Age-Related Change in Mobility: Perspectives From Life Course Epidemiology and Geroscience - Age 40+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Age-Related Change in Mobility: Perspectives From Life Course Epidemiology and Geroscience

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 seasnake

seasnake

Serpent God of Fasting

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17931 posts
  • LocationHouston, we have a problem

Posted 16 October 2020 - 02:01 PM

Age-Related Change in Mobility: Perspectives From Life Course Epidemiology and Geroscience https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4978365/
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2016 Sep; 71(9): 1184–1194.
Published online 2016 Mar 14. doi: 10.1093/gerona/glw043

gerona_glw043_f0001.jpg

Average (and standard errors) annual rates of change of walking speed in men and women participants of the InCHIANTI study according to 5-year age groups at study entry. To address selective attrition, rates of change were estimated by mixed effect models with inverse probability weighting. Three different walking tasks were considered: 4-m walk at usual and fast speed and 400-m walk at fast speed. Rates of change were estimated using data from baseline and 3-, 6-, 9-, and 14-year follow-up. Rates are plotted at the lower age for the interval (eg, 20 is for participants who were 20–25 years old at study entry). Specific values plotted in this figure are reported in Supplementary Tables 1a and b. Description of the performance measures assessed in InCHIANTI and a global description of the InCHIANTI study have been reported elsewhere (134,135).

gerona_glw043_f0002.jpg

Usual walking speed at different ages in Men (n = 711) and Women (n = 766) participants of the Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging.

gerona_glw043_f0003.jpg

World record times for running 5,000 m according to age and sex.

gerona_glw043_f0004.jpg

Hypothetical model of individual versus population trend. Trajectories a–f are from individual subjects, while the red line is the population overall trajectory. At the population level, the critical age for change appears to be around 70, but the ages when critical declines occur (as indicated by the stars) are quite variable across individuals.

• VioletSkyy and shannie like this

I was once told that you are what you eat and then I just cried and cried and cried cause no matter how much I wanted to be one I just couldn't bring myself to eating a skinny person.

My threads:   The Fasting Game    My Fasting Game Spreadsheet    Youtube Exercise Videos (No-Equipment): Organized into Routines    The Whoosh Effect    My Profile    My Pics

#2 shannie

shannie

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2049 posts
  • LocationDown South

Posted 16 October 2020 - 05:17 PM

Hmm, this is interesting. I’ve always been a very fast walker and still am at 54. On the treadmill I walk at 4.6 mph and on the street my pedometer clocks me at 3.4 when I’m exercising and when I’m just walking around the house or out doing errands I’m usually at 2.1 mph.
But from the looks of these graphs, it’s all downhill from here lol !
  • seasnake likes this
Ht. 5'3"
CW 79
BMI 14

LW 78
GW ???

#3 seasnake

seasnake

Serpent God of Fasting

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17931 posts
  • LocationHouston, we have a problem

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:25 PM

Hmm, this is interesting. I’ve always been a very fast walker and still am at 54. On the treadmill I walk at 4.6 mph and on the street my pedometer clocks me at 3.4 when I’m exercising and when I’m just walking around the house or out doing errands I’m usually at 2.1 mph.
But from the looks of these graphs, it’s all downhill from here lol !

50's actually looks pretty good, and going off of these charts, though I guess perhaps things might start changing at mid-50's. I don't quite understand the last chart with the red dashed line representing the average after looking at the charts that came before it which display 60 as being problematic downturn trend.

• shannie likes this

I was once told that you are what you eat and then I just cried and cried and cried cause no matter how much I wanted to be one I just couldn't bring myself to eating a skinny person.

My threads:   The Fasting Game    My Fasting Game Spreadsheet    Youtube Exercise Videos (No-Equipment): Organized into Routines    The Whoosh Effect    My Profile    My Pics

#4 shannie

shannie

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2049 posts
  • LocationDown South

Posted 16 October 2020 - 09:05 PM

I choose to believe the one that says 70 is the downturn! :)
  • seasnake likes this
Ht. 5'3"
CW 79
BMI 14

LW 78
GW ???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users