Can something other than trauma trigger ARFID as an adult - ARFID - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Can something other than trauma trigger ARFID as an adult

4 replies to this topic

#1 Soulina

Soulina

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 06:44 AM

Can you trigger ARFID as an adult? I started new medication few months back to my ADHD. I also have ASD. At first it decreased my appetite that was really a normal thing and to be expected, but soon everything started to taste too much and feel too much. I could no longer drink anything but water, no spices on anything etc.  It progressively got worse and even being off the medication does not change it back. I eat only very few items of food, and with these I have no issues with appetite, I like to eat them, and I feel hunger too. Anything else I just simply can not eat, I feel like I am going to suffocate as it gets stuck in my throat or it tastes like it is going to make me sick and I end up vomiting.

I eat roasted beef (no seasonings but salt), cream, milk, onion, carrots, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, apple, pear, grapes, avocado, cashew, almond, chia seeds, sour cream. Some fruit purées meant for babies (it cannot have anything but fruit and no strawberries, banana or blueberries.)

I have never liked cold food or hot food, so everything must be room temperature (This is not new thing, it has been since I was a child). No mixing of foods, except cream and beef also carrots can be dipped to avocado purée.

All vegetables must be raw (onion is exception)

I taste even miniscule amounts of corn/rice/tapioca starch in fruit purées and it makes them impossible to eat if they have it.

I have not eaten out, have not gotten anything precooked from stores, no takeaways nothing. I used to order food at least once a week, now I have not ordered anything, because there is nothing I could order. I also prefer eating with my hands and feel the food before I put it my mouth, instead of using a fork. There is no way for me to have any social interactions that include food. I feel so lone in this, I have tried to search for therapist that would be specialized in something like this, but I have not found any. So I am pretty much on my own as long as I am not malnourished I will not get any help here.

Good things are that I have lost weight and have not had any b/p episodes (I have been bulimic for 13 years, this is my record of not b/p since diagnosis) but other people just do not get why I can not eat other foods, why it is simply impossible and even trying a bite is a lot to ask.

-

We're gonna do it, going so high
We'll play all night, put away your exhaustion
I love it, love it, love it, love it, love it too
I showed myself to you so show yourself to me too
I want you to hug me
What do I do about this?
I caught attention seeking illness because of you
I don't know why I'm being like this
Why do I wanna do bad things?

-

NCT127 - Baby Don´t Like it

My stats:

Spoiler

My Threads:

Soulina´s thinspo dump (male K-pop idols)

Soulina´s rant thread  (random whining)

Soulina´s accountability (with NCT memes)

cd4170b82da77076799dba9db01c3408.gif

#2 minmax

minmax

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 09:06 AM

not a dr but I would guess bad anxiety might trigger it

#3 FantasticHamplanet

FantasticHamplanet

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 11:12 PM

Can you trigger ARFID as an adult? I started new medication few months back to my ADHD. I also have ASD. At first it decreased my appetite that was really a normal thing and to be expected, but soon everything started to taste too much and feel too much. I could no longer drink anything but water, no spices on anything etc.  It progressively got worse and even being off the medication does not change it back. I eat only very few items of food, and with these I have no issues with appetite, I like to eat them, and I feel hunger too. Anything else I just simply can not eat, I feel like I am going to suffocate as it gets stuck in my throat or it tastes like it is going to make me sick and I end up vomiting.

I eat roasted beef (no seasonings but salt), cream, milk, onion, carrots, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, apple, pear, grapes, avocado, cashew, almond, chia seeds, sour cream. Some fruit purées meant for babies (it cannot have anything but fruit and no strawberries, banana or blueberries.)
I have never liked cold food or hot food, so everything must be room temperature (This is not new thing, it has been since I was a child). No mixing of foods, except cream and beef also carrots can be dipped to avocado purée.

I taste even miniscule amounts of corn/rice/tapioca starch in fruit purées and it makes them impossible to eat if they have it.

I have not eaten out, have not gotten anything precooked from stores, no takeaways nothing. I used to order food at least once a week, now I have not ordered anything, because there is nothing I could order. I also prefer eating with my hands and feel the food before I put it my mouth, instead of using a fork. There is no way for me to have any social interactions that include food. I feel so lone in this, I have tried to search for therapist that would be specialized in something like this, but I have not found any. So I am pretty much on my own as long as I am not malnourished I will not get any help here.
Good things are that I have lost weight and have not had any b/p episodes (I have been bulimic for 13 years, this is my record of not b/p since diagnosis) but other people just do not get why I can not eat other foods, why it is simply impossible and even trying a bite is a lot to ask.

This sounds like OCD from autism. That's a really common trait of autism actually, only being able to eat certain foods. I did say the other day most eating disorders are caused by trauma but I definitely think OCD can trigger them too. Or just regular stress, not necessarily one big traumatic event. But to me it sounds like in your case OCD is causing this. I have OCD and aspergers too, have been like this before and know many other aspies who only eat certain foods. I hope this gets better for you since it's making socializing and whatnot more difficult. ASD makes it hard enough to socialize even without the food issues.

#4 Soulina

Soulina

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 04:25 AM

This sounds like OCD from autism. That's a really common trait of autism actually, only being able to eat certain foods. I did say the other day most eating disorders are caused by trauma but I definitely think OCD can trigger them too. Or just regular stress, not necessarily one big traumatic event. But to me it sounds like in your case OCD is causing this. I have OCD and aspergers too, have been like this before and know many other aspies who only eat certain foods. I hope this gets better for you since it's making socializing and whatnot more difficult. ASD makes it hard enough to socialize even without the food issues.

I have not had any form of OCD before or anyother symptoms of OCD. I do have sensory issues, whith clothing etc. always had. They also have gotten worse.

-

We're gonna do it, going so high
We'll play all night, put away your exhaustion
I love it, love it, love it, love it, love it too
I showed myself to you so show yourself to me too
I want you to hug me
What do I do about this?
I caught attention seeking illness because of you
I don't know why I'm being like this
Why do I wanna do bad things?

-

NCT127 - Baby Don´t Like it

My stats:

Spoiler

My Threads:

Soulina´s thinspo dump (male K-pop idols)

Soulina´s rant thread  (random whining)

Soulina´s accountability (with NCT memes)

cd4170b82da77076799dba9db01c3408.gif

#5 Prettylittleliar98xx

Prettylittleliar98xx

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 01:17 AM

Can you trigger ARFID as an adult? I started new medication few months back to my ADHD. I also have ASD. At first it decreased my appetite that was really a normal thing and to be expected, but soon everything started to taste too much and feel too much. I could no longer drink anything but water, no spices on anything etc. It progressively got worse and even being off the medication does not change it back. I eat only very few items of food, and with these I have no issues with appetite, I like to eat them, and I feel hunger too. Anything else I just simply can not eat, I feel like I am going to suffocate as it gets stuck in my throat or it tastes like it is going to make me sick and I end up vomiting.

Are they stimulant meds for the ADHD? This can change the type of food you like bc a) it dehydrates you a lot which changes how you’ll react to texture/taste and spice B) senses can be heightened on stimulants (though ADHD brains react differently to stims so idk) which can cause overwhelming/intense sensations potentially causing issues when eating. Many people with asd have sensory issues so if that’s case for you, that would definitely exacerbate that.

It’s surprising it hasn’t gone away after ceasing to take the meds, but it could be an association especially if you have sensory issues and food problems. I’m not totally sure but I presume you can develop ARFID the way you can develop other eating disorders at any age. Only a doctor can provide a diagnosis.

Fear foods can develop in any eating disorder so I can see how this experience could trigger a more severe problem. There’s potential for recovery with whatever label it ends up being, best of luck! Hopefully if you do get a label, others will be more understanding of how hard it is for you at the moment.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users