Pseudoephedrine and Why You Shouldn't Use It. - Page 8 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Pseudoephedrine and Why You Shouldn't Use It.

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#141 ANAtomist

ANAtomist

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2997 posts
  • LocationIn a mortuary next to an autopsy table OR climbing beyond octaves written by Rachmaninov and Paganini OR cracking the Da Vinci code

Posted 26 April 2021 - 11:15 PM

That's awesome that you love chemistry! i love it too!! Honey, if you study it at the university level you'll learn SOOO much more than what im about to tell you:

The differences in reactivity between a molecule and its diastereomer depend somewhat on what you're looking at. Generally tho, diastereomers will have somewhat similar behavior: they'll have similar heats of combustion and they'll combust to give the same products, but they could have differing acidities, and different solubilities. They are different enough that you can actually separate two diastereomers (liquid liquid extraction technique) when they're both miscible in a solution.

Enantiomers will behave identically in all manners (except optically) UNLESS there is an imbalance of a chiral species present. Recall that a chiral compound has one fellow enantiomer. A racemic mixture has equal amounts of both enantiomers present; this environment is achiral, so enantiomers will behave identically. A mixture that has one enantiomer in greater excess than the other is a chiral enviornment and only then can two enantiomers have two different reactivities. Your body is an example of a chiral environment. Take thalidomide, which is a chiral species. One enantiomer used to be given to relieve nausea in pregnant women. The other causes shortened/shriveled limbs in their babies.

in some cases, one enantiomer can be separated from another. In others, like that of thalidomide, isolation of one enantiomer is not possible because sometimes enantiomers (even some diastereomers/constitutional isomers) interconvert by actually undergoing reactions in solution. This is called tautomerization. If two enantiomers only differ by a rotation about a single bond (no real reaction happening), then they aren't enantiomers, they are conformers.

If you know how to perform literature searches, some useful databases to check out that I use for chemistry are Reaxys, Pubchem/Pubmed, or any journal published through ACS

Wow thank you so much you’re awesome
  • SkinnyVoldy2 and Hazeybabey like this

[Updated: June, 2021] 168cm | 37kg | BMI = 13.1

PLEASE!! THIS IS MY PERSONAL PLEA: DON’T SAY THINGS LIKE “if your BMI is true you need to be hospitalised” or “if your signature is still accurate...” because A. yes? It’s still accurate? It says updated on JUNE 2021, which is like...literally what today is B. why would you think it’s not true? Why do I need to lie on an anonymous site? It’s exactly because I can’t talk about my ED IRL so I have to go online... I’m already struggling & hurting so much, just like how you are too. Imagine you having no support whatsoever, go online to find an outlet, only being questioned for your credibility about your stats and posts, how would you feel? C. yes it might seem low but my highest ever BMI was around 17, I’m premature and have multiple medical conditions that made me weight less/can’t eat much even prior my ED. So yea, 13 is not that bad compare to someone who got here from a much higher HW.

EDC: ANAtomist Da Vinci | Pancakes: ANAtomist van Beethoven

~ AN - r ~

#142 WorldsOnlyFatCeliac

WorldsOnlyFatCeliac

Saw the FNORDs

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12823 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 04:35 PM

I can't use pseudo. I wish I could and would if I could - but it interacts with my preexisting mental issues in such a way that literally no one would live with me or even talk to me. I become not just a bitch, but a psycho horrific unlivable-with person. I really wish I could find some other form of legal "speed" besides just caffeine or pseudo that would help me out because at my advanced age losing weight is like pulling teeth

Nun

nunstockings

gothdancers

Too Dead to Die - Another Sin

Stop! I can't hear it anymore
Never mind what I'm living for
Please, answer to me my only question
Are you perfection? Are you perfection?

#143 TilliLily

TilliLily

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2134 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 05:24 PM

I had no idea it could be abused like that! I've been told to take it every day because of my EDS (ehler danlos syndrome), bc apparently it acts similarly to Adderall (for ADHD) to people with EDS (she said it was an easy way to figure out if someone has it iirc I don't remember) but is better for people with it than Adderall is. I don't take it every day because honestly I prefer Adderall even if it's worse for me, but I'm surprised there are so many issues involved, and I wonder if it's the same for people with EDS as it is for most people (a lot of things work differently for people w it than people who don't have it apparently). My gut instinct is that it is, but I don't understand why she would tell me to take it every day if it really is this bad. (not OTC sudafed, behind the counter pseudoephedrine/Sudafed) 

OMG wait can you explain this more in depth? Or PM me (if PMs are working lol?)

#144 A True Queen

A True Queen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 11:57 AM

I’m literally going to throw my bottle away now thank you.

#145 NebulaTree

NebulaTree

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 08:23 PM

I have honestly never heard of taking pseudo ephedrine for weight loss. But I can really attest to never trying either of these methods. I admittedly did when I was about 15 (I'm 28 now) I didn't even know what it was at the time, but ephedrine was a main ingredient in some diet pills I had been abusing. I remember being in school when I started feeling hot,cold,and sweaty. I ask to go to the nurse, but I didn't even make it down the hall before I collapsed. I had a heart attack. It blew my freekin mind because I didn't have a clue that it was so unsafe AND addictive. I had never done a drug in my life at that point, not even a puff of a cigarette. But I became addicted almost to death of this ingredient. I'm in complete agreement with OP's post. It's SO dangerous.I am personally grateful it is now banned in most states. I wouldn't consider pseudo any more safe, probably worse for your health. OP has the science behind it all there!

#146 morbid_boy

morbid_boy

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 03:01 AM

Let me explain:

First off, pseudoephedrine and Ephedrine/ephedra are fucking banned in pretty much every country. So unless you live in Turkey AND have a prescription I highly fucking doubt what you're taking is Ephedrine or it's diasteromer pseudoephedrine. So that alone is already a huge symptom of bullshit. More likely you're taking phenylephrine. Which is crap. And yes I am aware it is technically legal in the UK in small purchases of like 650-750mg, but you have to purchase it through a pharmacist and they're still highly unlikely to sell it to you because they can get their license revoked and have their entire livelihood and career taken with one fell swoop if it is believed or even suggested they may have sold it to someone who manifests any symptoms of misuse. This includes weight class and gender stereotyping. Because it is known to be abused specifically by bulimics. 🙄

Further more, even if you are taking pseudoephedrine, it is a completely different structure from Ephedrine/ ephedra. Yes they are diasteromers, but that doesn't mean they work the same. In fact it literally means the opposite. Just cuz they're essentially mirrored twins doesn't mean they're actual twins.

Ephedrine has a configuration of 1R,2S while pseudoephedrine is 1S,2S. So while Ephedrine directly and effectively acts on andrenergic receptors as well as indirectly acts by displacing NE from the storage vesicles. Pseudoephedrine only primarily acts indirectly by subtly displacing NE from the storage vesicles and barely does anything at all to effect the andrenergic receptors. So little in fact that there's barely any point in referencing it.

Add to this that you're never gonna have a pure form of pseudoephedrine because the way you're getting it is probably through a GD decongestant, you're also consuming a property called "tachyphylaxis" which is a superspeed effect for how your body reacts to the drug in question. Making decongestants useless and lethal because the use of these products leads quickly to blood vessels popping in your brain. Carbon Dioxide builds up in the nasal tissue from using these decongestants, causing the blood vessels to dilate and leading to fluid seepage through the vessel pores that increase congestion overall. Literally this means that using any decongestants (especially when you don't actually need one and are just trying to abuse the small amount of pseudoephedrine that MIGHT be in it) will lead to difficulty breathing, chronic -commonly irreversible- nasal congestion that can disturb your overall sinus thytm and ENT system as well as your hearing, your vision, your senses, your tonsils, your oral health, your lungs by extension, and your voice.

Also pseudoephedrine is horrible for your heart just a quick side note. But back to the chemical lecture lmao.

You're abusing this for weight loss goals.

It's not gonna work. Not really. Here's why:

Pseudoephedrine (which you're definitely not taking, but let's pretend you are) has three actions. They are:

•Alpha 1 Receptors

•Beta 1 Receptors

•Beta 2 Receptors

When they act on these receptors, here is their respective reactions.

•A1

~ increase the IP3/DAG
{Leading to vasoconstriction}

•B1

~ increases the cAMP in the heart.

{Literally this means it increases the rate and the force of contraction which inevitably leads to tachycardia} \\ that's science speak for your heart goes ooey kablooey all over your little black dress.

•B2

~ also increases the cAMP. But specifically, when activating the the B2 receptor with pseudoephedrine you are directly damaging the bronchioles. Other organs too but most significantly is the bronchioles. Which is one of the tiniest channels into the segmental bronchi divide leading air into the bronchopulmonary segments which allow for you to do silly unnecessary things like BREATHING. When you damage the bronchioles -specifically the respiratory and terminal bronchioles- it doesn't even matter if you don't damage the longer and wider channels because you are making it extravagantly more improbable for air to get through to your lungs. It'll just build up like pressure in the larger tubes and push against this tiny little straw without the ability for oxygen to successfully travel to your alveolar sacs. This can lead your alveolar sacs to LITERALLY -not hyperbole- LITERALLY POP!

But with pseudoephedrine specifically and how it reacts w B2 you're getting a very different problem typically. Called Bronchodilatation. This isn't typically seen as a problem. For people WITH ATSHMA. But if your bronchus isn't already constricted and you're using a fucking chemical that causes bronchodilatation you're playing with the devil. And not in some cutesy aesthetic bitch witch way. Because overly dilating your bronchus leads to permanent abnormal widening of the bronchial tubes which causes chronic infection. This happens because you have abused a substance that makes your bronchi comically and uncommonly enlarged. Because of this the normal structure of your bronchi is permanently altered and destroyed, being replaced with severe amounts of scar tissue. Pustules then gather in the bronchi and breathing becomes often irreversibly impinged. So now you're blessed with chronic bronchial infections and bronchial spasms from inflammation and swelling and high levels of invasion I to your bronchus by a wide variety of immune cells that are not supposed to be there. So now you have this abnormal ever increasing influx of blood vessels that keeps growing. Which is BAD. And CAN kill you. Easily. Can also lead to comatose which is always super sexy. Oh. And this increased dilation can also lead to oxygen toxicity. Which also causes death.

Aside from all of this shit it also acts on the CNS receptor. Which causes extreme bouts of anxiety, agitation, tremors, and hallucinations.

The ENTIRE reason pseudoephedrine can potentially help SOME people lose MINOR amounts of weight WHEN ABUSED "sufficiently" is because it's increasing your anxiety tenfold, making your brain shit itself with overactive hallucinations and physical body ticks and tremors. Plus it's forcing more air into your body which is making you think youre more satiated because it's pumping you up w excess amounts of air that your poor lungs and bronchioles CANNOT HANDLE while simultaneously damaging the fuck out of your heart giving you persistent random mini heart colvulsions.

So, you're not losing weight. You're gaining a death sentence. And it's gonna bloat you out like a suckled pig. Stick an apple in your mouth and call yourself Wilbur. Pseudoephedrine isn't even going to make you eat less. In fact for most people it makes them more hungry because their body becomes depleted quickly because it's in extreme distress. The only difference is you're also gonna be uncomfortable as fuck trying to eat because of all the excess pressure from the added air pooling into your body that alveolar can't clear because it has the SLOWEST rate of particle clearance in the entirety of the respiratory body. So you're gonna be hungry as fuck, bloated as fuck, all the calories you're burning that look like weight on the scale dropping is from your heart's mass decreasing, and you're gonna be paranoid and probably crying a fuck ton with no understanding for why your system is so out of whack and why you feel like shit and why you're so depressed. Plus only so much of your heart and your other organs can deplete before you suffer organ failure. So weight on the scale isn't even gonna decrease more than a couple of pounds. It's illusionary at best. And so wildly dangerous for no real payout not reason. If your goal is to be out of your gourd tripping balls and dry heaving, panic nauseated and borderline suicidal with permanent damage to your internal structure for an extremely minimal and noncommittal weight loss that ultimately slows down your metabolism and makes you hate yourself and everyone around you before potentially dying or suffering chronic inconvenience from heart, lung, and nervous system damage. Go for it. But a. Objectively you should seriously reconsider that ambition. b. I highly doubt you deserve that level of suffering. And c. We're all here dealing w similar problems, there are so many safer avenues to get what you want that I'm sure most of us would be more than happy to keep you alive with alternative tips and tricks that won't destroy your life. That being said, it is your life and I'm not gonna harp on you about it. I just think you deserve all the information before playing with a death sentence. There is a reason why this substance is illegal. Hell, there are thousands of reasons, but just so you know ****ephedrine and pseudoephedrine, much like meth was made illegal by drug companies not because the drug companies want to say "lol you don't deserve to be skinny." They did it because it was being abused by drug addicts trying to get high at and it led to an overwhelming amount of deaths from abuse and misuse which led to crisis. By this I mean the main reason anyone abuses it is for the high, any and all weight loss is a side effect from organ damage which is minimal, unreliable, and unmaintainable. ****

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users