ED Books to recommend - Books and Poems - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

ED Books to recommend

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Pablo in Argentina

Pablo in Argentina

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1071 posts
  • LocationFar up North

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:19 PM

I am looking for ED books to read, which ones do you recommend? 

I have found some threads already but they rarely contained any info of the book, just titles. So please tell me about it. 

It's a plus if it's avalible on libgen cause I am broke and these books aren't to be found in the Swedish libraries. 

The ones already on my list to be read: 

Wintergirls
Girl Interrupted 
Pointe 
Sad Perfect
Wasted, A memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia
How I live Now

I'm basically only here when I've relapsed and gained 5kg or more. 

Losing from a 30+ bmi. 

Current accountability thread where I'm betting money on loosing weight HERE

Ed insta: mypaspace

5c4b466f59edb4ef60ec1851a93907ea

If you’re really fat, you have a lot of skin so you are really skinny. 

#2 Neverland_

Neverland_

Never grow up

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13269 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 28 September 2020 - 02:55 AM

I just finished 'Elena, vanishing' a memoir. It was great. It portraits anorexia as it is. No glamorizing things, not even recovery. It's about learning to live with the ed. it was really great.

175cm/5'9

A c c o u n t a b i l i t y

https://www.myproana...-l-i-t-y-175cm/

B o d y  C h e c k s

https://www.myproana...-591kg-gw-47kg/

#3 Really-Worried

Really-Worried

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 12:04 PM

My second favorite is "zoe letting go", if only because it's generally a very entertaining book. It's very much like wintergirls mixed with "the secret garden". I would recommend 10/10

#4 howfuckingungodly

howfuckingungodly

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Locationin my bathtub probably

Posted 13 October 2020 - 03:02 PM

I kind of like "paperweight." it's rather cheesy but there's some raw emotion that breaks me down

• simplystarved likes this

Spoiler

“Don't let the cereal eat you. It's only a fucking box of cereal, but it will eat you alive if you let it.”

tumblr_p3fq7kebs31wfve82o1_400.jpg

Spoiler

#5 laurag98

laurag98

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 05:47 PM

If your looking for an ED book that really gets it right check out Changing Ways by Julia Tannenbaum. It's based on the authors own struggles with anorexia and is just really good and relatable.

#6 Boldfish

Boldfish

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:54 AM

Her Perfect!!!!
Spoliers below:
Protagonist doesnt stay sick for the whole book, so it is pro-recovery. It was lifelike and ideal fantasy, though. Teacher/18 year old student romance. TW because of shitty family dynamics. It was such a good book though, i was close to tears by the end
  • Anarkissed likes this

cocaine

Spoiler

#7 Anarkissed

Anarkissed

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSitting on a Porcelain Throne

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:41 PM

Her Perfect!!!!
Spoliers below:
Protagonist doesnt stay sick for the whole book, so it is pro-recovery. It was lifelike and ideal fantasy, though. Teacher/18 year old student romance. TW because of shitty family dynamics. It was such a good book though, i was close to tears by the end

That sounds so good except for the student/teacher thing (was that a major plot point/focus??). I might still read it though!

• Boldfish likes this

Grief is the price we pay for love.
                                                                                                         giphy.gif
                                                                                                                                                       5'5"
                                                                                                                                                       28
                                                                                                                                                  EDNOS

175 160 150 140 130 125 120 115 110 100
                                                                                                                                                (CW:
138)

Restriction Phase           

#8 Ketorexicbabe

Ketorexicbabe

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:08 PM

Check out Nikki graham books !!! She was on big brother and her case is so extreme but my favorite is living fulL Danielle Sherman-Lazar

#9 Boldfish

Boldfish

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:02 PM

That sounds so good except for the student/teacher thing (was that a major plot point/focus??). I might still read it though!

Its a major aspect, there is romance and sex, but its not the main focus. Their romance and how it helps her family situation is basically the main plot, but the fact they started as student/teacher isnt the big point, if that makes sense

cocaine

Spoiler

#10 blurryflower

blurryflower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationScandinavia

Posted 23 November 2020 - 05:39 PM

några svenska titlar som kanske intresserar? 

- "Zebraflickan" av Sofia Åkerman (Artonåriga Sofia kämpar för att komma ur sin självdestruktivitet som drivits så långt att läkarna nästan givit upp hoppet om henne. Om skam, ångest och om rädslan för att bli frisk och bortglömd men även om hopp och den lycka hon upplever när allt vänder.) 

- "Som Zlatan fast bättre" av Niclas Christoffer (Kille kommer in på fotbollsinriktad skola, går ner lite i vikt för att prestera bättre men blir ist sjuk i ätstörningar)

- "Vissa föddes perfekta och andra som jag" av Anna Johansson (Karoline har nyss avslutat gymnasiet. Det har tagit slut med pojkvännen och hon ger sig ut på en tågresa genom Europa. Hon pendlar mellan nyfikenhet på livet och ett självförakt som leder till självutplåning.)

- "I himlen får jag äta" av Camilla Dahlberg (17-åriga Lisa lider av anorexia nervosa. För att bli frisk måste hon lära sig att urskilja och kämpa emot det sjuka i sitt levnadsmönster. Camilla Dahlberg skriver utifrån egna erfarenheter. "Varje dag var ett krig. Jag kämpade ensam mot en hel rad av fiender. Hela min värld bestod av mat, vikt och kamp mot allt och alla som vill tvinga mig att äta." Lisa beskriver hur hon är fånge. Hur hon tvingas göra den mest avskyvärda av alla handlingar: ÄTA!)

- "De kallade mig Ise" av Madeleine Krell (Erla är sexton år och får chansen att provspela i ett lag i allsvenskan. Hon kräver mycket av sig själv på träningar och träningsmatcher och äter allt mindre. Efter en tid kommer tröttheten. Tjejerna i laget börjar undra hur det står till med henne.

• Pablo in Argentina and Morvern like this

#11 Gheyn

Gheyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 08:55 AM

unbearable lightness: a story of loss and gain by portia de rossi

#12 snork

snork

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1928 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 05:01 PM

Wasted is 10/10, my favorite ED book

Other good ones I own are

Stick Figure: A Dairy of My Former Self

Excerpts of the authors diary from when she was struggling with her eating disorder in the late 70s. Fascinating stuff and I found it very relatable.

Believarexic

Another diary book, this time recounting the author's experience in IP. Another big favorite of mine, and the PDF is free on the authors website

Skin (Adrienne Maria Vrettos)

From the POV of the anorexics younger brother watching his sister succumb to anorexia. Made me cry so hard.

The Passion of Alice

A bit verbose. I bought it not knowing what it was about but I dont regret it. The story is about an anorexic in IP who meets a bulimic that she begins to fall in love with. It's a very tragic story that, in my opinion, ends very sadly. Theres a very... lengthy sex scene, and some assault, so if that isnt your thing I'd give this one a skip. But hey! Theres lesbians! And lesbians are rad. Also of english isnt your first language, this one may take longer. It's pretty high falutin.

The Art of Starving

This book follows a teenage Jewish boy who developing anorexia alongside his struggling with his sexuality. Its SO GOOD.

Anti recommendation, though? The secret language of eating disorders. The author is SO FULL OF HERSELF and acts like she knows everything about EDs despite never having one

Sent from my bathroom floor while using Tapatalk

"𝗜 𝘄𝗮𝗻𝘁 𝘁𝗼 𝗳𝗲𝗲𝗹 𝗺𝘆 𝗯𝗼𝗻𝗲𝘀 𝗼𝗻 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗯𝗼𝗻𝗲𝘀͵𝗯𝗮𝗯𝘆
𝗜 𝗮𝗺 𝗮 𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻𝗮𝗴𝗲 𝗱𝗿𝗮𝗺𝗮 𝗾𝘂𝗲𝗲𝗻
𝗜 𝘁𝗵𝗿𝗼𝘄 𝗺𝘆 𝗴𝘂𝘁𝘀 𝘂𝗽 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘀𝗲𝗹𝗳⎯𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗺
𝗜𝘁 𝗵𝗮𝘂𝗻𝘁𝘀 𝗺𝘆 𝗱𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗺𝘀
𝗜𝘁 𝗵𝗮𝘂𝗻𝘁𝘀 𝗺𝘆 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆 𝗱𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗺
𝗘𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆 𝗯𝗼𝘆 𝘄𝗮𝗻𝘁𝘀 𝗮 𝗯𝗼𝗱𝘆 𝘁𝗼 𝗱𝗶𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿
𝗔𝗻𝗱 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆 𝗴𝗶𝗿𝗹 𝘄𝗵𝗼ʹ𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻 𝗶𝘀 𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗿𝗶𝘃𝗮𝗹" 
 ( He / Him pronouns)

ED Playlist

snermk3

0 user(s) are reading this topic