Embarrassing exercise syndrome - Starting at a higher BMI - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Embarrassing exercise syndrome

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Pixoprint

Pixoprint

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

So, coming from a high bmi overweight/obese It physically makes me sick knowing I have to go outside to go for a run. Or even the gym. People looking at my gross body - judging me. When i was my lowest - these feelings never occored as i wasnt obese, I could run and swim for miles. I have absolutely no confidence in exercising in public now. It makes me binge even thinking about it. "I'm too pathetic and fat to go outside and exercise" what have I turned into?!!

I've been like this for years. Yet swimming is my thing I can just about stick to (when the pool has just opened in the morning and hardly anyone is there) I really want to get into running again (on my own) or a simple work out.

I've just found this app on the iPhone called "7 min work out" it was 69p I've just done my first one and I really enjoyed it :)
Still felt really uneasy knowing my bf was in the other room and will laugh at me if he saw me do it.

All work outs are 30 seconds long and there are different ones. You can adjust how long you want the work outs to go on for. There is a voice countdown to talk you through the work out (can be turned off) and there is a weight tracker and tracks on its own calendar when and how long you work out was.

I wanted to share this - as I think it's going to help me dramatically with my self confidence.

I'm currently doing the lunabelle diet and I have my own thread in the accountability forum. Hopefully now I will see more and more weightloss and finally get back into running.

If anyone tries this/has tried it I would love to hear your thoughts :)
  • cherri2082 and Wannab3skinny like this

#2 invisible.fatty

invisible.fatty

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3523 posts
  • LocationImagination Land

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:33 PM

Congrats on exercising past it! I have EXTREME anxiety issues when I have to workout outside. The only way I can do it is to walk with another person or go out at night with a hoodie (hood up).

Otherwise...it's all at home.

I added the app and I love it! :) Thank you.

weight.png

5'4”
HW: 250lbs
LW:125.0lbs
CW: 226lb (5/1/2020)

GW1: (get back to) the 190s

GW2: (get back to) the 180s

GW3: (get back to) the 170s

GW4: (get back to) the 160s

GW5: (get back to) the 150s

UGW: unknown

~~

I'm not where I'd like to be, but, I'm closer than I was yesterday.

~~

Current Mode: Binged my way to destruction, dysphoria harder than ever.

Accountability: https://www.myproana...e-tf-on-meeeee/

#3 heyitsaudraaaa

heyitsaudraaaa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

Thank you sweetheart!! that's definitely something ill check out!

~5'9~

Highest Weight - 250 lbs

Current Weight - 180 lbs

Lowest Weight - 150 lbs

Current Goal Weight - 110 lbs

Ultimate Goal Weight - 90 lbs  

~thinspiration is key, for thin I will be~ 

#4 lyssmae

lyssmae

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:56 PM

You could hit the gym in the early morning or late night if you're having anxiety about working out in public. I have a hard time working out at home, it's a motivational thing. If I'm at the gym.... I know I need to do it. At home, though, I'd rather slip in a DVD to watch than a work-out DVD. So good for you for being so self-motivated enough to work out at home. I am lucky that at the gym I go to, there are hardly any super-fit pretentious types that make me look bad in comparison. In fact, everyone is kind of lumpy/out of shape/beginner-esque, just like me!! Yay!!! But best of luck to you with the working out and I hope your anxiety about it starts to dissipate!!!

#5 Findingskinny

Findingskinny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationLexington, ky

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:01 PM

I am going through the same thing! I feel so fat in my "workout clothes" I tend to avoid it all together 😟. I joined a gym but cancelled it a few months later because I felt like all of the hot buff guys were making fun of me. My BMI is 33.7 and has never been this high!

#6 Wannab3skinny

Wannab3skinny

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:40 PM

I have similar feelings. I'm a bit out of shape so I feel pathetic when people see me gasping for breath. It discourages me and affects my performance. I quit sooner, and I stress and wear myself out more quickly. Instead of going outside, I go in my bathroom, put on music, and jog in place, shadow box, or mimic jump roping to get my cardio in. It really helps! I'm so much more motivated when its just me, alone with my thoughts and no one to judge me.
Height: 5'6"
SW: 172lbs
HW: 187lbs
LW: 132lbs

CW: 161lbs
Goal: 120lbs

#7 Guest_ohWaffles_*

Guest_ohWaffles_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:42 AM

You should get yourself some home equipment :) Or, if you can't afford that, buy yourself a jump rope and use that for cardio instead of jogging outside in public, or use soup cans instead of buying real weights :)

• Pixoprint likes this

#8 cherri2082

cherri2082

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationAtlantic beach of North Carolina

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:53 AM

GHave you tried Curves? It is just women- low impact- non judgemental and I have had great success at it. Averaging about 15 lbs a month and good losses in measurements! Check them out!
Current Challenges
Loose 10 lbs in August
Cherri2082 kik

#9 FaQfat

FaQfat

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:32 AM

aww...my heart goes out to you.  I HATE exercising in front of anyone, it's ok if they workout with me...but I'll kick everyone out of the living room for an hour so I can do it.

I love to exercise, inside, outside...I really do feel better when I workout....maybe find stuff you really love to do.  When I am outside is usually when I hula hoop or play 'sports' with my boys...I always make it fun, I'm never out there doing crunches or pushups.

SW: 230 ~ CW: 171.4 ~ LW: 138 
LOSE 5% of SW 218.5   10% 207   15% 195.5   20% 184  25% 172.5  30% 161  35% 149.5  40% 138  45% 126.5  50% 115
GW1 199 (15th August)GW2 169 (overweight BMI)  ~ GW3 140 (normal weight BMI)
OBESITY IS A LIFE THREATENING DIE-SEASE...CURE IT <3

Goddess within )O( Goddess without )O( Guide me to my goal )O( Ease my hunger )O( Soothe my spirit )O( Strengthen my resolve )O( As I will it, So mote it be!

#10 Pixoprint

Pixoprint

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

Wow thanks pals ^_^ thought I was the only one like this!

Cheers ohWaffles for the jump rope tip - never thought of that! Ill buy one on eBay on my payday!

Second day of doing the app and found it easier :) going to start increasing the reps once I find it more easier.
X

#11 Guest_Asmallcoal_*

Guest_Asmallcoal_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:52 AM

I totally know how you feel.  I hate running out side and having people stare at my red face.  I ended up buying a treadmill and use it almost  everyday.  It is so convenient because at two in the morning when I feel fat, I can just hop on there and burn some calories.  It makes me happy haha.  Sometimes I just walk and read too.  :D 

#12 cheapdate

cheapdate

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13949 posts
  • LocationNaboo

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:15 AM

So, coming from a high bmi overweight/obese It physically makes me sick knowing I have to go outside to go for a run. Or even the gym. People looking at my gross body - judging me. When i was my lowest - these feelings never occored as i wasnt obese, I could run and swim for miles. I have absolutely no confidence in exercising in public now. It makes me binge even thinking about it. "I'm too pathetic and fat to go outside and exercise" what have I turned into?!!

I've been like this for years. Yet swimming is my thing I can just about stick to (when the pool has just opened in the morning and hardly anyone is there) I really want to get into running again (on my own) or a simple work out.

I've just found this app on the iPhone called "7 min work out" it was 69p I've just done my first one and I really enjoyed it :)
Still felt really uneasy knowing my bf was in the other room and will laugh at me if he saw me do it.

All work outs are 30 seconds long and there are different ones. You can adjust how long you want the work outs to go on for. There is a voice countdown to talk you through the work out (can be turned off) and there is a weight tracker and tracks on its own calendar when and how long you work out was.

I wanted to share this - as I think it's going to help me dramatically with my self confidence.

I'm currently doing the lunabelle diet and I have my own thread in the accountability forum. Hopefully now I will see more and more weightloss and finally get back into running.

If anyone tries this/has tried it I would love to hear your thoughts :)

The biggest thinspo for me is when I see an overweight girl go out there and walk/run and when I see her at the gym working her ass off. It's beautiful, it's so motivating, and inspiring (:

"For small creatures such as we
the vastness is bearable only through love."
Carl Sagan, Contact

Current BMI: 17.9

Goal BMI: 16.8

#13 bgr8

bgr8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

I so know what you are talking I hate out at my house even.  It makes me feel uncomfortable, and I am always afraid my mom is going to see me working out because, I dont have a door in my doorway, and she is always, always at home and it sucks.

#14 jellysandals

jellysandals

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationUS-Midwest

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

I hate most aerobic-style working out because it makes my boobs hurt, which isn't a problem I had at my lower weight.

Low-impact is just boring. I really have no idea where to go from there, haha.

you think you've got me figured out
so light me up, my luminol
watch me glow

5'5" | 34 y/o | ED-NOS, Anxiety

accountability

cusack

#15 Tand

Tand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

So, coming from a high bmi overweight/obese It physically makes me sick knowing I have to go outside to go for a run. Or even the gym. People looking at my gross body - judging me. When i was my lowest - these feelings never occored as i wasnt obese, I could run and swim for miles. I have absolutely no confidence in exercising in public now. It makes me binge even thinking about it. "I'm too pathetic and fat to go outside and exercise" whathave I turned into?!!

I feel the exact same way, so you are not alone.

Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Stats:
HW: 243 (110kg)
CW: 220 (100kg)
GW: 132 (60kg)
Height: 5'5 (170cm)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users