How long does it take to lose tolerance for dulcolax? - Bulimia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

How long does it take to lose tolerance for dulcolax?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 noyb mate

noyb mate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:47 AM

i’m up to 200mg at any one time to get the “overdose” effect, i just really cant afford it and i dont like taking tablets let alone handfuls of them... so in your experience how long did it take for your tolerance to go down?

#2 AnaVonPeach

AnaVonPeach

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 05:48 AM

Bump

#3 Cutsandcollarbones

Cutsandcollarbones

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:11 AM

I used to take around 40 tablets of 5mg when I was laxing the worst...but then for around 6 months I attempted self-recovery and was completely clean. Now that I've relapsed I've lost my tolerance and 5 tablets do the trick. But I take them very rarely, like once every month or so.

Sent from my SM-N770F using Tapatalk

#4 MindreAna

MindreAna

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3097 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:20 AM

It took several years for my tolerance to creep up to regularly taking 20 at a time and it kind of seemed like there was a maximum effect I could reach too, like if I took 40-60 in one go would just mean same cleaned out result in the same time frame with the addition of pooping out the excess pills whole undigested.

I haven’t taken brand name dulcolax in about 4 years because I switched to generic bisacodyl and when I made the switch my tolerance was super low all of a sudden again, with generic bisacodyl my tolerance has never changed in these 4 years, I usually take 6 at a time for an extreme effect. If I take more I have to contend with nausea and fight vomitting and the effect will be kicking in for like two days straight of just pooping water and mucus.

So I’m not sure but maybe Dulcolax brand has something in the gastroresistant coating that means it doesn’t break down as easily when you purge regularly and don’t have the usual acids and such in your system to dissolve it and that’s why with dulcolax brand specifically my tolerance got messed up and with generic bisacodyl it has never changed?

#5 MyBeautifulPain

MyBeautifulPain

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:31 AM

It took several years for my tolerance to creep up to regularly taking 20 at a time and it kind of seemed like there was a maximum effect I could reach too, like if I took 40-60 in one go would just mean same cleaned out result in the same time frame with the addition of pooping out the excess pills whole undigested.

I haven’t taken brand name dulcolax in about 4 years because I switched to generic bisacodyl and when I made the switch my tolerance was super low all of a sudden again, with generic bisacodyl my tolerance has never changed in these 4 years, I usually take 6 at a time for an extreme effect. If I take more I have to contend with nausea and fight vomitting and the effect will be kicking in for like two days straight of just pooping water and mucus.

So I’m not sure but maybe Dulcolax brand has something in the gastroresistant coating that means it doesn’t break down as easily when you purge regularly and don’t have the usual acids and such in your system to dissolve it and that’s why with dulcolax brand specifically my tolerance got messed up and with generic bisacodyl it has never changed?

Hey that's really interesting. I've been using Dulcolax almost exclusively for years because I always believed that the generic brands were't as effective as the brand names. Using the adage, "You get what you pay for" . I've always been pretty messed up on Dulcolax because I have to use them daily, not always the same dose. Often 4 will do the trick but 6 works best. But the price is a bit high and it always gives me cramps. At one point when I was forced IP, I managed to get things working again with two Senocot (sp) which supposedly use natural ingredients, but as soon as I was discharged I went right back to my old habits. But if generic Bisacodyl works better and is a lower price, it might be worth trying it.

To Tame the Blue Ox

Indigo Skye, perfection is a myth

Never imagining that this glorious white light

Hides misfortune within the guise

Of the Holy Thin One.

Tumbling and careening as precious stones create

A mesmerizing kaleidoscope of vivid, sharp-edged horror

Your hunger has become your merciless enemy

But you could never accept any ounce of satiety 

Slim perfection always eludes you--it wins every race.

You are purging pain and self-loathing

Blend into the bits and pieces

The shameful proof of frantic gorging.

If your bathroom walls could speak to you

They'd implore you to stop your downward spiral

Your eyes are a watery red. Stomach muscles convulse

There has to be more than feeding the Porcelain Prince.

But there isn't.

#6 MindreAna

MindreAna

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3097 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 02:13 PM

Hey that's really interesting. I've been using Dulcolax almost exclusively for years because I always believed that the generic brands were't as effective as the brand names. Using the adage, "You get what you pay for" . I've always been pretty messed up on Dulcolax because I have to use them daily, not always the same dose. Often 4 will do the trick but 6 works best. But the price is a bit high and it always gives me cramps. At one point when I was forced IP, I managed to get things working again with two Senocot (sp) which supposedly use natural ingredients, but as soon as I was discharged I went right back to my old habits. But if generic Bisacodyl works better and is a lower price, it might be worth trying it.

Yeah I don’t know why that is, it’s just my personal speculation the generic ones don’t have the same gastro-protective coating as Dulcolax so they dissolve faster/easier in your stomach rather than in your intestines maybe and that’s why they work more strongly?

I switched due to the cost of dulcolax after moving to the US. I buy Walgreens generic bisacodyl in a pill bottle of 200 pills and they are only around $15 for 200!!! Shocking cheap compared to how expensive dulcolax is.

It’s been a long time since I tried senna based laxatives like sennokot or chocolate laxative, that’s what I started with but eventually they just didn’t work well anymore and they’re bulky to swallow so I switched to Dulcolax and between senna and bisacodyl there is no comparison on what works better so never looked back after that hah

#7 dave-the-brave

dave-the-brave

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:35 PM

Anything medicine related by law must be the same generic brand as the name brand (i know this is true in the US, most if not all of Europe and AUS/NZ, YMMV), i dont know if this includes laxatives, but you can check pretty easily by checking the ingredients. 

he/him please

ig: @lispetsketches

our minds are troubled by the emptiness

destroy the middle its a waste of time

from the perfect start to the finish line

~

Spoiler

Spoiler

#8 Durian23

Durian23

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:42 PM

prob a few months, ill usually take a whole bottle sometimes after a month of lax free and still get the same effects so at least more than a month off it.

#9 noyb mate

noyb mate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:01 PM

always forget when i start a thread, thanks for the replies ✌️

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users