Haircuts for thick hair? - Beauty, Health and Wellness - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Haircuts for thick hair?

thick hair hairstyles haircuts

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tinyprettywords

tinyprettywords

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 05 November 2020 - 02:11 AM

I have long really thick hair that's kinda wavy/kinda straight depending on the day and I feel like it swallows up my face. How should I get it cut so that it isn't just hanging down lifelessly and frames my face nicely?

"Eat like you love yourself. Move like you love yourself. Speak like you love yourself. Act like you love yourself." 

Height: 5'6''

HW: 152

CW: 134

GW: 125

152 151 150 149 148 147 146
145 144 143 142 141 140
139 138 137 136 135
134 133 132 131
130 129 128
127 126

#2 faeriepuke

faeriepuke

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Locationst ides heaven, usa

Posted 05 November 2020 - 02:25 AM

i have the exact same hair type!! i haven't gotten a haircut in like a year so it's just heavy and shapeless rn, but i like to ask for 'weight removal' and tapered/layered ends. face framing layers are nice to break up all of that thick hair, and i've also done longer straight-across bangs that i felt made my hair not look so... boring and lifeless.

#3 sickfaerie

sickfaerie

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1046 posts
  • Locationprobably sleeping.

Posted 06 November 2020 - 12:53 PM

ehh i don’t recommend tbh. i cut my hair and it’s fairly thick. its always in my face now and way too short to tie up without it falling into a halfup/halfdown bun situation. unless u meant longer than on shoulders haircut¿ oops

#4 BunnyHoney

BunnyHoney

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 08:12 AM

I have the same hair type from your description. 

Ask for the them to thin it out, and add layers. The thinning and layers will release weight from your hair.

A note of caution on layers though, don't get a ton if you need to tie up your hair or put it into a bun often. Sometimes hair will come out if there is quite a bit of layering. And, also consider layers if you do any fun hairstyles often like braids, space buns or how you style your hair (hot irons everyday, or just air dry.) You must tell your stylist about your lifestyle (of hair!) if you get this done. 

Face framing, or the now popular 'curtain bangs' will draw the eyes up a bit to the centre of the face, instead of the mass between your head and tops of your shoulders (aka the neck space void of thick hair.) I have curtain bangs and they add something quick without the maintenance needed for real fringes or bangs. 

The most important thing is to find inspiration pictures of what you WANT your hair to look like. I recommend searching for images with a similar face shape/hair colour that you have with the cut you desire. The hair colour part is more for you, so you know what it could look like on you. 

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Height: 165cm

GW: 60 kg

My Accountability

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

#5 fatggot

fatggot

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 01:51 PM

I got a buzzcut. Problem solved.

Accountibility: not pro-anything, not here to encourage others

Height: 5'5.75

Highest/Starting Weight: 200 (1.13.2020)

Weight: 145.6

GW: I just wanna take up less space.

"Everyone must suffer one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret."

#6 Sherry_Berry

Sherry_Berry

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Locationyour fantasies

Posted 03 December 2020 - 10:28 AM

I have a pixie cut right now and it is super cute! I had a bob before and that really helped to take some of the weight off and get the hair out of my face.

Height: 5'4.75"

CW: 118.8lbs (BMI: 19.9) -  12/1/20

GW1: 115lbs (BMI - 19.3)

GW2: 110lbs (BMI - 18.4)

GW3: 105lbs (BMI - 17.6)

GW4: 100lbs (BMI - 16.8)

GW5: 95lbs (BMI - 15.9)

UGW: 90lbs (BMI - 15.1) Goal by June 13

"Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind, and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind." - A Midsummer Night's Dream

#7 jniewx

jniewx

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1330 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 05:30 PM

I had to "thin" my hair out. I guess maybe devolumize it? I don't know how to explain it but I basically run my scissors down my hair to decrease the volume. Then I get layers cut into my hair. 

#8 Banana In Uranus

Banana In Uranus

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWhere The Govt Can’t Take My Guns

Posted 08 December 2020 - 08:11 AM

Get long layers. Do not thin it out because every single person I know who had it done stated they never got that thickness back for whatever reason.
tumblr_pgeuhk9rdT1wuyk7oo2_500.gif

If you don’t already understand me, you never will. :( :) :( :)

Height: 5 ft 7
Ultimate Goal Weight: 83-89 pounds
Ultimate Goal BMI: 13-14

#9 kitty23

kitty23

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 03:19 AM

shag mullet!
  • ForOblivion likes this

#10 Calysta

Calysta

Advanced Warrior

• Supporter
  • 318 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 December 2020 - 02:56 PM

I agree with finding photos that inspire you otherwise something a little less risky could be changing the color to either a lighter or darker shade of the color you already have if changes all you were looking for
Believe in Yourself

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: thick hair, hairstyles, haircuts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users