Anyone else had clerks say something about food purchases? - Page 3 - Bulimia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Anyone else had clerks say something about food purchases?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#41 70kgdaydream

70kgdaydream

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 31 October 2020 - 08:31 AM

"Having a party tonight" or maybe "Looks like you've got plans for a good night ;)" .. shit like that. But most binges I've gone with my ex or sent him by himself so it looks more shared and was essentially. I am very harsh on myself no matter if I'm LW or HW or inbetween... I can sneak some treats in but I need majority of my cart to look purposeful.. veggies, eggs etc, what a freak I am, like anyone even gives a fuck what I buy but whatever lol

Wow the tea. At least you had someone to blame your big food purchases on being single it’s hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • MmeFate likes this

#42 MmeFate

MmeFate

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1016 posts
  • LocationMiddle Earth

Posted 31 October 2020 - 11:15 AM

Wow the tea. At least you had someone to blame your big food purchases on being single it’s hard.

Yeah for real haha single again now so I guess one good thing about my shame is I buy less alone XD also get very nervous about parting with my money now haha. Happy Halloween btw :)

#43 NobodyDoll

NobodyDoll

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1304 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 02:55 PM

Honestly fuck anyone who comments on your food purchases. Like I get working at a cvs or wherever is probably a tough, boring job but please god just talk to me about the weather

Yea, but the vast majority of them are just trying to make friendly small talk. Are they supposed to just assume that everyone buying food is ashamed of it?
  • NotPeachyFine likes this

#44 NobodyDoll

NobodyDoll

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1304 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 02:58 PM

The cashier doesn't know how many people you might live with.

#45 Scoobertishangry

Scoobertishangry

wildly inappropriate soup whore

• Accountability access
  • 1121 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 07:10 PM

Yep last week was buying lots of binge food and the guy asked me how many people I was going to be sharing it with, just wanted the ground to swallow me up

#46 70kgdaydream

70kgdaydream

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 31 October 2020 - 07:34 PM

Mine do unfortunately because ive been shopping there for a long time like 6+ years they know my whole family

#47 LunarKxtten

LunarKxtten

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Neverland

Posted 01 November 2020 - 02:56 AM

I work with kids and do the shopping for their breakfast/afternoon tea, and constantly have people commenting on what's in my trolley at the supermarket. 

'no wonder there's no bread left'

'where does she put it all?'

'she must be hungry'

'you know those are bad for you'

'you must really like chips/bread/whatever other food they can see'

'that's a lot of ceral'

• 70kgdaydream likes this

#48 MindreAna

MindreAna

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3491 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 05:12 AM

In my local supermarket they all do, the owner says hello, as does the vegetable restocking guys, the wine guy is conversational with my SO, the cheese, freshly prepped salads and meat counter people ask if want the usual before I speak, the check out clerks very much know SO and I are together but nearly always shop separately. It’s awkward. They can prob tell when SO is buying items for me if I don’t go because our food preferences are so different.

That’s a medium/large supermarket in a big city and I go about 4 times a week, my SO goes there at least once a day.
  • 70kgdaydream and nayeons like this

#49 workingonstarving

workingonstarving

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2416 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 01 November 2020 - 05:31 AM

last time i got b/p food at the dollar store the cashier said "getting all the snacks huh?"

I get that too. I go to the walgreens by my apartments white a bit to get binge food at any hour. 😫
  • 70kgdaydream likes this

#50 bulimiasbxtch

bulimiasbxtch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 06:12 AM

All the time, especially since i always buy the same things. I used to try and alternate shops but i dont really give a fuck anymore so just go to the one closest to my house, sometimes multiple times a day lol. The staff have stopped commenting at this point and they just look at me with pity...buying £30 worth of cookies, chocolate, instant noodles and antacids every day is hardly subtle so im sure they know. As i say, dont care. I used to be so embarrassed and make up lies about throwing a party or baking for my friends but ive realised I will never see them outside of the shop so fuck it hahah. 

• Lovelylittleflower likes this

┈┏━╮╭━┓┈╭━━━━╮

┈┃┏┗┛┓┃╭┫ⓞⓘⓝⓚ┃
┈╰┓▋▋┏╯╯╰━━━━╯
╭━┻╮╲┗━━━━╮╭╮┈
┃▎▎┃╲╲╲╲╲╲┣━╯┈
╰━┳┻▅╯╲╲╲╲┃┈┈┈
┈┈╰━┳┓┏┳┓┏╯┈┈┈
┈┈┈┈┗┻┛┗┻┛┈┈┈┈

#51 itsmysecret_onlymine

itsmysecret_onlymine

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 03:47 AM

I just want to say I've been a cashier for 10 years and if I have ever said anything to anyone that has hurt them about their purchase I am truly sorry

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

#52 Camilo

Camilo

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1035 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 November 2020 - 06:04 AM

no one has ever commented on my purchases, although i can get judgemental stares i no longer care about that.

having been to the US a couple times it seems it’s almost even part of the culture to speak to strangers for no reason. i get it’s mainly out of friendliness but it’s quite different to the UK lol.

#53 tove lo

tove lo

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1269 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 07 November 2020 - 06:22 PM

not exactly the same thing but i ended up getting addicted to alcohol because it helped me deal with the hell that is b/p. a grocery store worker once saw me buying a 6-pack two days in a row and was like "i thought you bought that yesterday" and i was just like "oh yeah haha my boyfriend drank it all" ugh. it feels worse when i buy junk food along with something pathetic like ramen or a bunch of snacks and i feel like the cashier is judging me

Wow I'm shocked reading all these judgy ass stories. A 6 pack in one night isn't even judgement worthy. This week alone I've polished off like 4 sleeves of mcgillicuddy and half a handle of vodka. Plus some coffee and bailey's. Fuck any worker who comments on people's food/drink purchases.

#54 Salamander

Salamander

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5315 posts
  • LocationMy Treehouse

Posted 07 November 2020 - 08:33 PM

I get comments on my binge hauls all the time. I dont normally feel judged. I think the cashiers are just bored and looking for something to talk about.
  • NotPeachyFine likes this

#55 GrilledCheeseGoblin

GrilledCheeseGoblin

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationMy Lair

Posted 09 November 2020 - 06:12 AM

Haven’t gotten outright comments in a loooong time (I tend to shop at odd ours and bounce around different stores/restaurants to avoid suspicion) but I *hatehatehate* the questioning looks people sometimes give me. I’ll usually give an unprompted “Oh, it’s my turn to get/make dinner for everyone tonight” or “I bet the family/group/crew will love this!” or come up with some (false) event to satiate their curiosity. Always works
27f
sw: fat broke mess
cw: not fat, not broke, still a mess
gw: miss skinny got her shit together

#56 TeenyLittlebee

TeenyLittlebee

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • LocationThe Clouds

Posted 09 November 2020 - 08:09 AM

Whenever I get judgy looks I mention that I'm having a small birthday party and I forgot to pick up some things. At least last night when I got judgy looks from the clerk, I pretended I was a mom who was buying baby snacks bc those yogurt melts give me life. 

CW: 238

1st GW: 200

2nd GW: 185

3rd GW: 150

4th GW: 120

UGW: 110

Sexual Assault and Abuse Survivor ~ Childhood Abuse Survivor

PTSD ~ Bipolar ~ Psychotic something ~ Binge and Purge ~ Insomnia

Celiac

Bee's accountability: https://www.myproana.../#entry73319211

giphy.gif

#57 dinа

dinа

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 09:46 AM

i bought one kilo of milka chocolate and two boxes of diet tea that makes u go to the toilet

... she had to comment in front of everyone

she said ''thats kind of contradictory'' like girl do u know what an eating disorder is 

• Keepitsecret? and StyxStyxStyx like this

cw : 54.5 kg ugw1 : 50 kg ugw2 : 45 kg  height : 169 cm

UA1hzsw.png

me putting the better off alone n unlock it remix by charli xcx featuring kim petras on repeat

#58 It'sPatBaby

It'sPatBaby

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 04:26 PM

Yea, but the vast majority of them are just trying to make friendly small talk. Are they supposed to just assume that everyone buying food is ashamed of it?

Yeah I get that for sure, they're just tryna be human beings. To me it just seems like commenting on how much alcohol someone's buying, like, just keep it to yourself. But I probably only think that because of my raging ED/mental health issues lmao. I don't actually hate those ppl, I just wish I didn't have to be so uncomfy haha I'm baby

#59 Diet_Coke_Head

Diet_Coke_Head

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 931 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 11:24 PM

Only all the fucking time. On "delivery instructions for driver" I literally write "I know its a lot of food mind your business."
  • MorbidFixation, 70kgdaydream, Hanna94 and 1 other like this

#60 favorite thing is monsters

favorite thing is monsters

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 02:23 AM

oh yeah. all sorts of stuff. “going to a party?” “man i wish i could eat like this” “you always come in and get so much stuff. what’s the occasion?” i always say a friend is going through a breakup so i’m getting us comfort food lmao idk why that’s my go to
  • Lovelylittleflower and 70kgdaydream like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users