I am EXTREMELY broke. $80 a month to spend on food. - Vegetarian/Vegan/Raw Food Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

I am EXTREMELY broke. $80 a month to spend on food.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Starvingrussiangirl

Starvingrussiangirl

Sage

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 11:11 AM

So I only have a budge of $80 a month to spend on food. That includes tax. Here is the shopping list I have, but calculating everything out I'd be eating around 400 calories a day everyday for a month. I don't know if I'll be eating or buying the bread, but it is probably at least slightly filling. And sure I don't need so much tea but coffee is too expensive for me, and I'll be working and doing school constantly. Any adjustments that you would reccomend?

I think the soup is what is the most expensive thing here, but I need something low calorie, hot, filling, and fast. I have no cooking equipment and no money to buy any, only a microwave, I'll look at a thrift store for a pot or something. I don't really know how to make low calorie soups that are safe though because the calories are hard to calculate:"(

Frozen strawberry $7.39 64 oz/1792g
(35 days worth if 50g per day)
Oats $2.79 42oz (33 days if 1/3 cup per day)
Eggs $2.69 dozen (7 days if 2 a day) $10.76 per month
Progresso minestrone soup $1.59 ($11.13 for 7 (14 days worth if 1 serving per day)
Almond milk 3.77 (about a week)
Taylor's assam tea 7.58 (50 days)
Taylor's green jasmine tea 5.81 (40 days)
Splenda 3.88 (100 packets)
Saralee bread 2.69 (20 slices) (a month if half a slice each day)
Coke zero 5.00 12pk

Total: $73.52
With tax: $80.872
  • Hime~Chan likes this

#2 impmon

impmon

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8112 posts
  • Locationtexas

Posted 06 October 2020 - 11:18 AM

something to also consider is WHERE you're shopping. obviously situational, but if you live near a dollar tree, they have name brand breads and teas and 100 counts of sucralose, obviously for a dollar. you can freeze bread so you could buy like 3 loaves for the price of 1. they also usually have better sizes for the price bags of berries.

you could also food prep the soup yourself. i buy discount veggies a few times a week from my markets, freeze excess and boil what i'll want this week and put it in tupperwares for soups or adding bulk to meals. walmart and really most big markets constantly put the discount stickers on produce.

also google "discount bread near me" because i have a nature's own branded store by me that sells their fucking $4 loaves, for a fucking dollar. i realized a lot of small cities/big towns have weird baking stores like that

• HateMyselfDaily, Septsys, oujisama and 1 other like this

twatter

5'3/73 lbs/actually worst personality

c1871d71efdbe57cbf14b067d6b54b4cc13a1972

bwoop

please

#3 ArCeMo

ArCeMo

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2305 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia

Posted 06 October 2020 - 01:27 PM

That sounds goods! I think frozen mixed berries are cheaper than pure frozen strawberries if you're interested!

• Starvingrussiangirl likes this

HW: 130 lbs
LW: 101 lbs
CW: 106 lbs
GW: 98 lbs
UGW1: 89 lbs
UGW2: 84 lbs

#4 oujisama

oujisama

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts
  • Locationteyvat

Posted 06 October 2020 - 03:41 PM

Agree about making your own soup. Frozen veggies are going to be cheapest, plus they're fresher because they're frozen when harvested and contain more nutrients which will be beneficial to you considering you'll only have 400kcal per day and with a limited budget, I'm not sure if you can afford vitamins and supplements unless those are budgeted separately or you already have some.

I might suggest you go for store brand 100% whole wheat bread, usually it's 60kcal per slice (dunno if you're ok with that if you were going specifically for sara lee's lowcal bread but Aldi also has a storebrand lowcal bread in that case) and will keep you full longer because it's higher in fiber, and it's cheaper than a brand name like Sara Lee.

For coke zero, i'd also suggest getting store brand diet soda but idk if you prefer coke specifically for some reason.

also, like impmon mentioned, dollar tree has teas, sweeteners, and other items for just $1.

for fruit, if strawberries are what you like, keep that! but if you're willing, perhaps consider a smaller bag of frozen strawberries, and also buy apples and/or bananas. apples last a solid few weeks and bananas are dirt cheap.

also also, eggs are sometimes (it varies though so check your unit prices) cheaper if you buy in a larger pack like 18 or some stores even offer a 32 pack which will save on the overall month cost.

if you manage to get your costs down enough to afford one, i'd recommend getting a can of salmon and having it once a week at least so you aren't entirely lacking in omega-3s which are vital for brain function! you can put a bag around the can and refrigerate it once opened.

hope this helps somewhat, and also that you get in a better spot soon financially

daht2n9-657ce722-bb23-416b-baff-44836ee4

d86kpls-359c10b8-1779-4663-b5ec-7066fd2d Height: 162.5cm - CW: 53.7kg - GW: 44kg - UGW: Happy d72ad6c-f22ee36a-6e1f-4eb7-a1df-f422ac15

My Accountability Thread

#5 CynicalBelle

CynicalBelle

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationAt Stinking Work

Posted 07 October 2020 - 06:24 PM

something to also consider is WHERE you're shopping. obviously situational, but if you live near a dollar tree, they have name brand breads and teas and 100 counts of sucralose, obviously for a dollar. you can freeze bread so you could buy like 3 loaves for the price of 1. they also usually have better sizes for the price bags of berries.

you could also food prep the soup yourself. i buy discount veggies a few times a week from my markets, freeze excess and boil what i'll want this week and put it in tupperwares for soups or adding bulk to meals. walmart and really most big markets constantly put the discount stickers on produce.

also google "discount bread near me" because i have a nature's own branded store by me that sells their fucking $4 loaves, for a fucking dollar. i realized a lot of small cities/big towns have weird baking stores like that

i live on dollar tree frozen veg!

Cupcakes and Tea Bitchez

Could I have a little more salt with that shade?

210 205 200 195 190 185 180 175 170 165 160 155 150 145 140 135 130 125 120 115 110 100 95

HW- 210 July 2019 *

GW1=180 *GW2= 170 GW3 =150 *Pounds lost= 50 *Starting BMI=41.0 *Current BMI=32.3

#6 tove lo

tove lo

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1277 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:02 PM

Idk how you feel about brown rice, but a big bag of it is pretty cheap, and if you have even a small serving it might help keep you full. I'm too lazy to cook it unfortunately haha

#7 Guest_jkhiygiygi_*

Guest_jkhiygiygi_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:37 PM

I think the soup is what is the most expensive thing here, but I need something low calorie, hot, filling, and fast. I have no cooking equipment and no money to buy any, only a microwave, I'll look at a thrift store for a pot or something. I don't really know how to make low calorie soups that are safe though because the calories are hard to calculate:"(

Frozen strawberry $7.39 64 oz/1792g  - try to buy fresh fruits like apples and bananas or look at promotion and freeze them Yourself- apples can be store in pantry or fridge to last longer, it will be cheaper. Or by mix of berries - they usually cost around 2$less.
(35 days worth if 50g per day)
Oats $2.79 42oz (33 days if 1/3 cup per day) - look for the off brand one, i newer saw difference between more and less expensive
Eggs $2.69 dozen (7 days if 2 a day) $10.76 per month - try to buy biggest pack possible
Progresso minestrone soup $1.59 ($11.13 for 7 (14 days worth if 1 serving per day)
Almond milk 3.77 (about a week) - check soy, oat or sunflower milk, can be lot cheaper than almond
Taylor's assam tea 7.58 (50 days)
Taylor's green jasmine tea 5.81 (40 days)
Splenda 3.88 (100 packets)
Saralee bread 2.69 (20 slices) (a month if half a slice each day)
Coke zero 5.00 12pk - recommended not to buy - use money for some veggies 

#8 kizel

kizel

hoochie mama

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • Locationsix feet under

Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:27 PM

If you have a dollar store by you, that’s the place to go. They have frozen fruit, vegetables, nuts, bulk beans, rice, tea, and so much more. You’ll be able to get so much more with just 80$ and have a lot more options of food to have on hand if you go there first to get what you need.

i eat and puke for sport

Zb9STRv.gif

i remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

stats

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Spoiler

struggling

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Spoiler

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐

wondering why i'm still here

└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

#9 AmethystAna

AmethystAna

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4254 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 October 2020 - 09:29 PM

I wish our dollar store had veggies. And it is no longer a dollar but up to 4.

I hope you can get a pot because buying canned beans, soups etc is so expensive compared to making them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

146 145 144 143 142 141 140 139 138 137

136 135 134 133 132 131 130 129 

128 127 126 125 124 123

122 121 120 119 118 

117 116 115 114

113 112 111 

Gluten free-veg*n accountability

#10 whalewatchers

whalewatchers

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1135 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 October 2020 - 09:36 PM

Get off brand when it's cheaper. Check the price between frozen and fresh because the prices vary per season.
You can make a soup in the microwave with frozen or canned veg and broth cubes.
Don't be afriad of food pantries
You may also be able to find deals with local farmers so look/ask around.

ALSO I wouldnt waste money on coke if my food budget were that low but it's your choice.
Height - 5’5”
HW - 320lbs (Jan. 2019)
UGW - 98lbs

#11 I_luv_lucy

I_luv_lucy

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 01:58 PM

id say get like bulk beans because they're protein and filling and probably worth the money?

#12 seeingstarsagain

seeingstarsagain

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1269 posts
  • LocationIndiana, US

Posted 30 October 2020 - 02:56 PM

If ya live somewhere that has them, Aldi is typically where I get a lot of my groceries other than Dollar Tree, and between the two I can usually scrape together my groceries for the next 2-3 months for $65!

I usually will get black beans (either dried or canned, whichever are cheaper at the time.)

Frozen fruit blends

Frozen veggie blends (esp. riced cauliflower, etc.)

Fresh leafy greens - you can rinse and chop them, put them in plastic zip bags, and freeze them for quite awhile. I've kept them frozen as long as 6 months before.

Tofu (if it's on sale and if I have some extra money)

Eggs

Rolled oats, sometimes quick oats if they're that much cheaper.

Canned peaches in water (comfort food for me)

Zevia (if I have the extra money. it's like coke zero but more flavor options)

Nothing factual, nothing fictional, interchangeable

Here in the Digital Paradigm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accountability link - There is no try, only do.

Stats

Spoiler

tumblr_inline_n8o1mjG6Ac1reem51.gif tumblr_inline_n7afguYKBM1reem51.gif  tumblr_inline_n8o1mjG6Ac1reem51.gif

#13 CConfused

CConfused

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 958 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 07:13 AM

Bulk beans
Oats
Bread
Peanut butter
Carrots can be cheap
Frozen vegetables (brocolli's the cheapest, and most nutritious, where I am)
Check Aldi's for the cheapest fruits & vegetables.
If you have an air popper, popcorn is good (you can buy a microwave airpopper at walmart for around 9 dollars).
Tofu
Onion,if you want to make bean soup (assuming you have fridge & storage for it).
It's 2 days after Halloween, so maybe buy a discount pumpkin, before they're all thrown away? Pumpkin is 30 cal a cup, and putting it in the oven in a pan with some water makes it soft enough to eat.
If you can, beg for food money off friends and family. Otherwise? Try to front load your schoolwork while you can still concentrate

#14 Aethisia

Aethisia

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 07:20 PM

I live in the middle of nowhere with hardly any money and there is only one shop where I can go to and they don't carry a lot of food. 80% is non-vegan friendly junk food. There are only three aisles, one is stuffed with junk food, one is stuffed with meat and cheese and the other one is half soft drinks/half fruit and veg. The fruit and veggies they have are mainly overpriced tomatoes and overpriced apples. I usually buy some bananas, rice cakes, rice, potatoes and canned vegetables. That's about all I eat these days. 

My Accountability - Vegan - Runner

Height: 5'8
HW: 165 - BMI: 24.8
CW: 138.4 - BMI: 20.7
GW1: 140 reached November 18th 2020
GW2: 135

#15 AVintagePaperDoll

AVintagePaperDoll

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationGulfport, Mississippi

Posted 22 November 2020 - 02:32 AM

Honey, my first advice is find a dollartree, everything is a dollar. The one near me has large bags of name brand coffee, splenda, sugar and zero cal sweeteners. Dozen of fresh eggs, different types of tea (herbal, green and black) oats, tons of canned soups, I think they may even have frozen bags of fruits and veggies. I know they have JennieO turkey bacon, and veggie burgers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users