Exercise bike or elliptical? What even is the difference - Exercise - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Exercise bike or elliptical? What even is the difference

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Gain(e)s

Gain(e)s

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4823 posts
  • LocationBikini Bottom

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:34 AM

So I'm moving soon and thought it would be a good idea to get an exercise machine that's not a treadmill. Issue is I don't exactly know the difference between the two and I've been looking for something similar to what my dad bought before I moved to the US (think it was an elliptical) but they're crazy expensive as well and your girl is a broke ass bitch. And while I was looking at exercise bikes their cheapest kinds are the foot pedal ones, which I'm not even sure if they'll be any good. I need opinions here guys.
  • seasnake likes this

go check out my legspo thread 

thinner than thinspo but not bonespo

5'9

ugw: 97/93

#2 Anabunnygirl

Anabunnygirl

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:39 AM

You'll burn a fair amount less on an exercise bike as there is less movement. I would say it depends on your priorities, if you don't have much money to spend a bike is a very fair choice, if you want to burn more calories you can use it for longer and it can be easier to go for a while on exercise bikes too so it could work out just as well in the long run xx

• Gain(e)s likes this

Relationship ended with recovery, now restricting is my best friend (again)

Back on my bullshit as always

5'8

CW:119.5 (18.2) HW:195 (29.6) LW: 88 (13.4)

GW:110 (16.7) UGW:100 (15.2)

Various Dx (primarily AN), ED for 13 years. On-off MPA user since 2014

Check out my accountability! 

A Moon Shaped Pool

-  A   m o o n   s h a p e d   f o o l  -

#3 CICOpath

CICOpath

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1370 posts
  • LocationSOUTH Florida

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:56 AM

Idk your budget but I got a treadmill from this company for under $300 and they also have an elliptical for (fairly) cheap compared to other machines 

https://www.amazon.c...sr_1_4?dchild=1

but yeah you would burn more on an elliptical than a bike if you used both for the same amount of time, but you could make either work for you.  

there's also a bike for way cheaper but it's not super fancy (& it doesn't look comfy) lmao

https://www.amazon.c...QHKPPARRMNRGH2R

then (sorry for all the links lmao) 

https://www.amazon.c...6196415&sr=8-10

• Gain(e)s likes this
gallery_212432_64639_5332.png
Waldo Emerson | 03.04.2020

Join the **UPDATED** Unofficial MPA Chat Lobby!

med_gallery_212432_64639_10501.jpg med_gallery_212432_64639_36087.jpg

#4 Gain(e)s

Gain(e)s

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4823 posts
  • LocationBikini Bottom

Posted 31 July 2020 - 05:10 PM

Idk your budget but I got a treadmill from this company for under $300 and they also have an elliptical for (fairly) cheap compared to other machines

https://www.amazon.c...sr_1_4?dchild=1

but yeah you would burn more on an elliptical than a bike if you used both for the same amount of time, but you could make either work for you.

there's also a bike for way cheaper but it's not super fancy (& it doesn't look comfy) lmao

https://www.amazon.c...QHKPPARRMNRGH2R

then (sorry for all the links lmao)

https://www.amazon.c...6196415&sr=8-10

No, no I appreciate the links! And thank you for the input

5'9

#5 Gain(e)s

Gain(e)s

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4823 posts
  • LocationBikini Bottom

Posted 31 July 2020 - 05:13 PM

You'll burn a fair amount less on an exercise bike as there is less movement. I would say it depends on your priorities, if you don't have much money to spend a bike is a very fair choice, if you want to burn more calories you can use it for longer and it can be easier to go for a while on exercise bikes too so it could work out just as well in the long run xx

Yh I'm not into staying standing and the elliptical machine we had before actually had a seat which I just sat on for an hour. Plus I could play videogames whilst getting exercise

5'9

#6 Calyxx

Calyxx

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1429 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 01:52 AM

I used to train on a exercise bike but tlmy ass would huuuuuurt hahaha it'd hurt faster than my legs haha, I'd try to put some pillow or something to train longer but yeah it sucked.

Now I have an elliptical and I really like it, I can still scroll on my phone and do other shit while standing, because it's not like standing on a treadmill, you can still work your balance and not fall.

Between the two I'd go for the elliptical because of the ass pain lmaooo, also because the movements are closer to walking/running and I like that better.

#7 Gain(e)s

Gain(e)s

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4823 posts
  • LocationBikini Bottom

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:28 AM

I used to train on a exercise bike but tlmy ass would huuuuuurt hahaha it'd hurt faster than my legs haha, I'd try to put some pillow or something to train longer but yeah it sucked.

Now I have an elliptical and I really like it, I can still scroll on my phone and do other shit while standing, because it's not like standing on a treadmill, you can still work your balance and not fall.

Between the two I'd go for the elliptical because of the ass pain lmaooo, also because the movements are closer to walking/running and I like that better.

Oh yeah I forgot about that part! The Ass pains. What I used to do was just stand up when it started hurting. But I deffo putting that into consideration

5'9

#8 seasnake

seasnake

Serpent God of Fasting

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16364 posts
  • LocationHouston, we have a problem

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:44 PM

I find that a $10 exercise ball gives a really nice workout when doing exercise ball youtube videos. I question the effectiveness of it, until the next day comes around and my muscles are exhausted and all the muscles I wasn't much aware of swell up and hurt. At the moment I have muscles between my ribs swollen, so I guess they got a workout. Such balls are a pain to inflate without a compressor and they take up a bit of space. Just sitting on one while watching television, or playing a game, balancing on one leg while placing the other foot around the other knee involves a whole lot of muscles just trying to keep that position stabilized.

I was once told that you are what you eat and then I just cried and cried and cried cause no matter how much I wanted to be one I just couldn't bring myself to eating a skinny person.

My threads:   The Fasting Game    My Fasting Game Spreadsheet    Youtube Exercise Videos (No-Equipment): Organized into Routines    The Whoosh Effect    My Profile    My Pics

#9 Gain(e)s

Gain(e)s

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4823 posts
  • LocationBikini Bottom

Posted 01 August 2020 - 04:29 PM

I find that a $10 exercise ball gives a really nice workout when doing exercise ball youtube videos. I question the effectiveness of it, until the next day comes around and my muscles are exhausted and all the muscles I wasn't much aware of swell up and hurt. At the moment I have muscles between my ribs swollen, so I guess they got a workout. Such balls are a pain to inflate without a compressor and they take up a bit of space. Just sitting on one while watching television, or playing a game, balancing on one leg while placing the other foot around the other knee involves a whole lot of muscles just trying to keep that position stabilized.

I never actually thought about an exercise ball, they seem like such an odd contraption. i'll actually consider it if i decide that a fancy machine is just too much to spend atm (which actually is tbh) 

• seasnake likes this

5'9

#10 seasnake

seasnake

Serpent God of Fasting

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16364 posts
  • LocationHouston, we have a problem

Posted 01 August 2020 - 05:11 PM

I never actually thought about an exercise ball, they seem like such an odd contraption. i'll actually consider it if i decide that a fancy machine is just too much to spend atm (which actually is tbh) 

On last page, Page 8, of my youtube exercise video routines thread at: https://www.myproana...routines/page-8, I tossed together two routines of two hours each of exercise ball videos. At first, when I exercised to the videos, I wasn't sure if they were going to be that beneficial as exercise or not. Then the next day came along and I noticed a whole lot of hard to be able to exercise muscles haven been torn down, and then I came to the conclusion that exercise balls are pretty equivalent to exercising in the water where no muscle gets away from being used. I just did both exercise ball routines again yesterday, and today the muscles between my individual ribs are swollen from being put to work and stretched so much. As a result, I definitely need to periodically do exercise ball videos on an ongoing basis as I simply won't be getting a backyard swimming pool. Even if I got such a pool, my raccoon backyard visiting friends would quickly take it over.

• Gain(e)s likes this

I was once told that you are what you eat and then I just cried and cried and cried cause no matter how much I wanted to be one I just couldn't bring myself to eating a skinny person.

My threads:   The Fasting Game    My Fasting Game Spreadsheet    Youtube Exercise Videos (No-Equipment): Organized into Routines    The Whoosh Effect    My Profile    My Pics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users