Anorexics, what's your locus of control score? - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Anorexics, what's your locus of control score?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 DistressedOrange

DistressedOrange

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:26 AM

I'm a psychology student and I was wondering if there was any correlation between locus of control scores and anorexia specifically, since we've all heard the stereotype that anorexics are control freaks.

The main premise of the test is that a lower score indicates that you're more internal (you believe you're in control of your own actions and destiny) while a higher score indicates that your mindset is more external (you believe you have less control over your life and blame outside forces more.)

Feel free to post your scores below!

The test:

http://www.psych.unc...trol-intro.html
  • stkitty likes this
"The moment you become aware of the ego in you, it is strictly speaking no longer the ego, but just an old, conditioned mind pattern. Ego implies unawareness. Awareness and ego cannot coexist."

"Woman was God's second mistake." -Nietzsche

"A house is just a place to keep your stuff while you go out and get more stuff." -George Carlin

157cm/5'2"
BMI 16

Sugar Detox Accountability:

https://www.myproana...key-yes-really/

#2 boneyardangel

boneyardangel

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Locationthe local cemetery

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:29 AM

5!

༶•┈🕸⛧┈┈•༶

173 cm (5'8) 

CW: 66.2 kgs (146.8 lbs) BMI: 22,1

GW1: 55 kgs (121 lbs) BMI: 18,4

GW2: 53 kgs (116 lbs) BMI: 17,7

GW3: 50 kgs (110 lbs) BMI: 16,7

༶•┈⛧​🕸​​⛧┈┈•༶

''and his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...''

#3 MindreAna

MindreAna

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3327 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:47 AM

I got a 3, but I found that many questions were not mutually exclusive propositions, in many cases I believed both options to be true or almost equally important factors to consider.

I think I’m much more measured than my score indicates because I don’t think in a black and white manner but some options were worded kind of stupidly so I just went with the more “controlled” option.

For example item 11) starts out well and good but then the counter option dwindles down to believing not to plan ahead too far because 🤷‍♀️ matter of luck 🤷‍♀️ whereas I would say plans can and do often change due to legit Reasons rather than luck so for That reason I wouldn’t make set plans too too far ahead.

Or item 9) both of these options are absolutely true, they don’t cancel each other out, hard work AND being at the right place at the right time both matters to a persons success. I don’t get how these options can be posed against each other.

There are more like this. So I didn’t think it was a very well formulated test. I felt it forced me to answer in ways that didn’t represent my beliefs.
  • apalebluedot, Desiderata, smurfie and 15 others like this

#4 Hanna94

Hanna94

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • LocationNorthern Europe

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:49 AM

• PeachyThin612 and indianab0nes like this

#5 skinnydreams2212

skinnydreams2212

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:49 AM

I got a 5 too!

#6 I'm Vegan btw

I'm Vegan btw

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:03 AM

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk
  • PeachyThin612 likes this

#7 inconspicuous

inconspicuous

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:09 AM

1 lol

• stkitty likes this

tumblr_ogt0cdKILF1voyoe2o1_500.gif

~

relapsing 

bmi 16.1

ed spotify playlist

#8 Thinnestgirl

Thinnestgirl

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:09 AM

12 ~ yikes why is mine so high??

4c63990f282b800017f6fe56b8bcb5e5.gif

:wub:

#9 DistressedOrange

DistressedOrange

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 943 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:15 AM

I got a 3, but I found that many questions were not mutually exclusive propositions, in many cases I believed both options to be true or almost equally important factors to consider.
I think I’m much more measured than my score indicates because I don’t think in a black and white manner but some options were worded kind of stupidly so I just went with the more “controlled” option.
For example item 11) starts out well and good but then the counter option dwindles down to believing not to plan ahead too far because ‍♀ matter of luck ‍♀ whereas I would say plans can and do often change due to legit Reasons rather than luck so for That reason I wouldn’t make set plans too too far ahead.
Or item 9) both of these options are absolutely true, they don’t cancel each other out, hard work AND being at the right place at the right time both matters to a persons success. I don’t get how these options can be posed against each other.
There are more like this. So I didn’t think it was a very well formulated test. I felt it forced me to answer in ways that didn’t represent my beliefs.

I got the same score as you and also found myself equally frustrated when taking it myself. It is quite an old test and was originally intended to be used to measure how obedient someone is likely to be. They found that people who scored lower tended to be less obedient and less conformist, for example. But yeah there are a lot of methodological problems when it comes to gathering survey data like that with limited nuance, since most people's views aren't that one sided. What I did was pick the option closest to my view and where I leaned more (I'm rarely completely neutral on a topic) instead of looking for one that matched my views exactly, since close ended questions rarely do. Hope that helps!
  • narcissistist likes this
"The moment you become aware of the ego in you, it is strictly speaking no longer the ego, but just an old, conditioned mind pattern. Ego implies unawareness. Awareness and ego cannot coexist."

"Woman was God's second mistake." -Nietzsche

"A house is just a place to keep your stuff while you go out and get more stuff." -George Carlin

157cm/5'2"
BMI 16

Sugar Detox Accountability:

https://www.myproana...key-yes-really/

#10 xsMadeline

xsMadeline

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:30 AM

In a couple cases I didn't agree with either statement, so I just had to choose the one that I disagreed with the least.

For example:

"The idea that teachers are unfair to students is nonsense."

Most of the teachers I had were fair, but obviously there are plenty of teachers out there who don't treat their students fairly.

"Most students don't realize the extent to which their grades are influenced by accidental happenings."

I think most students' grades (relative to the grades of their classmates) are based on the amount of effort they put in and, to a lesser degree, their intellect.

The first statement felt less wrong to me so that's what I chose.

• AmethystAna, FragileBat31 and stkitty like this

♡ ᴍᴀᴅᴇʟɪɴᴇ ♡

ᴀɴ-ʀ

ᴄᴡ 110 · ʙᴍɪ 16.2

ɢᴡ 105 · ʙᴍɪ 15.5

5'9

ᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ

#11 peachless

peachless

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Locationscandi

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:32 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 dandan

dandan

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:38 AM

#13 Gilraen

Gilraen

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:50 AM

weight.png

Height: 1.68m
SW:63
CW:56.7
GW:55
GW2:52
UGW: 50kg

#14 meee

meee

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:57 AM

They yell at me because I can't see what they see. Nobody can explain to me why my eyes work different than theirs. Nobody can make it stop.

Going through massive relapse atm... after being "recovered" from bulimia-stopped binging and puring cuz it led me to highest bmi

AN, BPD, PTSD, panic and anxiety disorder, depression, self harmer

height: 167.5cm /5*6

HW: 89kg/198lbs (32)

LW: 48. 7kg/107lbs (17.4)

CW: 48.7kg/107lbs (17.4)

GW1: 48(106lbs (17.1)

GW2: 46kg/101lbs (16.3)

GW3: 44kg/97lbs (15.7)

85ec0fd57537580e50a244cd7c989bab.png<p>NOT NATIVE AMERICAN SPEAKER

#15 sushimi

sushimi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:57 AM

#16 Septsys

Septsys

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:58 AM

#17 clly721

clly721

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:59 AM

12?! Lmao why is it such a high number??

#18 Lurker112

Lurker112

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:11 AM

Even on the first question I struggled.

“Many of the unhappy things in people's lives are partly due to bad luck

People's misfortunes result from the mistakes they make.”

It was hard to answer with no context whatsoever. Something like genetic ill health would be bad luck. A teenager joins a gang and ends up getting stabbed, that would be a misfortune from the mistake that they made.

083c2b5be5e2d70921bcc24f5f6046cc.gif

tumblr_o2ugq1NI7K1uapyj2o1_500.gif

tumblr_mvvfl5AEsS1r3z3s3o1_500.gif

tumblr_ms74t2z2j21stdovvo1_500.gif

#19 𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓼𝓽𝓪𝓼𝓲𝓪

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓼𝓽𝓪𝓼𝓲𝓪

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1290 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:20 AM

#20 tristogsyk

tristogsyk

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1049 posts
  • Locationwishing i was in france

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:35 AM

i got 10. but personally, i am completely nonconformist lol. so as for me being more likely to conform isn't accurate in my everyday life. the test seemed,,,, very irrelevant in a way? in fact, i thought that most of the nonconformist answers were conformist answers, they sounded like the type of things extreme right winged people say if im honest, very bootlicking and uncompassionate to misfortunes outside of peoples control.

i am nonconformist but i crave deep control within my own personal life. but i also recognise there are forces in this world that are built to be unfair, something the test didn't take into consideration. i think life isn't as black and white as the test perhaps believes it to be. for most of the answers, my beliefs lay in between the two. because while yes, you do have control of your life for the most part, sometimes things just happen. you cannot control death, illness, tragedy etc. life is neither completely controllable, nor is it a whirlwind of chaos. and recognising the manmade forces in this world that suppress people don't make me a conformist. because the test seems to only apply within a world that isn't riddled with human intervention. humans have created barriers for other humans. some people simply cannot overcome their circumstances and it has nothing to do with the will power to do so. it's delusional to go about the world thinking that we are free to overrule everything and everyone without resistance. 

for example in question 10 the "nonconformist" answer sounded quite delusional. especially given this day and age and the current world events. i think we all know the people in power in this world are the few and privileged. i think you are right, it is an outdated test. personally, i don't know how relevant it is concerning eating disorders, since it seemed to outlaw any sense of human depth in a way. because i think you can recognise that there are forces in the world beyond your control and also take your life into you are hands. nonetheless, it was really interesting. 

• ilull9full, j4nel4ne and narcissistist like this

6'ft

GW: 57kg 

ad8e1d7ba0ee95652581963bb5f771ca.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users