1 Week Hydroxycut Harcore Elite Experiment and Review - Vitamins, Supplements and Nutrition - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

1 Week Hydroxycut Harcore Elite Experiment and Review

hydroxycut hydroxycut review experiment

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Hendrix

Hendrix

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 24 August 2020 - 09:47 PM

So, I thought this might be interesting. I've never taken Hydroxycut before, so thought I might do a one week experiment. Basically, I'm going to eat and exercise this week the same as I have been for the last few weeks, and monitor / post my results.

• I'll be following the indications on the back of the container (Days 1 - 3: 1 capsule twice a day, Day 4 and beyond: 2 capsules twice a day).
  • I'm 163.7cms tall and weighed in at 65.1kgs today. I'm a 31 year old cis woman who doesn't exercise much.
  • My exercise consists of upper-body resistance band training 3 x per week, static planks 3 x per week, 30-45 minute walks 3 x per week.
  • My diet consists of 1200 - 1500 cals 3 days per week, 600-900 cals (roughly) 4 days per week. I usually always OMAD (dinner), except for days when I am with my partner.

I'll be monitoring physical effects (how I "feel" physically), psychoactive or mental effects, and weight / measurements. Let me know if you'd like daily weigh-ins, or weight results posted this time next week. I'm only going to post measurements using a measuring tape once (not much point posting this daily).

Please note: Like many of us, my caffeine tolerance is very high. This might effect my results. I am obviously not a medical professional, and all of our bodies are different. This is / will be my *own personal experience*. Things which I may or may not experience might or might not be the same for you.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Day 1

I forgot about the hydroxycut and began my day with a strong black coffee, like usual. I remembered to take the hydroxycut at 10.30AM and took one capsule at the same time as I took my antidepressant.

After 30 minutes passed I didn't notice any jitteriness or anxiety, and so took my Ritalin (10mg quick release, I have ADD).

Strangely, about 20 minutes after this, I started to feel hungry. I never feel hungry at this time of the day, and put it down to not drinking as much coffee as I usually would've. I feel like the acidity of the black coffee combined with the caffeine is what suppresses my appetite. I decided to have another black coffee, and while the kettle was boiling used my resistance bands to do my bicep curls. I noticed that I completed the same sets and reps that I usually do, but it was a lot easier and my muscles don't feel nearly as fatigued.

Drank my black coffee after my arm exercises, and it's been about 20 minutes. I feel high.

I'm literally grinding my teeth, typing super quickly, and my mood is definitely elevated. I'm also distractable, don't want to do my work (I'm working from home), chain smoking like a train, and really want to rearrange the furniture in my loungeroom.

Not hungry at all, but, again, I'm generally not hungry at this time of the day.

I'm interested to see what the "crash" will be like, I'll update later in the day in regard to this.

If you're curious about this and have any specific side effects you'd like me to look out for, or questions you'd like to ask, feel free to post a comment.

• Daniel4754 likes this

Capricorn - INFJ

163.7cm / 5f4

Highest weight: 82.3kg / 181.4lbs January 2016

Lowest weight: 58kg / 127.8lbs June 2012

Goal weight: 55kg / 121lbs

UGW: 50kg / 110lbs

This time around.

Start weight: 74kg

Current weight: 64kg

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I learned that hunger is a symptom of adopting bad behavior.

When I get better, I'll treat you like I used to

#2 peach dreams

peach dreams

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 10:32 PM

I've always wondered what trying something like this would be like, but always assumed they were money wasting scams with no effect. But... This definitely seems like an effect. I'm going to follow. Best of luck for you!

#3 Hendrix

Hendrix

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 24 August 2020 - 10:39 PM

I've always wondered what trying something like this would be like, but always assumed they were money wasting scams with no effect. But... This definitely seems like an effect. I'm going to follow. Best of luck for you!

Thanks - I've always wondered also. I read about hydroxycut on MPA and decided to get a bottle off Amazon the other day. I would've loved a detailed breakdown of how it makes you feel / what the effects are, so thought I'd make a thread which I would've wanted to read when I was deciding on whether to buy them or not :)

• peach dreams likes this

Capricorn - INFJ

163.7cm / 5f4

This time around.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

#4 Hendrix

Hendrix

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 24 August 2020 - 11:05 PM

So, just to clarify, this trial / review is actually for "Hydroxycut Hardcore Elite Sport". The ingredients differ slightly from the "Hardcore Elite" formula, if you're interested there is an ingredient listing is at the bottom of this post. Also worth noting - the caffeine content at "full dose" is equivalent to 2.5 cups of coffee, and you're advised to speak with your doctor if you're taking any prescription meds. I have not spoken with my doctor.

I took my second capsule of the day at 1.15PM, which should hopefully allow me to sleep tonight. Both doses have been on an empty stomach, although you're advised to take a capsule before breakfast, and before lunch.

I'm super thirsty and my usual water with lemon juice tastes really great today, for some reason. I also decided to do another couple of sets of my upper body exercises, even though my arms are usually exhausted after my usual amount. I'm definitely feeling very "buzzy" and am still clenching my teeth. As far as concentration goes, I'm finding it very difficult to concentrate and haven't been able to get much work done today.

hydroxycut-hardcore-elite-sport-ingredie

Capricorn - INFJ

163.7cm / 5f4

This time around.

#5 Hendrix

Hendrix

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 August 2020 - 01:53 AM

**Last update for the day**

Last dose was at 1.15pm, and I noticed my stomach was rumbling at 3.15pm, so I'm guessing appetite suppressant effects at the "intro" dose aren't that strong (at least for me, although I'm already pretty caffeine tolerant).

Other physical effects I noticed. Even though my heater has been on high all day, I was really cold and shivering between about 1.30pm - 4pm. This was despite my skin being warm to the touch. My heart also skipped beats twice, which it doesn't usually do. Resting BPM today was around 60. Increased thirst.

Mental effects: Elevated mood, racing thoughts, inability to concentrate, easily distracted.

I ate an apple about 45 minutes ago and my body temperature has increased a lot since then. I'm starting to feel tired, and will probably eat dinner soon (220 cals if interested, will probably eat another apple sometime after dinner, total calories for today will probably be around 300-320). EDIT: Total cals were closer to 600.

So - conclusion for today: Appetite suppression at intro dose seems to be short-lived, physical endurance seems to be increased, no data yet re. impact on sleep.

Capricorn - INFJ

163.7cm / 5f4

This time around.

#6 Starduss

Starduss

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2677 posts
  • LocationThe bottom of the Baggie

Posted 25 August 2020 - 08:40 AM

I'm really appreciating this.
  • Hendrix likes this
pfazq.png

#7 Daniel4754

Daniel4754

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 25 August 2020 - 09:04 AM

I'm liking this too. I look at the ingredients and think that oh, it's just an over-hyped caffeine pill. It will be interesting to see if you lose any weight.
  • Hendrix likes this
SW: 348CW: 326 GW: 200MyFitnessPal: Daniel8746

#8 lokahsamastah

lokahsamastah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 02:13 PM

Following! I love these kinds of reviews, thanks for taking the time to do it :)

• Hendrix likes this

#9 Hendrix

Hendrix

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 August 2020 - 06:12 PM

Following! I love these kinds of reviews, thanks for taking the time to do it :)

No worries - you're very welcome :) I'm a sucker for anything pseudo-scientific hahaha.

I'm liking this too. I look at the ingredients and think that oh, it's just an over-hyped caffeine pill. It will be interesting to see if you lose any weight.

For sure, my thoughts exactly. I find it really hard to restrict on days I'm seeing my partner, I guess I'm most interested in whether it helps to counteract some of the "damage". I feel like I just keep gaining and losing the same two kilograms.

I'm really appreciating this.

I'm glad! Hopefully we get some decent data out of it :)

• Daniel4754 likes this

Capricorn - INFJ

163.7cm / 5f4

This time around.

#10 Hendrix

Hendrix

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 August 2020 - 06:20 PM

Day 1 observations of sleep impact: Nil - I actually slept better than usual.

Additional Day 1 observations after HC wore off:

- I got super, super tired at about 5pm, as if I'd used all my energy in a big woosh during the day, and there was none left.

- **Rebound hunger** I got really hungry between 7pm - 10pm. Ended up snacking on two small handfuls of fibre-bran cereal. After this I ordered a medium hungry jacks whopper meal and purged it. I don't usually purge, this was out of character for me. I wasn't hungry after this.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Day 2

Weigh in after bowel movement: 64.25kg, Day 1 weight: 65.1kg

9AM: Took 1 capsule HC + my antidepressant, had a black coffee

9.45AM: Took my Ritalin

10.33AM: Can't concentrate, need to start work but am hyperfocusing on non-work related things. My stomach is rumbling too?

12PM: Took second capsule, have noticed tingling on and off in right hand. General "effectiveness" of one capsule seems to last approx. 3 hours.

Edited by Hendrix, 25 August 2020 - 10:12 PM.

Capricorn - INFJ

163.7cm / 5f4

This time around.

#11 Hendrix

Hendrix

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 August 2020 - 11:11 PM

Okay. So. My anxiety is way worse right now than it'd be if I were just restricting. I'm putting it down to the hydroxycut, because it's the only thing which has changed. I've found it very, very difficult to find any info on the specific ingredients within hydroxycut, and it's interactions with other meds.

This website, however, seems to contain the best info, with ingredient breakdowns and drug interactions listed:

https://selfhacked.c...log/hydroxycut/

**The above website is well worth checking out if you take prescription meds, and are interested in taking hydroxycut also, or already take it**.

I noticed last night that my mood was feeling a lot flatter than usual, and I think my mood has been a little bit crap today too. I didn't experience the mood elevation today which I experienced yesterday. Apparently Yohimbine interacts with my antidepressant. I didn't actually want to take the hydroxycut this morning but thought I would anyway, as I'm not one to quit on an experiment. The main mechanism of action for hydroxycut's "weightloss" claim is appetite suppression, and on day two, I'm feeling like it isn't particularly good at this. I'm not getting the nauseous feeling I would be if I were just drinking black coffee instead, but as an appetite suppressant, it doesn't seem that great. I'm not particularly hungry, but I also wouldn't be if I were just drinking black coffee. I feel like I'm moving around a lot more, but that's because I'm anxious and agitated. 

Despite the above, I'm going to stick with it for at least another day or two, because I'm not even up to the full dose yet. As far as mental and physical effects for me though, the appetite suppression (which, again, is similar to black coffee) isn't really worth it for the complete and utter lack of ability to concentrate on my work, the increased anxiety, flat mood and rebound hunger I experienced last night. Keen to see if the "rebound hunger" appears again tonight.

FYI, because I've been charting my other pills / meds on here, I thought I'd mention that I also took 300mg of Oleamide about 15 minutes ago to try to combat the anxiety. Oleamide is a research chemical / nootropic I'm experimenting with, which is non-habit forming and acts as an anxiolytic / sedative. It'll be interesting to see if it takes the edge off the hydroxycut-induced anxiety. I'd prefer to not have to take one chemical to counteract another.

Notable things to mention

Caffeine in high doses can increase the effect of the following meds:

• Aspirin
  • Clozapine, an antipsychotic
  • Lithium
  • Riluzole, used to treat amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
  • Theophylline
  • Tylenol

Yohimbine may enhance the action or side effects of some drugs such as:

• Stimulants (atomoxetine, amphetamines)
  • Some antidepressants (duloxetine, fluoxetine, tranylcypromine)
  • Drugs for opioid overdose (naloxone)

In contrast, it may reduce the effects of:

• Anti-anxiety drugs (diazepam, ondansetron)
  • Some antidepressants (amitriptyline, imipramine)
  • Sedatives (xylazine)
  • Drugs for high blood pressure (amiloride, clonidine, guanabenz)

Interestingly, Yohimbine is illegal in Australia, which I didn't know when I purchased this. I think it's strange that customs didn't stop this from being imported.

• mandi5313 likes this

Capricorn - INFJ

163.7cm / 5f4

This time around.

#12 peach dreams

peach dreams

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1598 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 10:04 AM

Hey it's been a few days since you updated and I know you were thinking of stopping. How did things go for you? Hope you're okay! :)
  • Starduss, Hendrix and MisdirectedMorgan like this

#13 Hendrix

Hendrix

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 11 September 2020 - 01:48 AM

Hey it's been a few days since you updated and I know you were thinking of stopping. How did things go for you? Hope you're okay! :)

Hey Peach Dreams, thanks for the concern, apologies for not updating earlier! This stuff wasn't great for me and triggered my depression and anxiety badly. I couldn't hack the full week even at the lower dose, and am finally feeling better now. I think sticking to black coffee is fine (for me), the side effects of the other ingredients in these pills combined with the meds I already take is a recipe for disaster.

Capricorn - INFJ

163.7cm / 5f4

This time around.

#14 peach dreams

peach dreams

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1598 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 07:03 AM

Hey Peach Dreams, thanks for the concern, apologies for not updating earlier! This stuff wasn't great for me and triggered my depression and anxiety badly. I couldn't hack the full week even at the lower dose, and am finally feeling better now. I think sticking to black coffee is fine (for me), the side effects of the other ingredients in these pills combined with the meds I already take is a recipe for disaster.

I'm sorry to hear that, but it's great that you listened to your body and know when to call it quits!
  • Hendrix likes this

#15 justadumbblonde

justadumbblonde

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 October 2020 - 11:29 AM

Thank you so much for doing this post! Very helpful. It sounds like your experience was somewhat similar to mine while taking vyvanse-- basically short-lived and issues with focusing (or I'll hyperfocus on random "tasks") with a crash by the afternoon/early evening. That's for me on a low dose of vyvanse (20-30mg.)

• Hendrix likes this

31    -    5'7"   -   156lbs   -   BMI ??

150 149 148 147 146 145 144 143 142 141 140 139 138 137 136 135 134 133 132 131 130 129 128 127 126 125 124 123 122 121 120 119 118 117 116 115 114 113 112 111 110 109 108

#16 Hendrix

Hendrix

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted Yesterday, 06:59 PM

Thank you so much for doing this post! Very helpful. It sounds like your experience was somewhat similar to mine while taking vyvanse-- basically short-lived and issues with focusing (or I'll hyperfocus on random "tasks") with a crash by the afternoon/early evening. That's for me on a low dose of vyvanse (20-30mg.)

Yeah, for sure! That sounds very similar. No worries by the way :) There are easier / better / cheaper ways to suppress your appetite imo than taking this stuff. Who knows though, if you aren't already on a cocktail of other stuff these might be great.

Capricorn - INFJ

163.7cm / 5f4

This time around.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hydroxycut, hydroxycut review, experiment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users