Anorexics, what's your locus of control score? - Page 2 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Anorexics, what's your locus of control score?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 Ghost in the Machine

Ghost in the Machine

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:43 AM

I got 13 :/
Stuck on the AN bus since 2012

BMI: 17.8
CW: 101lbs
Original GW: 105lbs
New GW: 99lbs

#22 DistressedOrange

DistressedOrange

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:49 AM

i got 10. but personally, i am completely nonconformist lol. so as for me being more likely to conform isn't accurate in my everyday life. the test seemed,,,, very irrelevant in a way? in fact, i thought that most of the nonconformist answers were conformist answers, they sounded like the type of things extreme right winged people say if im honest, very bootlicking and uncompassionate to misfortunes outside of peoples control.
i am nonconformist but i crave deep control within my own personal life. but i also recognise there are forces in this world that are built to be unfair, something the test didn't take into consideration. i think life isn't as black and white as the test perhaps believes it to be. for most of the answers, my beliefs lay in between the two. because while yes, you do have control of your life for the most part, sometimes things just happen. you cannot control death, illness, tragedy etc. life is neither completely controllable, nor is it a whirlwind of chaos. and recognising the manmade forces in this world that suppress people don't make me a conformist. because the test seems to only apply within a world that isn't riddled with human intervention. humans have created barriers for other humans. some people simply cannot overcome their circumstances and it has nothing to do with the will power to do so. it's delusional to go about the world thinking that we are free to overrule everything and everyone without resistance. 

for example in question 10 the "nonconformist" answer sounded quite delusional. especially given this day and age and the current world events. i think we all know the people in power in this world are the few and privileged. i think you are right, it is an outdated test. personally, i don't know how relevant it is concerning eating disorders, since it seemed to outlaw any sense of human depth in a way. because i think you can recognise that there are forces in the world beyond your control and also take your life into you are hands. nonetheless, it was really interesting.

Yeah, I agree. I mainly wanted to see if there would be any interesting trends but the scores I'm seeing on this thread are all over the place, ranging from the top to the bottom of the scale, so there doesn't seem to be any correlation. Even when it comes to obedience with Millgrams study into who is more likely to obey, a low locus score and being less likely to obey weren't strongly linked - they did find a link, but only with white American male subjects and it wasn't clear whether both were caused by a third factor or not. Thought it'd be fun nonetheless, this isn't an academic study aha
  • tristogsyk likes this
"The moment you become aware of the ego in you, it is strictly speaking no longer the ego, but just an old, conditioned mind pattern. Ego implies unawareness. Awareness and ego cannot coexist."

"Woman was God's second mistake." -Nietzsche

"A house is just a place to keep your stuff while you go out and get more stuff." -George Carlin

157cm/5'2"
BMI 16

Sugar Detox Accountability:

https://www.myproana...key-yes-really/

#23 GloriousThorn

GloriousThorn

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2628 posts
  • LocationWest Coast

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:16 AM

I got 7
"I couldn't utter my love when it counted
ah but I'm singing like a bird about it now"

33 years old
Height: 5'1 and a half
HW: 165
CW: 119.5
LW: 103
GW: 109

#24 cosmosfreeze

cosmosfreeze

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:24 AM

HT: 5'10" - 177.3 cm
CW: 112.3 lbs - 51.0 kg (BMI 16.2)
SW: 62 kg in 2010 (BMI 20.7)

#25 Haihai898

Haihai898

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2743 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:36 AM

<p>TWWW
Height: 5'5 1/2
SW: 180 lbs
CW: 104.4 BMI- 17.1
LW: 89 lbs
GW1: Try to get between 106-108 lbs so my dietician won't worry as much and maintain (BMI: 17.4- 17.8) 🙁🙁 [/color]
***GW2: When I move out, get to 95-100 lbs and maintain<p>tenor.gif

#26 itreallydobelikethat

itreallydobelikethat

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:45 AM

6, this was a very interesting quiz tho! I had to think deeply ab some of these

#27 taeyong’s bestie

taeyong’s bestie

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Locationyour house

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:27 AM

4, i was expecting the test to be like “a plate of high calorie food is sitting in front of you. can you resist it?” LMFAO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 sourappple

sourappple

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the mountains

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:46 AM

It was difficult to answer these questions because as has been said, it's not as simple as it is made out to be. Like that last one got to me, I both feel like what happens to me is my own doing and that I have no control over the direction my life is going. It was hard to choose between so many of them. I believe there is luck and fate, but I also believe we control ourselves and our actions, and to some degree our success in this world. I guess why that's why I'm smack in the middle of the scoring, too many of the options felt wrong on both sides so I went with what I leaned more towards.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk
If only yesterday took place tomorrow... I’d Pray for sleep
h: 5'5"
cw:
137lbs
ugw:
100lbs

#29 BrutalKitten

BrutalKitten

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:57 AM

I don't believe in luck. I believe people are responsible for their own lives and it all depends on the decisions they make and the actions they take. However, there are times when you aren't able to control every situation due to unexpected circumstances. But that has nothing to do with luck, it's more about other's decisions and actions having an impact on your life.
"Crave the machine, revere the screen
Zoom in for flak and misery
Bleed some pixels
Shoot yourself, pose for the dead
Have a near-life experience In a hot air matrix
Now you're a star, vain avatar
Feeding the beast, in your loud Egoland
You have become tool of a tool
Digital ghouls telling you to shut up and dance!"

- Noise, Nightwish

#30 fairy-wings

fairy-wings

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:58 AM

• MotionlessMin likes this

♡fairy♡

#31 dead eternity

dead eternity

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Locationstuck in the abyss of existence.

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:30 AM

11, i answered based on my own experiences

life could be beautiful for anybody it's for

but i'd swear this mothafuckin' shit is rotten to the core

current bmi: 19.1

#32 apalebluedot

apalebluedot

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:36 AM

#33 impmon

impmon

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 6659 posts
  • Locationtexas

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:37 AM

6, whatever that implies.

twatter

5'3/73 lbs/can't read

c1871d71efdbe57cbf14b067d6b54b4cc13a1972

bwoop

please

#34 Cerina

Cerina

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1131 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:39 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your average long term member back again

#35 covermeincolors

covermeincolors

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:40 AM

(they/them)

(HW: 145 | LW: 102 | CW: 102 | UGW: 99)

#36 susanrose

susanrose

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2249 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:42 AM

#37 MindreAna

MindreAna

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3277 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:45 AM

I got the same score as you and also found myself equally frustrated when taking it myself. It is quite an old test and was originally intended to be used to measure how obedient someone is likely to be. They found that people who scored lower tended to be less obedient and less conformist, for example. But yeah there are a lot of methodological problems when it comes to gathering survey data like that with limited nuance, since most people's views aren't that one sided. What I did was pick the option closest to my view and where I leaned more (I'm rarely completely neutral on a topic) instead of looking for one that matched my views exactly, since close ended questions rarely do. Hope that helps!

Yes I did the same and I guess my score makes sense in how I live my life believing in being organised and plan/have awareness for the unexpected/uncontrollable/“luck/bad luck” aspect of life that inevitably plays a role in everything too. So I guess I err on the side of being prepared more than just slapdash relying on luck.

As AN-bp though I never think I would fit into stereotypical anorexia traits.

The test originally being about how compliant a person is is very interesting, I wonder what it is about being more controlled that makes a person less conformist/obedient? I would almost have assumed the other way around like if you score high on leaving everything to luck you’d be more of a non conformist free spirit, but maybe it’s that you also then would be a person resigned to a mentality of “tough shit others are in control and I am not so I better get in line”?
  • stkitty likes this

#38 MindreAna

MindreAna

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3277 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 11:04 AM

Yeah, I agree. I mainly wanted to see if there would be any interesting trends but the scores I'm seeing on this thread are all over the place, ranging from the top to the bottom of the scale, so there doesn't seem to be any correlation. Even when it comes to obedience with Millgrams study into who is more likely to obey, a low locus score and being less likely to obey weren't strongly linked - they did find a link, but only with white American male subjects and it wasn't clear whether both were caused by a third factor or not. Thought it'd be fun nonetheless, this isn't an academic study aha

I could see how they would only have found a link between low score and white American males, especially if the studies are somewhat older.

Because if you take into account the way society conditions men vs how it conditions women it’s not the same. If you are controlled and organised and believe you determine your life’s outcome as a woman you may be more likely to internalise it negatively, as well as believe it your duty to be a version of “perfect” for others, perfect student, perfect wife, perfect employee, perfect anorexic, but nobody can be perfect all the time so you fail and it is your own fault.

If you are instead a man who believe in controlling your destiny society encourages you to forge ahead, not be emotional about failure, shake it off and pursue more because it is up to you, white American Male, to make a difference, your privilege is your duty, be a leader, and you can do whatever you want.

As stereotypes I could see how this test would get that result.
  • stkitty likes this

#39 *ella

*ella

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1818 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 18 October 2020 - 11:14 AM

9 (not diagnosed AN).

I think this makes sense. While I want to have control, I often feel like the world around me is out of control and that might be a reason some people focus on having a high degree of control over their food and their body. Sometimes I feel like if I can control my body, I can control everything else too. 

Spoiler

tumblr_noywtxBk7I1qeeoj7o1_540.giftumblr_noywtxBk7I1qeeoj7o2_540.gif

#40 ivy-cix66

ivy-cix66

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1335 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 11:53 AM

i got a 10 which makes sense, i try to control certain things because i feel like i don’t have much control over anything else

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users