Anyone else had clerks say something about food purchases? - Bulimia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Anyone else had clerks say something about food purchases?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 70kgdaydream

70kgdaydream

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:45 AM

Has anyone else had a shop clerk say something about their food purchases? I am just remembering back to a time where the guy who served me was scanning my items. Imagine this I had a tub of ice cream, chocolate, lollies, chips and all the junk food imaginable. As he’s scanning it he says “You know this is all bad for you.” I felt like saying well I’m gonna throw it all up anyway. Tell me your weird shopping stories for your B/P items.. x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • *ella, Daintykatie, GloriousThorn and 2 others like this

#2 Court Jester

Court Jester

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1791 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:50 AM

The only time someone has commented on it, it was a pack of Monster Ultra’s and the clerk was like “you know that artificial sugar makes you gain more weight than real sugar” and i’m like??? no it doesn’t??? its not the healthiest thing, but it sure as hell doesn’t make you gain weight. Uneducated people are really out here giving unsolicited advice.

• *ella, MorbidFixation, prince jin and 13 others like this

𝘓𝘰𝘳𝘥, 𝘐 𝘭𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘵𝘢𝘪𝘯
𝘈𝘭𝘭 𝘮𝘺 𝘱𝘳𝘪𝘥𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘪𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘱𝘳𝘢𝘪𝘴𝘦​​

Spoiler
hannibal2.12-eat-the-rude1-1433433246.gi
𝘈𝘤𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘢𝘣𝘪𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘺
ED IG: @dontfeedthejester

#3 My.beau

My.beau

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 10:34 AM

Sorta.. I’ve had a girl ask if I ran out of tortillas, since I came back the next day for more. Another asked what I was making. But I’ve never heard anything besides that.

#4 eatliketheabnegation

eatliketheabnegation

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1966 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 10:39 AM

I go to the same 7-eleven all the time so I'll get like "oh is this aaaaaaall today?" or "you get so many two liter bottles of soda"

I'm so sick, infected with, Where I live, Let me live without this, Empty bliss, selfishness ~Flyleaf

532.png

Height: 5' 2.5", 158.75 cm
HW: 158.0 lbs,   71.7 kg    6/24/16

CW:  128.0 lbs,   58.0 kg    10/10/20
LW: 92.3 lbs,      41.9 kg    12/25/14

GW: 110 lbs by November 2020

#5 Daintykatie

Daintykatie

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 06 October 2020 - 11:10 AM

Once I bought a shit ton of chocolate and I went to self checkout so I would avoid the shame. And THEN I got randomly selected to have my bag checked (happens every x customer or something, idk how it works) and the lady was like "ooohh craving some chocolate are we?" And I was like uhhh yeah that time of the month.. ha ha....

I think I died a little inside that day

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
  • indicats, 70kgdaydream, Ginseng and 1 other like this

#6 0pustyleb

0pustyleb

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 11:37 AM

Once I bought a shit ton of chocolate and I went to self checkout so I would avoid the shame. And THEN I got randomly selected to have my bag checked (happens every x customer or something, idk how it works) and the lady was like "ooohh craving some chocolate are we?" And I was like uhhh yeah that time of the month.. ha ha....

I think I died a little inside that day

lol whenever someone comments on how much i'm eating i blame it on my period which i don't get anymore

• lunarot, Daintykatie, 70kgdaydream and 2 others like this

#7 It'sPatBaby

It'sPatBaby

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 12:10 PM

Honestly fuck anyone who comments on your food purchases. Like I get working at a cvs or wherever is probably a tough, boring job but please god just talk to me about the weather

• MorbidFixation, starjasmine, prince jin and 16 others like this

#8 TheShowMustGoOn

TheShowMustGoOn

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 01:09 PM

At the grocery stores I shop at people are just trying to do there job, so they don’t care. At corner stores or dollar stores I notice thats when people like to chat or mention how they love those cookies or whatever’s in my basket.

I also used to buy a bottle of wine from the same grocery store like every day/ other day. Never got comments on it. Haha.

• chickenkenders likes this
Bubblegum Bitch
2dqvkfr
Flat Tummy & Tight Booty

Height: 5'5"
33-25-36
CW: 120lbs

GW's: 120lbs, 115lbs, 110lbs, 107lbs  

UGW:100lbs

"I was naive

Your love was like candy
Artificially sweet
I was deceived by the wrapping
Got caught in your web
And I learned how to bleed
I was prey in your bed
And devoured completely"

#9 ForeverDieting

ForeverDieting

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1942 posts
  • LocationA gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane

Posted 06 October 2020 - 01:44 PM

While I was getting a b/p haul some years ago, the lady at check out did comment on how many sweets and junk food I was purchasing. Like half a cart full of junk.

I'm not really sure how judgy judgy she was really being, because she did say that it all looked too good, and she wished she could have it all herself. Maybe it had to do with the fact that I was quite at a low weight back then and she got jealous, and thought I could get away with eating nothing but crap and still be skinny.
But it made me feel like shit. Like, ma'am, I'm not enjoying this, I'm really disgusted with myself, and this is a freaking nightmare I can't break free from :(

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk
  • *ella, Minnnd.slayer, ZombieBoy and 5 others like this

#10 Daintykatie

Daintykatie

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 09 October 2020 - 01:11 AM

lol whenever someone comments on how much i'm eating i blame it on my period which i don't get anymore

Same hahaha haven't had a period in 2 years but always my go to excuse

• 70kgdaydream, 0pustyleb and LikeMyBody like this

#11 Glorificus

Glorificus

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationSunnydale, looking for my key

Posted 09 October 2020 - 09:46 AM

It's wildly unprofessional to make any remarks about a customer's purchases

I worked at a supermarket while I was at uni & wouldn't have dreamt of saying anything

Had an alcoholic guy who'd come in first thing & buy a big bottle of sherry, then he'd come back at lunch for the same again, then at about 5pm - same again. Every single day without fail.

He'd always come to my till as I was the cigarette kiosk/lotto ticket chick too - if I'd have said 'ooh, you love your booze don't you, you know it's bad for you, yeah?' I'd have been quite rightly sacked
  • FallenFromTheStars, *ella, Valar Morghulis and 7 others like this

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

“You should stay away from your potential. I mean, that is something you should leave absolutely alone! You’ll mess it up! It’s potential, leave it!

And anyway, it’s like your bank balance, you know – you always have much less than you think. Leave it as the locked door within yourself and then at least, in your mind, the interior will always be palatial; wonderful, gleaming marble floors, brocaded drapes, mullioned windows covered in mullions whatever they are.

Flamingos serving drinks, pianos shooting out canapes into the mouths of elegant men and women.

Don’t open the door. Because it won’t be like that.

All you’re going to see will be one tiny, grey, starveling little cat with diarrhoea, sitting on a mattress-less iron-sprung bed with its huge eyes mewing at you,

Smoking as well, probably.

As an emphysemic landlady untangles her pop socks in the background, and some terrible guy the colour of an aubergine rounds the corner holding a mug of beef tea wearing a string vest.

That’s your potential"

- Dylan Moran

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

IxfVu9z.gif

8ewg2dY.gif

#12 ArCeMo

ArCeMo

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2305 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia

Posted 09 October 2020 - 10:27 AM

Someone once asked my why the fuck I was buying 20 packs of pineapple gum individually yet still paying with cash... that was a valid question on their part

HW: 130 lbs
LW: 101 lbs
CW: 106 lbs
GW: 98 lbs
UGW1: 89 lbs
UGW2: 84 lbs

#13 sickofthishell

sickofthishell

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Locationhell body

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:05 PM

not exactly the same thing but i ended up getting addicted to alcohol because it helped me deal with the hell that is b/p. a grocery store worker once saw me buying a 6-pack two days in a row and was like "i thought you bought that yesterday" and i was just like "oh yeah haha my boyfriend drank it all" ugh. it feels worse when i buy junk food along with something pathetic like ramen or a bunch of snacks and i feel like the cashier is judging me

• Lovelylittleflower likes this

they/them

5'4"

HW: 123

CW: 98.4 bmi 16.8

LW: 98

UGW: ~90

✩ can't go a damn day without a trip to the grocery store 

#14 PurpleSkyez

PurpleSkyez

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:12 PM

I'm a cashier, and I would never say anything about people buying their junk food because I do it too, but I do kinda think things to myself, like I always wonder if they're keeping it down or not... When I'm shopping for binge food I always go to self check out if available

:ph34r: I Refuse To Become What You Call Normal :ph34r:

#15 Power_tripp

Power_tripp

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 11:08 PM

All. Of. The. Time. 

It pisses me off soooo much because I used to work at a grocery store. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO COMMENT ON WHAT PEOPLE PURCHASE. EVER. 

At a gas station buying mini crullers and a large fountain drink "Come on now you need a healthier breakfast than that" It's like... hey dude, you don't know me. I've already ran 6 miles today and been up since 6am. its 11:30am now, it's not breakfast anymore dumbass. 

Just recently at target, I had some douchy old guy literally wait until I was done with self check out to comment on how "You must really have the munchies today" which REALLY pissed me off because I wasn't even buying munchies, I was buying flour and sugar.

IDK why, I am super anxiety driven and anti social, but because I smile all the time (nervousness) I think it invites people to make invasive small talk.  

Blerrrghtghgrhgjdklvasthnisoah Grr. 

• MorbidFixation and prince jin like this

#16 Balancing_Act

Balancing_Act

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 25 October 2020 - 11:56 PM

Two summers ago I went through a period of time where I was practically living off halo top. The Safeway near me had a sale on them so I would go in a couple times a week and stock up. I go here frequently so they kinda know me, or at least recognize me. I got the one clerk who’s probably 6’7 or so and he’s on the larger side. ( not trying to be mean or body shame, I’m just trying to describe the story). While he was scanning them he said “ you really buy these!? I couldn’t even try it, 180calories pfft. Here, I’ll put them back for you and get you a (I don’t remember the name of ice cream he gave) it would taste way better!”

I just stood there shocked but gave a very forced “haahaa..” and he just started scanning them again. Now every time I see him at a till I’ll always go to a different one.

• 70kgdaydream likes this

#17 meandmyself

meandmyself

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3749 posts
  • LocationCamp idontwannaeat

Posted 26 October 2020 - 12:15 AM

A guy cashier told me the protein bars I was buying were worse for me than a Big Mac. I wanted so bad to say “I’m a recovering bulimic and these are a safe food thanks for the triggering remark though”
  • *ella, MorbidFixation, starjasmine and 2 others like this

"Put on some lipstick and pull yourself together." - Elizabeth Taylor

tumblr_mg617rKWXD1s2p2w6o1_500.gif                      

19.2.gif

19.gif

tumblr_m26srkw8q81r0v9mwo1_500.gif

tumblr_mkwjtqskpu1s114mpo1_1280.jpg    tumblr_m86gp2Basd1r0apv4o1_r1_500.gif

#18 Caffeinequeen19

Caffeinequeen19

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1381 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:20 AM

I bought a bunch of lax one time (I know that’s not food but I may have gotten binge food with it I don’t remember) and the lady goes “just don’t take them all at once.” like HOW DID U KNOWW

#19 snork

snork

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1935 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 02:05 AM

In 2016 a cashier said "on a diet are we?" When I bought marshmallows and a tub of frosting ://

A few weeks ago one of my coworkers were ringing me up and said "seems like everyones buying comfort food in quarantine" in a really judgy way like... leave me tf alone

Sent from my bathroom floor while using Tapatalk

"𝗜 𝘄𝗮𝗻𝘁 𝘁𝗼 𝗳𝗲𝗲𝗹 𝗺𝘆 𝗯𝗼𝗻𝗲𝘀 𝗼𝗻 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗯𝗼𝗻𝗲𝘀͵𝗯𝗮𝗯𝘆
𝗜 𝗮𝗺 𝗮 𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻𝗮𝗴𝗲 𝗱𝗿𝗮𝗺𝗮 𝗾𝘂𝗲𝗲𝗻
𝗜 𝘁𝗵𝗿𝗼𝘄 𝗺𝘆 𝗴𝘂𝘁𝘀 𝘂𝗽 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘀𝗲𝗹𝗳⎯𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗺
𝗜𝘁 𝗵𝗮𝘂𝗻𝘁𝘀 𝗺𝘆 𝗱𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗺𝘀
𝗜𝘁 𝗵𝗮𝘂𝗻𝘁𝘀 𝗺𝘆 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆 𝗱𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗺
𝗘𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆 𝗯𝗼𝘆 𝘄𝗮𝗻𝘁𝘀 𝗮 𝗯𝗼𝗱𝘆 𝘁𝗼 𝗱𝗶𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿
𝗔𝗻𝗱 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆 𝗴𝗶𝗿𝗹 𝘄𝗵𝗼ʹ𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻 𝗶𝘀 𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗿𝗶𝘃𝗮𝗹" 
 ( He / Him pronouns)

ED Playlist

snermk3

#20 LNLThin

LNLThin

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 26 October 2020 - 09:25 AM

I live in a small village with only two small shops. The man at the checkout made several snide comments to me over a few weeks about how much I was buying so in the end I just said ‘It all ends in the toilet one way or another’ 🤷🏻‍♀️. I’m past the point of caring what people think tbh.
  • *ella, prince jin, Hygge. and 4 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users