Does high carb lowfat really work? - Vegetarian/Vegan/Raw Food Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Does high carb lowfat really work?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Coffee_and_Collarbones

Coffee_and_Collarbones

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 02:55 PM

I've been tracking my macros lately, and I usually do a 60/20/20 (whole foods plant based). I'm trying to build some lean muscle and lose belly fat. I'm thinking about trying HCLF again, but sometimes I find that while eating that way gives me lots of energy, I also get intense cravings that I don't get on my usual diet. Does eating more or less carbs/fat really make much of a difference or is it mostly just calories in/calories out?

"The parasite can be restrained, but not destroyed. But no matter.. It is a beautiful thing to be made of porcelain."

giphy.gif

#2 VioletSkyy

VioletSkyy

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1443 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 November 2020 - 03:00 PM

got me to my LW but it was with restriction, I know some people advocate for 3000+cals and 80/10/10 but I can't deal with that and it made me hate mangos haha

...::Change happens when the pain of change is less than the pain of remaining the same::...

...stats moved to profile...

UGW - who fucking knows?

Do it for yourself first.

#3 Erin44

Erin44

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationNew York, USA

Posted 16 November 2020 - 01:45 AM

I mean, to an extent you can eat an excess of carbs and it doesn't put on as much weight as excess fat. But it's basically just a slight distortion of CICO because it's harder to convert carbs to body fat than fat. So e.g. you could maintain at 2200Cal at 60/20/20 but maybe you could maintain with eating 2800Cal at 80/10/10.

If you mean like 2000s Youtuber HCLF trend, where a lot of them were fruitarian and/or raw, you can see now that a lot of people who did that have gained weight, have bad digestive problems, etc. because they restricted too many beneficial WFPB foods.

It's definitely not a magic bullet by any means. Plus, if you're trying to put on muscle to any extent, you don't want to drop your protein. You should have minimum 0.8g protein per kg body weight, maximum 1.8g/kg body weight. Also, women are recommended to keep at least 20% fat for proper hormone functioning. Personally, I'd say 15% fat would be fine, but definitely wouldn't suggest 10%.

I wouldn't worry about macros much. It's really just CICO + enough protein to create the muscle.

Personally, I would just focus on keeping it WFPB and let the macros fall where they may (provided you meet micronutrient needs). Some people like a little more fat or carbs in their diet and generally, whatever is healthy and most sustainable for you is probably what's best. If your body does well on 60/20/20, I think that's perfect! Like I wouldn't bother cutting things like walnuts or tofu out to be more HCLF.

I think I probably fluctuate between 60/20/20 and 70/15/15, with a higher % protein/fat when I'm eating less calories because that's what my body does well with.

Future dietician, so let me know if you have any questions! :D

♥Vegan since April 11, 2017♥

Climber & Hiker | PTSD & MDD

6'6"

HW (12/22/2015): 175.2 (28.3)

LW (1/17/2017): 128.4 (20.7)

SW (11/10/2020): 148.0 (23.9)

CW: 135.8 (21.9)

134 133 132 131 130

129 128

127 126 125

124 (20.0)