I was attacked by vegans on reddit - Page 2 - Vegetarian/Vegan/Raw Food Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

I was attacked by vegans on reddit

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 I'm Vegan btw

I'm Vegan btw

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 05:02 PM

I used to be vegan and regularly got attacked online by other vegans over stupid stuff, even happened on mpa once lol. Unfortunately there is a select but noisy few vegans online who are kinda elitist gatekeeper types

I wouldnt say gate keeping is inherently bad, there needs to be a distinct line when it comes to ethical believes.

If someone said they were a Christian but they didn't believe in jesus, then theyre not a Christian.

Again, just because someone eats kosher food, it doesn't make them Jewish.

Thaey are both gate keeping but it no one would argue that that is wrong.

There are many people who claim to be vegan but just eat plant based and they can lead to a bastardisation of the term to the point where people don't know what veganism is. In fact most people who have asked me about it have just thought it was a diet.

Also pointing out about exploitations when it happens can help some people realise their own cognitive dissonance, even if some people think it is rude or elitist. Just one vegan being 'rude' and 'pushy' at me on one day was what it took for me to re evaluate and change my life style.

(This next bit isn't in reply to you, its just something else that irks me to do with it) it really bugs me when people say shit like "i would consider being vegan if vegans weren't so rude." Like buddy, if someone being mean to you is stopping you from aligning with your morals, then you weren't going to do it anyway. Heck I havent met another vegan irl in over 2 years, its not like its a social club

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk
  • LarmeKeiLover and cheshire_kitten like this

#22 tove lo

tove lo

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1028 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 18 October 2020 - 11:21 AM

Idk wtf this thread turned into, but that's so not cool that you got harassed on reddit because your family was trying to force you to eat meat... Jesus christ. I was vegetarian for like 5 years and been considering it's time to get back to it and I already cut out a lot of dairy so I feel like if I can reign in my b/p bullshit I can at least be plant based again and work towards veganism. I understand why vegans give non vegans so much shit, but I swear to god vegetarians get more shit from vegans than meat eaters do... I don't understand. I don't want to

#23 Daniel4754

Daniel4754

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 960 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 18 October 2020 - 11:45 AM

I thought that the male animals were killed immediately after birth and thrown in the trash because boy chickens can't lay eggs and boy cows can't produce milk so raising either to adulthood makes no financial sense to the industrial farmer.

There's more than one variety of animal. Each one is bred to be great at one specific thing. Like you've got the beef cow and the dairy cow. I think that there's an argument to be made that eating beef or chicken is more ethical than drinking milk or eating eggs because nothing goes to waste where as with the others, 50% of the population is killed. There's just less respect. If you kill it, you should eat it! This is why people dislike hunting for sport.
SW: 348CW: 326 GW: 200MyFitnessPal: Daniel8746

#24 Kkrocker

Kkrocker

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:30 PM

That's so silly she complains about the price of tofu?? Like, it's usually $2. Meat is so much more expensive. If you don't want to eat fish, they really can't force you. I would just make a salad or something for yourself and just politely decline. Things will be better once your on your own and can make your own food purchases/choices, which sounds like it will be soon!

Good luck!!

Thanks!,and she doesn't like the price of tofu vs the amount of tofu at the kroger we shop at and she was thinking about getting costco tofu

#25 puppybreath

puppybreath

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Locationcrying in the bread aisle

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:56 PM

I thought that the male animals were killed immediately after birth and thrown in the trash because boy chickens can't lay eggs and boy cows can't produce milk so raising either to adulthood makes no financial sense to the industrial farmer.

There's more than one variety of animal. Each one is bred to be great at one specific thing. Like you've got the beef cow and the dairy cow. I think that there's an argument to be made that eating beef or chicken is more ethical than drinking milk or eating eggs because nothing goes to waste where as with the others, 50% of the population is killed. There's just less respect. If you kill it, you should eat it! This is why people dislike hunting for sport.

ur first statement is correct. however there is no such thing as ethical murder lol. here let me ethically and humanely slit the throat of a being who has pain receptors and wants to live. sounds shitty huh
  • Daniel4754 likes this

i want to bash my skull open

weight.png

#26 runningwithyou

runningwithyou

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 900 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:48 AM

Yeah I'm gonna be vegan when I move out next year,but on reddit they were confused about me being vegetarian even though I was not allergic to any meat,on reddit I was talking about my mom and sister pushing me to eat fish (my mom even told me it's okay to eat chicken once and a while)

I'm sorry you got crap on reddit and here, especially in a vegetarian forum! If you were in an lactovegetarian, ovovegetarian, or even mixed forum like here that would make at least make more sense why vegans were hanging around (personally I often find vegetarian spots annoying to me because the recipes and such are so close to something I'd eat and then...nope). I do think/hope that some comments here were responding to other people's comments more than your original post. Also, my family spent the 5 years I was vegetarian trying to convince me to eat seafood/fish, and when I became vegan, they went back to trying for any meat at all again, so hopefully yours is better than mine! Things are definitely a lot easier when you no longer live at home and/or have enough income to buy your own food.

Anywhoo, there's so many reasons not to eat certain foods; "I will literally die if I consume this" should not be the benchmark for acceptance of dietary restrictions. Also, good on you for researching/getting your head out of the sand so early - I didn't think about my food consumption/choices at all until college, and then it took my already vegetarian friend goading me into it for me to be vegetarian, and then I was like "wait beings don't have to die for me to live??? Willddddd." and then a few years later I was like "wait there's death and exploitation in the egg and dairy industry?? Why does humanity consistently treat living beings as a means to an end with no regard for their life and desires?" and now I'm researching my new running shoes to make sure they're not made with animal products. But you're 5 years ahead of any enlightenment I had; that's so many lives saved! :)

~Every step takes me closer to my goal~

173 cm (5'8")

92-68-105cm/36-27.0-41.3in

HW: 82 kg (181 lbs)   LW: 57.5 kg (127 lbs)

#27 Kkrocker

Kkrocker

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:54 PM

I'm sorry you got crap on reddit and here, especially in a vegetarian forum! If you were in an lactovegetarian, ovovegetarian, or even mixed forum like here that would make at least make more sense why vegans were hanging around (personally I often find vegetarian spots annoying to me because the recipes and such are so close to something I'd eat and then...nope). I do think/hope that some comments here were responding to other people's comments more than your original post. Also, my family spent the 5 years I was vegetarian trying to convince me to eat seafood/fish, and when I became vegan, they went back to trying for any meat at all again, so hopefully yours is better than mine! Things are definitely a lot easier when you no longer live at home and/or have enough income to buy your own food.

Anywhoo, there's so many reasons not to eat certain foods; "I will literally die if I consume this" should not be the benchmark for acceptance of dietary restrictions. Also, good on you for researching/getting your head out of the sand so early - I didn't think about my food consumption/choices at all until college, and then it took my already vegetarian friend goading me into it for me to be vegetarian, and then I was like "wait beings don't have to die for me to live??? Willddddd." and then a few years later I was like "wait there's death and exploitation in the egg and dairy industry?? Why does humanity consistently treat living beings as a means to an end with no regard for their life and desires?" and now I'm researching my new running shoes to make sure they're not made with animal products. But you're 5 years ahead of any enlightenment I had; that's so many lives saved! :)

Thanks! I even stopped wearing my favorite shoes, though my family were confused. Some said "what's wrong with wearing animals if it keeps you warm" and we have pet chickens,it would feel weird eating chicken now. When we had ducks my niece wouldn't touch duck egg or have duck meat,but when we got the chickens I asked if that meant she was gonna stop eating chicken and eggs she said yes, until her mom was like "but chicken nuggets" and than my niece said "I'm not gonna eat our chickens". I have been trying to do vegetarian stuff,but it took years for my mom to be a little okay with it and I went vegetarian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users