triggering non-ED books? - Books and Poems - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

triggering non-ED books?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 applesauce bee

applesauce bee

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Locationperth

Posted 18 October 2020 - 04:11 PM

could I get some recommendations for books/series that don't scream eating disorder yet still personally trigger you? for example, the protagonist is always weird about food or just something about the themes trigger you. 

• aneles and harami like this

#2 Lio

Lio

Whoresley Willis

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2572 posts
  • LocationI am in hell help me

Posted 18 October 2020 - 04:58 PM

I'm highly specific about what triggers me, so the most universal recommendation I can give is Twilight (don't come for me plz it's a guilty pleasure) if you think you'd be into that. I don't think I can recall a scene in which Bella doesn't skip her meals and it's constantly stated that Edward has to control himself around Bella because her blood smells so delicious, AKA he has to control himself around food. It's actually a little bizarre how much ED-esque stuff is in the series. Makes me wonder about the author. Other than that I find most YA books triggering since they so often feature thin girls leading a life I've deluded myself into thinking I can have once I'm thin enough lol.

• Disappearing1, aneles, applesauce bee and 1 other like this

Sweet mary jane, you're quite insane, and all you ever want to be, is like the other girls you see.

PERSONAL MEANSPO FOR MYSELF BE WARNED (plus stats, GWs and progress)

˅

Spoiler

5a0fce1a500b53592104ff057ad8b7bb.gif

Getting my shit together

nU14Dpl.png

#3 applesauce bee

applesauce bee

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Locationperth

Posted 19 October 2020 - 09:08 AM

I'm highly specific about what triggers me, so the most universal recommendation I can give is Twilight (don't come for me plz it's a guilty pleasure) if you think you'd be into that. I don't think I can recall a scene in which Bella doesn't skip her meals and it's constantly stated that Edward has to control himself around Bella because her blood smells so delicious, AKA he has to control himself around food. It's actually a little bizarre how much ED-esque stuff is in the series. Makes me wonder about the author. Other than that I find most YA books triggering since they so often feature thin girls leading a life I've deluded myself into thinking I can have once I'm thin enough lol.

i thought someone would mention twilight since i've heard "ED-esque" things about the protagonist haha. i felt that last sentence so much it's sort of sad. thanks for the rec!

• Lio likes this

#4 Willam

Willam

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1017 posts
  • LocationUranus

Posted 24 October 2020 - 12:58 AM

The Millennium Trilogy (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). They always talk about coffee, sandwiches, how thin Lisbeth is and how she doesn't seem to need food. 

The Hunger Artist by Franz Kafka, and The Vegetarian by Han Kang both describe starvation and cutting out groups of food and the psychological toll it takes without specifically being about EDs. 

• applesauce bee likes this

Welcome to the Beatdown.
You don't eat in drag, duh! - Willam

Spoiler

#5 ghost.exe

ghost.exe

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 October 2020 - 05:02 AM

fantasy / romance

• Dawn &Julien by Lynn Raven (couldn't find the English name, in German the series was called "Der Kuss des Dämons")
The main character always drank her special tea and started to skip meals, later on she threw up as soon as she ate something because she was sick

• Vampire Academy / Bloodline by Richelle Mead
The vampire best friend was always described as super skinny and not having much of an appetite after drinking blood, also Sydney Sage (main character in thw spin off) drank copious amounts of coffee, always comparing herself to others, tried to avoid sugar and fat etc (later on she stopped so I lost interest in the books)

• i thought The Hunger Games were kind of triggering with Katniss who tried to ration her food, mentioning that her stomach shrunk from all the starving
Cw: 66.6

"And if you must die, sweetheart, die knowing your life was my life's best part"

#6 halothane

halothane

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:54 AM

The Book of Proper Names by Amelie Nothomb. I read this when I was in inpatient and damn.. didn't expect to be triggered at all let alone as much as I was. It's a short, quick, engaging read that I highly recommend in any case 

#7 Disappearing1

Disappearing1

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Location5th Dimension

Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:40 PM

I second Twilight.

Also the Fifty Shades books. Christian is always having to remind her to eat, complaining about her weight, etc.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

189 188 187 186 185 184 183 182 181 180

179 178 177 176 175 174 173 172 171 170

169 168 167 166 165 164 163 162 161 160

159 158 157 156 165 154 153 152 151 150

149 148 147 146 145 144 143 142 141 140

139 138 137 136 135 134 133 132 131 130

129 128 127 126 125 124 123 122 121 120

119 118

Wordpress Accountability Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users