have you ever alternated between OMAD and 16:8 IF? (high restriction) - Diet Results - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

have you ever alternated between OMAD and 16:8 IF? (high restriction)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wasteless

wasteless

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationTime

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:08 PM

i have been doing OMAD 700-1000 cals a day (plus a coffee with coconut cream in the AM) this last week, but yesterday and today all i could think about is food so i decided to switch to 16:8 until i'm over that and go back to OMAD. i went from 136 to 130 in a week so i'm pretty hopeful and don't wanna fuck up.

has anyone had experience doing this longer term?
strength

#2 EllaTheElephant

EllaTheElephant

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2305 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 17 September 2020 - 01:05 PM

I do IF 16:8 or 18:6 on most working days, and on non working days I usually do OMAD, I’ve been doing that since June combined with restriction and it works well for me with weight loss, binge urges, avoiding suspicion at work, and just generally my lifestyle
  • getsmall likes this

#3 pickles312

pickles312

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3698 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 03 October 2020 - 09:40 AM

I gain weight with 16:8. But tbh it’s because I eat too many calories during my eating window. Try the 18:6 and be careful not to overeat and I’d bet you’ll be able to lose weight.

#4 Diet Tea

Diet Tea

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 10:02 AM

I gain weight on OMAD/IF. I know that's common in the beginning while your hunger recalibrates or whatever, but when I'm still gaining after 6 weeks, it's time for a new plan. IF isn't for me.

5'2"
hw: 145 lbs.

lw: 99.8 lbs.

cw: 104 lbs.

gw1: 105 lbs.

gw2: 103 lbs.

ugw: 101 lbs.

#5 anablue937

anablue937

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 10 October 2020 - 03:44 PM

I've had great results with IF and OMAD. I allow one meal a day, between 700-1000 calories and my eating window is 7pm-10pm regularly. I've been doing this since Tuesday 9/8 and have lost 10lbs. I exercise 2-3x a week, moderate not high intensity. But thats just what works for me. *shrug*

Progressing through my own perfectly imperfect journey since 2004...

5'5 | HW: 140 | LW: 113 | SW: 132 | CW: 118

GW1: 127 | GW2: 123 | GW3: 120 | GW4: 117 | GW5: 114 | UGW: 110

#6 yuples1

yuples1

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 04:16 PM

i did this. i ate one meal a day like all of june without even knowing i was doing it. then i tried doing 16:8 july but it wasn’t as easy since i was always feeling guilty for eating bad a lot during the 8 hr period, than eating only one meal. beginning of august i started tracking calories and i think it’s because i couldn’t do either of the diets anymore. now i am consistently worrying about calories.

#7 chocolatewaif

chocolatewaif

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4583 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 08:59 PM

I'm very accustomed to IF, I've been doing it since 2018. It's pretty much habit now. I've been considering trying to get on a more "normal" eating schedule but I've found it extremely challenging. 16/8 is average for me and getting into swing with that again is my attempt at making my diet more healthy and normal. But I consider pretty much anything between 12 and 24 hours within my regular routine. Of course the ED side of me is a fan of the fasting aspect and manipulating my eating times. 

Today I fasted 20-hours until 3 p.m. just cause. Then ate 1,000 calories worth of popcorn, lol. Then I haven't eaten since 4 p.m. and I don't plan on eating until tomorrow. 

My preferred fasting schedule is 12 p.m. to 8 p.m., but I may tweak it depending on when I started my fast. Like yesterday I opened my window at 12 p.m. but I finished eating at 7 p.m. I didn't want anything else so I started there. That put me at 11 a.m. for 16 hours. I'd planned to just stretch to 12 p.m. to keep my window but then I got busy and when I turned around it'd just passed 2 p.m. so I stretched to 3 p.m. to make it an even 20-hours.

Because I closed at 4 p.m. today I can go 20-hours to get back to my usual 12 p.m. breaking time but 4 p.m. for a full 24-hours does seem super tempting, lol. i

I do feel the clincher about IF is that it just gives you less time to get your food in so you don't eat as much overall, but when you think about it that's just the general concept of weight loss overall. Even "healthy" weight loss diets advocate some sort of curbing your eating time. Stop eating by 6 or 7 p.m. and such. If you eat breakfast at 8 a.m. and finish eating at 6 p.m. that gives you a 14/10 time frame which is also technically considered IF. People say its so your body can be finished or almost finished digesting your meal by the time you go to sleep do the body can focus on other things like burn fat and heal your cells etc. And that is the exact explanation behind IF.

I don't think it's any kind of magical cure-all, but I do think it is a pretty decent method of keeping yourself accountable. 

For that reason I really do think of IF more as a lifestyle than just a weight loss diet because personally I'd still want to do it in some form even if I wasn't trying to lose weight, and it's what I continue to come back naturally when I want to get back on track with weight loss or just getting myself straight. Even if I wasn't doing staunch IF I'd likely be doing some form of not-eating periods to keep my weight down.  

I wanna be special. So fucking special.

Height: 5'5"

Current: 121.5 | Start: 142 | Goal: 120 Ultimate: 110

#8 a good sniff

a good sniff

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1174 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 22 December 2020 - 03:53 AM

IF worked wonders for me (16:8 though i will cut the eating window short it if i feel like it). I lose weight quite fast if I behave lol. What I loved about IF as well is the nearly constant  feeling of emptiness + a flat stomach for the large majority of the day. Satisfied me so much.

OMAD would never work for me, I'd get too hungry and for me that's a recipe for a binge fiasco. After 2+ years of being purge free, I'm really adamant about sticking to that. Plus I'm always with someone - either my family, my boyfriend or his. they would notice in no time, I'm a terrible liar..

#9 DisparateDelusion

DisparateDelusion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 07:16 PM

IF worked wonders for me (16:8 though i will cut the eating window short it if i feel like it). I lose weight quite fast if I behave lol. What I loved about IF as well is the nearly constant  feeling of emptiness + a flat stomach for the large majority of the day. Satisfied me so much.

OMAD would never work for me, I'd get too hungry and for me that's a recipe for a binge fiasco. After 2+ years of being purge free, I'm really adamant about sticking to that. Plus I'm always with someone - either my family, my boyfriend or his. they would notice in no time, I'm a terrible liar..

May I ask how many calories you have in your eating window? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users