My ZeroCarb accountability - pics - Low Carb Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

My ZeroCarb accountability - pics

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#1 lostinthestars

lostinthestars

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2351 posts
  • LocationUSA & Belgium

Posted 03 September 2020 - 03:37 PM

Hello everyone!

It's been a little while since I've been on MPA. I had a low-carb accountability this year and I did pretty well (lost about 10 lbs.) but then stalled bigtime. I just moved abroad last week (US to Europe :P) and well, new country, new me.

I was raised pescatarian, became vegetarian at 12, and vegan at 14, then switched to mainly plant-based at 22 until recently. I've been low carb for several years now and it's about time to take it a step further (thanks, insulin resistance and PCOS), so, carnivore(ish), here I come!

Measurements:

- 5'4

- about 115 lbs.

- 25" waist (smallest)

- 36" hips (lower hips/butt area, lol)

- 20.25" thighs (at thickest part)

I hope to lose 2 inches on each aforementioned body part. I have no scale so I have no idea how much I'll weigh, lol.

I'm very new to eating meat so I'll be experimenting lots. My tastebuds are not quite accustomed to the taste of red meat so please give me tips on how to cook different cuts. I'm also poor af (I'm a graduate student in a foreign country) so I'm always buying discount meat and will be figuring out the cheapest cuts and where to buy them. Eggs are a staple, ofc. 

As far as macros are concerned, my goal is 100 g of fat, 100 g protein (or 130 if I'm very active), and <10g carbs, preferably 5. This way, I'll be at 1300-1450 calories. My TDEE with 10k steps is 1800 calories so I could lose a lb./week.

I'm also doing IF.

Okay, that's a thorough enough intro, I think :)

• Igorina and orlaxmuirie like this

​24 : 5'4

I'm after lower measurements and improving body composition.

Accountability: https://www.myproana...ntability-pics/

#2 Igorina

Igorina

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3078 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 03:55 PM

This is quite a big change for you, from vegan to carnivore.

I think carnivore can be amazing when you can afford and source the cuts you like to eat and have figured out the macros that work for you.

I did carnivore for a good while in 2018 and 2019 but have now reintroduced some plant foods for convenience.

I live in the Netherlands and it seems every european country has their own culinary traditions with meat. Some cuts are easier to get in specific countries and not others.

I got really funny and sometimes angry looks from several butchers when I wanted to buy raw beef fat. They thought I was trying to save money by melting it myself instead of buying their rendered beef fat.

I was just cubing it and adding it to my recipes in the last minutes of cooking time just to warm through but not melt it. Eating the same amount in rendered beef fat would have given me some serious bowel trouble.

I struggled to find sufficiently marbled cuts of beef and lamb here, regardless whether I could afford them or not. Customers here prefer leaner cuts so shops trim the fat a lot.

So I ended up needing to add fat sources like beef fat and butter. I eventually grew tired of ground beef as well. Even when I ground my own which was much more clean tasting than store bought.

Where I live there's something called "student steak" which is actually slices of beef heart cooked like a steak. It's cheap here at around 4 to 5 euros a kg compared to steak at around 20 euro per kg.

Ground beef and eggs are another carnivore-on-a-budget staple.

• lostinthestars likes this

In recovery, not recovered, there's a difference.

#3 lostinthestars

lostinthestars

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2351 posts
  • LocationUSA & Belgium

Posted 03 September 2020 - 03:57 PM

Today's food:

12 pm - minute steak, 4 eggs, mozzarella, and Goldessa soft cheese

3 pm - smoked turkey (I read the ingredients, there's no sugar or other carb fillers) with cream cheese and brie

7 pm - chicken breast baked with 5 g coconut oil and more cheese and cream cheese

Deficit: 720

Macros: 126p/8c/64f

Calories: 1136

Steps: 11k

Comments:

- I need to increase my fat but I'm scared because it's so calorie dense.

- Portion sizes are tiny! I'm quite used to eating 3 lbs. of veggies + 12 oz. of tofu in one sitting and still be hungry.

- My hunger is much lower. I could never eat below 1200 calories per day. I'm still hungry, but it's tolerable.

- It sounds like I ate a lot of cheese since I had some with each meal, but it wasn't much total.

- I eat to not feel weak and hungry, not to feel full. If I want to eat at a deficit on carnivore, my stomach won't be full.

- I've been doing this for a few days already and seeing results. 

- Coconut oil will be included in this diet because there was a jar of it left by previous tenants. I know it's not carnivore, but I don't feel like buying butter when I have a perfectly good jar of coconut oil for free.

- It feels good to not be bloated :D

• iscarewhitepeople likes this

#4 lostinthestars

lostinthestars

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2351 posts
  • LocationUSA & Belgium

Posted 03 September 2020 - 04:06 PM

Thank you so much for all the tips! Ik studeer in Vlaanderen ;)

I actually prefer leaner cuts because buying fat is cheap per kg. I just bought some lean steaks for 30% off at Lidl and ended up paying about 4-5 euros/kg. One is gepelde steak and the other is minuutesteak. They're both incredibly lean. 

I haven't been vegetarian (just plant-based) for a year. I did eat some chicken and turkey on occasion. I know that my body doesn't absorb nutrients too well from plants + insulin resistance is just not a good combination and I think my health will benefit from this.

The taste of red meat... ugh. Honestly, I have to eat it with eggs to tolerate it. I love raw egg yolks on my steak, though. Some cheese does it favors too, haha.

Do most butchers around here have organ meats? What would you recommend for beginners? I haven't seen beef heart yet, but I do want to try it.

I do plan on reintroducing fermented veggies after zero-carb for a few months. I made some sauerkraut a few days ago and will refrigerate it when it gets aged enough for my taste.

• Igorina likes this

#5 Igorina

Igorina

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3078 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 05:01 PM

Thank you so much for all the tips! Ik studeer in Vlaanderen ;)

I actually prefer leaner cuts because buying fat is cheap per kg. I just bought some lean steaks for 30% off at Lidl and ended up paying about 4-5 euros/kg. One is gepelde steak and the other is minuutesteak. They're both incredibly lean. 

I haven't been vegetarian (just plant-based) for a year. I did eat some chicken and turkey on occasion. I know that my body doesn't absorb nutrients too well from plants + insulin resistance is just not a good combination and I think my health will benefit from this.

The taste of red meat... ugh. Honestly, I have to eat it with eggs to tolerate it. I love raw egg yolks on my steak, though. Some cheese does it favors too, haha.

Do most butchers around here have organ meats? What would you recommend for beginners? I haven't seen beef heart yet, but I do want to try it.

I do plan on reintroducing fermented veggies after zero-carb for a few months. I made some sauerkraut a few days ago and will refrigerate it when it gets aged enough for my taste.

Regarding organ meat availability;

supermarkets sometimes only have chicken liver. Some others carry pork liver as well.

Butchers will usually have at least chicken liver and pork liver. Sometimes you can specially request beef liver, lamb liver (lamb liver is pretty mild compared to the others) because the butcher doesn't have it in their display case up front.

You rarely see kidneys in the netherlands. I had to ask for them at the butcher and they had them in the freezer.

Liver and kidneys are usually cheap even if you get organic. And it's worth getting them organic because they will taste a lot better. IMO conventionally raised pork liver tastes like garbage.

If you can eat full fat dairy (cheese, creme fraiche, sour cream, cream, cream cheese) that will make the diet a lot more convenient and tasty.

I live just over the belgian border in the dutch city of Breda. Afaik vlaanderen has some great charcuterie. I think that's good as a treat.

Sounds like you got a great deal on those steaks. I buy steak at 18euro a kg at the Albert Heijn supermarket.

I also have IR (it used to be more severe in the past though) and IBS and I found that eating mostly meat/fish/eggs/butter and figuring out my macros was the key for my well being.

I've reintroduced some plant foods and only kept those in my rotation that didn't interfere with my progress regarding IBS and weight control.

Doing pure carnivore in the past was a great way to give my bowels some rest.

Regarding the taste of red meat; you don't like steak pan fried in butter? Beef heart tastes pretty much like steak to me. Perhaps a little milder.

Everyone has their preferences of course. I prefer lamb. I don't really like pork. I will randomly just lose the taste for something and not want to continue having it in my rotation.

I ate salmon for a while (oven baked) and just got tired of it. Steak and scrambled eggs are two things I haven't gotten tired of and I've been eating those for a long time.

I wish I could eat cheese and cream on a daily basis but sadly that interferes with my weight (even if I keep it within my CICO budget). The zerocarb subreddit has a lot to say about why that happens. It has something to do with IGF-1 (insulin-like growth factor) and how it effects some people with IR.

I recommend trying out canned cod liver, canned sardines, beef liver, lamb liver, lamb kidneys, salmon from the frozen section, shrimp, ground lamb, frozen squid, and visiting not only supermarkets and regular butchers but also butchers that cater to the turkish/moroccon demographic. They tend to have lamb cuts they other butchers don't.

I think from a nutrition perspective I would recommend against buying chicken livers and pork livers.

What kind of cooking methods do you have access to? Slow cooker? Oven?

#6 lostinthestars

lostinthestars

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2351 posts
  • LocationUSA & Belgium

Posted 04 September 2020 - 03:59 AM

Regarding organ meat availability;

supermarkets sometimes only have chicken liver. Some others carry pork liver as well.

Butchers will usually have at least chicken liver and pork liver. Sometimes you can specially request beef liver, lamb liver (lamb liver is pretty mild compared to the others) because the butcher doesn't have it in their display case up front.

You rarely see kidneys in the netherlands. I had to ask for them at the butcher and they had them in the freezer.

Liver and kidneys are usually cheap even if you get organic. And it's worth getting them organic because they will taste a lot better. IMO conventionally raised pork liver tastes like garbage.

If you can eat full fat dairy (cheese, creme fraiche, sour cream, cream, cream cheese) that will make the diet a lot more convenient and tasty.

I live just over the belgian border in the dutch city of Breda. Afaik vlaanderen has some great charcuterie. I think that's good as a treat.

Sounds like you got a great deal on those steaks. I buy steak at 18euro a kg at the Albert Heijn supermarket.

I also have IR (it used to be more severe in the past though) and IBS and I found that eating mostly meat/fish/eggs/butter and figuring out my macros was the key for my well being.

I've reintroduced some plant foods and only kept those in my rotation that didn't interfere with my progress regarding IBS and weight control.

Doing pure carnivore in the past was a great way to give my bowels some rest.

Regarding the taste of red meat; you don't like steak pan fried in butter? Beef heart tastes pretty much like steak to me. Perhaps a little milder.

Everyone has their preferences of course. I prefer lamb. I don't really like pork. I will randomly just lose the taste for something and not want to continue having it in my rotation.

I ate salmon for a while (oven baked) and just got tired of it. Steak and scrambled eggs are two things I haven't gotten tired of and I've been eating those for a long time.

I wish I could eat cheese and cream on a daily basis but sadly that interferes with my weight (even if I keep it within my CICO budget). The zerocarb subreddit has a lot to say about why that happens. It has something to do with IGF-1 (insulin-like growth factor) and how it effects some people with IR.

I recommend trying out canned cod liver, canned sardines, beef liver, lamb liver, lamb kidneys, salmon from the frozen section, shrimp, ground lamb, frozen squid, and visiting not only supermarkets and regular butchers but also butchers that cater to the turkish/moroccon demographic. They tend to have lamb cuts they other butchers don't.

I think from a nutrition perspective I would recommend against buying chicken livers and pork livers.

What kind of cooking methods do you have access to? Slow cooker? Oven?

This is the most useful info on carnivore I have ever read (and I follow r/carnivore and r/zerocarb)!

I forgot to mention that I don't eat pork and never will for a lot of reasons. 

I do live very close to the Turkish area in the city and have walked by their butcher shops. I'm really happy that they're more likely to carry what I'm looking for :D Where I live in the US, butcher shops are not common and the few ones are very expensive so I'm excited that it's possible to just walk up to one and ask for specific cuts.

I won't be carnivore forever because I love my veggies and other foods, but I think right now it will reset my taste and lower my IR.

Full fat cheese scares me, lol. I'm still getting over my fear of fats because I used to be a massive volume eater. I've tried brie and gagged. 

As far as access to cooking methods, I only have a stove and oven (and microwave, but that's not useful in carnivore haha). 

I'll try pan-fried steak for my first meal today!

• Igorina likes this

#7 lostinthestars

lostinthestars

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2351 posts
  • LocationUSA & Belgium

Posted 04 September 2020 - 04:06 AM

Body checks... I'll only be measuring progress by pics and measurements.13dcb13893fc27cb5e005500093f15dd.jpg581a1ef70af92696903f0a23b23fadd1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
  • savingsarah, Igorina, Katatat and 1 other like this

#8 Igorina

Igorina

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3078 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 12:12 PM

This is the most useful info on carnivore I have ever read (and I follow r/carnivore and r/zerocarb)!

I forgot to mention that I don't eat pork and never will for a lot of reasons. 

I do live very close to the Turkish area in the city and have walked by their butcher shops. I'm really happy that they're more likely to carry what I'm looking for :D Where I live in the US, butcher shops are not common and the few ones are very expensive so I'm excited that it's possible to just walk up to one and ask for specific cuts.

I won't be carnivore forever because I love my veggies and other foods, but I think right now it will reset my taste and lower my IR.

Full fat cheese scares me, lol. I'm still getting over my fear of fats because I used to be a massive volume eater. I've tried brie and gagged. 

As far as access to cooking methods, I only have a stove and oven (and microwave, but that's not useful in carnivore haha). 

I'll try pan-fried steak for my first meal today!

That's really nice of you to say :)

I don't like pork, and I have found it's not making it more difficult for me to exclude it. Most people act like bacon is a must have food. I'm happy without it.

I would gag if I needed to eat another bite of pork belly. It's not the fat to protein ratio but something about the pork fat that's just so nauseating to me now.

Definitely don't feel shy about butcher shops. Walk in and ask for specific cuts and always ask for the prices. 

I've requested something before, the butcher got it and I had not asked the price before requesting the cut. He just expected me to buy the stuff without me knowing the price beforehand.

I bought it but will never request something without asking for the price first.

You can also ask about ingredients they use in ground beef, sausages etc.

Full fat anything doesn't scare me anymore. Dietary fat and lots of it has been very useful to me in reducing insulin resistance. Fat causes the lowest insulin spike.

I haven't been a high volume eater in a long time so maybe that's also why the high fat doesn't scare me.

Fat helps give me the satiety, energy and the good mood I need to have a good time losing weight. I consider carbohydrates and protein my levers for weight loss. I just eat dietary fat according to my satiety levels.

My intake looks like this;

Carbohydrates=around 10gr net carbs a day. The large majority comes from animal sources, and then some from plant foods.

protein= enough for satiety, enough to prevent becoming physically weak, enough to support my daily activities. 60gr protein. I will consider upping protein once I'm a lot closer to ideal weight and IR has lowered. Some people with IR can eat as much protein as they like without it interfering with weight loss. But for others with IR it doesn't work that way sadly.

Typically the less severe your IR is the more protein you can eat without it interfering with weight loss.

Do you have a "braadpan"  (aka a dutch oven, or a thick bottomed pot suitable for stewing meat in)? If you have such a pan and have the time for it I recommend trying out "riblappen" (chuck roast) because it's a beautiful piece of beef that isn't too expensive and is delicious when it has had enough stewing time.

How I prepare steak; I heat some butter in a frying pan and sear the steak on high heat for half a minute on each side (it must be said I don't fry on high heat long enough to burn the butter). Then I lower the heat and fry the steak on low on both sides until it gets to my preferred level of doneness. Some days I want it more rare than others.

I find it very easy to control the level of doneness in this way. I haven't tried the reverse sear.

#9 Katatat

Katatat

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2493 posts
  • LocationNorthern CA

Posted 04 September 2020 - 02:18 PM

Do you find yourself feeling nervous transitioning into eating meat? I once tried to make pork liver (I don’t eat any red meat) and I left it just sitting in the fridge and I just couldn’t eat it. I wanted to, because of all of the health benefits, but just felt strange about it, probably not the best meat to start with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Igorina and lostinthestars like this

"Performance is most easily improved not by adding things, but by removing obstacles."

Spoiler

#10 lostinthestars

lostinthestars

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2351 posts
  • LocationUSA & Belgium

Posted 04 September 2020 - 03:33 PM

Deficit: 580

Macros: 114p/17c/60f

Calories: 1097

Steps: 7k

So here's the story: I went to two Middle Eastern-type butcher shops. The first one was fine. I went in and asked for ground turkey, ground beef, lamb or beef heart, spleen, and liver. The butcher said they didn't have any turkey or ground beef but he was very helpful and answered all my questions despite my less-than-stellar Dutch. I ended up buying a lamb heart and beef or lamb liver (I think it's beef because it's big. I can't remember.) Anyways, he was very nice and I paid less than 3 euros.

The second butcher shop didn't go well. I asked for ground turkey and beef and organs. I mentioned specific organs too.This shop had too many people speaking at the same time. It was loud and hard to hear and none of what was being spoken there was Dutch. All the clients were immigrants. When I asked a butcher if they had any of the above items, he looked at me like I had 2 heads. He clearly didn't understand my Dutch. Fair enough. He said, "English? English?" I said, "Yes." He said, "No English, he English." And pointed to another butcher. Fair enough. 

Nope. I repeated myself in English, very slowly, again in Dutch, nope, nope, nope. He didn't understand me and I definitely didn't understand him. I'm sure masks don't help, but... he really didn't speak either. Oh, and I saw organs behind the counter too. It looked like liver and hearts. I just said thank you and walked away. Everyone looked at me like I didn't belong there, which I clearly didn't, anyways, haha. 

I went by Lidl on my way to buy another dozen eggs and walked back to my apartment.

My hunger has been quite blunted, which is fine. I didn't eat my first meal until 12:30 today. I made a massive pancake made out of egg, whey protein, and water. I ordered last week 5 kg of whey protein, vanilla flavored and sweetened with stevia. I know it's not 100% zerocarb, but I've just got to eat something that's resembles some sort of normalcy and doesn't taste like meat. I cooked it with coconut oil. It was a bit dry and tasted eggy, but it was quite fluffy. Next time, I will make it into 2 smaller pancakes instead of 1 big one and use more water. This pancake grows. I'll definitely be making more of these to take to classes with me because I can just meal prep them and store them in ziplock bags.

The gepelde steak I ate today was *chef's kiss* I was not expecting it to be so delicious. The minuute steak I had yesterday was not my cup of tea. 

Also, lambs heart was incredible! Holy cow... or holy lamb! I chopped up the lamb heart and beef liver and baked it at over 200 C for 25 minutes. As far as liver goes, the taste is acquired. It's not horrible, but I didn't look forward to the next bite. Since I had some nasty burps today and nausea an hour after dinner, I ended up tasting the liver with every burp. UGHHHH. That was the worst part of eating liver. To counteract this, I had some of my homemade sauerkraut and that helped. I think all that salt got rid of that horrible taste that would come up with every burp.

Enough rambles. Congratulations if you read so far, haha. I hope you are entertained by my plant-based to carnivore transition.

Photo dump:

OOTD and meals

Spoiler

• Igorina and boolimeeyer like this

#11 lostinthestars

lostinthestars

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2351 posts
  • LocationUSA & Belgium

Posted 04 September 2020 - 04:17 PM

There are more butcher shops I want to try out next week for sure! But I will return to the first butcher shop to buy more lamb hearts because it was 2 or 3 euros per kg and I find it incredibly satisfying.

I know I need to increase my fats. I'm going to challenge myself to add more fats slowly because I'm aiming for 100 g per day. The problem is that I have very low hunger and eating more fat just seems unnecessary. I'm sure that when my hunger increases, adding some butter and beef trimmings to my food will be helpful. I'll lower my protein if I stall. 

I don't have a braadpan, unfortunately. I just moved here from the states and use the kitchen utensils provided by the owners. 

I have to cook my meats well done. I'm sure that with time, as I acquire the taste for meat, I'll love a rare steak, but for now, I've got to get rid of as much of that meaty taste as I possibly can. I've seen some nice dairy products in Middle Eastern stores for even cheaper prices. They had some soft cheese and butter that was calling my name. I'll buy it when I finish this coconut oil and current cheeses. (They also had various types of yogurt but that has too many carbs.)

• Igorina likes this

#12 lostinthestars

lostinthestars

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2351 posts
  • LocationUSA & Belgium

Posted 04 September 2020 - 04:44 PM

Do you find yourself feeling nervous transitioning into eating meat? I once tried to make pork liver (I don’t eat any red meat) and I left it just sitting in the fridge and I just couldn’t eat it. I wanted to, because of all of the health benefits, but just felt strange about it, probably not the best meat to start with.

Do you mean nervous due to health reasons (the wide-held belief in modern Western culture that meat is unhealthy) or the grossness factor of eating unconventional parts of an animal?

It does feel gross to manipulate raw meat and I don't get that wonderful mental "clean" feeling eating animal products than I did when eating a "healthy" plant-based diet. 

However, I have severe insulin resistance. As far as health is concerned, I'm already feeling significantly better and I'm tired of trying every possible macro combination of a plant-based diet to help the problems caused by insulin resistance only to end up feeling miserable again. I'm taking vitamin C and just ordered some electrolyte pills online to prevent deficiencies. There's too much evidence of people online who had similar problems to mine and this diet helped them tremendously. 

I guess my logic is that I've got nothing to lose at this point, even though it feels as strange as you can imagine it. I've been planning this for a while and doing a lot of research so I was quite mentally prepared at this point. 

• Igorina likes this

#13 Igorina

Igorina

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3078 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 05:17 PM

There are more butcher shops I want to try out next week for sure! But I will return to the first butcher shop to buy more lamb hearts because it was 2 or 3 euros per kg and I find it incredibly satisfying.

I know I need to increase my fats. I'm going to challenge myself to add more fats slowly because I'm aiming for 100 g per day. The problem is that I have very low hunger and eating more fat just seems unnecessary. I'm sure that when my hunger increases, adding some butter and beef trimmings to my food will be helpful. I'll lower my protein if I stall. 

I don't have a braadpan, unfortunately. I just moved here from the states and use the kitchen utensils provided by the owners. 

I have to cook my meats well done. I'm sure that with time, as I acquire the taste for meat, I'll love a rare steak, but for now, I've got to get rid of as much of that meaty taste as I possibly can. I've seen some nice dairy products in Middle Eastern stores for even cheaper prices. They had some soft cheese and butter that was calling my name. I'll buy it when I finish this coconut oil and current cheeses. (They also had various types of yogurt but that has too many carbs.)

That sounds like a good approach. If you're already experiencing low appetite then forcing yourself to eat drastically more fat is probably going to make you nauseous.

It's great that you listen to your appetite. My advice would be keep eating protein and fat according to your satiety levels. If there's a significant stall you can indeed take a look at your protein intake.

Oh, if you prefer meat to be "well done" I think steak becomes too tough (just my opinion) and it will be better to buy things like lamb and beef heart for your money.

Tough steak just seems like a waste of money to me.

I will think about your preference for meat that doesn't have too much of a meaty taste. If anything springs to my mind I'll post it.

Perhaps explore the many varieties of egg preparations (scrambled, sunny side up, poached, hard boiled, soft boiled, omelet, etc).

I'm not someone who dabbles in "keto concoctions" but I've heard that combining eggs with cream cheese can result in something that is between a pancake and an omelet.

Do you have a day planned where you can eat more calories or have more relaxed rules about carbohydrates? Even if you kept to the "only animal products" rule, there are a few things you can try if you like.

Back when I did carnivore I would always have one day a week where I would have no rules regarding calories, carb content and protein intake. That gave me room to try different things like roasted marrow bones, carnivore oven baked custard (it's just milk/cream with egg yolks), a big rib eye steak, carnivore panna cotta, etc. I mean there's a lot of things to choose from within the animal products range.

#14 lostinthestars

lostinthestars

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2351 posts
  • LocationUSA & Belgium

Posted 05 September 2020 - 05:00 AM

So far, I love a well done gepelde steak, lol. It didn't seem too tough and I did buy it on a very good discount. However, minuutesteak is another story. The taste is just too gamey and it is tough when well done.

I am all about heart. It is delicious, cheap (2-3 euros/kg), easy to prepare, nourishing, and just wonderful in every way <3 <3 <3

I can't wait to try more organs and beef heart and goat heart. Honestly, I prefer buying organs because it seems like they'll get thrown away while the muscle meat gets sold quickly. As an ex-vegan, this seems more ethical.

I love eggs in all the ways they can be cooked. Hard boiled is great for taking with me to classes, but at home, give me soft boiled and sunny side up with a runny yolk! I'm still having trouble overcooking the yolk because the egg white is too runny when the yolk is ready. I think I'll separate the whites from the yolks until I learn to get it right. I think I'll have an omelet tonight...

A couple of years ago, I made an omelet with cream cheese. I remember the texture being between a pancake and an omelet and it tasted more like an omelet. I have a 5 kg bag of whey protein so I may as well use it. I started using whey protein this year and found it to digest well so far. 

As far as liver is concerned, I would love to try paté, but I don't own a food processor. Eating liver felt like a chore. I'm looking for recipes right now. I've heard soaking it in milk helps, but I do have a lot of ACV a previous tenant left in the kitchen. I may marinate it in that.

I definitely believe in diet breaks so I do have planned 2-3 days every 2-3 weeks to eat at maintenance and to relax around food. I plan on eating more fat and maybe some raw yogurt too then. I have lots of exploring to do!

#15 Occoco

Occoco

Advanced Guru

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 07:24 AM

Carnivore seems like a brilliant way to get constipated to infinity and beyond

Have to ask, how do you find digestion on such diet and are you able to go daily?

#16 lostinthestars

lostinthestars

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2351 posts
  • LocationUSA & Belgium

Posted 05 September 2020 - 07:33 AM

Have to ask, how do you find digestion on such diet and are you able to go daily?

Definitely not constipated at all! I go every morning, thank you for asking. This is the best my digestion has been :)

When I was plant-based (eating over 200 g of fiber), I'd be painfully constipated.

• Occoco likes this

#17 Occoco

Occoco

Advanced Guru

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 07:48 AM

Definitely not constipated at all! I go every morning, thank you for asking. This is the best my digestion has been :)

When I was plant-based (eating over 200 g of fiber), I'd be painfully constipated.

Amazing! The only issue I still have is that I am part of the 'to infinity and beyond' constipation club despite actually eating a lot but I am not willing to drop my carbs because I need them for training

#18 Igorina

Igorina

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3078 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 12:00 PM

I think this is a conclusion that many jump to if they haven't done something like this diet. We are told fiber helps you poop and carnivore has no fiber so we assume constipation must result.

Strangely enough it seems that most people who start this way of eating have rather loose stools in the first 2 or 3 weeks and then it evens out.

Most people tend to eat keto macros on carnivore too, and the fat content keeps everything moving along. When I did it in 2018 and part of 2019 I wasn't constipated either.

My digestion was very different on carnivore than on other ways of eating though. And I mean that in the good way. I had no bloating, no cramps, no gas. Everything was just calm, smooth and quiet. I struggled with IBS in the past and this way of eating was such a relief.

I have since reintroduced plant foods on a trial and error basis.

#19 Occoco

Occoco

Advanced Guru

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 12:03 PM

I think this is a conclusion that many jump to if they haven't done something like this diet. We are told fiber helps you poop and carnivore has no fiber so we assume constipation must result.

Strangely enough it seems that most people who start this way of eating have rather loose stools in the first 2 or 3 weeks and then it evens out.

Most people tend to eat keto macros on carnivore too, and the fat content keeps everything moving along. When I did it in 2018 and part of 2019 I wasn't constipated either.
My digestion was very different on carnivore than on other ways of eating though. And I mean that in the good way. I had no bloating, no cramps, no gas. Everything was just calm, smooth and quiet. I struggled with IBS in the past and this way of eating was such a relief.
I have since reintroduced plant foods on a trial and error basis.

Fiber is the devil, I have mad stomach issues as well and only some of the low FODMAPs and low oxalate carbs suit me and my poor GI tract

I have to keep my fiber low because excess fiber just bloats me, makes me gassy and even more constipated

It's awful with the amount I am eating but thankfully the laxatives doctors gave me work really well so things could always be worse
  • Igorina likes this

#20 Igorina

Igorina

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3078 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 12:24 PM

Fiber is the devil, I have mad stomach issues as well and only some of the low FODMAPs and low oxalate carbs suit me and my poor GI tract

I have to keep my fiber low because excess fiber just bloats me, makes me gassy and even more constipated

It's awful with the amount I am eating but thankfully the laxatives doctors gave me work really well so things could always be worse

It sounds like you know the struggle :)

There are so many plant foods I'd like to eat but just can't because of IBS-D.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users