Food Documentary Reviews - Food - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Food Documentary Reviews

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ♔ king

♔ king

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3977 posts
  • Locationin the actual fridge

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:46 PM

Hey, y'all. I wanted a thread to write reviews for food documentaries, whether good or bad. I find it so fascinating learning about the different industries. I am in the US, so that is what I base my reviews off of, but many docs have information that is cross-cultural. And feel free to add your own opinions or ask about a doc. I might be slow to add, but I've seen quite a few of them.

Scale:

1-2 Bad

3-4 Okay

5-6 Average

7-8 Pretty good

9-10 Oh wow!

What you eat in private you wear in publictumblr_inline_p7gikc54Hz1s6uj4o_75sq.gif diet accountability | food documentary reviews | getting in shape

#2 ♔ king

♔ king

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3977 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:54 PM

What_the_Health_cover_art.jpg

What the Health (2017)

Available: Youtube

I thought this documentary had a mysterious foreboding feel to it. It talks about heart health risks and rising issues like obesity. When I first watched it (probably on Netflix way back), I was so mystified learning about this meat industry with all these secrets. Being wiser, I look at it like "Meh." It's a doc that had a lot of build-up but not necessarily a lot of solutions, and comes across fairly pro-vegan. Still, it's a good place for most to start thinking about how the health care and food industry are ugly bed-fellows, especially for many beginners.

My rating: 6.5/10

• Starvingrussiangirl likes this

What you eat in private you wear in publictumblr_inline_p7gikc54Hz1s6uj4o_75sq.gif diet accountability | food documentary reviews | getting in shape

#3 ♔ king

♔ king

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3977 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 05:05 PM

Super_Size_Me_Poster.jpg

Super Size Me (2004)

The doc follows a man on a journey to eat as much McDonald's as possible and then grow surprised when he gains a fuck-ton of weight. Needless to say, it was entertaining to watch, lol. I've never liked mukbangs but there's something about a self-proclaimed smartie going on an obviously bad experiment that had me see this to the end. He "shows" how McDonald's contributes to the obesity epidemic. I didn't like this documentary after thinking about it because it felt extreme, and it relied on those extremes to prove its point. Most people I know, fat or not, are not eating McDonald's 5 times a week for three. In all fairness, it is an old doc now and super-size isn't even an option in the US anymore. So... most people likely aren't taking it as gospel.

My rating: 5.5/10, lol it is watchable and makes you think, but seeing him scarf all that down was oof.

Naturally, I must add the counter documentary to Super-size me!

fatheadgraphic.jpg

Fat Head (2009)

I really enjoyed this documentary. It was a little triggering with all the calorie counting he does, and it is hard to cross-compare unless you are a six foot forgot tall bro. However, the guy is clearly an accountant in his approach to looking at statistics. I like how he points out how research and big claims can be unreliable and far from the truth. He shows the 2009 climate in a way that makes us understand how we got there rather than scaring us. Plus, it's always fun to watch people lose weight. I can see why some might not like the old Windows XP feel of the documentary, though.

My rating: 8.0/10

#4 ♔ king

♔ king

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3977 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 05:16 PM

forks-over-knives.jpg

Forks over Knives (2011)

Not on US Netflix anymore. I would just find it for free online, but here is trailer anyway.

This had a nice feel to it. A good way to learn about health for people who like a soft approach. Honestly, I got tired of meat industry docs over time because there is but so much sadness and guilt a person can feel, and that feling isn't permanent. Positive reinforcement works better, I think, and this doc showed a lot of the benefits to switching to whole food plant based diets rather than saying, "You're bad." I like broccoli as much as anyone, but vegan docs tend to shove it down your throat.

My rating: 8.5/10

#5 ♔ king

♔ king

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3977 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 05:29 PM

71lUsudnL7L._SX300_.jpg

In Defense of Food (2015)

Available: Okay, this shit is actually hard to find. I think PBS has all the licenses for it, but I had found it online for free somewhere as a flipped video. I had to watch it with a screen-mirror add-on from chrome, lmao. Can't say I'm not dedicated.

This is by far one of my favorite food docs. I would recommend this to old people or anyone that needs a refresher on healthy eating and caring about what goes into our bodies. The main narrator, some adorbs old man, makes it his purpose to give simple tips for eating that anyone can follow. "Eat [real] food. Not too much. Mostly plants." He talks about some wide studies, but his focus is mostly on people. And it has a feel-good way of showing how his simple rules can help normal patients to get better. 

My rating: 9.0/10

FYI: He also has a docuseries on Netflix now called Cooked which I started. And the more "industry" busting doc of his is called Food, inc. I'm not sure if I finished it.

• PrettyAbs likes this

#6 catgomeow

catgomeow

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5709 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:53 AM

following!
  • ♔ king likes this
Visit my food folder! giphy.gifStats:
Spoiler
Social medias:
Spoiler

#7 ♔ king

♔ king

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3977 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 06:34 AM

Fat%2C_Sick_and_Nearly_Dead_%28film%29.j

Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead (2010)

Available: on youtube

This was so fun to watch. I don't know what it is about people losing weight and getting their lives together that just feels good. In this doc, a man not-from-the-US journeys across the US on a juice fast! He is Australian and I assure you the video is not upside down. It also follows a few other people he comes into contact with who do their own fasts. It's a really straight forward end-goal kind of documentary filled with discussion on food and health via the many people he meets travelling. I thought it was funny watching people's faces change when he said he was juice fasting, hahah.

My rating: 8.0/10

I also didn't realize this doc has a part 2. I'll add it to the to-watch list.

• Princessporcelainthrone likes this

#8 ♔ king

♔ king

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3977 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 06:49 AM

61agoiryryl-_ri_.jpg

The Invisible Vegan (2019)

Available on: US Prime Video and Tubi (whatever tf that is)

A very conversational documentary on veganism and its relation to blackness. I think most people from a traditional background can relate to it, though. The doc takes different points of view on why eating plant-based can be hard for black communities. It's good to watch if you're in the US especially because politics really isn't that twitter clownery. Political knowledge starts with simply educating yourself about all people. It's nice how they break the notion of veganism being a trendy 'white' thing. Really, a lot of cultures eat plant based on every continent so it kind of shows how much we actually have in common.

My rating: 8.5/10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users