My KETO Accountability - pics - Page 2 - Low Carb Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

My KETO Accountability - pics

• Please log in to reply
597 replies to this topic

#21 Occoco

Occoco

Advanced Guru

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 12:37 PM

It sounds like you know the struggle :)

There are so many plant foods I'd like to eat but just can't because of IBS-D.

Duuuude if only

At the minute I can do

Baked zucchini, baked corn, boiled potato, boiled white rice, boiled sweet potato, raspberries, blueberries and bananas and have nil issues so I just go HAM with these sources

So many nutritious carbs I can't even look at lol
  • Igorina likes this

#22 lostinthestars

lostinthestars

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3130 posts
  • LocationUSA & Belgium

Posted 05 September 2020 - 02:54 PM

Deficit: 700
Macros: 134p/13c/71f
Calories: 1252
Steps: 13k

Sorry that Tapatalk flipped the first image. It's correct in my phone.

Meal 1 (11:00) - another pancake, just added more water this time, and minuutesteak. I still can't stand this steak. I could only eat it with cheese.

Meal 2 (3:00) - omelette with cream cheese and soft cheese, smoked turkey. The omelette was pretty good!

Meal 3 (4:30) - fried sheep heart, chicken breast, and liver (and soft cheese to make liver more palatable). This concoction would've tasted better baked/broiled instead of fried but it was all good.

Comments:

- Definitely soak the liver in ACV and marinate it with onion powder, garlic salt, paprika, and pepper to get rid of that horrible aftertaste. Let this concoction sit in the fridge for at least 3 hours before cooking.

- I've been craving a lot of cheese, especially gouda and bleu cheese. It could just be that it's just because I've been eating at a "steep" deficit and just hungry.

- I'm also craving almond milk. mmm. It's technically zerocarb as long as it's unsweetened, lol. Albert Heijn has a 2 for 1 sale on almond milk and yours truly will cave.

- I'm proud of myself for eating more fat today. However, I definitely shouldn't have eaten that much protein.

- I will no longer buy chicken breast (unless it's on a very good sale). I'll probably give chicken wings a try next time since they've got more fat.

fb66f040ef9dd14bec8976fb8988aaa5.jpg5929a8a15a88a8a1e4da36144f3dafd7.jpg072a1078d2748312f528f5950d21190e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• savingsarah likes this

​24 : 5'4

I'm after lower measurements and improving body composition.

Accountability: https://www.myproana...ntability-pics/

#23 savingsarah

savingsarah

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1504 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 08:12 PM

Your meals look great! I haven’t had much experience with organ meats but I know nutritionally they are quite good.

I think to make liver more palatable I will try pâté with some flax/chia crackers and see if I like it.

There isn’t many low carb/keto/carnivore threads around anymore. It’s fantastic that you are posting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • lostinthestars likes this

164cm | 26 | F

Accountability

✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

128…127…126…125…124…123

122…121…120…119…118

117…116…115…114

113…112…111

110…109

#24 lostinthestars

lostinthestars

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3130 posts
  • LocationUSA & Belgium

Posted 06 September 2020 - 04:00 PM

Deficit: 545
Macros: 111p/18c/68f (15 net carbs)
Calories: 1131
Steps: 5.7k

Meal 1 (11:00) - 70 g of gouda and 1 L of unsweetened almond milk... yes, I did crave it that much.

Meal 2 (2:30) - whole tiny baked tuna and quark with cinnamon for dessert... kinda snacked on some bleu d'Auvergne

Meal 3 (5:00) - pancake and an omelette that got destroyed but was delicious because it had soft cheese and cream cheese

Comments:
- I wasted too many calories on cheese today. That young gouda was spectacular, though.
- I didn't have meat today, which is weird because this is supposed to be as close to carnivore, but my nausea has been lower so I guess it was good to be easy on my stomach for a day.
- TMI I spotted today. I haven't had a period since I lost it 3 years ago. Technically, I have had a few since then, but only on bioidentical hormones. Maybe there is something to this diet, lol. That may also explain my strange craving for almond milk.
- I haven't had much energy today after my grocery shopping expedition this morning. I hope my electrolytes from Amazon arrive soon! Everytime I do a keto diet, electrolytes make a world of difference.

Regardez my mini haul. The tuna is from a supermarket in Chinatown, everything else is Albert Heijn.

Have a good night!

c40158e46d3336c7a425efa7cc295b2f.jpg0cf938b8356cfcc04883a82689ff4c0e.jpg

I just realized that tuna's face looks scary af!! I cut it up all wrong before putting it in the oven and it looked like a mess.60d7815e5837bfb0f2e90e8345df8d03.jpge18a0f9279b6e099788d526e0d7dfe37.jpg

• Igorina, Anamia. and boolimeeyer like this

#25 lostinthestars

lostinthestars

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3130 posts
  • LocationUSA & Belgium

Posted 06 September 2020 - 04:14 PM

Your meals look great! I haven’t had much experience with organ meats but I know nutritionally they are quite good.

I think to make liver more palatable I will try pâté with some flax/chia crackers and see if I like it.

There isn’t many low carb/keto/carnivore threads around anymore. It’s fantastic that you are posting

Please let me know how the pâté turns out! I would love to make some, but having no food processor makes this impossible :( I would also buy it already made, but it all contains pork liver and I don't eat pork. 

Thank you for your comment :) Of course, this is not an ED-appealing diet so people here aren't likely to try it.

• savingsarah likes this

#26 Igorina

Igorina

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3348 posts
  • LocationThe downstairs laboratory in the castle you shouldn't go near.

Posted 06 September 2020 - 04:43 PM

Please let me know how the pâté turns out! I would love to make some, but having no food processor makes this impossible :( I would also buy it already made, but it all contains pork liver and I don't eat pork. 

Thank you for your comment :) Of course, this is not an ED-appealing diet so people here aren't likely to try it.

You can easily make pate without a food processor. Boil or fry your liver, take it out of the pan then mash the liver with a fork, then pass it through a sieve with a spoon.

Add your other ingredients, mix thoroughly and you've got pate.

Temporary lapse.

#27 boolimeeyer

boolimeeyer

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4621 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 08:59 PM

your meals all look INCREDIBLE hun!! i LOVE organ meats—have you tried intestines & kidney & tripe??

also chicken thighs are great if you want more fat, the dark meat is sooo juicy!

#28 lostinthestars

lostinthestars

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3130 posts
  • LocationUSA & Belgium

Posted 07 September 2020 - 06:10 AM

You can easily make pate without a food processor. Boil or fry your liver, take it out of the pan then mash the liver with a fork, then pass it through a sieve with a spoon.

Add your other ingredients, mix thoroughly and you've got pate.

OMG I read your comment this morning and I defrosted, chopped, and marinated the rest of the liver with ACV and spices so that I can cook it this afternoon. I can't wait for it to be ready after it's cooled down. 

You are the zerocarb queen of MPA :D I'm quite convinced you know everything about it! 

your meals all look INCREDIBLE hun!! i LOVE organ meats—have you tried intestines & kidney & tripe??

also chicken thighs are great if you want more fat, the dark meat is sooo juicy!

Thank you! They've been quite delicious so far (with the one and only exception, lol).

I've never tried intestines or tripe. tbh, those are the only ones that disgust me, but I'll try it eventually.

I do want to try kidney, but the butchers don't have any. I'll go to another butcher later this week and ask. I'm all about trying organs. They're more nutritious and significantly cheaper, which is all I want in my diet.

I'll also add chicken thighs to my shopping list!

Thanks for all the ideas :)

• Igorina likes this

#29 Igorina

Igorina

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3348 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 11:17 AM

OMG I read your comment this morning and I defrosted, chopped, and marinated the rest of the liver with ACV and spices so that I can cook it this afternoon. I can't wait for it to be ready after it's cooled down. 

You are the zerocarb queen of MPA :D I'm quite convinced you know everything about it! 

Thank you! They've been quite delicious so far (with the one and only exception, lol).

I've never tried intestines or tripe. tbh, those are the only ones that disgust me, but I'll try it eventually.

I do want to try kidney, but the butchers don't have any. I'll go to another butcher later this week and ask. I'm all about trying organs. They're more nutritious and significantly cheaper, which is all I want in my diet.

I'll also add chicken thighs to my shopping list!

Thanks for all the ideas :)

When you're passing that mashed liver through that sieve you're going to wish you had a food processor. It's a tedious task.

I certainly don't know everything about zerocarb/carnivore. There's a lot I haven't tried yet.

The only cuisine I know that uses intestine and tripe a lot is Chinese (and they're hardly one culture, it's a cultural mix there, different cuisines) and all of the recipes I've seen with tripe and intestine use a lot of seasonings and spices. It's usually covered in chili oil.

I don't think tripe and intestine have an interesting nutritional profile. It's mainly just protein. It's not like liver and kidneys that have a lot of mineral and vitamins.

• lostinthestars and boolimeeyer like this

Temporary lapse.

#30 Katatat

Katatat

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3078 posts
  • LocationNorthern CA

Posted 07 September 2020 - 12:24 PM

Do you mean nervous due to health reasons (the wide-held belief in modern Western culture that meat is unhealthy) or the grossness factor of eating unconventional parts of an animal?

It does feel gross to manipulate raw meat and I don't get that wonderful mental "clean" feeling eating animal products than I did when eating a "healthy" plant-based diet.

However, I have severe insulin resistance. As far as health is concerned, I'm already feeling significantly better and I'm tired of trying every possible macro combination of a plant-based diet to help the problems caused by insulin resistance only to end up feeling miserable again. I'm taking vitamin C and just ordered some electrolyte pills online to prevent deficiencies. There's too much evidence of people online who had similar problems to mine and this diet helped them tremendously.

I guess my logic is that I've got nothing to lose at this point, even though it feels as strange as you can imagine it. I've been planning this for a while and doing a lot of research so I was quite mentally prepared at this point.

I guess I mean just nervous about eating something different? I actually have been thinking about instating two red meat days because of my anemia, but I have a hard time following through for 2 reasons- one being that I’m a little weirded out my red meat these days (despite the fact that I want to go hunting to be a part of the process), and the other that I worry it gives me more access to unhealthy options like fast food and more processing.

How does one develop insulin resistance?
I reallly need to catch up on your accountability so I’m sorry if these questions have been answered!

"Performance is most easily improved not by adding things, but by removing obstacles."

#31 Igorina

Igorina

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3348 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 01:04 PM

I guess I mean just nervous about eating something different? I actually have been thinking about instating two red meat days because of my anemia, but I have a hard time following through for 2 reasons- one being that I’m a little weirded out my red meat these days (despite the fact that I want to go hunting to be a part of the process), and the other that I worry it gives me more access to unhealthy options like fast food and more processing.

I reallly need to catch up on your accountability so I’m sorry if these questions have been answered!

The cause is still a little bit unknown.

So far they know it's caused by a combination of genetics and environment.

The environment may turn on certain genetics. Some people do fine eating a standard balanced diet and do not develop IR. Some people develop IR on a balanced diet because that balanced diet is still above their carbohydrate threshold for developing IR. And once you have IR it takes a long time to reduce the severity of the IR.

In the west most people develop at least some mild IR as they get older. 

Temporary lapse.

#32 lostinthestars

lostinthestars

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3130 posts
  • LocationUSA & Belgium

Posted 07 September 2020 - 01:51 PM

First and foremost: I GOT MY PERIOD!!!! 

Deficit: 0
Macros: 177p/33c/93f (30 net carbs)
Calories: 1690
Steps: 7.5k

Meal 1 (11:00) - I snacked on some blue cheese and made a protein crepe (?) and a delicious omelette. I added too much water to the pancake mix so it ended up being flat. To help it out, I added some quark.

Snack 1 (2:30) - smoked turkey and gouda

Snack 2 (4:30) - pâté 

Meal 2 (5:30) - whole tiny baked tuna and minute steak with an egg yolk and lots of gouda to help the flavor.

Meal 3 (8:00) - more pâté with cream cheese and quark with cinnamon

Comments:

period talk

Spoiler

- My macros today were just far from what I'm aiming for. I ate too much today and it automatically resulted in too high protein and carbs. However, half of the carbs were from the pâté because liver has carbs and I also seasoned the heck out of it. I used 30 g of powdered onions and garlic among other things for the whole recipe just to mask the aftertaste.

- I would've had a decent deficit if I hadn't eaten at 8:00 but I felt so damn lethargic. I'm feeling amazing now after eating more liver.

5fb87f089edbe1275dc9d5f3cc374354.jpgae3b2431a9c21673bd21022ce8d11a33.jpg70537d26758244da40ce202bdc1117d8.jpg4f674b0e264c4c7e7a5db16eb4508784.jpg

• sorena likes this

#33 lostinthestars

lostinthestars

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3130 posts
  • LocationUSA & Belgium

Posted 07 September 2020 - 02:45 PM

When you're passing that mashed liver through that sieve you're going to wish you had a food processor. It's a tedious task.

I certainly don't know everything about zerocarb/carnivore. There's a lot I haven't tried yet.

The only cuisine I know that uses intestine and tripe a lot is Chinese (and they're hardly one culture, it's a cultural mix there, different cuisines) and all of the recipes I've seen with tripe and intestine use a lot of seasonings and spices. It's usually covered in chili oil.

I don't think tripe and intestine have an interesting nutritional profile. It's mainly just protein. It's not like liver and kidneys that have a lot of mineral and vitamins.

I did about 1/3 of this through the sieve and I was cursing in my head the whole time. I decided to just let the rest be because it was quite mashed from my mashing it with a fork. Then, I decided to give the kitchen cabinets and drawers another look. I thought I'd seen everything, but lo and behold... an electric hand blender! I think it's what it is. It has sharp blades at the end. I finished the pâté in a few minutes and froze 2/3 of the result. I originally prepared 400g of liver for this so I'll have plenty. for a while. With this blender, I'll be making this by the kilo and freezing it. It's ridiculously cheap too! This whole batch was less than a euro and yielded 360 g after cooked.

I'm not too mad that I spent so much time doing this by hand because I have nothing better to do (except learn Dutch). I have no job and no classes yet.

I'm not nervous about eating something different. I miss my old foods very much. I like the taste of vegan food. I'd kill to have a diet of oatmeal with fruit and PB or quinoa and lentils with a kale salad. I even miss my low-carb plant-based foods like stir-fried veggies and tofu and protein ice cream. As far as taste goes, I could totally leave meat and eggs.

The reason why I did this was because I'm tired of being a slave to food in the sense that with severe IR, whenever I'd get hungry, I'd have to eat now. Not half an hour, or even 10 minutes. When I went on my first "diet" this year, I did manage to lose 10 lbs. with just low-carb as long as my net carbs were below 50. I did quite well, but I plateaued for a month and then I just had to quit. I didn't have any energy and my entire body was achy all the time. I ate at a small deficit and close to maintenance most days and I couldn't recover from workouts. 

IR just causes intense fat storage when eating normal carbs even at "maintenance." It makes no sense.

Feeling this way is rough. To answer your question, I just wanted to be able to feel normal, have energy, not feel bloated and puffy, not depend on food, fix my hormones... and it's a trade-off I'd have to make. I'd have to give up my familiar foods for these things.

(I haven't talked about insulin resistance on this thread.) It can be caused by a lot of things. Many people develop it from chronic stress, overeating carbs, or not enough movement. My case is strictly genetic and very severe. My dad has it the same way. He lost over 20 lbs. the moment he stopped eating starches and fruit. He has been put on different diets by nutritionists and worked out consistently before with the help of a PT, but he hardly lost any weight. I lived with him this whole time and he wasn't sneaking in food. He used to eat oats, brown rice, beans, a lot of fruit... yet he was 50 lbs. overweight and he wasn't overeating enough to warrant his size. As soon as he dropped the carbs, it was like CICO was suddenly a thing.

• Igorina, Katatat and milksteak like this

#34 Igorina

Igorina

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3348 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 03:29 PM

I did about 1/3 of this through the sieve and I was cursing in my head the whole time. I decided to just let the rest be because it was quite mashed from my mashing it with a fork. Then, I decided to give the kitchen cabinets and drawers another look. I thought I'd seen everything, but lo and behold... an electric hand blender! I think it's what it is. It has sharp blades at the end. I finished the pâté in a few minutes and froze 2/3 of the result. I originally prepared 400g of liver for this so I'll have plenty. for a while. With this blender, I'll be making this by the kilo and freezing it. It's ridiculously cheap too! This whole batch was less than a euro and yielded 360 g after cooked.

I'm not too mad that I spent so much time doing this by hand because I have nothing better to do (except learn Dutch). I have no job and no classes yet.

I'm not nervous about eating something different. I miss my old foods very much. I like the taste of vegan food. I'd kill to have a diet of oatmeal with fruit and PB or quinoa and lentils with a kale salad. I even miss my low-carb plant-based foods like stir-fried veggies and tofu and protein ice cream. As far as taste goes, I could totally leave meat and eggs.

The reason why I did this was because I'm tired of being a slave to food in the sense that with severe IR, whenever I'd get hungry, I'd have to eat now. Not half an hour, or even 10 minutes. When I went on my first "diet" this year, I did manage to lose 10 lbs. with just low-carb as long as my net carbs were below 50. I did quite well, but I plateaued for a month and then I just had to quit. I didn't have any energy and my entire body was achy all the time. I ate at a small deficit and close to maintenance most days and I couldn't recover from workouts. 

IR just causes intense fat storage when eating normal carbs even at "maintenance." It makes no sense.

Feeling this way is rough. To answer your question, I just wanted to be able to feel normal, have energy, not feel bloated and puffy, not depend on food, fix my hormones... and it's a trade-off I'd have to make. I'd have to give up my familiar foods for these things.

(I haven't talked about insulin resistance on this thread.) It can be caused by a lot of things. Many people develop it from chronic stress, overeating carbs, or not enough movement. My case is strictly genetic and very severe. My dad has it the same way. He lost over 20 lbs. the moment he stopped eating starches and fruit. He has been put on different diets by nutritionists and worked out consistently before with the help of a PT, but he hardly lost any weight. I lived with him this whole time and he wasn't sneaking in food. He used to eat oats, brown rice, beans, a lot of fruit... yet he was 50 lbs. overweight and he wasn't overeating enough to warrant his size. As soon as he dropped the carbs, it was like CICO was suddenly a thing.

I'm amazed you got a period, congratulations! It may have something to do with that you're offering your body plenty of protein and dietary fat from animal sources and that's very bio-available. You're also eating very nutrient dense foods such as fatty fish and liver and blue cheese.

"an electric hand blender" Do you mean one of those stick immersion blenders? Thank goodness you found something.

I made pate 2 years ago and I remember adding nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and pepper and maybe some other spices. It was a typical christmas pate.

" I like the taste of vegan food. I'd kill to have a diet of oatmeal with fruit and PB or quinoa and lentils with a kale salad. I even miss my low-carb plant-based foods like stir-fried veggies and tofu and protein ice cream. As far as taste goes, I could totally leave meat and eggs."

I think the exact same way. I miss all of those typically healthy vegan foods. And I am very neutral towards meat and eggs. I don't love them, but I don't hate them either.

"As soon as he dropped the carbs, it was like CICO was suddenly a thing." You explain that so well. And I've gone through the same thing. With calorie restriction on a mixed macro diet I lost maybe 1/5th of the CICO projection. The more I went towards a low carb diet the more my results would come closer to the CICO projection. Severely limiting carbs on its own didn't get me all the way to a normal weight loss rate, I found out I had to moderate my protein intake too. And then suddenly I was losing weight in line with the CICO projection and feeling a lot better because I had access to a lot more stored energy (from body fat) with lower insulin levels.
Before I found my ideal macros I just felt like I was starving on a 500kcal deficit on low carb. I should have been losing 0.4/0.5kg a week on that but I was happy to lose 0.2kg a week and suffered so much for it. That's what people don't realize, if you have IR and restricting calories you are starving much more because you can't fully access the stored fat until you figure out your macros that help lower insulin levels and allow more access to stored fat.

IR is misery and we do what me must.

Temporary lapse.

#35 lostinthestars

lostinthestars

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3130 posts
  • LocationUSA & Belgium

Posted 07 September 2020 - 04:24 PM

I think the exact same way. I miss all of those typically healthy vegan foods. And I am very neutral towards meat and eggs. I don't love them, but I don't hate them either.

The more I went towards a low carb diet the more my results would come closer to the CICO projection. Severely limiting carbs on its own didn't get me all the way to a normal weight loss rate, I found out I had to moderate my protein intake too. And then suddenly I was losing weight in line with the CICO projection and feeling a lot better because I had access to a lot more stored energy (from body fat) with lower insulin levels.
Before I found my ideal macros I just felt like I was starving on a 500kcal deficit on low carb. I should have been losing 0.4/0.5kg a week on that but I was happy to lose 0.2kg a week and suffered so much for it. That's what people don't realize, if you have IR and restricting calories you are starving much more because you can't fully access the stored fat until you figure out your macros that help lower insulin levels and allow more access to stored fat.

IR is misery and we do what me must.

I don't think my body can absorb many nutrients from plant foods. I felt malnourished and I know I had deficiencies even though I "ate the rainbow." Since I started to eat mainly animal foods a week ago, I have felt much better (at a deficit, in the middle of the keto flu, jet lag, and before my period) than I have in years. I know for sure the liver made a big difference! Pate with cinnamon actually sounds good. I'll give it a try! I see pate here in European supermarkets a lot. So many brands! It's a food most Americans tend to see as disgusting.

I didn't know it was called a stick immersion blender, lol. I had to google that. Whoever left it there, I am forever grateful! 

A lot of people who switch from vegan to animal-based say that they like meat better as far as taste too. I do agree with your sentiment about being neutral to carnivore foods. I can enjoy it, but it's not quite the same. I do enjoy the satisfied feeling after eating, though. I never got that before.

Most people don't realize how truly awful is IR. I think that they see "CICO" everywhere and "laws of thermodynamics" that they don't realize that there's a group of people who produce enough insulin to give hypoglycemia to a horse when eating half the carbs that a "normal" person would eat. The body just doesn't realize that there's fat to be burned with so much insulin. I think that another reason I lost my period for so long is because my body probably thinks I have a 12% body fat since it can't access its fat stores.

Before I came to Belgium, I was eating at a 400 calorie daily deficit at 100 net carbs for almost a month and I maintained. I need a maximum of 50, preferably below 40, net carbs to lose weight according to CICO, but I feel miserable. 

Knowing my record, I'll probably stall within a couple of months so I'll lower my protein then (and dairy too). For now, I'm still getting accustomed to this.

Do you count calories now or just eat to satiety? 

• Igorina likes this

#36 Igorina

Igorina

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3348 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 06:14 PM

I think that another reason I lost my period for so long is because my body probably thinks I have a 12% body fat since it can't access its fat stores.

Knowing my record, I'll probably stall within a couple of months so I'll lower my protein then (and dairy too). For now, I'm still getting accustomed to this.

Do you count calories now or just eat to satiety? 

That's making me think about why I lost my period in 2018 (it's back since october 2019). You bring up a good point about IR and the body not seeing the fat stores.

I assumed it was prolonged caloric restriction that made me lose my period. But it might have been IR in combination with restriction.

To restrict with IR; From the body's perspective there is food scarcity since not much is coming in, and then it doesn't have access to all of the fat stores so it may think that indeed your bf% is low. Not much energy coming in, and you can't fully open the valve of the storage tank. You're more starved than someone without IR who can access a gazillion calories from fat stores.

The only thing the body can do is decrease metabolism and increase hunger signaling.

You have to have an iron will to continue restriction whilst the body is in panic mode and all alarm bells are going off. But we continue anyway because we see other people restrict as well.

But we don't realize how much easier they have it until we get our own insulin levels down.

I'm being a bit over dramatic here.

I hope you won't get a stall, I hope this will go smooth for you.

I don't count calories and I don't restrict calories but I sort of know how much I am eating.

My carbs and protein are set, the only thing that varies for me is dietary fat intake. I eat that according to my appetite. My intake is usually between 1600 and 1700 a day, and my TDEE is supposed to be around 1900. But TDEE and appetite both fluctuate. I'm losing overshoot weight now (weight I gained in recovery) without calorie restriction quicker than I did when I was restricting.

I'm getting all the benefits from having a restored metabolism and having my macros figured out. I'm 164cm and currently 0.5kg over my healthy weight range and it's not unusual for me to drop 0.4-0.8kg a week.

Of course there are some weeks where I either drop nothing or a small amount. There usually some explanation like increased salt intake or the introduction of a new food. Weight loss is rarely linear, it's more of a wibbly wobbly line with a downward trend. I'd like to lose 5.5-6 more kilos before I want to maintain. Maybe that will happen naturally, because weight loss usually slows down as we get into our healthy weight range.

Temporary lapse.

#37 Occoco

Occoco

Advanced Guru

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 05:02 AM

What I am wondering the most on Carnivore / Zero Carb diets is

How do you get loads of potassium? (Coconut water is one handy way but apart from that have no ideas)

How do you get all the other minerals, vitamins, antioxidants etc ?
  • Igorina, shixxxy and lostinthestars like this

#38 Igorina

Igorina

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3348 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 10:08 AM

How do you get loads of potassium? (Coconut water is one handy way but apart from that have no ideas)

It's been a while since I looked into this. It's possible to get everything in adequate amounts on a carnivore (animal products only) diet, I've seen someone do a breakdown of what that would look like using cronometer. I don't have the link handy.

I would ask this question over at the zerocarb subreddit. They have a thread where you can just ask questions like these (read the sidebar for the rules first though).

I just kept taking my regular multivitamin whilst on the carnivore diet so I didn't worry too much about deficiencies.

• lostinthestars and Occoco like this

Temporary lapse.

#39 lostinthestars

lostinthestars

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3130 posts
  • LocationUSA & Belgium

Posted 08 September 2020 - 02:53 PM

Deficit: 575
Macros: 160p/14c/57f (13 net carbs)
Calories: 1242
Steps: 10k

Meal 1 (11:00) - I nibbled on some leftover quark, a tiny bit of bleu cheese, and the rest of the pate that I didn't freeze while making 2 eggs and frying pealed steak.

Meal 2 (5:00) - baked beef heart and cream cheese, soft cheese, and bleu cheese mixed up for "dessert" aka Iwasstillhungryandcouldonlyeatfat.

Comments:
- I am very hungry. I think it's a because of my period. I also need to increase my fats, but what else is new?
- I bought a 2.4 kg beef heart (over 5 lbs). It was just sitting there on display. I got a very weird look from the butchers when I asked for it. I'm going to slice it up, put it in some bento boxes, and freeze half of it. I baked a good bit of it for dinner and it was tasty. 
- Apparently, sheep heart has carbs and is fattier than beef heart. Beef heart contains negligible carbs. That would explain why sheep heart has a slightly sweeter taste.

I cannot transfer sunny-side-up eggs gracefully onto my plate without breaking them.

1a280ab603d61ba31f27e2f2fad09d4d.jpgb397918d4ea0bd6f88ae7965e02933c1.jpg5273ff137e13a10d617239b4dfd17ca8.jpg

• Igorina and Katatat like this

#40 lostinthestars

lostinthestars

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3130 posts
  • LocationUSA & Belgium

Posted 08 September 2020 - 03:18 PM

There are lots of electrolyte capsules, tabs, and powders to get potassium and magnesium.

As far as vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals, red meats have loads of them, especially organs. Since I eat at a deficit, I don't meet all my nutrients so I take a multivitamin. Also, nutrients are more bioavailable (in their most absorbent form) from animal products than from vegetables. 

• Katatat likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users