Trying to get pregnant but struggle with ED recovery - Pregnancy - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Trying to get pregnant but struggle with ED recovery

Amenorrhea Pregnancy Menstrual cycle Married Late 20s Over exercise Hormones Advice Depression

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hitomii

Hitomii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 04:38 PM

So my husband & have been together about 8yrs.(married for slighly under 1 year though) We have always wanted to start a family. Ive been going through ED recovery for the last 2yrs officially or so though.
My BMI just barely made it into the normal range yet for the last 8 months or so, I havnt had a period. When I went to the DR, she diagnosed me with amenorrhea which she said was largely likely attributed to over exercise & a low body weight. The only way to get my cycle back would be to gain some weight.

So fast fwd to today (2 months after appointment) & I have definitely gained a little bit of weight but nothing has worked. I still don't have my period & I feel hopeless. Not to mention how much I absolutely hate the way I look. I feel so torn & so frustrated!

Does anyone else have a similar situation? I'm absolutely terrified & anxious over all of this.

#2 back_to_skinny

back_to_skinny

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2303 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 26 July 2020 - 12:16 AM

Idk if this helps but after months of overexercising and undereating and as a consequence ending up without a period, the body needs a while to stabilise its hormones and for its period to return. For me personally, it happened somewhere between six and nine months). Have you stopped exercising? Do you eat enough healthy fats? I've read numerous times that healthy fats should have a positive effect on hormones as well.

What was your BMI and what is your current BMI? For a me a BMI of 18 still works periodwise but anything lower not really.

Affirmation for November 
❤ let love and self-love guide you through these crazy times ❤ 

my stats, accountability thread and thinspiration 

Spoiler

Spoiler

FtGE.gif

...being a loving partner...

qIaap1.png

#3 Hitomii

Hitomii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 09:24 AM

Idk if this helps but after months of overexercising and undereating and as a consequence ending up without a period, the body needs a while to stabilise its hormones and for its period to return. For me personally, it happened somewhere between six and nine months). Have you stopped exercising? Do you eat enough healthy fats? I've read numerous times that healthy fats should have a positive effect on hormones as well.

What was your BMI and what is your current BMI? For a me a BMI of 18 still works periodwise but anything lower not really.

I'm 5'4.
In early may, I weighed 110. July 3rd I had it to 112/113. I havnt weighed myself in a few weeks but i've been eating much more & dialing back on the exercise. I see/feel the body changes & its killing me. I know i have to do it if i wanna move on with my life but its making me insane. Makes me wonder how i'm actually going to deal wth actually being pregnant...

I want to believe so badly that I can still have my habits while being able to have healthy hormonal functions but its just not possible. My lowest was 100 & I was a wreck but I felt so accomplished & proud of myself. I cant have that if I want to be healthy enough to carry...

Yet i still join these stupid weight loss challenges & track my caloric intake to try not to get it over 1100-1200 nowadays which is a huge improvement from the 800 I was getting before. ‍♀Especially when I know someone of my height & activity range should be 2300 calories right off the bat. Yes--my eating disorder shutters at the thought but its the truth. Ive have enough professional help with this throughout my life to know what I should be doing yet I still want to believe i'm the exception to the rule.

I'm absolutely terrified to weigh myself now but if I had to guess i'm probably 115/116? Still nothing =/

Fuck eating disorders. Sorry for the extra rant lol

• back_to_skinny likes this

#4 MC33

MC33

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3007 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 10:34 AM

My cycle didn't come back until I stopped restricting and was solidly normal weight.But interestingly, it took full physical recovery to even have the mental clarity to realize how much I actually wanted a baby and then I wanted it more than anything and didn't even care about my weight (believe it or not). (PS. He's amazing) xx

• ElleEthereal, envy2bThin, back_to_skinny and 1 other like this

#5 Hitomii

Hitomii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 11:02 PM

My cycle didn't come back until I stopped restricting and was solidly normal weight.But interestingly, it took full physical recovery to even have the mental clarity to realize how much I actually wanted a baby and then I wanted it more than anything and didn't even care about my weight (believe it or not). (PS. He's amazing) xx

That was beautiful. I really amazed you were able to achieve all of that. Congratulations & keep up the good work! I feel so selfish for caring so much about my weight still. =[

#6 envy2bThin

envy2bThin

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Locationsouth africa

Posted 30 July 2020 - 01:54 AM

So my husband & have been together about 8yrs.(married for slighly under 1 year though) We have always wanted to start a family. Ive been going through ED recovery for the last 2yrs officially or so though.
My BMI just barely made it into the normal range yet for the last 8 months or so, I havnt had a period. When I went to the DR, she diagnosed me with amenorrhea which she said was largely likely attributed to over exercise & a low body weight. The only way to get my cycle back would be to gain some weight.

So fast fwd to today (2 months after appointment) & I have definitely gained a little bit of weight but nothing has worked. I still don't have my period & I feel hopeless. Not to mention how much I absolutely hate the way I look. I feel so torn & so frustrated!

Does anyone else have a similar situation? I'm absolutely terrified & anxious over all of this.

i most defiantly dont have the similar situation right now, but i sure did went through the same at some point.

i have been trying to get pregnant since 2015, and i too couldnt get my periods as well,but i was never underweight, always at the lower side of the healthy weight,

i exercised a lot, binged and purdges, fasting, ristricting,you name it, my ED took over my life,

i was never even brave enough to go get tested becasuse i always knew to that i needed to stop what i was doing and gain weight to get pregnant.

2018, i planned to run an ultra marathon in 2019, so i started training for it

but it was only 2 months before the race(that was april 2019) that i made a decision to stop abusing myself .

it was hard but i forced myself to gain weight, and i hated every minute of it, coz i had gained a lot and now everyone started saying i look fat, but towards the end of the year i started having regular periods

and i am now on my 3rd month of pregnancy as i text this.

trying to gain weight is hard,

becoz you still need a meal plan and when and what to eat. and you have to make the right food choices here. 

i hope this helps and give you hope.

i wish you all the best,

i jnow what you are going through is hard. sending all love and hugs

• back_to_skinny likes this

#7 back_to_skinny

back_to_skinny

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2303 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 30 July 2020 - 03:56 AM

I'm 5'4.
In early may, I weighed 110. July 3rd I had it to 112/113. I havnt weighed myself in a few weeks but i've been eating much more & dialing back on the exercise. I see/feel the body changes & its kiling me. I know i have to do it if i wanna move on with my life but its making me insane. Makes me wonder how i'm actually going to deal wth actually being pregnant...
I want to believe so badly that I can still have my habits while being able to have healthy hormonal functions but its just not possible. My lowest was 100 & I was a wreck but I felt so accomplished & proud of myself. I cant have that if I want to be healthy enough to carry...
Yet i still join these stupid weight loss challenges & track my caloric intake to try not to get it over 1100-1200 nowadays which is a huge improvement from the 800 I was getting before. ‍♀Especially when I know someone of my height & activity range should be 2300 calories right off the bat. Yes--my eating disorder shutters at the thought but its the truth. Ive have enough professional help with this throughout my life to know what I should be doing yet I still want to believe i'm the exception to the rule.
I'm absolutely terrified to weigh myself now but if I had to guess i'm probably 115/116? Still nothing =/
Fuck eating disorders. Sorry for the extra rant lol

Maybe you simply need a bit more time of being at a normal weight, without restricting or putting any other stress on your body.

I feel you that it's extremely challening and I don't know if I'd be able to achieve this myself. But as all the others have written here, in order for hormones to work properly the body needs to realise it's not constantly put under different stressors (overexercise and restricting among them) and it's actually safe to grow a baby.

That's at least my opinion that has been formed by reading numerous scientific articles and personal stories here and in a zerocarb group on FB. Good luck to you, may you find a way to fulfill your dreams and please keep us updated about your journey.

Affirmation for November 
❤ let love and self-love guide you through these crazy times ❤ 

my stats, accountability thread and thinspiration 

Spoiler

Spoiler

FtGE.gif

...being a loving partner...

qIaap1.png

#8 MC33

MC33

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3007 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 04:39 PM

That was beautiful. I really amazed you were able to achieve all of that. Congratulations & keep up the good work! I feel so selfish for caring so much about my weight still. =[

<3<3<3

#9 Hitomii

Hitomii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:42 AM

i most defiantly dont have the similar situation right now, but i sure did went through the same at some point.

i have been trying to get pregnant since 2015, and i too couldnt get my periods as well,but i was never underweight, always at the lower side of the healthy weight,

i exercised a lot, binged and purdges, fasting, ristricting,you name it, my ED took over my life,

i was never even brave enough to go get tested becasuse i always knew to that i needed to stop what i was doing and gain weight to get pregnant.

2018, i planned to run an ultra marathon in 2019, so i started training for it

but it was only 2 months before the race(that was april 2019) that i made a decision to stop abusing myself .

it was hard but i forced myself to gain weight, and i hated every minute of it, coz i had gained a lot and now everyone started saying i look fat, but towards the end of the year i started having regular periods

and i am now on my 3rd month of pregnancy as i text this.

trying to gain weight is hard,

becoz you still need a meal plan and when and what to eat. and you have to make the right food choices here. 

i hope this helps and give you hope.

i wish you all the best,

i jnow what you are going through is hard. sending all love and hugs

"i had gained a lot and now everyone started saying i look fat"

Jesus Christ that's fucking terrible. I'm so sorry you had to go through that at such a vulnerable time. It's incredible that you were able to pull through & make yourself gain the weight. You're so brave & I wish you all the best of luck through your pregnancy

Maybe you simply need a bit more time of being at a normal weight, without restricting or putting any other stress on your body.

I feel you that it's extremely challenging and I don't know if I'd be able to achieve this myself. But as all the others have written here, in order for hormones to work properly the body needs to realize it's not constantly put under different stressors (overexercise and restricting among them) and it's actually safe to grow a baby.

That's at least my opinion that has been formed by reading numerous scientific articles and personal stories here and in a zerocarb group on FB. Good luck to you, may you find a way to fulfill your dreams and please keep us updated about your journey.

This is all very true. I've been working with a dietician for years. I definitely will keep everyone updated

Thanks so much you guys

#10 MmeFate

MmeFate

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1016 posts
  • LocationMiddle Earth

Posted 01 August 2020 - 09:44 AM

I had to go back to normal BMI to get my cycles regular again too. Though they fucked up on their own and I had anovulation due to hypothyroidism I found out after trying for almost a year (my cycles were all over the place... 50 days, one time 90...). Now that's treated I've had a few more cycles around 35 day ones and no luck yet but I'm staying hopeful.

Hard to stay positive during this kind of thing but odds are more likely you eventually will get pregnant than you won't. Chilling out on having tons of caffeine also seems to help my cycles and fertility in general (supposedly lol nothing to say for it yet). I have a cup a day, take my prenatals and only have an alcoholic drink during hell week lol. Ovulation strips have been helpful too

If you ever want to chat feel free to send me a message. Honesly I've found this to be a pretty shitty and isolating experience so it would be nice to have a friend on here who gets it, if you feel like talking anyways. My only IRL friends who have kids tell me they conceived first month and they really just don't understand this journey because of their luck.

Hope you have a good day xoxo

• Hitomii likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Amenorrhea, Pregnancy, Menstrual cycle, Married, Late 20s, Over exercise, Hormones, Advice, Depression

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users