Diana's bulimia on "The Crown" - Page 2 - Bulimia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Diana's bulimia on "The Crown"

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 shiju333

shiju333

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1556 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 November 2020 - 12:19 PM

I don't suppose someone will make a compilation of the bulimia scenes. I just saw how many episodes there were and forget that. Too much time dedication. Haha.

Or maybe a list if the episodes involving it...

I did watch the first two episodes, but frankly I find TV so boring and unengaged. Meh.
  • AlmostVegan likes this

"The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain." ~ Karl Marx

#22 Zeroquel

Zeroquel

Omniscient

• Supporter
  • 4021 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 01:46 PM

What worries me is also the typical glamorisation of bulimia: I feel like they glossed over her purging and focused on the more "glamorous" aspects of having an ED, such as eating / not eating and being thin. Yes, her purges did look painful, but just not enough. And she seemed to almost enjoy bingeing? I don't know about anyone else, but I usually cry my eyes out and hate myself whenever I binge...

I haven't seen The Crown, but in fact I am annoyed of binging since it goes with purging and hours of wasted time, but I don't hate it - Sometimes I really enjoy all the food after a hard day with low restriction. Has to be pretty shitty when you hate it that much :/

No purging marks may just be because she purges without her hands. I can't even do it with my fingers and never could.

#23 Pickles440

Pickles440

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 02:14 PM

Oh man! The food high is REAL! I hate it.

#24 Blanket Barbie

Blanket Barbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 November 2020 - 10:08 PM

100% I haven't watched it yet but I was wondering if they depicted it at all in the show, her keeping her head it the toilet is ridiculous but kinda funny like they missed the mark a bit there and I will never get why they always depict purging while sitting or kneeling its so stereotypical although I guess when vomiting normally you kneel but still anytime I see it in TV (The Boys) and a character is kneeling (mostly for some dramatic reveal) it bugs me.

• girl-with-the-most-cake likes this
                                                                                                                File 000

Please God, don't let me be normal.

#25 Arlona2000

Arlona2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 18 November 2020 - 11:05 PM

Yes she is on the Season 4 of Crown ... I heard she started doing it the week after she got enaged..  she was at a size 29 waist then and day of her wedding she was a size 23 waist. She talks about this also in the Netflix documentary ¨ Diana in her own words" needless to say I watched it twice so far. Cant get over my fasciation with her and what caused her to binge. 

• music4life likes this

#26 ememem123

ememem123

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 01:58 AM

Are there other scenes portraying bulimia besides that one where she purges?

#27 dinа

dinа

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 02:30 AM

i want to watch it now

cw : 54.5 kg ugw1 : 50 kg ugw2 : 45 kg  height : 169 cm

UA1hzsw.png

me putting the better off alone n unlock it remix by charli xcx featuring kim petras on repeat

#28 girl-with-the-most-cake

girl-with-the-most-cake

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 04:46 AM

Oh!!!!! I was wondering if they included her bulimic disorder in the show!

As for your question yeah I find it weird too lol... maybe it’s psychological but I “like” to be able to visualize how much I have purged.

BTW: for anyone who’s watched the show, I haven’t watch the previous seasons... will I be lost if I only watch Diana’s?

Not at all. I haven't watched any of the previous seasons either, but if you roughly know the history, it's really easy to jump straight in.

• featherstone likes this

can't believe I'm 25 and still here

she / her 

#29 girl-with-the-most-cake

girl-with-the-most-cake

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 04:50 AM

I don't suppose someone will make a compilation of the bulimia scenes. I just saw how many episodes there were and forget that. Too much time dedication. Haha.

Or maybe a list if the episodes involving it...

I did watch the first two episodes, but frankly I find TV so boring and unengaged. Meh.

I think there's only 2 or 3 bulimia scenes, so not that many (episodes 3 and 6 for sure). Guess they're too "drastic" to be featured more prominently on TV

• Jacqueline_356 likes this

she / her 

#30 girl-with-the-most-cake

girl-with-the-most-cake

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 04:52 AM

Brushing teeth after purging tho  :unsure:

I knowwww, I felt so sorry for her! Don't know if she actually did it or is it just the imagination of the TV producers...

Lol I know the girl who plays Diana

But agreed. Also wonder if Diana covered her hand marks as I can’t see them in any photos and I don’t know a way of purging which doesn’t mark my hand

It's weird I've never marked my hand and I always used my fingers...maybe it has to do it mouth size, like a have a big mouth or something lmao

Same! I've always been purging with my hands but never really got a Russel's sign or mark or whatever it is called. I guess it really depends on the person, maybe she was just lucky like that. 

she / her 

#31 shiju333

shiju333

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1556 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 November 2020 - 12:34 PM

I think there's only 2 or 3 bulimia scenes, so not that many (episodes 3 and 6 for sure). Guess they're too "drastic" to be featured more prominently on TV

Episode 10 for a fact. Thanks for parsing it down!
  • Jacqueline_356 likes this

"The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain." ~ Karl Marx

#32 VonRothbart

VonRothbart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 01:56 PM

What worries me is also the typical glamorisation of bulimia: I feel like they glossed over her purging and focused on the more "glamorous" aspects of having an ED, such as eating / not eating and being thin. Yes, her purges did look painful, but just not enough. And she seemed to almost enjoy bingeing? I don't know about anyone else, but I usually cry my eyes out and hate myself whenever I binge... 

No, I don't think so. I can agree on the other points: as usual, bulimia is shown in some kind of 'pretty' and 'glamorous' way; it isn't nearly messy and dirty enough, no swollen face, puke covering half her face, backsplash in her hair etc. But the way they depicted it, is definitely in a very cold and lonely way. You can feel how isolated she feels, how alone and lost. And there is one scene during the Australian tour, when tears run down her face and she just stares at herself in the mirror, seemingly not even seeing her reflection, perhaps from dizziness. I've done that a lot too. I definitely don't think they painted bulimia in too glamorous a shade and the viewer discretion warning was warranted imho.

• Zeroquel and TotalKnockout like this

#33 VonRothbart

VonRothbart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 01:58 PM

Brushing teeth after purging tho   :unsure:

I knowwww, I felt so sorry for her! Don't know if she actually did it or is it just the imagination of the TV producers...

Remember this was the time before the internet. If it wasn't for the internet, I never would have known to not brush my teeth immediately after but wait for at least an hour.

• ugly_vodianova and TotalKnockout like this

#34 hes/simple/hes/dumb

hes/simple/hes/dumb

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationPurgatory

Posted 19 November 2020 - 01:58 PM

AND WHO PURGES SITTING

i do bc i often collapse after

Height 5'5"

LW: 65 HW: 117.3 SW: 115 CW: 91 GW1: 98 UGW: 88

cbmi: 15.1

#35 WhateverIcan

WhateverIcan

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:52 AM

was anyone else quite triggered though? I've been watching all things diana over the past two or three weeks, particularly "Diana in her own words" - as well as reading the book lol. After seeing her get so skinny and describing the release feeling I started purging loads.

Sounds so mad but I guess it did in a way glamourise it and was wondering if anyone else also felt almost attracted to bulimia after watching...? 

• fairy-wings likes this

#36 kevi

kevi

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6633 posts
  • LocationSouth

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:03 AM

1) I generally found it extremely relatable. I think they did a great job portraying bulimia in general, the binges and emotional turmoil usually seem to be left out.

2) Binge scenes were great. Large spoonfuls delivered quickly. Comforting but painful. Lots of water chugging. The water chugging was brilliantly honest.

3) purging was not messy enough. I know there was backlash on what was included already - but it was not enough to make it nasty and unappealing. God knows, in real life it is nasty.

4) I’ve said previously, they made Diana fit the magic pixie dream girl trope to a T. I hate this. It makes everything she does desirable, no matter how gross or messy. This trope is going to trigger people to try bulimic behaviours.

Conclusion: even though the portrayal really spoke to my bulimic truth, it didn’t go far enough. Make it messy, make it raw, make it honest. Bulimia isn’t something you can really dress up for TV, I guess.
  • VonRothbart and girl-with-the-most-cake like this

I spent this year as a ghost. ___________________________________

uvCCfHz.png

#37 WhateverIcan

WhateverIcan

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:26 AM

agreed. I did like the fact she was panting after purging, because honestly sometimes my whole body convulses by panting after vomiting so much... also much more tears, saliva and wrenching from the acid  :blink:

#38 WhateverIcan

WhateverIcan

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:30 AM

https://www.independ...-b1722477.html 

xxx

#39 girl-with-the-most-cake

girl-with-the-most-cake

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:20 AM

1) I generally found it extremely relatable. I think they did a great job portraying bulimia in general, the binges and emotional turmoil usually seem to be left out.

2) Binge scenes were great. Large spoonfuls delivered quickly. Comforting but painful. Lots of water chugging. The water chugging was brilliantly honest.

3) purging was not messy enough. I know there was backlash on what was included already - but it was not enough to make it nasty and unappealing. God knows, in real life it is nasty.

4) I’ve said previously, they made Diana fit the magic pixie dream girl trope to a T. I hate this. It makes everything she does desirable, no matter how gross or messy. This trope is going to trigger people to try bulimic behaviours.

Conclusion: even though the portrayal really spoke to my bulimic truth, it didn’t go far enough. Make it messy, make it raw, make it honest. Bulimia isn’t something you can really dress up for TV, I guess.

thank you, I 100% agree with every single point. Especially the "manic pixie dream girl", detached from reality, rollerskating through Buckingham Palace and bingeing on petit fours.

• kevi, VonRothbart, skoorbyllim and 1 other like this

she / her 

#40 Flora039

Flora039

fucking whora

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationBelgium (:

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:54 PM

I purge laying down sometimes, is that weird? Lol