taking generic multivitamins? - Vitamins, Supplements and Nutrition - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

taking generic multivitamins?

fasting diets restricting vitamins multivitamin

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _yumeko_

_yumeko_

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 11:44 AM

hii! while fasting or restricting would it be okay to take a multivitamin just to cover all bases or should i be taking more specific supplements like vitamin d, iron etc ??? thanks in advance :)

5'2

hw:64kgs

cw:63kgs

gw: 60kgs

ugw: 47kgs

#2 eli_luc

eli_luc

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1626 posts
  • LocationFloating on clouds

Posted 22 August 2020 - 12:03 PM

hii! while fasting or restricting would it be okay to take a multivitamin just to cover all bases or should i be taking more specific supplements like vitamin d, iron etc ??? thanks in advance :)

It would be best to get a multivitamin that covers all the typical deficiencies. Which are, yes, usually iron and vit D. Get the ones with electrolytes (or add on one that does) if you purge. Get one with vit b12 if you dont eat a lot of meat. Get one with folate and vit C if you dont eat a lot of fruit of veg. 

Also be very careful with making sure you dont overdose, especially if you get supplements instead of multivits. Some iron supplements give you 600% of recommended daily amount, which imo is wildly irresponsible of them to sell and idk how it's legal. 

Personally, I take the flintstones-with-iron kid's multivitamin bc it covers many bases, and is around 100% of recommended daily amount for each component if you follow their instructions for adult intake. I might switch to flintstones complete, which has more components.

• cosmosfreeze likes this

"Whatever they have is something needed to do their work – it wouldn’t help you in your work even if you had it. Their magic is theirs. You don’t lack it. You don’t need it. It has nothing to do with you"

#3 _yumeko_

_yumeko_

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 12:10 PM

It would be best to get a multivitamin that covers all the typical deficiencies. Which are, yes, usually iron and vit D. Get the ones with electrolytes (or add on one that does) if you purge. Get one with vit b12 if you dont eat a lot of meat. Get one with folate and vit C if you dont eat a lot of fruit of veg. 

Also be very careful with making sure you dont overdose, especially if you get supplements instead of multivits. Some iron supplements give you 600% of recommended daily amount, which imo is wildly irresponsible of them to sell and idk how it's legal. 

Personally, I take the flintstones-with-iron kid's multivitamin bc it covers many bases, and is around 100% of recommended daily amount for each component if you follow their instructions for adult intake. I might switch to flintstones complete, which has more components.

thank you that was very helpful! will probably look into getting one with folate and vit C cause i don't eat as much fruit and veg as i should

5'2

hw:64kgs

cw:63kgs

gw: 60kgs

ugw: 47kgs

#4 WiltheLardo

WiltheLardo

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 08:11 PM

I like Kroger's generic Women's Multi because it also includes iodine which is good for your thyroid and if you're not eating salt or much green stuff it can be low.

#5 jisu-coffee

jisu-coffee

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationSeoul, South Korea

Posted 31 August 2020 - 03:53 AM

I don't think the vitamins will absorb well when you are fasting but yeah, I do take multivitamin when I have my main meal because I can easily feel nauseated when I take vitamins. And also I think during my meals I eat such foods that help to make the vitamins absorb the best!

#6 Glorificus

Glorificus

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationSunnydale, looking for my key

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:19 AM

I take a hair supplement with biotin & selenium, vitamin d3 (agoraphobia, so rarely see sunlight) & a multivitamin for ages 50+ (I'm not that age, but vits for the elderly have larger quantities of things due to them typically having poor diets, especially in widows who kinda nope out of cooking now they're alone).

Hair has gone from falling out & barely enough to make a ponytail to healthy & bum length in 5yrs, so I absolutely swear by hair supplements

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

"Inspired is when you believe you can do anything.

Manic is when you know it"

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

3e4d8e0c0156bf56ae2cdd78926ebd23.giftumblr_miec8sQhIP1qfhzgyo4_r2_250.gif

tumblr_p0tca05c2q1w67ki0o1_r1_500.gif

#7 Redheaded step child

Redheaded step child

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationThe Firey depths

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:26 AM

They won't absorb unless you eat. And always take them with uour biggest meal. So yes uou can restrict. But no I you can't fast. Plus if you rake iron on qn empty stomach you'll get sick

I TYPICALLY use GNC brand but I was in CVS and needed some and they had buy one get one on bottles of 200...so I use them.

sent from....Yes Satan?
  • pcrsephone likes this
no im not banned. Yes my profile is glitched. I guess I was accidentally immortalized.
But I cannot PM so if you'd like to talk to me please email me here [email protected]

I and trying to startup a new ED site. Where everything works and we all are a family. If youd like to help and maybe be a mod please join! There's posts about becoming mods and how to help us.

#8 Caffeinated Penguin

Caffeinated Penguin

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • LocationMy Minecraft Home

Posted 04 September 2020 - 12:14 AM

Absolutely, even if you’re not restricting, basic essential multivitamin supplements are great. You’re going to want to focus on getting iron, vitamin D, and electrolytes - although, for vitamins to be absorbed properly you shouldn’t low restrict or fast. Right now I’m taking a hair/skin/nails vitamin, Omega-3, vitamin D, vitamin C, and drops of biotin daily. I really need to focus on my iron bc I’m anemic.
One thing I will say that’s a huge perk to taking vitamins is that they impact my mood in a very positive way, especially vitamin C and D.

LW: 87 lbs

HW: 155 lbs

CW: 122 lbs

GW: 110 lbs

Height: 5'2.5

giphy.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fasting, diets, restricting, vitamins, multivitamin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users