Has anyone here ever been able to lose weight without counting calories? - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Has anyone here ever been able to lose weight without counting calories?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 FluffSkin

FluffSkin

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationSkinny fuckery land

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:11 PM

I sometimes wish I could stop & never even started it in the first place. Was able to maintain & lose without them anyway. Life shouldn't be all about numbers especially when u eat a healthy diet. 

Eh, what can u do.

source.gif

#2 weiomoan

weiomoan

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationBaltics baby

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:18 PM

my food scale broke down few days ago because I washed it in the sink cuz I'm a dumb bitch but that has made me eat smaller portions than before and overestimating calories more than before just out of fear. If anything I'm more cautious and also not weighting all my food makes me look less crazy

#3 letsstarvetay00

letsstarvetay00

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:20 PM

When i dont count i just eat as little as possible

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk
  • AwkwarddOtter and skinnyselene like this

#4 silenthungerstrike

silenthungerstrike

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1458 posts
  • LocationNeverland

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:23 PM

When i dont count i just eat as little as possible

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

I do this too sometimes. I find that when I track calories and get very obsessive it triggers a binge but if I just eat like a mouse and don't think about food as much I can get by just fine.

• letsstarvetay00 and skinnyselene like this

tumblr_n76v7cm0O41qg94hko3_500.gif

>>Watch me build and Empire from the ashes of everything single thing that tried to destroy me <<

original.gif

#5 VanityJane

VanityJane

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationAmerican Wasteland

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:31 PM

I find when I track calories rigidly, I make rigid plans around those numbers, and I expect rigid results every time I step on the scale. But the body does not work that way and I would panic and spiral and lose focus and bing or think i needed a different rigid plan with even lower calories and binge.

I have poor emotional regulation skills and am impatient and unfocused in general so I've found more success in other ways. I'm sure many people work well with counting but I'm just not one. It's kind of a shame bc I love data but this data is too close so it's hard for me to learn from it when eclipsed by my feels.
  • ilull9full, cactusdolphin420 and puppybreath like this
33 yo
5'7"

#6 dead eternity

dead eternity

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Locationstuck in the abyss of existence.

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:40 PM

i don't even always count them, i just know i'm eating very little anyway

life could be beautiful for anybody it's for

but i'd swear this mothafuckin' shit is rotten to the core

~everything is so fucked, but i can't feel a thing~

#7 kittenish

kittenish

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:43 PM

yes but only when i was like SEVERELY depressed. i slept all day every day and only got up once to eat something small. then i'd just go back to sleep. i couldn't do that now though bc unknown calories spook me and make me binge

#8 Jlynn82

Jlynn82

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:44 PM

Only times in my life where I was super depressed so I had so little of an appetite that I basically wasn’t eating anything. I’m too afraid that I will go over my calories if I don’t count otherwise.

#9 sourappple

sourappple

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the mountains

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:50 PM

I was counting and weighing food obsessively last time I relapsed and had many break downs over it. I don't particularly count my calories now but I do pay heed to portion sizes and can estimate my calories for the day. If I have something packaged I remember the calories and calculate in my head, when it's something like dinner I can guestimate the calories because I'm really good about keeping portions small. I usually overestimate my total calories for the day. I've lost 5 lbs in the last week or so, so I'd say I'm doing pretty good with not obsessively counting.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk
  • FluffSkin likes this
If only yesterday took place tomorrow... I’d Pray for sleep
h: 5'5"
cw:
137lbs
ugw:
100lbs

#10 young_wurdsmith

young_wurdsmith

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:16 PM

I used to count meticulously but now I just eat the same foods and fast most of the day so I know I’m only eating at most 600cal/day

Stats:

5'9"

SW: probs around 180

CW: 137 135 134 lbs.

GW1: 130

GW2: 126

GW3: 123

UGW: 118

#11 LilaLilly

LilaLilly

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:28 PM

Yeah I did when I went away on holidays with my friends. I just stook to safe foods. I only ate if I had to. I think I was eat one meal a day and maybe one or two snacks and finishing nothing. I lost 7lbs in 10 days. It was the beginning of a bad enough relapse 

tumblr_pia9g1vJXE1tj2lfbo2_400.gif               tumblr_pia9g1vJXE1tj2lfbo1_400.gif

Goal bmi - 18.6 

Accountability

Lets be friends, message me for my kik <3

#12 horror_girl

horror_girl

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2753 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:40 PM

Pretty much, I either did a diet plan with instant meals (where the calories were already calculated), or I just went for about 1/3 of a recommended portion for any food that I ate

Currently 62.6kg, 5'5.5'' tall
Follow my accountability here: https://www.myproana...e-take-control/

Previous Accountability (98 kg to 55 Kg) -  https://www.myproana...getarian/page-1

#13 Gospel Oak

Gospel Oak

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, United Kingdom

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:56 PM

I used to count calories. But it became too stressful and wasted too much time and when you live in shared accommodation it becomes very inconvenient to do without somebody asking wtf you're doing. So I just stopped.

I prefer it soooo much more to not count calories and I'm still losing weight. I'm just a lot more careful about my portions. I also do have a good estimate of how many calories are in my staple foods and have a look at packaging etc. but I don't go out of my way to calculate how much I've eaten each day. It saves a lot of mental anguish.

I high restict though so that's why it's probably easier. I just eat small portions and when I'm full I'm good.

• FluffSkin likes this

#14 Bluefingered

Bluefingered

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2854 posts
  • LocationLarder in a London flat

Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:59 PM

yea but when i dont count i just purge almost all of it up so "ofc im losing im on a deficit" but i never know just how much if u get me 

SPRING / SUMMER 

end of february gw: 51kg/112lbs (bmi 19.4) ✓

end of march gw: 49kg/108lbs (bmi 18.9) ✓

end of april gw: 47kg/103lbs (bmi 18.1) ✓

end of may gw: 45kg/99lbs (bmi 17.3) 

end of june gw: 43kg/94lbs (bmi 16.5) 

end of july gw: 41kg/90lbs (bmi 15.8) ✓ 

end of august gw: 40kg/88lbs (bmi 15.4) ✓ 

AUTUMN / WINTER

end of september gw: 40kg/88lbs (bmi  15.4) ✓ 

end of october gw: 39kg/86lbs (bmi 15)

end of november gw: 38kg/84lbs (bmi 14.6)

end of december gw: 37kg/82lbs (bmi 14.2)

[end of january gw: 36kg/79lnbs (bmi 13.8)

end of february gw: 35kg/77lbs (bmi  13.5)]

lw: 37kg/82lbs (bmi 14.4)

hw: 54kg/120lbs (bmi 21)

height: 161cm

Spoiler

Spoiler

#15 thecookiemonster

thecookiemonster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 04:58 PM

I lost 40lbs not tracking. I ate the same thing everyday tho and tracked excersise.

#16 ECANAX

ECANAX

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth

Posted 18 October 2020 - 04:59 PM

Yes.
  • FluffSkin likes this
××× staarvlast ×××

HEI- 5'3

STARTINGW- 70kgs///
LOWESTW- 41kgs///

CURRENTW- 44kgs
GW8- 43kgs
GW9- 41kgs
GW10- 40kgs

#17 DareMe

DareMe

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:05 PM

When I get into the workout phase, I usually care a lot more about what I put into my body. When I know im only eating good whole foods, no packaged junk/fast food/sugar/salt i don't tend to count. I eat intuitively and make sure to run or lift. I still like to be a lil hungry before bed and drink tons of water... and I tend to loose.
  • aluminé likes this
5'7 SW 147 146 145 144 143 142 141 140 139 138 137 136 135 134 133 132 131 130 129 128 127 126 125 124 123 122 121 GW 120

#18 swilystaff

swilystaff

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3497 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:18 PM

Once I got in the habit of eating smaller portions that added up to somewhere around ~1000 a day I was able to stop counting and lose for a bit. Then I got a massive plateau and b/p like crazy and now I'm back to fasting and I'm not counting on my days in between and I'm maintaining on those days so I guess that counts.

#19 katie108

katie108

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 950 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:56 PM

I find when I track calories rigidly, I make rigid plans around those numbers, and I expect rigid results every time I step on the scale. But the body does not work that way and I would panic and spiral and lose focus and bing or think i needed a different rigid plan with even lower calories and binge.

I have poor emotional regulation skills and am impatient and unfocused in general so I've found more success in other ways. I'm sure many people work well with counting but I'm just not one. It's kind of a shame bc I love data but this data is too close so it's hard for me to learn from it when eclipsed by my feels.

Wow I really feel this. I’m like this too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • FluffSkin likes this

#20 katie108

katie108

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 950 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:58 PM

I lost 40lbs not tracking. I ate the same thing everyday tho and tracked excersise.

That’s amazing. I lost my first 10 pounds a few years ago by barely eating and not tracking. Then I started obsessively tracking when it became clear that j couldn’t sustain life that way for long.

Do you remember what you ate when you lost 40 pounds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users