Tips for becoming plant-based? - Vegetarian/Vegan/Raw Food Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Tips for becoming plant-based?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 GrilledChocolate

GrilledChocolate

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 02:37 PM

Helllo everyone,

I really want to start eating plant-based, but my binges always include foods made with animal products. 

I started a be-plant-based-challenge one week ago, but the binges kicked in two days ago so that kind of failed. I really do want to eat plant-based mainly due to health- and environmental reasons, though. Does anyone have tips how to make it easier for myself to eat plant-based? For example, how to motivate myself, what to binge on if I really can't stop the urge...

~ I am strong ~

~ I have perseverance ~

~ I am determined ~

~ I am in control ~

#2 sectum.sempra

sectum.sempra

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationHogsmeade

Posted 19 September 2020 - 02:40 PM

I became a vegetarian only because every type of meat grossed me out sooo much (along with eggs). So maybe try that? Like you can watch how mcdonalds is actually made, how gross that is and make that your general idea of foods with animal products? 

#3 Tater Thot

Tater Thot

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3722 posts
  • Locationur mom

Posted 19 September 2020 - 02:52 PM

keep only plant based foods in the house. also, lots of things are vegan including a lot of junk

YqVldds.gif

ugw:100

hw:130.2

lw:107.8

#4 broken_butterfly_xx

broken_butterfly_xx

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1902 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 04:41 PM

Helllo everyone,
I really want to start eating plant-based, but my binges always include foods made with animal products.
I started a be-plant-based-challenge one week ago, but the binges kicked in two days ago so that kind of failed. I really do want to eat plant-based mainly due to health- and environmental reasons, though. Does anyone have tips how to make it easier for myself to eat plant-based? For example, how to motivate myself, what to binge on if I really can't stop the urge...

I found that being bulimic and vegan was very difficult and I know some also find it difficult to be vegetarian and bulimic as well.

When you’re starving your brain through this disorder your starved brain takes control over the rational part of you and to some extend you can’t really control it.

Try telling yourself that it’s not like it’s illegal for you to eat things that contain animal products. Then your brain won’t think you’re starving yourself from this specific food group and it may not crave it as much.

The black and white thinking (“I am only allowed to eat XX and I’m never allowed to eat YX”) will result in loss of control (I speak from my own experience, it’s okay if this doesn’t apply to you).
The more aware you are of “I can’t have YX” the more your starved self might want it?

It doesn’t sound like you have issues eating plant based due to motivation but rather due to having an eating disorder.
To get truly past this issue you must eat enough food and feel content with not eating animal products. I’m not saying you want to eat animal products but your brain craves the sugar and the carbs so you lose control. If you weren’t starved or if you didn’t feel starved it probably wouldn’t be an issue (?).

If you live alone though you can make sure to only buy plant based products. And I’m unsure if you’re vegetarian or vegan because you just used “plant based”.

If you’re vegan there’s still a lot of junk food you can eat of course but some of it is questionable in terms of ethics (like if you don’t want to buy stuff that contains palm oil as well). Like Oreos are “vegan” but they support cutting down palm trees that wild animals (monkeys) live in.

Do what you can for the environment within your limits. Don’t be upset with yourself and feel guilty about not doing enough. Do what you can and that will be enough and more than most. Some people don’t even give it a second thought.

Sorry if I ranted. Stay safe and good luck on your plant based journey xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Disappearing1, AmethystAna and GrilledChocolate like this

tumblr_nm8x4cxAfc1tcykw8o1_500.gif

SW: 125 lbs ( april 2017 )

CW: 123 lbs 121 lbs 118 lbs 116 lbs 114.8 lbs 101.8 (!!!) 130 againnnn

GW: 112 lbs 

UGW: 98 lbs

NEW GOAL: 120

[I am very stuck]

#5 GrilledChocolate

GrilledChocolate

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 08:20 PM

The black and white thinking (“I am only allowed to eat XX and I’m never allowed to eat YX”) will result in loss of control (I speak from my own experience, it’s okay if this doesn’t apply to you).
The more aware you are of “I can’t have YX” the more your starved self might want it?

If you live alone though you can make sure to only buy plant based products. And I’m unsure if you’re vegetarian or vegan because you just used “plant based”.

If you’re vegan there’s still a lot of junk food you can eat of course but some of it is questionable in terms of ethics (like if you don’t want to buy stuff that contains palm oil as well). Like Oreos are “vegan” but they support cutting down palm trees that wild animals (monkeys) live in.

The black and white thinking does sound very recognizable! I think I am indeed thinking restrictively about eating animal products (and junk foods in general). 
I used plant-based because I'm not focusing on clothing/cosmetics/etc yet, but I intend to be vegan :) I think I will do some research on junk foods I could try out if I am in binge mode. I also still have some non-vegan binge foods at home so I'll make sure to throw these away.

Thank you for your answers!

• broken_butterfly_xx likes this

~ I am strong ~

~ I have perseverance ~

~ I am determined ~

~ I am in control ~

#6 JadeBee

JadeBee

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 06:43 AM

If you’re having issues committing to being plant based maybe you just need a stronger why. Many people go plant based for health reasons but in my opinion that isn’t very sustainable. Many of us know that junk food isn’t healthy but we might still choose to eat it in moderation. So, even if someone recognizes that a non-plant based diet is associated with negative health outcomes, they may still eat animal products once in awhile. I’m vegan mostly for the animals. The health benefits are great but what keeps me vegan is knowing that I am helping save the planet and animals.

I would strongly suggest watching documentaries or reading about animal cruelty and industrial farming, especially the dairy and egg industries. You will think much harder about eating animal products. In the meantime, do not beat yourself up as you transition. This is HARD. Many of us were raised on animal products and it’s very ingrained in western culture. What we are doing goes against the norm, so of course it’s difficult! If you have to, just start by cutting out things one by one. I was vegetarian for two years, then I stopped eating eggs, then stopped buying dairy milk (replaced with almond), and finally cut out cheese. Take baby steps if you’re way too overwhelmed. 90% of the way there is better than 0.
  • GrilledChocolate likes this

#7 Death.grips

Death.grips

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2087 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 01:54 PM

I found that being bulimic and vegan was very difficult and I know some also find it difficult to be vegetarian and bulimic as well.

When you’re starving your brain through this disorder your starved brain takes control over the rational part of you and to some extend you can’t really control it.

Try telling yourself that it’s not like it’s illegal for you to eat things that contain animal products. Then your brain won’t think you’re starving yourself from this specific food group and it may not crave it as much.

It doesn’t sound like you have issues eating plant based due to motivation but rather due to having an eating disorder.
To get truly past this issue you must eat enough food and feel content with not eating animal products. I’m not saying you want to eat animal products but your brain craves the sugar and the carbs so you lose control. If you weren’t starved or if you didn’t feel starved it probably wouldn’t be an issue (?).

Do what you can for the environment within your limits. Don’t be upset with yourself and feel guilty about not doing enough. Do what you can and that will be enough and more than most. Some people don’t even give it a second thought.

Sorry if I ranted. Stay safe and good luck on your plant based journey xx

This was very true in my case where I would be vegan then binge and purge on food with animal products solely because that was not allowed. I became vegetarian only when I was exclusively restricting. Now that I’m slowly trying to get out of a binge purge cycle I can go back to that. I think just by simply calling myself vegan triggered me to binge and purge. Being called plant based reminds that it’s not all or nothing!

#8 Nainsi

Nainsi

Anorexic Leprechaun

• Accountability access
  • 5734 posts
  • LocationDissociating

Posted 27 September 2020 - 12:47 PM

Like someone said, keep plant based food in the house. You can still eat a lot of things that you ate before you went vegan (you know, like Oreos) and there’s even low calorie vegan ice cream. Not to mention that a lot of vegan alternatives I know are lower in calories than the actual product. I have vegan yoghurt (unsweetened) for 32cal per 100g and a whole vegan pudding for 80cal. You can cook healthier alternatives imo. Maybe watch some videos on vegans favorites and stuff and actually try and look for the cheaper stuff that still tastes good though

"Ana Save Me"

She/Her - 17 y.o

HW: 59kg

LW: 43kg

UGW: 40kg

Accountability

#9 potato bag

potato bag

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:09 PM

chickpeas, kidney beans, maple beans.. cheap, lots of protein, can't binge on them a lot

other than canned beans and veggies, B12 supplements, nutritionnal yeast on plain mashed potatoes. cucumbers. rice and sriracha. Just my two rusty cents. you got this :)

175 cm - 104 lb gw 100lb

#10 AmethystAna

AmethystAna

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4254 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 October 2020 - 10:09 PM

Be gentle with yourself. My transition was a lot of back and forth especially during binges. I am struggling now with the mindset if soon I am going to have to give this up forever again and it is leading to me eating it and bingeing on it all the time. But if I just ate normally it would be a lot more whole foods and the junk and the dairy would probably make an appearance a lot less. Eventually it went away entirely the last time and I had no desire to eat them. I don’t agree with the people who say watch the gross documentary actually and I was vegan 5 years and I think it is awful and everything but we have strong defence mechanisms that keep us from applying our discomfort to our own behaviour. Or else we would have a world of Vegans, easily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

146 145 144 143 142 141 140 139 138 137

136 135 134 133 132 131 130 129 

128 127 126 125 124 123

122 121 120 119 118 

117 116 115 114

113 112 111 

Gluten free-veg*n accountability

#11 broken_butterfly_xx

broken_butterfly_xx

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1902 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 01:29 AM

The black and white thinking does sound very recognizable! I think I am indeed thinking restrictively about eating animal products (and junk foods in general).
I used plant-based because I'm not focusing on clothing/cosmetics/etc yet, but I intend to be vegan :) I think I will do some research on junk foods I could try out if I am in binge mode. I also still have some non-vegan binge foods at home so I'll make sure to throw these away.

Thank you for your answers!

Okay that makes more sense!

Instead of throwing them out you can give them away (if you know someone who might want to eat it). If you’re embarrassed about the fact that you bought it and they know you’re trying to be vegan just tell them it was on sale, you bought it by accident or someone gave them to you and you didn’t have it in your heart to tell them you were vegan and therefor you just accepted the food.

I usually give stuff I don’t eat to my neighbor (I have accidentally bought or been gifted stuff that wasn’t vegan).

That doesn’t mean I haven’t wasted food by throwing them out. In desperate attempts to stop binging I have thrown out food before.

I hope you find a way to live that works for you and that you feel satisfied with. It’s also also okay to go on compromises during this process.
No one will give you a punishment if you eat something that isn’t vegan and you have to remember that. Don’t be ashamed of yourself if you still crave animal products.

You have to be kind towards yourself and accept you aren’t perfect (no one is, we are all flawed and that is okay). We live and we learn.

And I’m saying the last part mainly because I think I wanted someone to have told me this when I was younger and started out as a vegan and felt restricted by the rules I had laid upon myself. I think I grew a fear for non vegan foods.
Not meat but diary and eggs and honey.

If someone had told me it was okay to compromise maybe I would have been happier and not felt as confined.

I’m now trying to be vegetarian to rid myself of my last fear foods. I hate being scared of food because I no longer have bulimia so I don’t want any trace of that left.

Sorry I ranted again. This is stuff I think about a lot.

I hope you have a nice day ~
  • Disappearing1 and GrilledChocolate like this

[I am very stuck]

#12 broken_butterfly_xx

broken_butterfly_xx

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1902 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 01:45 AM

Be gentle with yourself. My transition was a lot of back and forth especially during binges. I am struggling now with the mindset if soon I am going to have to give this up forever again and it is leading to me eating it and bingeing on it all the time. But if I just ate normally it would be a lot more whole foods and the junk and the dairy would probably make an appearance a lot less. Eventually it went away entirely the last time and I had no desire to eat them. I don’t agree with the people who say watch the gross documentary actually and I was vegan 5 years and I think it is awful and everything but we have strong defence mechanisms that keep us from applying our discomfort to our own behaviour. Or else we would have a world of Vegans, easily.

The thing about the documentary is also that it’s different from people with eating disorders like bulimia. It’s hard to connect the dots when you’re starving yourself and are presented with carb filled foods in front of you. You don’t stop and think “is this vegan”. Well you might think “this isn’t vegan” and just keep going..

My transition was also a lot back and fourth. I lived at home and would eat whatever I could find, my dad would just make jokes about me not being able to call myself vegan if I kept eating non vegan stuff. It made me so insecure and more stubborn on becoming vegan and so ashamed I tried my best to stop taking food from them (and I’d just waste my own money on the cheapest food I could find... wasn’t always vegan. I was 14 and had limited access to money).

He didn’t know about my eating disorder then and didn’t know much about eating disorders in general (he’s become a lot more understanding throughout the years, thankfully).

Are you still vegan?
If yes have you ever considering going vegetarian?
If no why did you stop?

Only reply if you want to, this is me being curious about other people’s journey. I’m still trying to figure out what’s the best path for me and unsure about what’s “right” and “wrong”.

Also did you ever consciously eat something that wasn’t vegan (when you were vegan) without it being in a binge?

[I am very stuck]

#13 GrilledChocolate

GrilledChocolate

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 02:24 AM

This exactly! I enjoy eating whole foods, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and the like. I also know that such a diet makes me feel good. I'm now starting to work on eating sufficiently and not being to hard on myself. This morning I had a yoghurt. Otherwise I'd have bread with peanut butter or hummus, but I know that a breakfast of yoghurt, muesli, and fruit makes me feel more secure. As I am trying to break out of this binge cycle I thought that would be the better option for now.

Instead of throwing them out you can give them away (if you know someone who might want to eat it). If you’re embarrassed about the fact that you bought it and they know you’re trying to be vegan just tell them it was on sale, you bought it by accident or someone gave them to you and you didn’t have it in your heart to tell them you were vegan and therefor you just accepted the food.

I usually give stuff I don’t eat to my neighbor (I have accidentally bought or been gifted stuff that wasn’t vegan).

That doesn’t mean I haven’t wasted food by throwing them out. In desperate attempts to stop binging I have thrown out food before.

Yep I've thrown out a lot of food the last couple weeks. Mostly out of anger, but also desperation. I always end up buying more binge food though, so I'm conflicted. My money is not unlimited (student-budget) so if I end up binging anyway, why not just keep the leftovers? It doesn't really help with the binges but it does with the money problems. :/

Keeping the foods also makes me more paranoid though, lol. Currently I'm staying over at my boyfriend and I know that my own fridge is filled with binge-foods. At least I can prepare myself mentally, maybe even thinking about non-wasteful ways to rid myself from them. I'm not sure if I feel comfortable giving food to my house mates. I have been ordering online so much and I don't want to come over as a weird food-person even more. But maybe I could take some to some schoolfriends. Or just eat it myself (hello bulimia-thought).

~ I am strong ~

~ I have perseverance ~

~ I am determined ~

~ I am in control ~

#14 broken_butterfly_xx

broken_butterfly_xx

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1902 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 06:08 AM

Yep I've thrown out a lot of food the last couple weeks. Mostly out of anger, but also desperation. I always end up buying more binge food though, so I'm conflicted. My money is not unlimited (student-budget) so if I end up binging anyway, why not just keep the leftovers? It doesn't really help with the binges but it does with the money problems. :/
Keeping the foods also makes me more paranoid though, lol. Currently I'm staying over at my boyfriend and I know that my own fridge is filled with binge-foods. At least I can prepare myself mentally, maybe even thinking about non-wasteful ways to rid myself from them. I'm not sure if I feel comfortable giving food to my house mates. I have been ordering online so much and I don't want to come over as a weird food-person even more. But maybe I could take some to some schoolfriends. Or just eat it myself (hello bulimia-thought).

Changing place can be helpful in order to get at least a short break from bulimia. Which must sound crazy to non-ED peeps ~

I later moved into at a staffed house (don’t know the English term but it wasn’t inpatient. I lived there from age 16-19). I started hoarding food and bulimia got worse by doing that but it felt like my only option during that time. I wasn’t ready to let go so I just let myself become more sick.
It got worse when I got an apartment room (connected to the staffed house, I could walk back and fourth between my apartment and the main building).
I had no tools to control my mood swings, I had no regulations anymore. No one forcing me to be a part of dinner.
So a year passed with me not telling anyone I was purging a lot until it got too much and I told my favorite contact person.

For so long I was sure I would move out and just die from bulimia. But here I am. Just turned 22 today - bulimia is banned from my apartment.

Is the amounts that you’ve ordered that big? Are you able to limit yourself in terms of how much food you buy or is it panic food buying that you don’t feel in control of?

Do you have family you could give food to? Or your boyfriend?

Else I must say I would never judge anyone for throwing food out in order to not binge/purge. Sometimes it’s just the only option to keep you safe from yourself :/

I hope you get a little breather by being at your boyfriends place. Bulimia is hell on earth and I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.

Sorry for ranting but just wanted to say you can get out of it. You can get away from it. If I hadn’t told my contact person and she had established support around me I wouldn’t have gotten better.

[I am very stuck]

#15 GrilledChocolate

GrilledChocolate

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 06:20 AM

Changing place can be helpful in order to get at least a short break from bulimia. Which must sound crazy to non-ED peeps ~

I later moved into at a staffed house (don’t know the English term but it wasn’t inpatient. I lived there from age 16-19). I started hoarding food and bulimia got worse by doing that but it felt like my only option during that time. I wasn’t ready to let go so I just let myself become more sick.
It got worse when I got an apartment room (connected to the staffed house, I could walk back and fourth between my apartment and the main building).
I had no tools to control my mood swings, I had no regulations anymore. No one forcing me to be a part of dinner.
So a year passed with me not telling anyone I was purging a lot until it got too much and I told my favorite contact person.

For so long I was sure I would move out and just die from bulimia. But here I am. Just turned 22 today - bulimia is banned from my apartment.

Is the amounts that you’ve ordered that big? Are you able to limit yourself in terms of how much food you buy or is it panic food buying that you don’t feel in control of?

Do you have family you could give food to? Or your boyfriend?

Else I must say I would never judge anyone for throwing food out in order to not binge/purge. Sometimes it’s just the only option to keep you safe from yourself :/

I hope you get a little breather by being at your boyfriends place. Bulimia is hell on earth and I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.

Sorry for ranting but just wanted to say you can get out of it. You can get away from it. If I hadn’t told my contact person and she had established support around me I wouldn’t have gotten better.

Changing place is life-saving, lol. Especially the structure of just eating breakfast, lunch, dinner, and also ofcourse not having the option to overindulge in self-bought foods. I can still feel like I'm bingeing if we order Indian food or something, but at least I have some support around me and it is not the whole day that I spend bingeing.

I'm so happy to hear from you that your bulimia is banned from your apartment! Did it take you long to get there? What were the steps you took? I moved out a month ago to my own shared student house, so I also have difficulty with creating structure for myself when I'm alone.

The amounts I order or buy are pretty big, and they have gotten bigger during the last weeks. First I spent about 10 euros on food, then 20 euros, now I sometimes get over 70 euros... No fun. I think I panic buy. I just walk through the supermarket and am like "oh I should get this, this looks good, but I also need this, maybe I should get this as well, and this? And this! Yes!"

I could bring some over to my boyfriend yes. That's a good idea! He knows it is binge food but I could explain to him that I don't want to waste it - he also knows I tend to throw away a lot.

~ I am strong ~

~ I have perseverance ~

~ I am determined ~

~ I am in control ~

#16 AmethystAna

AmethystAna

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4254 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 October 2020 - 01:51 AM

The thing about the documentary is also that it’s different from people with eating disorders like bulimia. It’s hard to connect the dots when you’re starving yourself and are presented with carb filled foods in front of you. You don’t stop and think “is this vegan”. Well you might think “this isn’t vegan” and just keep going..

My transition was also a lot back and fourth. I lived at home and would eat whatever I could find, my dad would just make jokes about me not being able to call myself vegan if I kept eating non vegan stuff. It made me so insecure and more stubborn on becoming vegan and so ashamed I tried my best to stop taking food from them (and I’d just waste my own money on the cheapest food I could find... wasn’t always vegan. I was 14 and had limited access to money).

He didn’t know about my eating disorder then and didn’t know much about eating disorders in general (he’s become a lot more understanding throughout the years, thankfully).

Are you still vegan?
If yes have you ever considering going vegetarian?
If no why did you stop?

Only reply if you want to, this is me being curious about other people’s journey. I’m still trying to figure out what’s the best path for me and unsure about what’s “right” and “wrong”.

Also did you ever consciously eat something that wasn’t vegan (when you were vegan) without it being in a binge?

I am not vegan now though I still try to eat mostly vegan. I developed a digestive illness that limited my food (low fibre, low raw, low FODMAP) which meant I couldn’t live on big salads, lots of fresh fruits and veggies, no more nuts and almost no beans, lentils and pulses. So I added eggs as my protein other than tofu.

146 145 144 143 142 141 140 139 138 137

136 135 134 133 132 131 130 129 

128 127 126 125 124 123

122 121 120 119 118 

117 116 115 114

113 112 111 

Gluten free-veg*n accountability

#17 fite.or.dontfite

fite.or.dontfite

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 05:51 PM

The thing that really helped me to become and stay vegan was associating with other vegans, actually.

Doing it on your own without any supports is really hard! 

If you can, find out if there is a local vegan community, or even try to make vegan friends online that you can chat with daily. 

When you surround yourself with other people that have the same morals and ideas as you, it's really helps motivate you and holds you accountable. (I personally feel like I would be letting all those friends down)

Becoming vegan helped me to overcome the binging and purging cycle. 

#18 broken_butterfly_xx

broken_butterfly_xx

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1902 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 03:47 PM

Changing place is life-saving, lol. Especially the structure of just eating breakfast, lunch, dinner, and also ofcourse not having the option to overindulge in self-bought foods. I can still feel like I'm bingeing if we order Indian food or something, but at least I have some support around me and it is not the whole day that I spend bingeing.

I'm so happy to hear from you that your bulimia is banned from your apartment! Did it take you long to get there? What were the steps you took? I moved out a month ago to my own shared student house, so I also have difficulty with creating structure for myself when I'm alone.

The amounts I order or buy are pretty big, and they have gotten bigger during the last weeks. First I spent about 10 euros on food, then 20 euros, now I sometimes get over 70 euros... No fun. I think I panic buy. I just walk through the supermarket and am like "oh I should get this, this looks good, but I also need this, maybe I should get this as well, and this? And this! Yes!"
I could bring some over to my boyfriend yes. That's a good idea! He knows it is binge food but I could explain to him that I don't want to waste it - he also knows I tend to throw away a lot.

When I look back it felt like being at point A and then stepping sideways into point B. Like I just had to take a few steps and then I came to be “free”.

I know it wasn’t actually like that but that is how I remember it. I think you end up forgetting a lot of the actual hardships (since it’s easier that way?).

In January 2018 I started to actually accept recovery for myself whereas before then I had just “existed” and had just let those around me believe I was actually trying to recover when I wasn’t. That new year I decided for myself that I deserved recovery.

I kept purging but I kept a lot more down than before so I gained weight and gained new energy. It wasn’t fun gaining weight. Like at first I was proud but I did also feel guilty and ashamed. I was scared of the change but I kept allowing myself to keep food down.

It felt like my mindset had changed for good and it was hard to get as low as I was before. I didn’t want to be this shell of a person anymore I wanted to be “someone” instead of “something”/an eating disorder.

In June 2018 I moved to a new apartment and that is when I just kinda stopped purging one day to the other because it felt “weird”. I think I had gone a while, at this point, where I purged because “I have an eating disorder therefor I must force myself through this” but my heart wasn’t in it which is why it was easy at this point to stop?

I’m sorry if this doesn’t make sense and if I’m repeating myself. I find it hard to pinpoint how I recovered but at some point I just got stubborn about not being sick anymore and I was lucky because I had a team around me able to support me. If not for them it would have been a hell of a lot harder... it’s not to say you can’t do it alone but when times were rough I could go to them for encouraging words and help with portion sizes.

I used to panic buy food a lot too. I always needed food available and if I didn’t have any I’d take from the others kitchen.

How are you doing now?

Hope you’re holding on okay. Sorry I’m bad at replying but I really did want to reply properly.

[I am very stuck]

#19 broken_butterfly_xx

broken_butterfly_xx

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1902 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 03:49 PM

I am not vegan now though I still try to eat mostly vegan. I developed a digestive illness that limited my food (low fibre, low raw, low FODMAP) which meant I couldn’t live on big salads, lots of fresh fruits and veggies, no more nuts and almost no beans, lentils and pulses. So I added eggs as my protein other than tofu.

Thank you for your reply. I always feared getting a digestive illness. It must be rough :/

[I am very stuck]

#20 broken_butterfly_xx

broken_butterfly_xx

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1902 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 03:51 PM

Have you tried putting your money on different accounts/make savings account to at least limit the amount you spend?

It might not work wonders but it was something I would do sometimes in order to save myself from myself.

You’ll probably still buy binge food but if you think you have less money than you actually have you might feel less inclined to. It’s psychology lol

[I am very stuck]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users