Anyone else had clerks say something about food purchases? - Page 4 - Bulimia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Anyone else had clerks say something about food purchases?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 wrinklecrease

wrinklecrease

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Locationnew york city

Posted 11 November 2020 - 10:47 AM

My favorite place to shop is Trader Joe's and I love the stuff they have there but DAMN those cashiers comment on my food EVERY TIME I'm there!! I think they are encouraged to do it to hype up their own products, but seriously please just stop. 

• 70kgdaydream and senbei like this

#62 70kgdaydream

70kgdaydream

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 November 2020 - 01:39 PM

Only all the fucking time. On "delivery instructions for driver" I literally write "I know its a lot of food mind your business."

Haha I might have to start doing this also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#63 Hygge.

Hygge.

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2900 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 12:32 AM

I had to invent I was having a breakfast party the next day since I bought like three packs of cookies, milkshakes, five boxes of cereal, Nutella, waffles, etc.

Quite a new low for me.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 8 Pro mediante Tapatalk
  • 70kgdaydream likes this

5,7 ft. SW: 186 CW: 105 (fat af) GW1: 143 GW2: 132 GW3:125 GW4: 118 UGW: ?

Current BMI: 16.1

tumblr_ovtqyp8W3t1w2l6tbo1_500.png

"(...) since the thing perhaps is to eat flowers and not to be afraid."

#64 Saralena

Saralena

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 November 2020 - 03:19 AM

Hey guys, I'm a cashier, and also bulimic, and I'm here to say, we GENUINELY don't care what you're buying, and we're not judging you at all. I'll make comments on my customers purchases all the time, because we're supposed to make small talk with you, and, honestly, our job is so boring it's nice to try and strike up some conversation. Try not to take it to heart, and we're just trying to get through a boring 8 hour minimum wage job and making conversation. 

• Bucky Barnes says hello, reef shark and It'sPatBaby like this

"there's no way out, and a long way down"

Npzmh5X.png

she/her - 25 - 5'5"

HW: 160 lbs / 72.5 kg  

LW: 92 lbs / 41.7 kg 

CW: 98 lbs / 44.4 kg

GW1:  90 lbs / 41 kg

GW2: 88 lbs / 40 kg

NiLshh1.png

#65 Virgin Mary

Virgin Mary

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 November 2020 - 03:06 AM

“having a party?”

• reef shark likes this

sent from ur local dumpster

#66 LittleUnicornCupcakeQueen

LittleUnicornCupcakeQueen

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 08:23 AM

I work in a grocery store, and I buy loads of binge food pretty much every day. And my coworkers always talk to me when I’m buying it, and it baffles me how nobody even remotely catches on. All they say is “wish I had your metabolism “ or something along those lines. Once I was buying restriction foods and I got embarrassed and was like “I buy the most random shit, what the hell haha” and he was like “yeah this is the most random grocery selection” I can just feel when a cashier is questioning why the fuck you’re buying 30 boxes of sugar free jello mix, a case of diet soda and then 8 boxes of snack cakes. I don’t think it’s an unreasonable questioning though

​Height- 5'8"

Highest weight- 138 lbs

Lowest weight 105 lbs

Current Weight- 128 lbs

#67 reef shark

reef shark

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Locationʇlınɓ

Posted 29 November 2020 - 12:50 PM

"is this all for you??" or "looks like someone is having a party" 

EVERY. TIME. BRUH ;-;

Spoiler

Spoiler

she/her || 18

#68 nayeons

nayeons

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Locationstaffordshire moorlands, uk

Posted 29 November 2020 - 04:07 PM

i usually go to supermarkets with self checkouts for b/p food lmao to avoid stuff like this.

last week though, i was replacing a bottle of rum of my mum and stepdad's that i'd half drank, ended up at the checkout that one of my old colleague's uncle was behind. not sure how to feel about this guy - he made a VERY pervy comment to me in work once (his card had declined, so when i was taking drinks to the table next to him i told him he needed to come back the bar and pay. he responded 'if you bend over like that in front of me again i'll pay you anything' lmao) but then he also stuck up for me in my Most Heated Fight ever with a customer. anyway he scanned the rum and said 'you can take the girl out the pub but can't take the pub out the girl', and didn't believe me when i said it wasn't for me lmao. 

(new) accountability

loona4.gif

sarah / uk / 22

i used to be umbreon/hoseok

#69 CICOpath

CICOpath

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1842 posts
  • LocationSOUTH Florida

Posted 29 November 2020 - 04:14 PM

i was a regular at my local drug store for a while, would get embarrassing comments here and there about the stuff i buy..& it's always the same people that work there..idk how i would keep going back too lmao 

i haven't been there in over a year now

literally a few weeks back my mom went & she was like "oh the guy with the long hair asked how you were doing. he said you used to buy candy and chips all the time" 

omfg

also one time as a cashier i met a really nice lady, i noticed she was buying a lot of pastries & bakery things but didn't say anything, we were talking (i forgot about what) & she literally said  "once i get home i'm gonna throw all of this up anyways"  

i think about her 

• MorbidFixation, Lovelylittleflower and 70kgdaydream like this

gallery_212432_64639_5332.png
Waldo Emerson | 03.04.2020

Join the **UPDATED** Unofficial MPA Chat Lobby!

med_gallery_212432_64639_10501.jpg med_gallery_212432_64639_36087.jpg

#70 nayeons

nayeons

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Locationstaffordshire moorlands, uk

Posted 29 November 2020 - 04:18 PM

In my local supermarket they all do, the owner says hello, as does the vegetable restocking guys, the wine guy is conversational with my SO, the cheese, freshly prepped salads and meat counter people ask if want the usual before I speak, the check out clerks very much know SO and I are together but nearly always shop separately. It’s awkward. They can prob tell when SO is buying items for me if I don’t go because our food preferences are so different.

That’s a medium/large supermarket in a big city and I go about 4 times a week, my SO goes there at least once a day.

i love this. pre-corona and when i used to have a car, i'd drive my grandparents to their favourite sainsbury's after my grandad's eyesight got too bad to drive. literally EVERY SINGLE MEMBER OF STAFF knew them and ran over to greet them, it was a big supermarket as well. it was so sweet, a couple of the guys who worked there would stop and have a full chat with them too.

i work in a pub so i'm kinda the same with people who i see everyday, tbh i wouldn't do that job if it wasn't for the people. we've been shut again since late october, and today one of the regulars who i knew lived near me but not exactly where flung open his window and shouted hello and we had a chat whilst i was having a cigarette - turns out he lives directly behind me!

that was longer than it needed but lmao you just reminded me of the shopping trips i took with my grandparents and how much i miss people ahh

(new) accountability

loona4.gif

sarah / uk / 22

i used to be umbreon/hoseok

#71 🌸華奢🌸

🌸華奢🌸

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 05:42 PM

Small talk doesn’t exist where I’m from so it hasn’t really, but some of these comments sound like such awkward situations

-Iconic Golden Threads-

My Pro Anal: https://www.myproana...w-to-myproanal/

Expand Arm: https://www.myproana...657077-ana-arm/

Anorexic Bulmaria Zoe: https://www.myproana...er-story-leaked

To Be Expanded...

#72 spocksoup

spocksoup

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 07:50 PM

today i was so angry and in such a "fuck it" mood that when a cashier gave me the "are you gonna eat all that?" i just gave him a blank ass death stare and said "yes." and did not elaborate. usually i make something up or just pretend to laugh but this made him shut up so fast LMAO

height: 5 ft 7.5 in (171 cm) sw: 136 (bmi 21) cw: probably fluctuating wildly lw: 78 (bmi 12.0) gw: 80 (bmi 12.4) ugw: not having an eating disorder

#73 wiggenweld

wiggenweld

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 November 2020 - 08:42 PM

Not really, although I usually save my binge foods for Costco where everyone buys tons of food, so the cashiers don't comment on it. Sometimes I would get comments like "Throwing a party?" from smaller grocery stores, but I would just tell them "Yeah ... I live out of town ..."

#74 Bigfatsweetpotato420

Bigfatsweetpotato420

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 07:18 AM

This is kind of the opposite but once when I was a cashier, a girl (20ish probably so a few years younger than me) went through my check out lane. She was frantic and buying a few liters of Diet Coke like she just ran out mid binge. Her hair and mascara was a mess and she had vomit on her shirt and I didn’t say anything but I wanted to talk to her so badly

#75 Bigfatsweetpotato420

Bigfatsweetpotato420

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 07:20 AM

But I think I’m known at my dollar tree because I will have phases when I come in every day and they’re like “back again?” And I really don’t gaf and just make conversation with them. In my head, worst case scenario they just think I eat all of this shit or wonder if I’m bulimic and that’s honestly not a big deal to me

#76 LikeMyBody

LikeMyBody

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2107 posts
  • Location🇫🇷 At home, as one should be

Posted 30 November 2020 - 08:44 AM

Not a comment, but a security guy followed me around the store today and I couldn't figure out why. Then I realised that I was dressed in all black, was maniacally pacing around the store with my hands in my pockets, stopping to look at items and then pacing elsewhere to do the same. Don't worry sir, I'm not a thief, just a gal with an ED trying to figure out if I can allow myself a small pack of crackers or should I get Monster Ultra instead.

• MorbidFixation, 70kgdaydream and senbei like this

hvuLp1.png

BMI 19.0 | 167 cm/5’6” | 53 kg/117 lbs

4-FC84-BE5-0-CE7-4-DFC-872-F-7086-AE5549

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users