"temporary" ano/orthorexia? - Starting at a higher BMI - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

"temporary" ano/orthorexia?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Apostleofhygieia

Apostleofhygieia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:17 AM

hi everyone.

this is my first post, and i was wondering if anyone on this forum has similar motivations to my own for making an account here--i've put on about 7-8 lbs over the several months i've been in social isolation/quarantine, and want to drop about 35 lbs by mid-January.

i'm now borderline overweight (5'4", 144.1 lbs), though i carry it well. my lowest weight in recent memory was 113 when i was 18 years old (i'm now 22), so i would like to very quickly shed some fat until i get around halfway to my goal weight (109) without compromising my health. i just bought a bike and have started fasting intermittently, but i'm looking for some methods to get down at least to 128 by the beginning of november.

i hope this doesn't come off as insensitive to those currently struggling with eating disorders--i live in a toxic household where i feel my appearance is constantly under scrutiny, so i would like to be my normal jean size quickly to save me some emotional turmoil.

Attached Files

h: 5'3.75"

❁❁ SW: 146.6 ❁❁

CW: --

GW: 144

GW" 142

GW: 140

GW: 138

GW:136

GW:134

GW: 132

GW:130

GW: 128

GW: 126

GW: 124

GW: 122

GW: 120

GW: 118

GW: 116

GW: 114

GW: 112

GW: 110

-

GW: 108

-

✽ { UGW: 106 } ✽

#2 another_blue

another_blue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:56 AM

ok first of all, youre gorgeous!!!

second. I dont think asking disordered people how to lose weight is in any way healthy, and i can almost guarantee that going down the ana road will lead to more struggle and turmoil than youre already feeling. Try to lose weight slowly and in a healthy way, you wont regret it. I know its hard, but please stay out while you can. dont get sucked down the rabbit hole. stay safe x

• Ym96, Abbey84, anagelic ♡ and 1 other like this

✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ 

Spoiler

#3 cheshire_kitten

cheshire_kitten

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 01:00 AM

I agree - you look stunning!

If you want to lose weight, don't go down the anorexia route. There is no such thing as temporary anorexia. Once you got it, you got it and it will ruin your life, your relationship with food and your family. You can not simply stop and return to "normal" eating behaviour - that is the whole deal with anorexia. And it WILL impact your health. Anorexia isn't a diet. It's an illness and could kill you in the end.

If you want to drop a few pounds, IF sounds like a good start. :) Calculate your TDEE and constantly eat 300-500kcl below it and you'll be fine in no time AND hopefully still be able to stop and enjoy life. 

All the best to you!

• another_blue, Satori666 and Sakura_ like this

#4 Soulina

Soulina

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:41 PM

I have had ED over 15 years, there is nothing temporary about ED´s. Anorexia is not about losing weight fast it is mental disorder with the highest mortality rate of all mental disorders and it does not make losing weight any easier. People I know have died from this. It is like asking a temprory drug addiction to lose weight, it is about as healthy and beating the drug addiction was way easier to than ED which I obviously have not being able to do.

Do it slow, do it the healthy way.

• cheshire_kitten likes this

-No-one gets to Heaven

Till they've lived a while in Hell

And even then it's rare

That you'll be going there-

Height 5'2 / 159 cm

• HW:194lbs (88kg) (May 15th 2020)
  • CW:167,8lbs (76,1kg)
  • GW1:165lbs (75kg)
  • GW2:154lbs(70kg)
  • GW3:136lbs (62kg)
  • UGW:99.5lbs (45kg)

#5 FluffySpecimen

FluffySpecimen

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Locationin bed

Posted 15 September 2020 - 02:38 PM

You can't just choose when to turn on or off a disorder - there's nothing temporary about it. Lol and having an ED doesn't necessarily mean being successful at losing weight either. 

Anyway, the biggest thing though is calories: you want to eat at a deficit of your maintenance (calculator: https://tdeecalculator.net/). They recommend -500 calories to safely lose approx 1lb a week or -1000cal for 2lbs/week. Anything lower can cause you to lose muscles and just become skinny fat which isn't a great look - it can also lead to uncontrollable binges which is not a fun place to be. 

In all honesty though, there really is no quick and easy solution. Everybody knows how to lose weight; eat less, exercise more, choose healthier foods, etc. It's just a matter of sticking to the diet plan that creates success. I'd stick with intermittent fasting, as you are doing right now - I was able to lose about 10lbs in a month or so with 16:8 alone, zero calorie counting. 

• Apostleofhygieia likes this

Height: 5'2"

SW: 176

LW: 120

CW: 137.6

176, 175, 174, 173, 172, 171, 170, 169, 168, 167, 166, 165, 164, 163, 162, 161, 160, 159, 158, 157, 156, 155, 154, 153, 152, 151, 150, 149, 148, 147, 146, 145, 144, 143, 142, 141, 140, 139, 138, 137, 136, 135, 134, 133, 132, 131, 130, 129, 128, 127, 126, 125

accountability

#6 Hilli_Big

Hilli_Big

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 12:55 AM

Additionally to what has been said above I want to emphasise, that having an eating disorder dosn't make losing weight any easier! Those patients don't do anything different than the rest of the world: Eat less, excercise more. Burn more calories than you eat. They love food as much as everybody does. They are as hungry as everybody is when they don't eat. And they are as exhausted as everybody is after excercising. You may only see those patients in the media that are very deep into their illness, who are extremly thin and for whom it seems more easy not to eat than to eat. But even for them there where times before that state where they had to use all their willpower to lose weight. And they are not the average patient! There are lots oft patients who never geht that far and therefor are not presented in the media. But they suffer as much as the ones at the brink of death. In your perception you might consider them as "failed" anorexics. But they are only not as cliche as we see this illness in the media.

Do as suggested: Calculate your TDEE, count the calories of your food and create a difference of around 500 calories every day. Either by eating less or by burning more through excercise and general activity. Patients with eating disorders don't have any magic trick either except their incredibly low self-esteem, the feeling of not deserving food, guilt and compulsive thoughts, the desire for self-harm and lots of fear and depression.
  • Soulina and cheshire_kitten like this

#7 Soulina

Soulina

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 01:47 AM

Additionally to what has been said above I want to emphasise, that having an eating disorder dosn't make losing weight any easier! Those patients don't do anything different than the rest of the world: Eat less, excercise more. Burn more calories than you eat. They love food as much as everybody does. They are as hungry as everybody is when they don't eat. And they are as exhausted as everybody is after excercising. You may only see those patients in the media that are very deep into their illness, who are extremly thin and for whom it seems more easy not to eat than to eat. But even for them there where times before that state where they had to use all their willpower to lose weight. And they are not the average patient! There are lots oft patients who never geht that far and therefor are not presented in the media. But they suffer as much as the ones at the brink of death. In your perception you might consider them as "failed" anorexics. But they are only not as cliche as we see this illness in the media.

Do as suggested: Calculate your TDEE, count the calories of your food and create a difference of around 500 calories every day. Either by eating less or by burning more through excercise and general activity. Patients with eating disorders don't have any magic trick either except their incredibly low self-esteem, the feeling of not deserving food, guilt and compulsive thoughts, the desire for self-harm and lots of fear and depression.

There are eating disorders that will stop you from feeling the hunger and make you not like food, but they are not something you want to have either. Also I do not know if you could even get these by willing? They normally start as a side-effect of something else. Trauma etc. But inablity to eat will isolate you from so much of social events that you just do not want to even go anymore.

Also if you step on the road of ED´s it is not like you get to choose which one sounds the best for you. Anorexia or Bulimia or even BED are not that different in the end, it is messedup relationship with food and distorted bodyimage. Nothing will never be enough and it is a constantstrugle.

• Hilli_Big likes this

-No-one gets to Heaven

Till they've lived a while in Hell

And even then it's rare

That you'll be going there-

Height 5'2 / 159 cm

• HW:194lbs (88kg) (May 15th 2020)
  • CW:167,8lbs (76,1kg)
  • GW1:165lbs (75kg)
  • GW2:154lbs(70kg)
  • GW3:136lbs (62kg)
  • UGW:99.5lbs (45kg)