Drugs with fluoxetine or bupropion - Vitamins, Supplements and Nutrition - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Drugs with fluoxetine or bupropion

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Claverie

Claverie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 04:15 AM

Apologies if this has been asked many times but I can't use the search feature so...

Are there any weight loss medications that don't interact with fluoxetine or bupropion? They seem non-existant...

I'm willing to give one up for the other.

#2 familyfatmarshmallow

familyfatmarshmallow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 01:51 PM

noooo expert here, my personal experience. If you smoke, Bupropion isn't a great idea if you smoke as it's a smoking cessation agent. It's also a stimulant, and can thus cause anxiety if you drink coffee or add other stimulants to your diet. Weight loss medications that DO work... well.. it all depends on what your body can take. Just because something interacts doesn't mean you can't take it, but of course your doctor will know best. Maybe Topirimate (topamax)? FYI Fluoxitine causes an average of 10 lb weight gain in the long run for some people (not everyone), some lose weight. 

Good luck, and stay safe.

#3 Claverie

Claverie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 01:47 AM

[quote name="familyfatmarshmallow" post="72576365" timestamp="1597344668"]

Yeah I'm on bupropion to quit nicotene and it's been really helpful and also decreased my appetite. I have the option to keep taking it after my course finishes but I'd rather not-- even with the appetite suppression-- because it does indeed make me anxious. So I'm looking for a replacement.

I'll probably be on fluoxetine for life so that's the bigger consideration. Don't think it's changed my weight at all in the few years I've taken it but I don't really remember the beginning.

My appetite has always been extreme. It takes a lot of energy to ignore. They've never found anything in blood tests to explain why. It's been so nice to have a few hours every day where I'm not thinking about when I'll be allowed to eat next...

#4 practicam

practicam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 23 August 2020 - 12:43 PM

[quote name="familyfatmarshmallow" post="72576365" timestamp="1597344668"]

Yeah I'm on bupropion to quit nicotene and it's been really helpful and also decreased my appetite. I have the option to keep taking it after my course finishes but I'd rather not-- even with the appetite suppression-- because it does indeed make me anxious. So I'm looking for a replacement.

I'll probably be on fluoxetine for life so that's the bigger consideration. Don't think it's changed my weight at all in the few years I've taken it but I don't really remember the beginning.

My appetite has always been extreme. It takes a lot of energy to ignore. They've never found anything in blood tests to explain why. It's been so nice to have a few hours every day where I'm not thinking about when I'll be allowed to eat next...

How long have you been taking bupropion? Because I was told these anxiety side effects spike up in the first two months of taking the medicine and after that it should go away. 

I luckily do not experience a lot of anxiety but I don't notice much effects of the bupropion anyway...

original.gif

SW: 141

CW: 130

GW1: 121

h: 5ft10 / 179cm

#5 audreylove

audreylove

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 10:40 AM

Bupropion usually helps people lose weight, I think I lost 8 lbs the first time I was on it.

(In case no one told you like they forgot to tell me: Never cut your pills in half trying to delay refills if you have SR or XL.  It was basically like being on amphetamines for a few days and NOT in the fun way)

Height: 5'6" (168cm)

CW: 130 lbs

GW2: 118 lbs 

UGW: 108 lbs

#6 Claverie

Claverie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 07:09 AM

I've finished my course of bupropion now. So now I'm just looking for something that will work with fluoxetine. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users