How come models don’t look sick - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

How come models don’t look sick

Weight loss Models Healthy

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LittlePaperWings

LittlePaperWings

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:43 PM

So many underweight models out there have thick, shiny hair
Bright eyes, and glowy skin, they don’t look gaunt in the face
They just look so girls next doory
I know they eat very healthily and have micro nutrients and nutritionally dense foods, but I’ve seen some what I eat in a day videos and I just can’t imagine it’s enough to keep looking healthy? Could it be that they eat a lot more but just hardcore exercise and burn it off so their bodies still have vitamins to play with

Cause years of an ED has destroyed my hair, it’s thin and brittle
I look transparent and sunken
The cartilage in my knees disintegrated
Like what the fuck and I’m not even underweight
(And I took supplements and ate lots of veggies and salads so wtf)
tenor.gif?itemid=11257212

HW: 164 lbs
LW: 115 lbs
GW: 110 lbs

#2 bony ballerina

bony ballerina

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3720 posts
  • Locationmaryland / new orleans

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:45 PM

i don't look very sick until i'm extremely underweight so it could just be that they're lucky. or photoshopped.

plus at the end of the day, most models got into their careers because they're already naturally rather thin, so they might not actually be as "sick" as people would assume.

Xbilcd.gif

"i am the bones they want, wired on a porcelain frame."

my accountability

cw: 120.7 (as of july. fuck) | cbmi: 20.1 | lw: 81 | gw: 85

131 130 129 128 127 126 125 124 123 122 121 120 119 118 117 116 115 114 113 112 111 110 109 108 107 106 105 104 103 102 101 100 99 98 97 96 95 94 93 92 91 90 89 88 87 86 85

#3 Tater Thot

Tater Thot

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3701 posts
  • Locationur mom

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:45 PM

money and editing.

• audreylove, dancinggirl, LazyLimbo and 1 other like this

f53e90f17ad01d2052c74d417a6266eb.gif

#4 KillusionofControl

KillusionofControl

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • LocationIn the forest with Jason

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:52 PM

money. at least the big ones. And yes editing. I have a friend who was a model for some semi-big things and they could smooth her skin like nothing else without making it look like plastic like those shitty photoshop jobs in ads. they can also afford to prioritize their body so they can do as much exercise as they need for the desired results and revolve their whole day around food so they have everything under perfect control. 

also it is CRAZY how few models hair is 100% theirs. its usually extensions if not straight up wigs

• audreylove, peach dreams, jinnieglows and 1 other like this

Diagnosed AN in 2015

Height: 5'6"

CW: 108

HW: 127

LW: 93

GW: 103

"They're all gonna laugh at you!"

#5 Kermitleggs

Kermitleggs

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1326 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:57 PM

"Magic"
Professional make-up artists
Top quality products
Photo shop
You know..."magic"
FB IMG 1590415134584

New accountability 
https://www.myproana...-my-vent-space/

And this is why I'm not skinny anymore:

https://www.myproana...9069-food-dump/

#6 Kermitleggs

Kermitleggs

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1326 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:58 PM

Also cocaine??
FB IMG 1590415134584

New accountability 
https://www.myproana...-my-vent-space/

And this is why I'm not skinny anymore:

https://www.myproana...9069-food-dump/

#7 rabbitwhore889

rabbitwhore889

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:36 PM

Not a model or anything, but just some guesses:
-makeup, of course
-editing
-ensuring that their vitamin & mineral needs are always met (likely with supplements) - note that being underweight and being malnourished are not the same. People at a healthy weight can be malnourished (adequate calories but poor nutrition, like living off ramen for an extended period) and people who are underweight can be meeting their nutritional needs, the only difference is the calories consumed. In theory, someone who is underweight and not getting enough calories can still be fairly healthy for a period of time if their nutritional and mineral needs are met, until the lack of body fat becomes an issue since the body will then go to muscles and bones for energy
-weight training and refeeding the bare minimum if at all. This may improve their appearance as so to avoid the skin and bones look
-keeping focus on protein intake as to avoid/slow the process of their muscles deteriorating
-eating a little extra every once in awhile (maybe up to maintenance cals?) To further refuel, dunno if they burn it off to land a deficit still though

Even if supplements are involved, the models that high restrict and exercise it off are much more likely to have more desirable results and less side effects than models that low restrict because even if the calories are burned off, the extra macros/nutrition/minerals can still be put to maintaining bodily "privalages" like good skin, hair and nails without having to panic about where the next meal is coming from. Your body knows it is eating well, and that you're getting all the nutrition you need (and possibly more), so it makes sense that it would freak out less even if you are still working out a decent amount. Weight lifting burns much less calories than cardio, so i guess it also depends on the kinds of exercise.

Sorry if my typing is incoherent, its 4:30am and I have hella brain fog 😂😭

#8 witheringweed

witheringweed

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:52 PM

editing and makeup probably help, but also good skincare, supplements and nutritionists keeping things in check.. weight training/exercise + possibly high restriction with nutritious high protein food?? idk how else they could keep their energy levels up, modeling is an active ass job 

#9 pieeyedpisces

pieeyedpisces

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Locationprobably hell

Posted 18 September 2020 - 12:04 PM

if their look is selling (considering how particular the industry is) they’ll be eating maintenance calories at the very least. since models tend to be that (underweight) slim-fit type eating at a deficit would mean losing muscle which would be counterproductive. that combined with cardio plus yoga/some weight training, paying for high quality nutritious food and supplements, rigorous skincare, ect.

there is no one else left in wide Troy who is gentle or kind to me. they all shudder at me.
like a shadow, i am and i am not.

weight.png

#10 stkitty

stkitty

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 12:07 PM

Makeup + whatnot?

They're not that underweight for the most part I think? Like Anreja Peijic has a BMI of 19 from what I read.

#11 mariamadalena

mariamadalena

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 18 September 2020 - 12:16 PM

idk. but model Sora Choi has been really open about starving herself. she looks like a godess tho.

“A lot of people have asked me, ‘How do you diet?’ If I were to tell you the truth, my height and weight are 179cm and 47 kg. (I try and lose weight in a really extreme way. I’m not sure how other models diet.) During Fashion Week, I truly don’t even eat one meal. When Fashion Week is open, it goes on for over 4 weeks. So for 4 weeks, I only drink water. If I’m really struggling then I’ll eat half a banana.”

“I know that if I lose weight like this, it’s detrimental to my health. An extreme diet is definitely bad for your health. During Fashion Week, my immunity becomes weak, and I get red dots all over my body. My skin also becomes really dry. I also get stress-induced intestinal inflammation, and I have a lot of cuts inside my mouth. I don’t have any energy either. I faint all the time.”
  • Provacado, Caughtunaware and Faultea like this
giphy.gif

giphy.gify

#12 Caughtunaware

Caughtunaware

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationEarth, I think ?

Posted 18 September 2020 - 12:19 PM

idk. but model Sora Choi has been really open about starving herself. she looks like a godess tho.

“A lot of people have asked me, ‘How do you diet?’ If I were to tell you the truth, my height and weight are 179cm and 47 kg. (I try and lose weight in a really extreme way. I’m not sure how other models diet.) During Fashion Week, I truly don’t even eat one meal. When Fashion Week is open, it goes on for over 4 weeks. So for 4 weeks, I only drink water. If I’m really struggling then I’ll eat half a banana.”

“I know that if I lose weight like this, it’s detrimental to my health. An extreme diet is definitely bad for your health. During Fashion Week, my immunity becomes weak, and I get red dots all over my body. My skin also becomes really dry. I also get stress-induced intestinal inflammation, and I have a lot of cuts inside my mouth. I don’t have any energy either. I faint all the time.”

That’s sad as hell I never knew this, she’s one of my favorite models I love her body makes me feel about it now tho.

18 / Vegan 🌱
5’7 or 171 172cm
HW - 140lb
CW - 136lb
GW - 120lb
GW 2 - 115lb
UGW - 110lb (hopefully I stop there)
LW - 88lb (At 14 so no)

#13 BrutalKitten

BrutalKitten

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 18 September 2020 - 12:25 PM

I think that a lot of it depends on genetics. Also, unlike anorexics, models don't starve themselves all the time. They just go on crash diets for a few days/weeks to lose weight and get into shape before a fashion event. And most of them aren't even severely underweight. Models usually have a bmi of 17-19 which won't make you look sick.
"Crave the machine, revere the screen
Zoom in for flak and misery
Bleed some pixels
Shoot yourself, pose for the dead
Have a near-life experience In a hot air matrix
Now you're a star, vain avatar
Feeding the beast, in your loud Egoland
You have become tool of a tool
Digital ghouls telling you to shut up and dance!"

- Noise, Nightwish

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Weight loss, Models, Healthy

0 user(s) are reading this topic