I was attacked by vegans on reddit - Vegetarian/Vegan/Raw Food Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

I was attacked by vegans on reddit

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Kkrocker

Kkrocker

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:20 PM

I was on reddit talking about my m and sister trying to make a pescetarian and someone asked if I had allergies and I said no,than they asked why am I a vegetarian if I don't have allergies and than I said not all vegetarians are alergic to meet and said vegetarian are people who don't eat meat if it kills the animal than they asked if I care about animals so much why am I eating dairy and I said "you do know this is the vegetarian subreddit,right?" Than they started saying people like me were the reason she left the vegan subreddit and said that the vegetarian subreddit was so welcoming and you could tell that it was sarcasm even without a voice ,but I was so angry (now more than one person) they came to the vegetarian subreddit and tried to shun me for still consuming dairy

#2 seasnake

seasnake

Serpent God of Fasting

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationHouston, we have a problem

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:41 PM

Those who believe dairy is a bad thing due to being abusive to animals have never been to a dairy farm as their notion that its not a good life for the cows is entirely off the mark. Though they are milked a lot, and can get sore nipples, as cows they are quite typically incredibly spoiled and love humans. They are used to being around people, are used to be treated well and fed well, typically have heated barns and their female calves aren't shipped off for slaughter as milk cows are too valuable to kill for meat. As such, they tend to have good well cared for and attended to lives. I've been to dairy farms, and the dairy cows not only don't tend to mind people lying and sitting down on top of them but actually enjoy it. Dairy cows that aren't well treated don't produce very well. Perhaps on large commercial farms things are different for them, but on large private dairy farms they are typically very well treated. I've known dairy farmers who would turn off heat and electricity in their own homes before ever doing that to their dairy cows to which the farmers needed good production from for their livelihood. Cattle take a lot of work and effort and aren't cheap to feed, and they are big, so if they weren't livestock they would quickly be wiped out and most likely made extinct.

• stickbugbaby likes this

I was once told that you are what you eat and then I just cried and cried and cried cause no matter how much I wanted to be one I just couldn't bring myself to eating a skinny person.

My threads:   The Fasting Game    My Fasting Game Spreadsheet    Youtube Exercise Videos (No-Equipment): Organized into Routines    The Whoosh Effect    My Profile    My Pics

#3 atomickitty

atomickitty

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:41 PM

Those who believe dairy is a bad thing due to being abusive to animals have never been to a dairy farm as their notion that its not a good life for the cows is entirely off the mark. Though they are milked a lot, and can get sore nipples, as cows they are quite typically incredibly spoiled and love humans. They are used to being around people, are used to be treated well and fed well, typically have heated barns and their female calves aren't shipped off for slaughter as milk cows are too valuable to kill for meat. As such, they tend to have good well cared for and attended to lives. I've been to dairy farms, and the dairy cows not only don't tend to mind people lying and sitting down on top of them but actually enjoy it. Dairy cows that aren't well treated don't produce very well. Perhaps on large commercial farms things are different for them, but on large private dairy farms they are typically very well treated. I've known dairy farmers who would turn off heat and electricity in their own homes before ever doing that to their dairy cows to which the farmers needed good production from for their livelihood. Cattle take a lot of work and effort and aren't cheap to feed, and they are big, so if they weren't livestock they would quickly be wiped out and most likely made extinct.

I mean to be fair, they shouldn't be exploited in such a way to begin with. Whatever notion you have of the cows being treated fairly and given heat and electricity and a grand life, is not true for much of the world. For much of the animal products that are seen on the shelves of grocery stores. Not everything comes from someone's uncle's farm. I would suggest doing a bit more research into the topic of dairy as it really isn't quite as pleasant as you make it sound for the majority of factory farms.

But like I said, homing situations and "loving" relationships aside, they are being exploited. The dairy industry is the meat industry. It's not natural and it's not necessary.
  • aristo, NatalieBoleyn, weightlessfoodie and 12 others like this

=^● ⋏ ●^=

#4 Kkrocker

Kkrocker

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 05:49 AM

The only issue I had was that they went to the vegetarian subreddit when there are vegan subreddits, and my post talked about my mom trying to make me eat fish and than they started bashing me

#5 pre-apocalypse

pre-apocalypse

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 07:20 AM

Alternatively: you could just... not exploit nonhuman animals 

• aristo, NatalieBoleyn, atomickitty and 9 others like this

-Stats-

20/F/USA

Height-5' 7.5"

CW- 138

UGW-120 to 115

~accountability~

#6 Kkrocker

Kkrocker

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:58 AM

Alternatively: you could just... not exploit nonhuman animals

Than I would be starving because it took years for my mom to actually see that I wanted to be a vegetarian and be a little more understanding with buying food,but vegan? My mom won't get any of the stuff I need and she just buys junk food

#7 AmethystAna

AmethystAna

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:47 PM

I’m sorry you got unsupportive and unsolicited comments there and here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • ♥lacuna♥ and paperinukke like this

146 145 144 143 142 141 140 139 138 137

136 135 134 133 132 131 130 129 

128 127 126 125 124 123

122 121 120 119 118 

117 116 115 114

113 112 111 

Gluten free-veg*n accountability

#8 Kijaha2

Kijaha2

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:13 AM

The dairy industry actually treats animals pretty inhumanely for the most part, unfortunately. My family owns a medium sized dairy farm and they're the type of farm that you describe, but they are in no way the majority. The terrible part is that it's way more profitable for farms to overcrowd, underfeed, and overproduce their animals so that's what large industrial farms tend to lean towards.

That being said, making people feel guilty for eating dairy is obviously absurd lol. Like those people just have to be fucking with you on some level. Sorry you got harassed! 

• bananabread, I'm Vegan btw, Chickenpox and 1 other like this

5'4 

CW: 109

HW: 132

LW: ~ 80 

Tumblr: http://idksomethinggeneric.tumblr.com/

#9 LarmeKeiLover

LarmeKeiLover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationA lovely dream

Posted 13 October 2020 - 01:10 AM

I mean, I grew up around farms (some of my family has been featured for being "such good animal agricultural farmers", mum and dad's home town is full of farms, a lot of my family own farms so on so on)   and I believe it is unnecessary cruelty in which most of the cows wouldn't even be in that position if it weren't for humans forcing them to be for our taste. The dairy industry created most of the problems that farmers claim cows would have naturally.  Many vegans or even just people who refuse to drink dairy grew up around, working on, going to or living on farms. 

Of course there's also vegans who have never stepped foot on one and base all their information off vegan documentaries but saying that someone who thinks dairy is cruel has never been on a dairy farm is simply not true.

• Kijaha2, bananabread, I'm Vegan btw and 1 other like this

#10 strawberryclouds

strawberryclouds

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 01:21 AM

Than I would be starving because it took years for my mom to actually see that I wanted to be a vegetarian and be a little more understanding with buying food,but vegan? My mom won't get any of the stuff I need and she just buys junk food

no offense but i hate the 'oh i cant bc of my parents' argument

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • bananabread likes this

vegan

#11 strawberryclouds

strawberryclouds

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 01:33 AM

please do your research. what you're describing represents like not even 3% of dairy farms in this world. cows are dying in the process, calves are being instantly removed from their mothers side and most don't even have enough space to 'live' and barely survive. it's hell. not to mention the fact that we aren't calves so why tf should we drink milk like who even started this. milk is not for humans. it is just not.
and yeah. i've been to dairy farms before. i was at the kind you described too, but that's just one in many and it doesn't justify exploiting helpless animals.

• aristo, bananabread, I'm Vegan btw and 3 others like this

vegan

#12 seasnake

seasnake

Serpent God of Fasting

• Accountability access
  • 17487 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 01:38 AM

please do your research. what you're describing represents like not even 3% of dairy farms in this world. cows are dying in the process, calves are being instantly removed from their mothers side and most don't even have enough space to 'live' and barely survive. it's hell. not to mention the fact that we aren't calves so why tf should we drink milk like who even started this. milk is not for humans. it is just not.
and yeah. i've been to dairy farms before. i was at the kind you described too, but that's just one in many and it doesn't justify exploiting helpless animals.

If cattle weren't used as a food source, they would go extinct. They are too big and not worth having around, you can rest assured we would kill them.

I was once told that you are what you eat and then I just cried and cried and cried cause no matter how much I wanted to be one I just couldn't bring myself to eating a skinny person.

My threads:   The Fasting Game    My Fasting Game Spreadsheet    Youtube Exercise Videos (No-Equipment): Organized into Routines    The Whoosh Effect    My Profile    My Pics

#13 strawberryclouds

strawberryclouds

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 01:46 AM

If cattle weren't used as a food source, they would go extinct. They are too big and not worth having around, you can rest assured we would kill them.

that's your reason for justifying the harm we do to them? wow

• bananabread, I'm Vegan btw and LarmeKeiLover like this

vegan

#14 seasnake

seasnake

Serpent God of Fasting

• Accountability access
  • 17487 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 01:53 AM

that's your reason for justifying the harm we do to them? wow

Life is better than no life, and on many farms they are treated quite well. Sorry that Mother Nature is such a bitch, the entire food chain is awful, but its what we have. 

#15 Kkrocker

Kkrocker

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 02:30 AM

no offense but i hate the 'oh i cant bc of my parents' argument

Um, it's not my fault I'm a minor? I'm rarely allowed to go to the grocery store because my mom only likes going alone . Anyways it seems like everyone ignored what I talked about ,my mom and sister are literally trying to get me to eat fish, and my brother is telling me I need to eat meat to be healthy, and I'm gonna be vegan next year because that's when I'm moving out. My mom makes the final decision and like I said before it took years,a little over 5 years for my mom to take me serious about wanting to be a vegetarian. Like I live in a house where it's 6 against 1. and my mom said she can't afford to get the regular groceries and my groceries,she already complains about the price of tofu and beyond meat and that's all she even buys minus the tofu now she's ok with me being vegetarian but not really supportive

#16 AmethystAna

AmethystAna

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4012 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 October 2020 - 11:49 AM

There would not be as many cattle as they are explicitly bred for food. We would not be overrun by wild cattle. Just like we don't have such a problem with any other animal that it "has" to be killed. Guess what? nature has a way of perfectly balancing itself out. 

• bananabread, I'm Vegan btw and LarmeKeiLover like this

128 127 126 125 124 123

122 121 120 119 118 

117 116 115 114

113 112 111 

#17 AmethystAna

AmethystAna

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4012 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 October 2020 - 11:51 AM

Oh the irony of "I was attacked by vegans on reddit" coming here and so much fucking negativity. Live and let live. I am sorry but I can't get over vegans who aren't compassionate to humans and non-vegans who can't just let vegans be. WTF

• coffeemess, ♥lacuna♥ and runningwithyou like this

128 127 126 125 124 123

122 121 120 119 118 

117 116 115 114

113 112 111 

#18 Kkrocker

Kkrocker

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 02:32 AM

Oh the irony of "I was attacked by vegans on reddit" coming here and so much fucking negativity. Live and let live. I am sorry but I can't get over vegans who aren't compassionate to humans and non-vegans who can't just let vegans be. WTF

Yeah I'm gonna be vegan when I move out next year,but on reddit they were confused about me being vegetarian even though I was not allergic to any meat,on reddit I was talking about my mom and sister pushing me to eat fish (my mom even told me it's okay to eat chicken once and a while)
  • AmethystAna and runningwithyou like this

#19 Lil Miss Strawb

Lil Miss Strawb

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts
  • LocationProbably asleep

Posted 17 October 2020 - 11:42 AM

I used to be vegan and regularly got attacked online by other vegans over stupid stuff, even happened on mpa once lol. Unfortunately there is a select but noisy few vegans online who are kinda elitist gatekeeper types

edit: as you can see lol

• AmethystAna and paperinukke like this

original.gif

original.gif

0b6aa9ab09295bee6d132910573cb8aa.gif

giphy.gif

anime-girl-computer-gif-5.gif

#20 SkinnyB!tchGoals

SkinnyB!tchGoals

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 October 2020 - 12:03 PM

Um, it's not my fault I'm a minor? I'm rarely allowed to go to the grocery store because my mom only likes going alone . Anyways it seems like everyone ignored what I talked about ,my mom and sister are literally trying to get me to eat fish, and my brother is telling me I need to eat meat to be healthy, and I'm gonna be vegan next year because that's when I'm moving out. My mom makes the final decision and like I said before it took years,a little over 5 years for my mom to take me serious about wanting to be a vegetarian. Like I live in a house where it's 6 against 1. and my mom said she can't afford to get the regular groceries and my groceries,she already complains about the price of tofu and beyond meat and that's all she even buys minus the tofu now she's ok with me being vegetarian but not really supportive

That's so silly she complains about the price of tofu?? Like, it's usually $2. Meat is so much more expensive. If you don't want to eat fish, they really can't force you. I would just make a salad or something for yourself and just politely decline. Things will be better once your on your own and can make your own food purchases/choices, which sounds like it will be soon!

Good luck!!
  • AmethystAna and bananabread like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users