Healthy coping mechanisms? - Beauty, Health and Wellness - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Healthy coping mechanisms?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sympathyf0rthedevil

sympathyf0rthedevil

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 21 October 2020 - 11:29 AM

Right... I'm not sure where to put this but I guess it links into health so maybe it belongs here?

This whole pandemic has ruined plans for a lot of people, myself included and it meant that university lectures are now all being done online. I guess it has some positives as it means people can sort of move at their own pace but being stuck at home for so long is making me go insane.

I gained weight during lockdown (got up to my highest weight) then I lost it very fast... sort of last minute because I began to panic realising I will actually have to see my friends at some stage and I can't allow myself to go out looking like this...

I'm slowly moving back down to what's a relatively low weight for me and though I feel okay with the way I look and I'm in this comfortable territory, I don't feel like myself. 

The days are all merging together and I'm doing everything without putting any thought into it. Daily tasks are just being done on autopilot and though I talk to my family and have meals with my parents and crack a few jokes here and there I just don't feel anything. I'm constantly numb and I haven't felt this bad since 2018 and it's scary being in this emotional state of being again.

For a while now I've been prioritising my weight over everything. I eat one meal a day with my parents when they get home from work and I spend the majority of my day obsessing over food, just thinking about it all the time and it's driving me crazy. Sometimes it's so bad I even get scared to drink too much water because I don't want to gain water weight. I know I can't maintain this and eventually I will slow down but now I'm just stuck.

But today has really pushed me over the edge. I was supposed to meet up with my best friend tomorrow and he cancelled for the second time (not his fault... life just got in the way) and I was so looking forward to tomorrow because I just wanted to have a normal day and talk about random things and I guess in a sense press a reset button and slowly go back to normal the next day.

I told him everything is fine and so we rescheduled for next week. I'm already thinking about how much weight I can lose in this week and though I'm physically and mentally exhausted I can't stop.

I had this strange breakdown today and I just couldn't stop crying and I have no friends in real life that know about my eating disorder so I can't talk to anyone in real life and it just hit me today how I'm sort of alone?

This was a really long ramble but I guess I just wanted to ask how do people cope? How do people force themselves into having a productive day because right now this eating disorder has swallowed me whole.

• 123 likes this

Height: 169 cm - 5'7

Lowest weight: 49.0 kg - 108 lbs - BMI: 17.2

Highest weight 70 kg - 154 lbs - BMI: 24.5

Current weight: 56.9  kg - 125 lbs - BMI: 19.9

Goal weight: 54.4 kg - 120 lbs - BMI: 19.0

Ultimate goal weight: 50.0 kg - 110 lbs - BMI: 17.5

Accountability

• • • • • • • • • 

tumblr_mpoomxhfRC1qjrvino1_400.gif

#2 sympathyf0rthedevil

sympathyf0rthedevil

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 21 October 2020 - 02:00 PM

Height: 169 cm - 5'7

Lowest weight: 49.0 kg - 108 lbs - BMI: 17.2

Highest weight 70 kg - 154 lbs - BMI: 24.5

Current weight: 56.9  kg - 125 lbs - BMI: 19.9

Goal weight: 54.4 kg - 120 lbs - BMI: 19.0

Ultimate goal weight: 50.0 kg - 110 lbs - BMI: 17.5

Accountability

• • • • • • • • • 

tumblr_mpoomxhfRC1qjrvino1_400.gif

#3 ljtizzle

ljtizzle

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 November 2020 - 07:13 AM

I’m really sorry you’ve been struggling....

How about calm music and doing something artistic?

#4 tumblrwontletmewriteinhang

tumblrwontletmewriteinhang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 November 2020 - 11:21 AM

anything to get your mind off of it would be good. binge watch tv shows (even if they're boring), scroll through tiktok for hours, but a coloring book and make a goal to finish x amount of pages per day, go to the library and find some really good books, etc. it's always hard to get your mind off of food but any distraction can help.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users