Hormone treatment and weight? - Males with ED - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Hormone treatment and weight?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 indicats

indicats

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3656 posts
  • Locationraiding your fridge

Posted 22 September 2020 - 06:08 AM

Posted this in the minorities forum but I figured I might as well cross post here. No hate please, I'm just living my best life

so I'm a trans dude, I got my script in the post today which is super super exciting but of course I worry about weight gain!!
I'm starting blockers first and then T gel 6 weeks later.
Trans men- did you experience any changes in weight/appetite when starting hormones? Is it manageable with calorie restriction? I've heard that a side effect of testosterone can be a massive increase in appetite which is why I'm nervous lol. Lots of love to you all

Sent from my MRD-LX1N using Tapatalk

trans man

167cm 

HW: 135

LW: 105

#2 Eethanol

Eethanol

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationFloor

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:47 PM

My hunger pangs (as opposed to the usual constant low-key hungry) went from what was normal to me to a really intense like MUST EAT FIRST THING I SEE hunger pangs.

Also my hanger is a little worse. I always varied between depressed or angry when especially hungry, but it used to be like 80% depressions and 20% angry; now it's more like 50/50.

I've actually found it useful. Tho... It's been a while since I was here and I forget the words - I usually aim for a 500-750 calorie deficit (was that high or low restriction? I forget). The awareness of being more often angry than before meant I have had to be really careful to put something in my stomach regularly (even if it is just a cup of miso) so as not to be bad at my job.
  • indicats and _Kaii_ like this
-I wanna feel like I feel when I'm asleep-
5'3/160cm
CW: 60.1kg
GW1: 60kg(132lbs)
GW2: 55kg(120lbs)
UGW: 45-50kg(99-110lbs)
LW: 47kg(103lbs)~

#3 fallingjewel

fallingjewel

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 01:18 PM

When I started T I was in recovery, so I can't say exactly. I think my appetite did go up a bit, but it settled down again after awhile. I also gained a decent amount of weight, more so than I have in any recovery period before or after (~20 lbs), but I didn't really visibly change in weight that much? Like I weighed a lot more, but I could still see my hip and collar bones and some of ribs. From what I can find a lot of the weight gain is actually just conversion of fat into muscle because T just does that.

Tl;dr You'll probably gain weight and have a temporary increase in appetite, but it'll mostly be due to conversion of fat to muscle

• indicats and peach dreams like this

Back on my Bullshit, Baby!

CW: 136.5 lbs

HW: 140.8 lbs

LW: 112.3 lbs

GW1: 130 lbs

GW2: 125 lbs

GW3: 118 lbs

UGW: 99 lbs

5'11"

#4 ShitagiNashi

ShitagiNashi

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:25 PM

your appetite might go up/change, but if you count cals and remain in a deficit it’s highly unlikely you will gain weight. I would definitely suggest starting some sort of weight training, even from home, as it helps w the fat redistribution etc
  • indicats likes this

#5 ShitagiNashi

ShitagiNashi

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:27 PM

also btw blockers might make you pretty depressed, they did for me!! if you start to feel mentally fucked make sure to keep in touch w your doc about that because they don’t always tell you it’s going to be a thing
  • indicats and peach dreams like this

#6 peach dreams

peach dreams

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1985 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 10:02 PM

First of all, congrats on starting T!!

I hope to start low dose t in the future so I'm gonna follow 👀
  • indicats likes this

#7 indicats

indicats

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3656 posts
  • Locationraiding your fridge

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:27 PM

also btw blockers might make you pretty depressed, they did for me!! if you start to feel mentally fucked make sure to keep in touch w your doc about that because they don’t always tell you it’s going to be a thing

I'm only like a week on blockers and already it's kind of an ordeal lmfao
I just feel like I'm m*nstruating properly for the first time in like 2 years since starting bc. I also just came off my ssris which I've been on for twice as long so it's a lot of different medication changes up in here

Hormones really are the boss villains of the human body

Sent from my MRD-LX1N using Tapatalk

trans man

167cm 

HW: 135

LW: 105

#8 mindblind

mindblind

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 06:56 PM

I feel like hunger is more intense. I also gained muscle which made me heavier. Overall it doesn't really make a difference if you restrict, you're going to lose weight.

• indicats likes this

L-death-note.jpg

19 Y/O  -  ♂️  -  AN-R

CW: 61.8 kg  -  HW: 70.2 kg  -  LW: 49.5 kg

GW1: 57.6 kg  -  GW2: 55 kg  -  GW3: 53 kg  -  GW4: 51.6 kg  -  GW5: 49 kg

#9 cartertart

cartertart

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationTennessee, USA

Posted 13 October 2020 - 08:05 PM

i haven't been on blockers but im on month three of t shots, and good fuckin lOrd am i hungry tbh. however, it's easy to curb by keeping something in your stomach (im force drinking lately, whether it's water, tea, or soda). restriction is pretty easy, especially when i work out it's easy to stay distracted, however you're gonna feel more like crap while restricting because of the metabolism boost. like mindblind said you're bound to lose weight, but it may be slower considering how much you exercise/restrict (the longer you're on it the easier it is to gain muscle, so even if you're getting thinner it might take a bit for the scale to go down).
this is just my experience tho! all i can really say is you're gonna be hungry aF so be careful about restricting so you don't hurt yourself. and furthermore, congrats!!! starting hrt is an amazing experience and im so happy for you man. good luck in your transition!!

#10 hes/simple/hes/dumb

hes/simple/hes/dumb

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationPurgatory

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:16 AM

oop i start on tuesday. following.

edit:does your tdee/bmr go up mine's shot after a period of low restriction

Height 5'5"

LW: 65 HW: 117.3 SW: 115 CW: 93 GW1: 98 UGW: 88

cbmi: 15.5

#11 raspberrynine

raspberrynine

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 01:28 PM

I ate normal when starting T 3 years ago and gained a bit, but I also had just stopped restricting so you know.

I'm not sure about what my TDEE is now or if it even changes on T but I started high restrict at 1200-1500 recently and I'm losing. it's manageble for me but for a long time I was too hungry to restrict I feel lmao, or I just didn't have the motivation

(kg)

65 64 63 62 61 60 59 58 57 56 55 54 53 52 51 50 49

#12 morning ༓・:*:・˚★

morning ༓・:*:・˚★

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 12:24 AM

i didn't notice any Major changes in my appetite. maybe a bigger craving for salty things but i dont like sweets anyway so it didnt seem weird to me.

T made me more clear-headed though. something about it makes you stop fretting so much, you develop more of an "avoid anger" complex rather than the "process sadness" mode you're used to. you stop being hypervigilant about your thoughts and feelings and if you are entitled to them. time slows down enough for you to think before you feel.

these things made it easier for me to restrict on T because to be honest i was completely unbothered by my own hunger. i felt clear headed and meditative almost, which is a great place to be for willpower.

edit: just stick to CICO and you'll be fine, arguably you'll be able to stick to it better

venus || ♏︎ || male

im always stoned tbh

gw: 99lbs // 45kg

#13 minmax

minmax

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 08:06 PM

this might be better put in a forum with other female ppl like the lgbt+ one

#14 Monster Man

Monster Man

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in hell, probably

Posted 11 December 2020 - 10:35 AM

First off, congrats on starting T!

Secondly; I've been on T for almost two years now and I can reassure you that I didn't gain any weight. I was around 52kg when I started T, and right now I'm at 48kg; I'd say that rather than losing weight I lost fat, which is honestly the best that has happened in years lol

I don't really know why tbh, cause at first I went through all the typical 2nd puberty shit, including the intense hunger; but after about 6 months it all went away and now I just restrict like usual and I'm able to lose weight without much of an issue as well.

He/Him

Height: 169cm/5'6"

CW: 47kg/103lbs

GW: 40kg/88lbs

HW: 70kg/154lbs

#15 misfitsoul

misfitsoul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 16 December 2020 - 11:04 PM

I started T in August of this year, I n t e n s e hunger at first omg but its manageable now.
☾ i'm just so fucking exhausted. ☾

#16 StomachCavity

StomachCavity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationAustralia WA

Posted 26 December 2020 - 02:57 AM

I feel like T forced me into physically recovering  :(

i gained 10+ kg and my hunger went up like crazy, like a hungry monster teenage boy. But also i gained muscle and my fat moved around.

Now im 1 year on T and my highest weight ive ever been in my life but i think my levels have settled and i can start my weightloss again.

I guess just be prepared for hunger 100x XD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users