Potato diet because I’m broke and sad - Commercial Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Potato diet because I’m broke and sad

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JihiroM

JihiroM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 02:34 PM

I’m on day three of just potatoes and feeling pretty good. I’ve done this before but haven’t made it past the two day mark. I eat boiled, baked and even air fried potatoes with salt or mustard on the side. They say you’re not suppose to add salt, but I find that it keeps my energy levels up if I add it in moderation. Last night I did add some 0% Greek yogurt and I think adding that occasionally will help me stay sane. My plan is to go 15 days at least and I think I will stick to that because I’m trying to save money and won’t have any extra to spend on my usual binge foods. When my mom comes to visit in 15 days I will take a break because she’ll notice if I’m only eating potatoes, but I’m going to try and keep my portions small when eating other things with her, so I don’t gain it all back. Currently I am 165 (5’8) I’m not weighing myself until the very end so the results will be more motivating to myself. Wish me luck.
  • XbloodnbonesX and akyre like this

#2 Nullivorous

Nullivorous

hot single calorie whore near you

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3236 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 02:49 PM

Non-boiled potatoes hold a LOT of nutrition, actually (boiling process can leach out minerals). Potatoes + dairy = nearly 100% RDA for vitamins and minerals. Out of all the monos out there, I'd call potatoes up there in least amount of damage done.

I also vote for some salt on your potatoes. sodium deficiency can really mess with your electrolytes and cause both terrible muscle and neurological problems. Modernly, it's considered "rare", but eating disorders can make it not only common but likely if you sodium-restrict OR exercise a whole lot.

I also can relate to doing potatoes only from financial struggles. I ate nothing but microwaved-baked potato at work for about 2 months when I started a new job because I had a long unemployment stent and had <$5 to last me until my first paycheck (then had to stretch out my grocery budget). That was over a year ago but I'm mentally struggling struggling to justify buying non-cheap-cheap groceries.

• Arcticfox, cattime and XbloodnbonesX like this

Just let me relapse without judgement

Legit Nutritionist Degree

Inbox always open for questions or memes

The only hurdle to becoming who I want to be is me

MY ULTIMATE WEIGHT PREDICTION CALCULATOR!! FREE TO USE:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hEqFBBhu6Tz6HVK6fiJ_mY_rpRVXDg3eQzacH6qY-NE/edit

Coronavirus Survival Thread:

https://www.myproana.com/index.php/topic/3967739-enduring-quarantine-hangouts-tips-and-tricks-galore/

Iconic MPA Threads:

Spoiler

#3 uselessassholec:

uselessassholec:

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 07:03 PM

if it helps it helps

Art student
socials  🥰#tiktok mrrudyfox01
#twitter mrrudyfox01
insta mrrudyfox011
✍️ #freelanceartist 
🦊 #commissionsopen 
❌do not repost or edit my art! 

alcoholic /Recovering.(ex)cocaine addict

if i ever disappear , know i love you all.

bmi hippo 17ish

85.4lbs 21/1/2021

4463993C 0AD1 4CB4 A4DE 7BD566A7B1B9

support my art https://www.buymeaco...b761f72480d0f00

#4 JihiroM

JihiroM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 07:04 PM

Yes I just had to take a pinch of Pink Himalayan salt because I started to feel sick, but it cleared right up after I did that!
  • XbloodnbonesX likes this

#5 JihiroM

JihiroM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 06:12 PM

It’s the end of my fourth day of mainly potatoes, so I thought I’d give a little update. Cravings are not bad at all even if I’m in the room with some delicious smelling food...I haven’t even been tempted. I haven’t been counting my calories, but I know for a fact I’m eating well under my maintenance. I occasionally feel a little fatigued or sick, but then I eat a little more potato and I feel energetic right after. I worked a 12 hour shift today and walked for an hour on my break. I have also been doing some light exercises nothing too extreme. Overall I do feel lighter and my stomach looks flatter. I’m tempted to weigh in, but scared that it will demotivate me if it hasn’t gone down.
  • cattime likes this

#6 JihiroM

JihiroM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 09:22 PM

It’s 8pm at the end of my fifth day now. Still feel like I could go forever. I get cravings for other veggies and fish, but not for anything junky. I like potato’s a lot so I look forward to my meals and they fill me up without causing me to feel bad about the weight of it in my stomach. After I eat I feel really hyper and focused. I do notice that my brain seems to skip around a little more on just potatoes. I wouldn’t go longer than my set time just because of this. I think I’ll weigh myself tomorrow morning, so I can see if it’s doing anything. Even 1 pound less would make me feel better about sticking to this for the next 15-17 days.

#7 JihiroM

JihiroM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 02:23 PM

Just woke up around 1pm (I work the late shift at work) and finally did a weigh in. At the beginning of this I was 165 and now I’m 158.6! That’s 6.4 lbs down in about five days :) which is crazy considering I’ve been putting too much salt and mustard and hot sauce on all my potatoes. I drink almost a gallon of water a day, but I did that before I started this diet. Also have been having one cup of black coffee a day. I still feel good and am looking forward to more potatoes.
  • cattime likes this

#8 Arcticfox

Arcticfox

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 07:07 PM

You might want to try mashed potatoes with milk mixed in - the milk makes it creamier like butter would but with more calcium and lower calories.

Height: 1.58m

CW: 55.2kg

HW: 57kg BMI: 22.8

LW: 38kg BMI: 15.2

UGW: 42kg

#9 JihiroM

JihiroM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 11:01 AM

You might want to try mashed potatoes with milk mixed in - the milk makes it creamier like butter would but with more calcium and lower calories.

That’s a good idea, but unfortunately I don’t drink milk unless it’s in yogurt form :( the 0% Greek yogurt is really low calorie though. I stopped adding it in because I ran out and have just been eating plain potatoes with mustard, salt, and hot sauce on the side. I add water if they are too lumpy.

#10 JihiroM

JihiroM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 11:11 AM

Last night I ate more potatoes then I usually do. I don’t feel too bad about it, because I was feeling anxious and having a bit more food helped only because potatoes now feel like a safe food. It wasn’t a binge, just a bit more than I would usually eat compared to the past week on this diet. My first day was last Thursday and I’m pleasantly surprised at how easy this has been. As long as I add enough salt I feel more than fine. I use to eat a lot of meat so I’m shocked that I don’t miss it at all. I miss other vegetables and noodles the most, but I could easily keep going the remaining 10 days.

#11 JihiroM

JihiroM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 11:12 AM

It’s the 9th or 10th day? I started Thursday on the fifth so if I count that as day one it’ll be the beginning of day 10 now. I feel really good so far. I haven’t weighed myself again, but I do fit into my old jeans a little better than I did a month ago. I’m about to go into work for a ten hour shift, I have my potatoes all packed up for the day. It’s amazing how 200 calories of potatoes can fill me up for hours. Including today I have 8 more days until my mom visits and then I’ll take a five day break. I’m going to continue with potatoes after that break, but add in some other veggies and a smoothie here and there.

#12 JihiroM

JihiroM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 12:35 PM

It’s the beginning of day 14, so far so haven’t tracked my calories at all. Last night, however, I decided to see how much I’m eating on this diet. I weighed all the potatoes I ate yesterday and it added up to around 900 calories. I really thought I was eating more than that. That’s probably seems high for a lot of people, but that’s really low for me considering I’ve spent the last year binging waaaaay more than that. I feel like this is a good diet for those who are stuck in binge mode. I feel really full, but also a lot thinner. I’m not weighing myself again until after my period goes away. It really sucks having it back now that I’ve adjusted to my birth control. I have two more days after today to be on only potatoes. This is the longest I’ve been able to stick to a diet plan in about two years. I will weigh in and share my results on the morning after the last day here. And I’ll make a post in Diet Results as well.
  • cattime likes this

#13 deduzione

deduzione

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 07:35 AM

So how did it go? 😊 I'd love to try this diet myself!

#14 JihiroM

JihiroM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 10:23 PM

So how did it go? 😊 I'd love to try this diet myself!

Hey sorry for the late reply! My mom was in town so I got really distracted. I finished on day 17 at 155 pounds. So that’s 10 lbs in 17 days. Not too bad! I’m back on the diet now, but I’m adding a little bit of Salmon because without any fat in my diet my skin was terribly dry. So now I just have a little bit of salmon and a LOT of potatoes, but I’m staying in between 1,000-1,200 calories a day. I gained some weight back but only from drinking and eating so much over my thanksgiving holiday. Overall this diet was a 8/10 I felt full and still lost weight. If you’re a volume eater I highly recommend potatoes!
  • hellrxp.n0thingleft and deduzione like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users