Anyone else had clerks say something about food purchases? - Page 2 - Bulimia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Anyone else had clerks say something about food purchases?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 Iceicebby

Iceicebby

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1986 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:22 PM

2 months ago the cashier said, while I was paying "you've got to be kidding me"
I bought oats, jam and sauce
Until this day I wonder if it was directed at me
And why she said it
It still bothers me, was my purchase wrong???

hw: 99 lbs/45 kg

cw: 78 lbs, 35 smth kg, fy recovery

lw: 60 lbs, 27 kg

ugw: 0

5'4

#22 greyhoundsnout

greyhoundsnout

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1257 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:35 PM

I used to live next door to a gas station and I'd come in weekly for b/p foods. Pizza, a jar of icing, chips, a pint of ice cream, whatever else. And I did this for a couple months before the clerk would see me and go "another junk food day?" Made me stop that weekly ritual real quick.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
  • prince jin and snork like this

#23 magnolie

magnolie

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2529 posts
  • LocationLand of Elks and Wallflowers

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:43 PM

I have a very rigid eating pattern, eat the same foods for months. At one time I was totally into apples and bought a bag every day. So the clerk finally goes, looking at me with his watery bulging frog-eyes: "You seem to really like apples". To a normal person that would probably go unnoticed but to me it was horrible - I didn't ask for his stupid opinion about what I like or don't like, I want to be in stealth mode when I'm shopping, invisible preferably. This very clerk then became manager of the store and remained there for years until he finally quit for another job.

Another time a customer asked me as I was loading my groceries what I was going to do with all the broccoli I had bought (that was during my broccoli-period). I looked at her with a reaper-face and said tonelessly "Imma eat it". She paused for a second and then replied "oh, what a clever answer". ...ugh...

• *ella, nevernotmoody, 70kgdaydream and 1 other like this

#24 littleghost666

littleghost666

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 27 October 2020 - 12:18 AM

Oof yes.
One time I was in Downtown LA staying at an air BNB in a terrible fucking mood, decided to binge while my ex djed a club and I stayed in alone

Bought a bunch of Jack in the box
Then went to gas station and bought like 10 things, basically every sugary thing I wanted

The cashier looked at me and kind of like pity/sad said, it's a little much don't you think?
I fucking died inside
I was so humiliated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 70kgdaydream likes this

=^-^= *I want to be fucking skinny again * =^-^=

stats:

27/f

5'7"

cw: fat??? no scale :(

lw: 102 lb (2019)

gw1: 125 lb

ugw: 115 lb

#25 peach dreams

peach dreams

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1985 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 12:20 AM

I go to the same 7-eleven all the time so I'll get like "oh is this aaaaaaall today?" or "you get so many two liter bottles of soda"

Same!! The cashier's at my local 7-11 know me and I think they all hate me. They definitely judge me. I can tell. There's only one that's nice to me lmao
  • eatliketheabnegation and Hygge. like this

#26 meandmyself

meandmyself

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3749 posts
  • LocationCamp idontwannaeat

Posted 27 October 2020 - 01:00 AM

And why she said it

Maybe she just remembered she left a candle lit at her house or something haha
  • chickenkenders likes this

"Put on some lipstick and pull yourself together." - Elizabeth Taylor

tumblr_mg617rKWXD1s2p2w6o1_500.gif                      

19.2.gif

19.gif

tumblr_m26srkw8q81r0v9mwo1_500.gif

tumblr_mkwjtqskpu1s114mpo1_1280.jpg    tumblr_m86gp2Basd1r0apv4o1_r1_500.gif

#27 Iceicebby

Iceicebby

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1986 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 01:49 AM

Maybe she just remembered she left a candle lit at her house or something haha

Idkkk and I really wish I would know why she said that and if it really was directed at me
It's been two months and it still bothers me lmao

Gesendet von meinem M2002J9G mit Tapatalk
  • meandmyself and BrilletA like this

5'4

#28 70kgdaydream

70kgdaydream

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 October 2020 - 02:21 AM

Idkkk and I really wish I would know why she said that and if it really was directed at me
It's been two months and it still bothers me lmao

maybe she was just talking to herself? And didn’t realise she said something out loud

#29 70kgdaydream

70kgdaydream

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 October 2020 - 02:24 AM

The only time someone has commented on it, it was a pack of Monster Ultra’s and the clerk was like “you know that artificial sugar makes you gain more weight than real sugar” and i’m like??? no it doesn’t??? its not the healthiest thing, but it sure as hell doesn’t make you gain weight. Uneducated people are really out here giving unsolicited advice.

I know what that person meant some people say artificial sweeteners make you gain weight but that’s a lie I’ve never gained weight from them ever

#30 starjasmine

starjasmine

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 02:46 AM

Oof yes.
One time I was in Downtown LA staying at an air BNB in a terrible fucking mood, decided to binge while my ex djed a club and I stayed in alone

Bought a bunch of Jack in the box
Then went to gas station and bought like 10 things, basically every sugary thing I wanted

The cashier looked at me and kind of like pity/sad said, it's a little much don't you think?
I fucking died inside
I was so humiliated

So fucking rude!!!!!

I live near there and just tonight and the delivery guy commented twice on how much 7/11 stuff I ordered. Lol

Usually I’ll get comments assuming I have the munchies, which is also often true lmao

Food comments need to die 🙃
  • littleghost666 and StyxStyxStyx like this

#31 MindreAna

MindreAna

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3491 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 02:46 AM

I’ve had clerks make some small comment or other, makes me not want to go there and it would force me into a routine of going to a further away store, and I’ve had a clerk loudly declare “she’s a regular” and ushered me ahead of another person in line even though I had a full basket to their few items in hand. That’s definitely not the kind of attention I want when I’m already self conscious about all the food I buy.
  • 70kgdaydream and snork like this

#32 MindreAna

MindreAna

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3491 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 02:55 AM

And why she said it

I bet it had nothing to do with you, a few weeks ago I was in a restaurant bathroom, someone had just spilled on me in the restaurant and when I went into the restroom to clean up 3 women were talking in there about whatever, I wasn’t listening because I was so in my head about getting the stain out and just as they were exiting the restroom I said out loud to myself about my situation “Jesus fucking Christ” that I had to deal with someone spilling on me and the ladies 100% thought I was making commentary on their conversation because I then overhead them right outside the door saying “OMG did you hear her say jfc to us so rude” etc.

Sometimes people talk out loud to themselves and the timing gets real weird for anyone who hears it thinking it was directed at them!

#33 Iceicebby

Iceicebby

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1986 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 03:12 AM

I bet it had nothing to do with you, a few weeks ago I was in a restaurant bathroom, someone had just spilled on me in the restaurant and when I went into the restroom to clean up 3 women were talking in there about whatever, I wasn’t listening because I was so in my head about getting the stain out and just as they were exiting the restroom I said out loud to myself about my situation “Jesus fucking Christ” that I had to deal with someone spilling on me and the ladies 100% thought I was making commentary on their conversation because I then overhead them right outside the door saying “OMG did you hear her say jfc to us so rude” etc.

Sometimes people talk out loud to themselves and the timing gets real weird for anyone who hears it thinking it was directed at them!

Yeah it probably was like that anyway
It was just weird

• MindreAna likes this

5'4

#34 beforetime

beforetime

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:27 AM

last time i got b/p food at the dollar store the cashier said "getting all the snacks huh?" i just started at her through my mask...  <_<

#35 70kgdaydream

70kgdaydream

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 October 2020 - 05:11 AM

I bought a bunch of lax one time (I know that’s not food but I may have gotten binge food with it I don’t remember) and the lady goes “just don’t take them all at once.” like HOW DID U KNOWW

Ooof this is a vibe

• Caffeinequeen19 likes this

#36 Valar Morghulis

Valar Morghulis

Omniscient

• Supporter
  • 5081 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 05:17 AM

I used to be a cashier and I was very strict with my colleagues not to make any comments on what people buy. I once got really mad when a colleague asked a costumer if they were having a party. I heard some awkwardness and I knew what it meant. So I turned around when the customer was gone and explained him that you should NOT comment on what people buy. Because eating disorders are real and comments like these can be triggering, even though the intention is good and you just want to be social. You can do that in other ways.

So no, I've never said anything about what they bought, except for the one time someone bought a complete vegan starter kitBecause seeing fellow vegans in the wild used to be pretty rare.

• OKaP, 70kgdaydream and StyxStyxStyx like this

<3

#37 OKaP

OKaP

The Puking Lady OKaP

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12622 posts
  • LocationTrying to line my cow patties in a row.

Posted 29 October 2020 - 06:19 AM

I used to be a cashier and I was very strict with my colleagues not to make any comments on what people buy. I once got really mad when a colleague asked a costumer if they were having a party. I heard some awkwardness and I knew what it meant. So I turned around when the customer was gone and explained him that you should NOT comment on what people buy. Because eating disorders are real and comments like these can be triggering, even though the intention is good and you just want to be social. You can do that in other ways.

So no, I've never said anything about what they bought, except for the one time someone bought a complete vegan starter kitBecause seeing fellow vegans in the wild used to be pretty rare.

they sell vegan starter kits in stores???

• 70kgdaydream and Keepitsecret? like this

Recent brain damage, please play nice—if I said something wrong, just let me know.

giphy.gif

#I-will-not-be-taking-constructive-criticism-on-this-theory

I'm empty, and I don't know how to be full.

#38 Valar Morghulis

Valar Morghulis

Omniscient

• Supporter
  • 5081 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:28 AM

they sell vegan starter kits in stores??

No hahaha I wish. The person bought something that COULD be it though. Basket full of fruit/veg, meat replacements, plant milk, etc

• OKaP and 70kgdaydream like this

<3

#39 OKaP

OKaP

The Puking Lady OKaP

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12622 posts
  • LocationTrying to line my cow patties in a row.

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:31 AM

No hahaha I wish. The person bought something that COULD be it though. Basked full of fruit/veg, meat replacements, plant milk, etc

aww, darn. well that's still really cool!

To answer OP's question, I get the occasional, "you're hungry today, aren't you?" but the one time that really stung was buying food from my on campus convenience store when I was in college.  She asked, "if you're going to buy that much, why don't you just go to (grocery store you have to drive to)?" It wasn't even a lot, just enough for a couple guests. And It was across the street from my dorm, and I had been gaining weight and not wanting people to see me,  that's why. Still stings. Still mad at myself for not saying anything back. 

Recent brain damage, please play nice—if I said something wrong, just let me know.

giphy.gif

#I-will-not-be-taking-constructive-criticism-on-this-theory

I'm empty, and I don't know how to be full.

#40 MmeFate

MmeFate

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1016 posts
  • LocationMiddle Earth

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:52 AM

"Having a party tonight" or maybe "Looks like you've got plans for a good night ;)" .. shit like that. But most binges I've gone with my ex or sent him by himself so it looks more shared and was essentially. I am very harsh on myself no matter if I'm LW or HW or inbetween... I can sneak some treats in but I need majority of my cart to look purposeful.. veggies, eggs etc, what a freak I am, like anyone even gives a fuck what I buy but whatever lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users