Pseudoephedrine and Why You Shouldn't Use It. - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Pseudoephedrine and Why You Shouldn't Use It.

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Grimmley'sSS

Grimmley'sSS

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:11 PM

POPULAR

Let me explain:

First off, pseudoephedrine and Ephedrine/ephedra are fucking banned in pretty much every country. So unless you live in Turkey AND have a prescription I highly fucking doubt what you're taking is Ephedrine or it's diasteromer pseudoephedrine. So that alone is already a huge symptom of bullshit. More likely you're taking phenylephrine. Which is crap. And yes I am aware it is technically legal in the UK in small purchases of like 650-750mg, but you have to purchase it through a pharmacist and they're still highly unlikely to sell it to you because they can get their license revoked and have their entire livelihood and career taken with one fell swoop if it is believed or even suggested they may have sold it to someone who manifests any symptoms of misuse. This includes weight class and gender stereotyping. Because it is known to be abused specifically by bulimics. 🙄

Further more, even if you are taking pseudoephedrine, it is a completely different structure from Ephedrine/ ephedra. Yes they are diasteromers, but that doesn't mean they work the same. In fact it literally means the opposite. Just cuz they're essentially mirrored twins doesn't mean they're actual twins.

Ephedrine has a configuration of 1R,2S while pseudoephedrine is 1S,2S. So while Ephedrine directly and effectively acts on andrenergic receptors as well as indirectly acts by displacing NE from the storage vesicles. Pseudoephedrine only primarily acts indirectly by subtly displacing NE from the storage vesicles and barely does anything at all to effect the andrenergic receptors. So little in fact that there's barely any point in referencing it.

Add to this that you're never gonna have a pure form of pseudoephedrine because the way you're getting it is probably through a GD decongestant, you're also consuming a property called "tachyphylaxis" which is a superspeed effect for how your body reacts to the drug in question. Making decongestants useless and lethal because the use of these products leads quickly to blood vessels popping in your brain. Carbon Dioxide builds up in the nasal tissue from using these decongestants, causing the blood vessels to dilate and leading to fluid seepage through the vessel pores that increase congestion overall. Literally this means that using any decongestants (especially when you don't actually need one and are just trying to abuse the small amount of pseudoephedrine that MIGHT be in it) will lead to difficulty breathing, chronic -commonly irreversible- nasal congestion that can disturb your overall sinus thytm and ENT system as well as your hearing, your vision, your senses, your tonsils, your oral health, your lungs by extension, and your voice.

Also pseudoephedrine is horrible for your heart just a quick side note. But back to the chemical lecture lmao.

You're abusing this for weight loss goals.

It's not gonna work. Not really. Here's why:

Pseudoephedrine (which you're definitely not taking, but let's pretend you are) has three actions. They are:

•Alpha 1 Receptors

•Beta 1 Receptors

•Beta 2 Receptors

When they act on these receptors, here is their respective reactions.

•A1

~ increase the IP3/DAG
{Leading to vasoconstriction}

•B1

~ increases the cAMP in the heart.

{Literally this means it increases the rate and the force of contraction which inevitably leads to tachycardia} \\ that's science speak for your heart goes ooey kablooey all over your little black dress.

•B2

~ also increases the cAMP. But specifically, when activating the the B2 receptor with pseudoephedrine you are directly damaging the bronchioles. Other organs too but most significantly is the bronchioles. Which is one of the tiniest channels into the segmental bronchi divide leading air into the bronchopulmonary segments which allow for you to do silly unnecessary things like BREATHING. When you damage the bronchioles -specifically the respiratory and terminal bronchioles- it doesn't even matter if you don't damage the longer and wider channels because you are making it extravagantly more improbable for air to get through to your lungs. It'll just build up like pressure in the larger tubes and push against this tiny little straw without the ability for oxygen to successfully travel to your alveolar sacs. This can lead your alveolar sacs to LITERALLY -not hyperbole- LITERALLY POP!

But with pseudoephedrine specifically and how it reacts w B2 you're getting a very different problem typically. Called Bronchodilatation. This isn't typically seen as a problem. For people WITH ATSHMA. But if your bronchus isn't already constricted and you're using a fucking chemical that causes bronchodilatation you're playing with the devil. And not in some cutesy aesthetic bitch witch way. Because overly dilating your bronchus leads to permanent abnormal widening of the bronchial tubes which causes chronic infection. This happens because you have abused a substance that makes your bronchi comically and uncommonly enlarged. Because of this the normal structure of your bronchi is permanently altered and destroyed, being replaced with severe amounts of scar tissue. Pustules then gather in the bronchi and breathing becomes often irreversibly impinged. So now you're blessed with chronic bronchial infections and bronchial spasms from inflammation and swelling and high levels of invasion I to your bronchus by a wide variety of immune cells that are not supposed to be there. So now you have this abnormal ever increasing influx of blood vessels that keeps growing. Which is BAD. And CAN kill you. Easily. Can also lead to comatose which is always super sexy. Oh. And this increased dilation can also lead to oxygen toxicity. Which also causes death.

Aside from all of this shit it also acts on the CNS receptor. Which causes extreme bouts of anxiety, agitation, tremors, and hallucinations.

The ENTIRE reason pseudoephedrine can potentially help SOME people lose MINOR amounts of weight WHEN ABUSED "sufficiently" is because it's increasing your anxiety tenfold, making your brain shit itself with overactive hallucinations and physical body ticks and tremors. Plus it's forcing more air into your body which is making you think youre more satiated because it's pumping you up w excess amounts of air that your poor lungs and bronchioles CANNOT HANDLE while simultaneously damaging the fuck out of your heart giving you persistent random mini heart colvulsions.

So, you're not losing weight. You're gaining a death sentence. And it's gonna bloat you out like a suckled pig. Stick an apple in your mouth and call yourself Wilbur. Pseudoephedrine isn't even going to make you eat less. In fact for most people it makes them more hungry because their body becomes depleted quickly because it's in extreme distress. The only difference is you're also gonna be uncomfortable as fuck trying to eat because of all the excess pressure from the added air pooling into your body that alveolar can't clear because it has the SLOWEST rate of particle clearance in the entirety of the respiratory body. So you're gonna be hungry as fuck, bloated as fuck, all the calories you're burning that look like weight on the scale dropping is from your heart's mass decreasing, and you're gonna be paranoid and probably crying a fuck ton with no understanding for why your system is so out of whack and why you feel like shit and why you're so depressed. Plus only so much of your heart and your other organs can deplete before you suffer organ failure. So weight on the scale isn't even gonna decrease more than a couple of pounds. It's illusionary at best. And so wildly dangerous for no real payout not reason. If your goal is to be out of your gourd tripping balls and dry heaving, panic nauseated and borderline suicidal with permanent damage to your internal structure for an extremely minimal and noncommittal weight loss that ultimately slows down your metabolism and makes you hate yourself and everyone around you before potentially dying or suffering chronic inconvenience from heart, lung, and nervous system damage. Go for it. But a. Objectively you should seriously reconsider that ambition. b. I highly doubt you deserve that level of suffering. And c. We're all here dealing w similar problems, there are so many safer avenues to get what you want that I'm sure most of us would be more than happy to keep you alive with alternative tips and tricks that won't destroy your life. That being said, it is your life and I'm not gonna harp on you about it. I just think you deserve all the information before playing with a death sentence. There is a reason why this substance is illegal. Hell, there are thousands of reasons, but just so you know ****ephedrine and pseudoephedrine, much like meth was made illegal by drug companies not because the drug companies want to say "lol you don't deserve to be skinny." They did it because it was being abused by drug addicts trying to get high at and it led to an overwhelming amount of deaths from abuse and misuse which led to crisis. By this I mean the main reason anyone abuses it is for the high, any and all weight loss is a side effect from organ damage which is minimal, unreliable, and unmaintainable. ****
  • Cymmetry, chunghas, snoochiesmiggles and 52 others like this
Salvation is on every street corner and you take one space or you give it.

I'm average and screwed up enough that I might just write a song that will live forever. And then it's all going to be worth it.

#2 Septsys

Septsys

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:16 PM

This.

Sent from my handheld EMF emitter
  • Grimmley'sSS likes this

#3 Blunder_Road

Blunder_Road

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3503 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:19 PM

Thank you for this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Grimmley'sSS likes this

How strange it is to be anything at all.

tumblr_nmepjy9p3v1sn75h6o1_540.jpg

#4 misterandry

misterandry

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:27 PM

The chronic sinus issue thing is REAL, I stopped using pseudoephedrine after a few months (it wasn't useful after the first few) and had a runny nose for basically the next two years. 

• Grimmley'sSS, .uo and Abbey84 like this

H: 5'5  |  CW: no  |  GW: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#5 ConsumedByVanity

ConsumedByVanity

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:40 PM

Can't agree to disagree on science.

Thanks for this!
  • Grimmley'sSS and .uo like this

#6 WanderingLove

WanderingLove

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2188 posts
  • LocationYour imagination

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:11 PM

I have a friend who's recently had to face the damage done by ephedrine abuse. She's closely monitored and on so many medications now just to keep herself running. Serious damage to her lungs and heart.
20yo bipolar mess
Longtime self-harmer, this starving crap is just a side gig.

Triggering Challenge
CHRISTIAN HANGOUT THREAD
Rant/musings thread

Come join the pancake party!

#7 Jlynn82

Jlynn82

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:52 PM

Thank you for explaining the difference between pseudoephedrine and ephedrine! I was a bit surprised the other day to see people on MPA asking about taking pseudoephedrine for weight loss... It's an ingredient in my allergy medication and it definitely does not act the same way as ephedrine...

• Hideous Corpse, Grimmley'sSS, cubedgame and 2 others like this

#8 MadForGarlic

MadForGarlic

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12161 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 10:23 PM

Ephedra herbs(ma huang) are prescribed by traditional korean medicine doctors and it's called as 'herbal medicine diet'. Very popular in korean girls as well as amphetamine(advertised and prescribed as a diet pill oops) 🙄 korea is crazy lmaoo.
  • Anamia., anaforgotten, .uo and 2 others like this
Spoiler

#9 VaporwaveGirl

VaporwaveGirl

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3447 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 11:52 PM

People think they can take the easy way out is why
  • Abbey84 likes this

◆      O N L Y    P R O G R E S S    M A T T E R S      ◆ 

giphy.gif

◆      I obsess over food, not eating      

◆  136 - 134 - 132 - 130 - 128 - 126 - 124 - 122 - 120 - 118  

117 - 115 - 113 - 112 - 110 - 108 - 106 - 105 - 103 - 100   

Accountability:

Tips and Tricks Guide (With thinspo and memes)

Spoiler

Spoiler

#10 Abbey84

Abbey84

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1173 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 July 2020 - 06:10 AM

People think they can take the easy way out is why

Yeah anything rather than cutting calories and upping your exercise a bit
  • thelostkitten and VaporwaveGirl like this

#11 p-p-pr0mpt0

p-p-pr0mpt0

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 06:35 AM

Okay, shelving my plans for ECA stack using pseudo 🤦‍♀️ thank you for typing this out
  • snoochiesmiggles and unworthyliving like this

I often don't know what I'm saying 

#12 zambian meat

zambian meat

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:54 PM

She put us on blast. Ty for the facts
  • anaforgotten likes this

ht: 4'11

gw: 90

ugw: 85

cw: 91

#13 30kg

30kg

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1926 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:24 AM

im confused why everyone is saying ephedrine is illegal everywhere because all i need to do is walk into a walgreens and show id at the counter (and i only initially purchased it because i was sick and couldnt breathe n it legit helped). its not banned in the usa at least, just limited bc ppl make meth with it. ive never heard of people taking psuedo instead of ephedrine though thats top tier misinformed lol how do people mess it up that bad. plus the way you get psuedo is the exact same isnt it? no form of this stuff is on the shelves. eca stacking makes you feel like shit though you grow tolerant to chugging all those pills and now i get legitimately nauseous anytime i go near a box of bronkaid lol

• Cari, sillylittlebunny, misscarolina and 6 others like this

ugw 66lbs, cbmi 16

30kilos @ peach

#14 Bluefingered

Bluefingered

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2764 posts
  • LocationLarder in a London flat

Posted 31 July 2020 - 02:16 PM

/nervously laughs in "lives in turkey"/

⁠— an overworked student
  • Glassdreams likes this

SPRING / SUMMER 

end of february gw: 51kg/112lbs (bmi 19.4) ✓

end of march gw: 49kg/108lbs (bmi 18.9) ✓

end of april gw: 47kg/103lbs (bmi 18.1) ✓

end of may gw: 45kg/99lbs (bmi 17.3) 

end of june gw: 43kg/94lbs (bmi 16.5) 

end of july gw: 41kg/90lbs (bmi 15.8) ✓ 

end of august gw: 40kg/88lbs (bmi 15.4) ✓ 

AUTUMN / WINTER

end of september gw: 40kg/88lbs (bmi  15.4)

end of october gw: 39kg/86lbs (bmi 15)

end of november gw: 38kg/84lbs (bmi 14.6)

end of december gw: 37kg/82lbs (bmi 14.2)

lw: 37kg/82lbs (bmi 14.4)

hw: 54kg/120lbs (bmi 21)

height: 161cm

Spoiler

Spoiler

#15 tove lo

tove lo

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 994 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:15 PM

im confused why everyone is saying ephedrine is illegal everywhere because all i need to do is walk into a walgreens and show id at the counter (and i only initially purchased it because i was sick and couldnt breathe n it legit helped). its not banned in the usa at least, just limited bc ppl make meth with it. ive never heard of people taking psuedo instead of ephedrine though thats top tier misinformed lol how do people mess it up that bad. plus the way you get psuedo is the exact same isnt it? no form of this stuff is on the shelves. eca stacking makes you feel like shit though you grow tolerant to chugging all those pills and now i get legitimately nauseous anytime i go near a box of bronkaid lol

Haha seriously. It's so easy to get ephedrine for me. I am not taking it right now because i don't want to screw up my heart anymore than it already is, but yeah... And as far as pseudoephedrine goes - Sudafed is the ONLY thing that actually helps my congedtion when I have a cold, and I LOVE the high I get when I take it for a week straight. Taking ephedrine or pseudoephedrine for weight loss is a bad idea, I just feel like this is a little exaggerated. Idk what do I know, probably less than OP tho. I would never take pseudo for weight loss, and I did meth on and off for 2 years lol
  • misscarolina, Hideous Corpse and 30kg like this

#16 thelostkitten

thelostkitten

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:18 PM

Thank you! This was very well written and so informative

Отправлено с моего ZTE Blade A0722 через Tapatalk
Height : 5'7 / 170cm
Gw: 45-50kg

#17 Bucketfullofeds2

Bucketfullofeds2

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 04:30 PM

I ec stack with pseudoephedrine and I think I will just stick to the caffeine now.

Sinus shit hurts soo bad I don't not want to end up with that shit for life

#18 D.n.A

D.n.A

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1597 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 08:28 AM

I'm in canada and ephedrine is allowed here, just limited and you need to show id. I've been taking it pretty much nonstop for a few years now and find it hard to go without it. (similar to caffeine withdrawal i guess, just very tired/don't feel awake without it). Aside from that, no negative side effects that i've noticed. Has anyone else been on it as long as me? Are people doing alright on it? This thread is scaring me a bit. 

• babydaffodil and misscarolina like this

Hi. 

21 yo, EDNOS

lw: 93 lbs

cw unknown

Spoiler

Spoiler

#19 Karebear2

Karebear2

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1561 posts
  • LocationUk

Posted 02 August 2020 - 04:05 PM

Wish I had seen this post years ago before I started abusing sudafed.. I now have a hole as wide as my index finger in my nose.. definitely can attest to the anxiety and heart going cray cray. No hallucinations or anything here. Definitely suppressed my appetite though. It’s the difference between Going over 1000 cals and staying under 600 cals.. add the productivity bonus I get.. and that’s why I’m stuck here knowing I’m doing so much harm and kidding myself into thinking it can’t be that bad.. telling myself I will stop once I reach *insert weight here* but this post has definitely given me food for thought maybe this is just the push I needed to finally give this shit up.. ☹️
  • snowystar likes this
On my way back down the rabbit hole..

#20 Stonerexiccc

Stonerexiccc

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1769 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM

I think you are referring to pseudo ephedrine. You can't buy ephedrine in the United States. I take pseudo ephedrine for allergies and  have to get it by asking the pharmacists. The sudafed on the shelves at CVS is not the same thing as the stuff behind either

• snowystar likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Miss_maude