

sorry to hear that, that sucks :\

having PCOS is one of my fears, because of the weight gain/it's harder to lose weight. i always see overweight youtubers making vids on it saying that's why they can't lose weight, but i wonder if they're just using it as an excuse? (hopefully) i hope someone can help you here on mpa

BODY CHECKS

ElaborateMajorHermitcrab-max-1mb.gif

CW: 105 (BMI 16.7)

Last weigh in: 2020/08/06

150   130   110  100

GW: 88

#3 bongonuts

bongonuts

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 11:38 AM

wow I'm shocked the Dr. actually recommended that diet, he's totally right but most just want to put you on medication and will never talk about diet suggestions lol. probably cause so many women refuse to eat that way and they give up trying. I spent a lot of time on a PCOS forum and they were all too stubborn to do low carb and make the most ridiculous excuses.

but literally that is THE absolute best thing you can do for PCOS. plus some daily exercise. birth control doesn't do anything to actually HELP, just makes things not get worse. your cysts will still be there. BC causes too many side effects for me, I was on it for maybe 8-9 months and then gave up cause I hated being nauseous all day.

I'm not overweight, the only time I ever went above 115 is when I had an IUD. Your life isn't over, you can still lose weight. 

#4 plhforlife

plhforlife

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 11:11 PM

I was diagnosed with PCOS 8 years ago after a sudden 80 pound gain. For 6 years I struggled with weight loss. I tried everything. Healthy eating, working out 5 days a week for months, nothing worked. I was so discouraged and angry.

I started doing keto and intermittent fasting. After 9 months, I had lost those 80 pounds. It was like a miracle. After so many years of trying and trying with nothing working, those two things finally did the trick.

Low carb is hard to start, but your body does get used to it. If you decide to go down that road, I definitely recommend doing a lot of research on it to make sure you’re getting your proper macros. The keto flu is real and it sucks lol.

BC helped me a lot. I didn’t gain weight on the one I was put on. I don’t experience the incredible pain during my periods anymore and I get them monthly now for less than a week. I also don’t need to wax my upper lip anymore lol. Before it, the pain was too incredible I couldn’t have a job and I dropped out of college. Now I can work full time and I’m hoping to go back to school soon.

#5 jayjayy

jayjayy

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Locationi wish i knew

Posted 18 July 2020 - 04:53 AM

Trust me I've turned into my own living nightmare since I am in utter fear of becoming one of the persons searching for excuses or (what'd be kinda worse?) really not being able to lose anything or keep gaining and being looked at the person that doesn't do shit but expects to lose weight anyways. Oh goood I'm having an existential crisis since I've heard abt the diagnosis really :[
But thank you a lot for your caring :3
  • activecheesecake likes this

Stats

Spoiler

source.gif

diagnosis

Spoiler

Sober since

10/21/2019 

02/10/2020

06/16/2020

#6 jayjayy

jayjayy

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Locationi wish i knew

Posted 18 July 2020 - 05:01 AM

Thank you guys a whole lot. You are giving me some hope. I actually did follow the keto diet all of 2019 and lost to my lw. I couldn't keep it up sadly since Christmas came around and my family literally stuffed my face with carbloaded stuff out of sheer worry. I actually did get back into ketosis in January but have been admitted into rehab at the beginning of february and can't really eat the way I did in 2019 since I don't have autonomy here and can't cook nor buy myself stuff. Oh gosh this sounds like a stupid excuse I'm so disgusted by myself really :( I'll definitely find a way to start eating low carb/ keto, moderate or high fat and mkderate protein again I don't care how I'll go about it I just need to get back
Thanks a lot again, I'm happy that the both of you are able to lose again
  • bongonuts likes this

Stats

Spoiler

source.gif

diagnosis

Spoiler

Sober since

10/21/2019 

02/10/2020

06/16/2020

#7 caffeine fix

caffeine fix

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 30 August 2020 - 09:14 PM

I've just been diagnosed too. :( The doctors are so gentle in discussing it because of the fertility issues but for me, the biggest concerns are around weight and knowing that depression will likely be a battle i have to fight forever.
As a teen my BMI was close to 25 but it's 19-20 now (and prev 17.5) so there is hope.
Also, I'm pretty sure Victoria Beckham has PCOS so it's not like PCOS 100% leads to being fat.

#8 nonyabusnass

nonyabusnass

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 01:30 PM

I have PCOS. I was given an IUD, because a full hysterectomy and ovariectomy was too high risk. No weight gain, and through exercise and diet, it stayed that. Until my ED got out of hand and then I'm losing more.

#9 45kgs_

45kgs_

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 01 September 2020 - 01:51 AM

Just got PCOS diagnosis too. And I think that may be why I'm not losing - i am a carb lover lol and thats where i got most of my cals. But now im trying to switch it up to keto and avoid sugar and carbs and just stick to veg and protien. i guess we will see how it goes.......

Height: 5'6 / 168 cm

UGW: 45 kg / 99 lbs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users