Over 50, Perimenopause and Intermittent Fasting - Age 40+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Over 50, Perimenopause and Intermittent Fasting

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mindful Lady

Mindful Lady

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 November 2020 - 05:08 PM

I'm over fifty, perimenopausal and got estrogen dominance. I have had BED for nearly forty years and trying to lose some weight (who doesn't) with intermittent fasting, but my body doesn't like it at all, even between a light breakfast and lunch, or during the night, if my blood sugar levels go low I start getting hot flushes and that panicky, anxious feeling of unease which women of a certain age not on HRT probably know too well :( . Equally, when I eat too much by system struggles to cope, suppose it's all about those crazy middle age hormones.

Has any of you experienced similar issues and how have you dealt with them?  :)

• *~pixie angelheart~* likes this

#2 Gizzygirl14

Gizzygirl14

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 November 2020 - 12:14 AM

Me too. Got the muffin top,despite controlling my eating
You are what you eat.....so what's eating you?

Height: 5ft 2in.
HW: 133 -not counting any pregnancy weights
CW: 125, 120
LW: 83
GW1: 115
GW2: 105
GW3: 100
UGW: ????

#3 Mindful Lady

Mindful Lady

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 November 2020 - 05:33 PM

I've got fat thighs, hips, arms and bottom too. I win, hahaha  :D 

God, I'd love to be light and slender x 

#4 wonderexic

wonderexic

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1850 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

Posted 16 November 2020 - 02:09 PM

Even at a low weight I have muffin top from extra skin, yuck I hate it
Wonderexic

If I eat anything I will eat everything. So I eat nothing.

#5 ChunkyGurl

ChunkyGurl

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 December 2020 - 05:00 PM

Same as above comment. I'm a normal ranged weight for my height, but still have wobbly bits and a stomach that likes to pretend that it's pregnant. Hormones and water retention are my worst enemy.
  • *~pixie angelheart~* and Mindful Lady like this

-----------------

"Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see" - Mark Twain

---------

"You must be ready at any moment, to sacrifice what you are, for what you will become..." - Eric Thomas

----------

0f606aaa27dddc68f12df7c8a1d9253e

#6 Mindful Lady

Mindful Lady

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 December 2020 - 03:14 PM

Even at a low weight I have muffin top from extra skin, yuck I hate it

Same as above comment. I'm a normal ranged weight for my height, but still have wobbly bits and a stomach that likes to pretend that it's pregnant. Hormones and water retention are my worst enemy.

I'm not technically obese or overweight for now but I constantly feel like a manatee. Finding very difficult to get used to my new body... the higher fat percentage, the heaviness, the folds. Basically an extra inch or more of cellulitic flab all over, even in places where I did not accumulate fat in the past, or at least not a lot, e.g. arms (including forearms), back, hips, front and inner thighs. 

I can actually feel the wobble when I walk, or I feel the folds of extra fat when I cross my legs. It's very tricky and I'm struggling, the fact that losing weight is so difficult does not help in the least. Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Feeling very guilty about it as well, it's my own, unique body and my internal dialogue and criticism shouldn't be so negative, really  :(

#7 streatham

streatham

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 04:06 PM

I have turned 53 (sweet Jesus) and this is shocking.  Its like I lost all muscle tone, my ass & thighs were never this bad - its bad now.  Same with the upper arms.  Absolutely nothing seems to work to lose weight, I have tried it all.  I do try and IF every day.  I actually lost some weight on Optavia, but too expensive to keep up

#8 ButtonsAligned

ButtonsAligned

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1322 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 December 2020 - 11:20 AM

I'm not technically obese or overweight for now but I constantly feel like a manatee. Finding very difficult to get used to my new body... the higher fat percentage, the heaviness, the folds. Basically an extra inch or more of cellulitic flab all over, even in places where I did not accumulate fat in the past, or at least not a lot, e.g. arms (including forearms), back, hips, front and inner thighs. 
I can actually feel the wobble when I walk, or I feel the folds of extra fat when I cross my legs. It's very tricky and I'm struggling, the fact that losing weight is so difficult does not help in the least. Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Feeling very guilty about it as well, it's my own, unique body and my internal dialogue and criticism shouldn't be so negative, really  :(

Mindful Lady - the way you described your struggle resonates strongly with me, especially the discomfort and guilt.
My mental image does not match what I see or measure and the mismatch is discouraging.
May we both find a state of happiness, or at least- better health.

It's always a good time for tea.

Please visit my current art project gallery and feel free to leave comments .

depositphotos_83105252-stock-illustratio

#9 Mindful Lady

Mindful Lady

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 December 2020 - 04:54 PM

Mindful Lady - the way you described your struggle resonates strongly with me, especially the discomfort and guilt.
My mental image does not match what I see or measure and the mismatch is discouraging.
May we both find a state of happiness, or at least- better health.

Yes, in my head I'm somewhere between 26 and 30, the mirror and the ever shrinking clothes tell a totally different story. Started to grow out of my coats recently, how depressing, feels like a point of no-return. But then again so many women of my age have far more serious health issues to deal with.

Thank you for the lovely wish  :)

#10 Mindful Lady

Mindful Lady

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 December 2020 - 04:59 PM

I have turned 53 (sweet Jesus) and this is shocking.  Its like I lost all muscle tone, my ass & thighs were never this bad - its bad now.  Same with the upper arms.  Absolutely nothing seems to work to lose weight, I have tried it all.  I do try and IF every day.  I actually lost some weight on Optavia, but too expensive to keep up

Apart from the Optavia line this post could have been written by me - even the age is the same. Putting on weight is incredibly easy - I swear I can put on an extra half-inch on my inside knee on a 'good' binge day - but of course it's all stubborn fat now, nearly impossible to lose  :(

#11 viofem

viofem

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 08:38 AM

ten years ago i weighed a hundred pounds and was a size zero. i have gained weight, but a year ago i was 97 pounds and a size four and my breasts got even bigger than before. only my thighs got smaller. stomach was huge...

SW 174.4

CW 100

LW 99

UGW 92-95

#12 cmcd1070

cmcd1070

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Locationcolorado

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:44 AM

I just turned 50. I'm 182lb at 5'1. I'm trying to lose at least 50-80lbs through IF and EF. I fasted 400 out of 480 hours Dec 12-31, and 110 hours so far in Jan. I've only lost 8lbs. I keep my eating window short and eat only whole foods, low carb. in small portions. When I was younger, I could do this and lose 20lbs in that time. It's VERY frustrating.

height: 5'1

start: over and over every fucking day

HW: 240 

SW: 198  

CW: 187 Obese BMI

1GW: 163 Overweight BMI

2GW: 130 Normal BMI

UGW: 100 Underweight BMI

#13 Mindful Lady

Mindful Lady

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 January 2021 - 05:49 PM

I just turned 50. I'm 182lb at 5'1. I'm trying to lose at least 50-80lbs through IF and EF. I fasted 400 out of 480 hours Dec 12-31, and 110 hours so far in Jan. I've only lost 8lbs. I keep my eating window short and eat only whole foods, low carb. in small portions. When I was younger, I could do this and lose 20lbs in that time. It's VERY frustrating.

It's crazy isn't it?! Absolutely diabolical :angry:. It's bad also because one gets into all sort of negative ways of thinking, from 'my body is against me', to 'fuck it', to 'it's not fair', etc. It takes absolute ages to lose a few pounds and literally a day or two to gain everything back  :wacko:

What about exercise? I have found that weight lifting, which increases muscle mass, seems to have a positive effect on metabolism and mood and general feelings towards my body. No gym for me, I have a set of dumbells and a mat at home.

Walking is no good... I enjoy walking to work and back, around 45 minutes each way, but it makes me so hungry! I invariably end up bingening in the evening.

As I have BED I just try to eat normally, 1,700-2,200 calories a day, restriction triggers my binges. Been experimenting with intermittent fasting, but I need to be careful with it for the same reasons, also if I'm in hot flashes phase drops in blood sugar levels send them crazy, even at nightime  :(

By the way, I see from your stats that you have gone from 240 to 182, congratulations, it's a great result, well done  :)

#14 *~pixie angelheart~*

*~pixie angelheart~*

Omniscient

• Supporter
  • 6040 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico (US)

Posted 09 January 2021 - 05:52 PM

I'm over fifty, perimenopausal and got estrogen dominance. I have had BED for nearly forty years and trying to lose some weight (who doesn't) with intermittent fasting, but my body doesn't like it at all, even between a light breakfast and lunch, or during the night, if my blood sugar levels go low I start getting hot flushes and that panicky, anxious feeling of unease which women of a certain age not on HRT probably know too well :( . Equally, when I eat too much by system struggles to cope, suppose it's all about those crazy middle age hormones.

Has any of you experienced similar issues and how have you dealt with them?  :)

I've never tolerated any kind of fasting well. A few months ago, I did the equivalent of 7 days of fasting over a 2-week period, I think, and while I lost quite a bit of weight, but I felt AWFUL.  :(  I was miserable, and I knew it was something that I'd never be able to do, even on a semi-regular basis. I've always done best by eating small meals (under 200 calories) throughout the day. It's extremely unusual for me to eat what would be considered a full meal at one time. In fact, I can't actually remember the last time I did.  :huh: 

I'm 55, and this is my biggest issue, but I blame most of my higher level of body fat and lower muscle mass on the fact that I developed Fibromyalgia almost 2 years ago now, and it affects how much I can exercise. At the age of 50, my body fat was below 10%. Right now, I'm too embarrassed to say what it is!  :unsure:  It's entirely possible that my hormones have also affected things (I'm post-menopausal), but with my extenuating circumstances, I can't say for sure.

• Mindful Lady likes this

55-years-old

5'5"

Current BMI: "Normal" (i.e., FAT!)

Usual ED Diagnosis: 

AN (restricting type)

Lowest Adult Weight: 87 lbs (BMI 14.5)

HW: 165 lbs (pregnancy)

GW: 90 lbs (BMI 15)

~accountability~

https://www.myproana.com/index.php/topic/4037131-angelhearts-hope-refusing-to-give-up-pics//

~pics~

https://www.myproana.com/index.php/gallery/album/5861-pics-of-me/

#15 Mindful Lady

Mindful Lady

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 January 2021 - 06:05 PM

I've never tolerated any kind of fasting well. A few months ago, I did the equivalent of 7 days of fasting over a 2-week period, I think, and while I lost quite a bit of weight, but I felt AWFUL.  :(  I was miserable, and I knew it was something that I'd never be able to do, even on a semi-regular basis. I've always done best by eating small meals (under 200 calories) throughout the day. It's extremely unusual for me to eat what would be considered a full meal at one time. In fact, I can't actually remember the last time I did.  :huh: 

I'm 55, and this is my biggest issue, but I blame most of my higher level of body fat and lower muscle mass on the fact that I developed Fibromyalgia almost 2 years ago now, and it affects how much I can exercise. At the age of 50, my body fat was below 10%. Right now, I'm too embarrassed to say what it is!  :unsure:  It's entirely possible that my hormones have also affected things (I'm post-menopausal), but with my extenuating circumstances, I can't say for sure.

Sorry to hear about your health issues, apart from the discomfort and being unwell, if you enjoyed doing exercise it must be so frustrating not being able to do as much as you like.

I'm sure you look lovely, but, yes, it's not easy getting used to the new 'body of a certain age'

Hope you get better and feel better  :)

#16 *~pixie angelheart~*

*~pixie angelheart~*

Omniscient

• Supporter
  • 6040 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 07:50 PM

Sorry to hear about your health issues, apart from the discomfort and being unwell, if you enjoyed doing exercise it must be so frustrating not being able to do as much as you like.

I'm sure you look lovely, but, yes, it's not easy getting used to the new 'body of a certain age'

Hope you get better and feel better  :)

Thank you so much, hon.  :wub:  Yes, it has been unbelievably frustrating, and I had given into believing that I just couldn't do it anymore, but I'm now working on exercising, despite the pain. It's not fun, but I'm hoping it'll get better eventually.  :unsure: 

55-years-old

5'5"

Usual ED Diagnosis: 

AN (restricting type)

~accountability~

https://www.myproana.com/index.php/topic/4037131-angelhearts-hope-refusing-to-give-up-pics//

~pics~

#17 Mindful Lady

Mindful Lady

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 January 2021 - 03:12 PM

Thank you so much, hon.  :wub:  Yes, it has been unbelievably frustrating, and I had given into believing that I just couldn't do it anymore, but I'm now working on exercising, despite the pain. It's not fun, but I'm hoping it'll get better eventually.  :unsure: 

Sending you a virtual hug and loads of get well wishes  :)  :wub:

#18 *~pixie angelheart~*

*~pixie angelheart~*

Omniscient

• Supporter
  • 6040 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 04:18 PM

Sending you a virtual hug and loads of get well wishes  :)  :wub:

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:

55-years-old

5'5"

Usual ED Diagnosis: 

AN (restricting type)

~accountability~

~pics~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users