Possible permanent nerve damage - Illness or Injury - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Possible permanent nerve damage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kitten13

Kitten13

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 20 July 2020 - 12:04 PM

So long story short, I fell in an IHOP bathroom. I injured my elbow and damaged the nerve.
They won't know if I'll need surgery until after the initial injury heals.
My ring finger and pinky are constantly tingling like they're asleep and I get random shoots of excruciating pain and/or numbness.
I can barely grasp anything.
I have 5 kids and the injury is to my right arm. I'm extremely right dominant.
My youngest child is 1 and I have to be able to pick him up but doing so makes my arm worse. I don't have a choice though.
I'm struggling with basic tasks and I feel like I'm failing my children.
Has anyone experienced anything like this? What did you do?
  • Abbey84 and bongonuts like this

#2 bongonuts

bongonuts

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 11:34 PM

I know this is entirely different, but when I had surgery and they cut through my nerves I had a lot of healing to do. the shooting and burning pains were actually a "good sign" that your nerve is trying to heal. I also have a sensitive nerve above my elbow where if I bend my arm too fast/the wrong way(?) I'll get a shooting numbness down the rest of my arm and it always happens if I'm trying to pick up my kids. if I had to pick them up from my left arm I would bend down on one knee and kinda scoop them up on that side/hip. or if they come running to you, get on the ground for hugs and comfort in your lap. I know it takes quite awhile for nerves to heal, hope it gets better for ya mama.

• Abbey84 and Kitten13 like this

#3 Abbey84

Abbey84

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1178 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 July 2020 - 07:03 AM

I have exactly the same thing as you, OP, in both elbows. I had an operation two years ago where they cut through and freed the nerves in both elbows - trapped ulna nerve release. I'd previously had pain on using/bending my elbows, tingling in my last two fingers, dead feeling, numbness (which ended up being all of them by the time I had it done), painful hands. It was agony sometimes, just menial tasks were painful.

Had the ops (on different arms 6mths between), recovery was pretty quick and after they healed it was amazing relief! No dead arm/hands, no pain! Didn't last long though about a year later and I'm back where I started. Pain almost 24-7 - support bandages help and I wear them every day, but I can't carry heavy loads/shopping for long and am back on painkillers and nortryptilline for nerve pain. Helps somewhat but not great.

I'd have it done again though tomorrow if I could definitely! That one year I felt like I'd been given new arms and hands! Strength returned I felt like terminator - I just wish it lasted longer.

So I say go for the op every time, and it might last longer for you, especially bc it's not as advanced as mine is
  • Kitten13 likes this

#4 Abbey84

Abbey84

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1178 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 July 2020 - 07:06 AM

And my son was older than yours at the time too, 14. Idk how I'd have coped if he was younger and with 5 kids I wish you luck. Hopefully you've got friends or family for support?

#5 Kitten13

Kitten13

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 21 July 2020 - 07:52 AM

And my son was older than yours at the time too, 14. Idk how I'd have coped if he was younger and with 5 kids I wish you luck. Hopefully you've got friends or family for support?

Yes and no.
My SO helps when he can but he works nights and can't help much during most of the day. No one really helps other than him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users