Intentional rumination - Rumination Disorder - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Intentional rumination

rumination

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 catinflight

catinflight

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 November 2020 - 04:55 AM

Does anyone else have rumination not as a disorder, but more as a behaviour, as in something that can be controlled?

After eating I'm often able to regurgitate some of whatever it was using inner muscles, keeping it in my mouth to chew and then swallow again (i.e. intentional rumination). This sometimes happens several times after a meal or snack until the regurgitated food becomes unpalatable.

I have this habit because of a belief that food needs to be chewed/savoured for as long as possible to make the calories worth it. I tell people the regurgitation is out of my control because the truth is embarrassing and, honestly, a bit disgusting. It's surely fucking up my teeth, but... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#2 Kaya Chan

Kaya Chan

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1078 posts
  • LocationFrance - Paris

Posted 05 November 2020 - 05:07 AM

That sounds like GERD 

I have that problem too. 

It's bad for your teeth  just like purging

#3 Jumbles

Jumbles

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 04:20 PM

Does anyone else have rumination not as a disorder, but more as a behaviour, as in something that can be controlled?

After eating I'm often able to regurgitate some of whatever it was using inner muscles, keeping it in my mouth to chew and then swallow again (i.e. intentional rumination). This sometimes happens several times after a meal or snack until the regurgitated food becomes unpalatable.

I have this habit because of a belief that food needs to be chewed/savoured for as long as possible to make the calories worth it. I tell people the regurgitation is out of my control because the truth is embarrassing and, honestly, a bit disgusting. It's surely fucking up my teeth, but... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#4 Jumbles

Jumbles

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 04:24 PM

I do this too and I’m so so ashamed of it. It’s almost like bingeing but without eating more food, and makes the meal last for much longer. It’s completely voluntary and I live alone so no one sees. I wish I didn’t do it but I can’t seem to stop, it’s such an addiction 😕

#5 Lilyofthevalley13

Lilyofthevalley13

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 04:35 PM

Huh didn't know this had a name. I've always done this completely absentmindedly my whole life. I didn't know it was something note worthy. Didn't even know it was bad for you... how dumb can I be not to have clocked this but I really have done it my whole life and just thought everyone did ... for me what comes up tastes like what goes down so I've always enjoyed I guess (sounds so much grosser outside of my head 😂😂) and certain foods are more prone to it than others 😂 the only time Ive ever been conscious about it is sometimes I've been chewing and been asked "what are you chewing" and I'm like.... Ahhhh I'm not gonna answer that 😂
  • chrissy~ likes this

#6 LostBoy96

LostBoy96

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1014 posts
  • LocationAzkaban

Posted 17 November 2020 - 09:43 PM

I have this habit because of a belief that food needs to be chewed/savoured for as long as possible to make the calories worth it. I tell people the regurgitation is out of my control because the truth is embarrassing and, honestly, a bit disgusting. It's surely fucking up my teeth, but... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh my FUCKING god

I thought i was alone in this! I thought I was just gross and crazy.

I'm SO GLAD Im not alone in this, and theres a term for it too!!!

thank you for posting this

*~ I will be thin someday~*

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rumination

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users