Maskne? - Beauty, Health and Wellness - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Maskne?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 little.red.

little.red.

Wildly Inappropriate Whore

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1435 posts
  • LocationCassiopeia

Posted 12 November 2020 - 11:39 AM

So I have horrible horrible acne around my mouth, chin and cheeks lately. I'm 99% sure its from wearing my mask for 9+ hours at work with no a/c. 

anyone else dealing with this? how are you fixing/preventing it? I've heard silk masks as better for your skin, I've heard of people spritzing toner or something in their mask every few hours....

I wash them after every 1-2 uses, I wash my face 2x a day and maintain my usual routine from when my skin was clear every day, but i have seriously deep black heads and painful red bumps. Help?

*cackles in self-loathing*

5'-4"
cw: 102 bmi 17.5
gw: 89 bmi 15

"We are all just trying to be holy" - Richard Siken
"There is magic in this, and terror" - Amy Lowell

#2 Heart of Ice

Heart of Ice

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on planet earth

Posted 12 November 2020 - 04:56 PM

Is there a possibility for you to switch your mask during the day? Because if there is you could always bring 2 or maybe even 3 masks to your work and switch them halfway through the day or after every 3 hours. Taking (reusable) cottonpads and a toner with you and swipe off your face in between every mask change might also help with taking away bacteria.

Also try to use masks made from natural fibers such as linen, tencil, bamboo or silk, instead of cotton as cotton is quite a thick and heavy material compared to the others.

And when you're home you can maybe soak them in some water and a tiny drop of some mild soap, and then wring them out and let them dry. This way you won't need to wash all your masks everyday but they still stay 'fresh'. You could also just wash them every day if you prefer that.

Furthermore you could change your skincare a bit. I don't know if you're already using an exfoliant but salicylic acid really helps me with keeping maskne at bay. You can just apply it locally like I do instead of all over your face and build it up if you need more, but don't overdo it because it can disrupt your skin barrier.

Hope it helps!
  • little.red. likes this

Height: 5'1 / 154,5 cm.

CW: 86 lbs / 39 kg.

BMI: 16,3.

GW1: 84 lbs / 38 kg.

GW2: 80 lbs / 36 kg.

GW3: 76 lbs / 34 kg.

UGW: 72 lbs / 32,5 kg.

#3 Ubermoron

Ubermoron

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 06:05 PM

I heavily recommend the first tip above. My second recommendation would be get a plastic mask insert that lifts the mask from touching your face in the nose to chin area but keeps things secure too

#4 tutifruitibooti

tutifruitibooti

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 November 2020 - 02:43 PM

Also try to use masks made from natural fibers such as linen, tencil, bamboo or silk, instead of cotton as cotton is quite a thick and heavy material compared to the others.

Cotton is a natural fibre, and will let your skin breath much better than a heavily processed fibre like tencil or bamboo. There are alsostudies that show a cotton mask with a high thread count is MUCH safer than silk, bamboo, or other looser woven materials. Please stay safe <3

But the other advice about switching masks frequently and cleansing between is great advice!

Challenges:

Fantasy Challenge (Jan 4 - Feb 28 2021)

Tutifruitibooti's Weight Loss Accountability #2

tumblr_mg295gDqJE1s2n5k4o1_500.gif

145 ---  130 --- 125 124 123 122 121 120

#5 Heart of Ice

Heart of Ice

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on planet earth

Posted 14 November 2020 - 05:23 PM

Cotton is a natural fibre, and will let your skin breath much better than a heavily processed fibre like tencil or bamboo. There are alsostudies that show a cotton mask with a high thread count is MUCH safer than silk, bamboo, or other looser woven materials. Please stay safe <3

But the other advice about switching masks frequently and cleansing between is great advice!

Ohhh I didn't know, but thank you so much for the information! I guess I still really have to get used to wearing masks and research what kind is safe. The government where I live has only been advising people to wear a mask since the middle of october, while the amount of people that have tested positive for covid has been going up with hundreds a day since july :(.

Stay safe as well <3

Height: 5'1 / 154,5 cm.

CW: 86 lbs / 39 kg.

BMI: 16,3.

GW1: 84 lbs / 38 kg.

GW2: 80 lbs / 36 kg.

GW3: 76 lbs / 34 kg.

UGW: 72 lbs / 32,5 kg.

#6 whiskerz

whiskerz

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2392 posts
  • LocationU.S.-MN

Posted 27 November 2020 - 01:29 PM

I changed my whole makeup routine for mine. I used to do intensive moisturizer followed by primer, then apply my makeup. I now do a light moisturizer, and I use vaseline/ petroleum jelly as a primer. The tackiness is a bit weird so only use a little bit. I also bought a charcoal face soap and instead of daily, I need to use it every other day. I had to stop using witch hazel which was ALWAYS my go to, but yours sounds like you might need that? Mine are painful red bumps and deep white heads that pop really grossly.
I typically have weekends off, so my first day off I use pore strips, then a nice pomegranate face mask that makes all my goop come to the surface. The second day I do a moisturizing face mask, then I use derm tools to get the stuff off. Since I only do it once a week it's not so abrasive for MY skin, but I don't think it's healthy to do it really frequently.
Mine has started clearing up after about 2 months of making changes. I've got some gross scars on my chin/ jawline now, blah. I'm using tea tree oil followed by bio oil to clear them up.
  • karmatrash likes this

#7 fatggot

fatggot

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 01:37 PM

I mean, at least you know the mask is working. The point is to trap perspiration carrying bacteria and having the acne kinda shows the bacteria is staying within the mask. You are protecting others, thank you.

Also look up mask inserts to keep it off your skin in the inside. The acne could be from irritation. A lot of autistic people and others with sensory issues use them.

Accountibility: not pro-anything, not here to encourage others

Height: 5'5.75

Highest/Starting Weight: 200 (1.13.2020)

Weight: 145.6

GW: I just wanna take up less space.

"Everyone must suffer one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret."

#8 scarecrows

scarecrows

wildly inappropriate whore

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6020 posts
  • Locationhow.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................long.............................................can my..............................location............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................be

Posted 03 December 2020 - 11:23 AM

im late, but wash your mask!! for me, old skin oils build up and cause maskne

╔⊶⊷⊷⊶⊷⊷⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

ᵇᵉᵗᵗᵉʳ ᵗᵒ ᶜᵘᵐ ⁱⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ˢⁱⁿᵏ ᵗʰᵃⁿ ˢⁱⁿᵏ ⁱⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ᶜᵘᵐ

╚⊶⊶⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╝

pcAR0Ne.gif

(ʟʙᴍɪ: 13.2 ʜʙᴍɪ: 28.5)  an, ocd, depression

Spoiler

#9 karmatrash

karmatrash

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 January 2021 - 08:29 AM

I changed my whole makeup routine for mine. I used to do intensive moisturizer followed by primer, then apply my makeup. I now do a light moisturizer, and I use vaseline/ petroleum jelly as a primer. The tackiness is a bit weird so only use a little bit. I also bought a charcoal face soap and instead of daily, I need to use it every other day. I had to stop using witch hazel which was ALWAYS my go to, but yours sounds like you might need that? Mine are painful red bumps and deep white heads that pop really grossly.
I typically have weekends off, so my first day off I use pore strips, then a nice pomegranate face mask that makes all my goop come to the surface. The second day I do a moisturizing face mask, then I use derm tools to get the stuff off. Since I only do it once a week it's not so abrasive for MY skin, but I don't think it's healthy to do it really frequently.
Mine has started clearing up after about 2 months of making changes. I've got some gross scars on my chin/ jawline now, blah. I'm using tea tree oil followed by bio oil to clear them up.

Good tips, thank you! Can you tell me the name of the pomegranate face mask you use? 

★★★

height: 5'7"

gw: 118

★★★

fitbit

myfitnesspal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users