I've had rumination syndrome since I was 8 - Rumination Disorder - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

I've had rumination syndrome since I was 8

Rumination Bulimia

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spam_n_rice

spam_n_rice

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 01:07 AM

This seems like a dead part of the forum, but I'm going to post anyway. As the title states, I've had rumination syndrome since I was 8 or younger. I've always had an unhealthy relationship with food. When I was 8, my family started to talk more about how I was obese. So for the summer I was brought to my sister's house, she and her fiance made me exercise excessively + eat very cleanly. Like I was only eating quinoa, rice, tilapia, and eggs (maybe some chinese sausage, in Vietnamese I knew it as lạp xưởng). Every day I had to do 100 sit-ups, push-ups, leg-lifts, and 10 miles on the wii fit. I would cry of pain because they did not ease me into this. I first memory I can remember was after eating some lạp xưởng and rice, the food came up from my stomach with ease. I chewed it, and I was thinking, "Oh my God, I can eat for longer now!" I did it all the time after every meal. It felt so nice to continue to "eat". This is not the same as chewing and spitting. Rumination syndrome from what I know is regurgitating recently eating food before it becomes like bile, so it tastes just like the food you finished eating. If they treated me with something such as pizza or a burger it could last me twice as long because it would come back up and I could chew it. I never told anyone about this, and no one ever noticed. In school I don't think anyone noticed me randomly chewing after lunch, they might've thought I had a secret snack/gum/maybe was chewing my tongue. I chew, regurgitate, and chew until the food has almost no texture. For all of my life I've been consistently overweight. I didn't join any sport clubs in high school and I was on my PC 24/7 from age 10 to 18. The thought of being bulimic has crossed my mind many times. I was so addicted to ruminating. I was close to normal weight, just a little thick, while I was working somewhere that I was constantly moving. I looked mostly fit for someone that ate fried chicken everyday. I worked almost everyday and had access to UNLIMITED CHICKEN WINGS/TENDERS/BONELESS and soda. After I changed jobs, I quickly started gaining more weight because I wasn't moving around as much. I hadn't been obese since I was a kid, only overweight. In the past year, I've become obese. I'm 5'2 (157.48cm) and my highest weight was 206lbs (14.71 stone, 93.44 kg) and my depression starting getting the best of me the past few months. I binge ate a lot. Eventually I broke down and started to just regurgitate and spit it out for once. I've lost around 18lbs so far. Instead of being addicted to chewing what I ruminate, now I can't keep any food in my body without feeling immense guilt. I weigh myself every day. I can throw up on command with no issues, and almost never need water to do it. I can get pretty much everything out. My teeth look white because I brush very very often, and I think also my body is so used to doing this that it doesn't affect me as badly if I were to do this out of no where.

TDLR; Rumination syndrome = regurgitate food with ease (intentionally or not, it can happen if I burp or just automatically after eating), chew it, and then swallow it. Then repeat until food is complete mush in stomach (not continuing when it's stomach acid). Did this for around 11 years, but I've become bulimic due to depression worsening.

Thanks for bothering to read.

~
Also, if anyone has any questions for me I'm willing to answer them. Whether it's about food or health problems I've had.

• CeruleanBlue, darkSadSpirit., SkinnyFreakshow and 6 others like this

#2 CoffeeandChirps

CoffeeandChirps

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 12:49 PM

First time I have ever heard someone with the same issue as me. I remember having it as a kid. I was a bit heavy for a while, but then my height shot up and a grew like a bean sprout and evened out. I ruminated throughout my entire childhood and never second guessed it because I enjoyed "eating" a second time. Around 8th grade I started to struggle with food, I only restricted. I was anorexic from about 8-11th grade, 12th grade I developed binge-eating and I binged for months.I gained over 30 lbs.  It wasn't until last summer, after I finished 12th grade, I realized I could just spit out my ruminated binge. I never needed to drink water or use my hands. Most of the time, I just wait about 30 seconds after swallowing and everything just comes back up with ease. Well, that's how I developed bulimia :')

#3 PuppyTown

PuppyTown

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 12:25 AM

Thankyou for sharing. This is very interesting to me so thankyou for teaching me today. I have a question, Do you regurgatate into the mouth and how do you control how much comes up? Thankyou x

Puppy

112lbs

UGW 90lbs

giphy.gif

#4 TidyMoomin

TidyMoomin

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 09 April 2021 - 07:20 PM

Thankyou for sharing. This is very interesting to me so thankyou for teaching me today. I have a question, Do you regurgatate into the mouth and how do you control how much comes up? Thankyou x

Sorry to resurrect but I didn't see anyone reply to this to answer your questions.

I also have this and you basically regurgitate food like you would burp, in my experience. If you have ever made yourself burp on command its similar, sorry for a gross comparison.

Generally speaking it depends how much is in my stomach but if I want to purge I regurgitate one mouthful at a time. How much comes up depends on if the food is stuck together or if its easier to purge like I've drunk a lot of water or if it has a loose consistency. Tough foods like bread come up in big lumps and can be painful if you force it.

Other random bits of info for anyone who finds it;

There's no vomit smell unless I'm regurgitating food that's been sitting in my stomach for a while - like 30 mins or more.

I don't suffer heartburn more than the average person I think.

It's not typically painful. I don't gag usually when food comes up unless I'm forcing a lot up at once.

Sometimes if I burp after drinking lots of water I get a water bubble come up my throat :')

I don't c/s

I have no idea what started this I just remember it happened as a child. I don't recommend trying to develop it - even though the food isn't often acidic my teeth are jacked. I haven't had it checked but my oesophagus is likely very damaged from 18 years of rumination. This will most likely come back to haunt me.

Happy to answer more questions if anyone has any. I know this board is mostly for c/s but if anyone has rumination questions I can answer :)
  • PuppyTown likes this

tenor.gif

too old for this shit 

#5 PuppyTown

PuppyTown

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 03:09 PM

Sorry to resurrect but I didn't see anyone reply to this to answer your questions.

I also have this and you basically regurgitate food like you would burp, in my experience. If you have ever made yourself burp on command its similar, sorry for a gross comparison.

Generally speaking it depends how much is in my stomach but if I want to purge I regurgitate one mouthful at a time. How much comes up depends on if the food is stuck together or if its easier to purge like I've drunk a lot of water or if it has a loose consistency. Tough foods like bread come up in big lumps and can be painful if you force it.

Other random bits of info for anyone who finds it;

There's no vomit smell unless I'm regurgitating food that's been sitting in my stomach for a while - like 30 mins or more.

I don't suffer heartburn more than the average person I think.

It's not typically painful. I don't gag usually when food comes up unless I'm forcing a lot up at once.

Sometimes if I burp after drinking lots of water I get a water bubble come up my throat :')

I don't c/s

I have no idea what started this I just remember it happened as a child. I don't recommend trying to develop it - even though the food isn't often acidic my teeth are jacked. I haven't had it checked but my oesophagus is likely very damaged from 18 years of rumination. This will most likely come back to haunt me.

Happy to answer more questions if anyone has any. I know this board is mostly for c/s but if anyone has rumination questions I can answer 

Thankyou so much for replying. I love what the human body can do its beautiful to me

Puppy

112lbs

UGW 90lbs

giphy.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rumination, Bulimia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users