Odd one out - Age 40+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Odd one out

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Woody79

Woody79

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 25 July 2020 - 07:45 AM

Hola Amigos,

So I’m a 41 year old bulimic married man (hence “Odd one out!”), can’t really post on the male page as I think I’d end up looking like a dirty “old” man.  I’ve been bulimic for a few years now, got bullied as a kid about being fat and was quite large throughout my adult life. A few years ago my wife started intermittent fasting and calorie counting and started telling me how many calories were in the food I was eating (not being nasty about it), so I started doing it to and the weight just fell off of me. Unfortunately I started to worry about putting the weight back on so I started working out every day, paying attention to my macros etc, before you know it I’m restricting certain foods, placing foods into “good” and “bad” categories. Then on Christmas Eve I ate a Slice of Christmas cake, and then another and before you know it it was gone, omfg the guilt, the shame and the self loathing I’m sure you guys know. Anyway I purged and afterwards I don’t know how I felt but I know it never stopped.

you guys know the rest, the cycle, the feelings etc. I got on this site a while ago as I didn’t know where to go, some days are better than others and sometimes you have to just “purge” your feelings, even if it’s to a blank screen.

Thanks for letting me post 

• Elspeth, *~pixie angelheart~*, thelostkitten and 3 others like this

#2 Thaisa

Thaisa

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 09:40 AM

Hola Amigos,

So I’m a 41 year old bulimic married man (hence “Odd one out!”), can’t really post on the male page as I think I’d end up looking like a dirty “old” man.  I’ve been bulimic for a few years now, got bullied as a kid about being fat and was quite large throughout my adult life. A few years ago my wife started intermittent fasting and calorie counting and started telling me how many calories were in the food I was eating (not being nasty about it), so I started doing it to and the weight just fell off of me. Unfortunately I started to worry about putting the weight back on so I started working out every day, paying attention to my macros etc, before you know it I’m restricting certain foods, placing foods into “good” and “bad” categories. Then on Christmas Eve I ate a Slice of Christmas cake, and then another and before you know it it was gone, omfg the guilt, the shame and the self loathing I’m sure you guys know. Anyway I purged and afterwards I don’t know how I felt but I know it never stopped.

you guys know the rest, the cycle, the feelings etc. I got on this site a while ago as I didn’t know where to go, some days are better than others and sometimes you have to just “purge” your feelings, even if it’s to a blank screen.

Thanks for letting me post 

Hello and welcome! From my experience, the folks in this sub forum are a friendly bunch, if a bit quiet. You are certainly not alone. I am 42 and bulimic. I try pretty hard to  minimize my binge purge frequency, but I end up doing it about once a month inevitably. For me it is more about numbing emotions than anything else. I eat keto and don't really have food cravings. I find that I am usually very tired and emotionally upset when I end up doing it. Sending you warm thoughts and cyber support. 

• *~pixie angelheart~* and Woody79 like this

Current weight: 123-126

Height: 5'6"

Ortho athlete

40+

Goal: nutritious eating without purging + to get back to my lean weight of 115 lbs

#3 *~pixie angelheart~*

*~pixie angelheart~*

Omniscient

• Supporter
  • 6040 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico (US)

Posted 25 July 2020 - 05:57 PM

You are definitely NOT alone. I've had quite a few a male friends here over the years, who were your age, older, and MUCH older, married and unmarried.  :) 

As far as what you're going through right now... I was in a very similar situation at one time, only it was many years ago. I was 28 or 29, I think. I had been anorexic for several years already but had no idea that I actually had an eating disorder. Then, all of a sudden, I started binging, and of course, the fear of weight-gain led me to purging. It was at that point that I finally realized that something was "wrong" with me, and that's when I first went into therapy. In any case, I was able to kick the binging and purging to the curb fairly quickly, because I had hated feeling so out-of-control. When I finally stopped the binging and purging, I vowed that I would never again go back to those behaviors, and I haven't. Even now, if I eat more than I feel like I should have, even if it's A LOT more, I force myself to live with the consequences. I REFUSE to purge, because I know what HELL lies down the road if I start that up again.  :(  Good luck to you! Falling into binging and purging behaviors felt like HELL ON EARTH to me, so I know what you're going through...

• Granger, Thaisa, shannie and 1 other like this

55-years-old

5'5"

Current BMI: "Normal" (i.e., FAT!)

Usual ED Diagnosis: 

AN (restricting type)

Lowest Adult Weight: 87 lbs (BMI 14.5)

HW: 165 lbs (pregnancy)

GW: 90 lbs (BMI 15)

~accountability~

https://www.myproana.com/index.php/topic/4037131-angelhearts-hope-refusing-to-give-up-pics//

~pics~

https://www.myproana.com/index.php/gallery/album/5861-pics-of-me/

#4 ButtonsAligned

ButtonsAligned

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1322 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 July 2020 - 06:03 AM

Hola Woody79
Your voice is welcome here
  • Woody79 likes this

It's always a good time for tea.

Please visit my current art project gallery and feel free to leave comments .

depositphotos_83105252-stock-illustratio

#5 Disciplined gal

Disciplined gal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 07:59 PM

Hi! I am new too! Welcome!! I am female but I think we can all share in the struggle of being at this age and dealing with these type of issues. Glad you are here.
  • shannie and Woody79 like this
Last starting weight: 130
———————————
Current weight: 109.5
———————————
Goal weight 1= 110
Goal weight 2= 105
Goal weight 3= 100

#6 shannie

shannie

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2040 posts
  • LocationDown South

Posted 08 August 2020 - 05:02 PM

Hi and welcome!

I can so relate to the shame because “at this age” we’re “supposed” to have already developed these amazing positive coping skills!! Ugh

I’m really glad you’re here and hope you find this a place of understanding and encouragement.
  • Woody79, HongKongPhooey and Beautifulstrggl like this
Ht. 5'3"
CW 79
BMI 14

LW 78
GW ???

#7 thinstrument

thinstrument

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2499 posts
  • LocationUpper Midwest...where it's cold

Posted 09 August 2020 - 08:14 PM

Hi and welcome!

I can so relate to the shame because “at this age” we’re “supposed” to have already developed these amazing positive coping skills!! Ugh

I’m really glad you’re here and hope you find this a place of understanding and encouragement.

I feel like I want that on a T-shirt.  "THIS IS MY COPING SKILL"

Off to cafepress I go lol

• shannie and Woody79 like this

I ramble online at Carrots In My Carryon

#8 Fatcat1971

Fatcat1971

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2744 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 05:45 PM

Hi there! 49-year old restrictive anorexic. Nice to meet you!
  • Woody79 likes this

#9 djsta

djsta

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNYC, USA

Posted 19 August 2020 - 07:04 AM

Don’t let your age hold you back from posting in the male forum...I’m 42 (chronologically) going on 30 (physiologically) and it’s fine and I’m sure you would be welcome :)

#EDNOS - self dx; with restrictive and orthorexic features, throwing bouts of BED for good measure 😩

72 inches tall

29 inch waistline

SW 242.6 (07-01-2019) BF 31.1%

GW1 160 (03-28-2020) BF 14.8%

GW2 155 (04-07-2020) BF 13.9%

GW3 150 (04-21-2020) 12.8%

CW 151.4 (10-01-2020) BF 8.9%

UGW 145/BF 7%...or maybe less?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users