Diana's bulimia on "The Crown" - Page 3 - Bulimia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Diana's bulimia on "The Crown"

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#41 Thermodynamic Rat

Thermodynamic Rat

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:31 PM

AND WHO PURGES SITTING

I have before actually. Only ever into a trashcan though, I never watched the movie so I'm not sure exactly what scene you're talking about. 

#42 Grindylow

Grindylow

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1304 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:39 PM

Ooh ooh ooh I was waiting for a post on the new season!

First of all, I love Princess Diana and had already watched every documentary on her and knew a lot so I went into the new season head first.

1. I’m actually pleasantly surprised with how they portrayed bulimia, especially of a royal, I was expecting a short scene of her running to the bathroom in a princess gown and tiara and the scene being cut there. Obviously the portrayal wasn’t exactly like real life, but it was a lot more graphic than many other shows and than what I expected.

2. As someone said, there was no internet then so things we ‘know’ she wouldn’t have known and what I think is interesting is bc there was no internet, media didn’t influence her disorder so it’s kinda ‘pure’ (THIS IS TERRIBLY WORDED plz don’t come at but like I’m definitely influenced by the shit I’ve read so it’s interesting when people aren’t).

4. I do like how they showed it was kinda immediate and she had 0 support and was a direct response to stress.

5. I wanted to know what happened when she was pregnant? Did she still b/p? Who knows.

6. Not really to do with bulimia but I wasn’t totally sold on the actress (sorry for the person who knows her), she’s an excellent actress, but isn’t ‘Diana’ in the way that’s been previously shown (but that could be the media at the time)

7. Damnnnn Charles and Camilla gonna get some backlash lol.

8. Also unrelated but excuse me where was the WEDDING. That’s the shit I signed up for.
  • VonRothbart, Zeroquel, Crystal Visions and 1 other like this
original.gif

5'7 (170cm)   CW: 106 (48kg)   BMI: 16.6   HW: 145?  GW: recovery

#43 VonRothbart

VonRothbart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 03:17 AM

First of all, I love Princess Diana and had already watched every documentary on her and knew a lot so I went into the new season head first.

1. I’m actually pleasantly surprised with how they portrayed bulimia, especially of a royal, I was expecting a short scene of her running to the bathroom in a princess gown and tiara and the scene being cut there. Obviously the portrayal wasn’t exactly like real life, but it was a lot more graphic than many other shows and than what I expected.

2. As someone said, there was no internet then so things we ‘know’ she wouldn’t have known and what I think is interesting is bc there was no internet, media didn’t influence her disorder so it’s kinda ‘pure’ (THIS IS TERRIBLY WORDED plz don’t come at but like I’m definitely influenced by the shit I’ve read so it’s interesting when people aren’t).

4. I do like how they showed it was kinda immediate and she had 0 support and was a direct response to stress.

5. I wanted to know what happened when she was pregnant? Did she still b/p? Who knows.

6. Not really to do with bulimia but I wasn’t totally sold on the actress (sorry for the person who knows her), she’s an excellent actress, but isn’t ‘Diana’ in the way that’s been previously shown (but that could be the media at the time)

8. Also unrelated but excuse me where was the WEDDING. That’s the shit I signed up for.

4. I think the way they depicted the royal family in that regard was very realistic indeed. A lot of people do not understand eating disorders, bulimia even less than anorexia and, again, this was before the internet so no one had any kind of resource readily available to understand. They did leave out the part where Charles apparently called her 'chubby' which, according to Diana, was what triggered her bulimia. But that's just what she says about it and as much as I like Diana, I do take everything she says with a grain of salt because she was definitely out to paint the royals in as bad a light as possible after the divorce. 

5. That is not known. In the bio 'Diana in her own words' she doesn't speak about the eating disorder during her pregnancies. Seeing as she did throw herself down a flight of stairs while 4 months pregnant, I do think it's safe to assume she didn't strictly forbid herelf from b/p-ing while pregnant. She was still only human and being at an age myself where I see a lot of peers get pregnant... they're still human. Pregnancy doesn't magically change anything about your morality or anything; one of them had a hard time giving up smoking and drinking and continued to do so for a month or so after finding out she had a bun in the oven, the other had the same thing with weed. Yes, it's bad, no question. But it's human. So, considering Diana's pregnancies both happened during a time her eating disorder was at a peak, I reckon it's safe to assume she b/p-ed at least once during both. 

Edit: P.S.: I adore your signature gif. 

#44 pickle-love

pickle-love

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, USA

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:43 PM

Idk but I found the actress INCREDIBLY triggering. Especially the scene where she dances alone in the ballroom. Her back bones were just mesmerizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 y/o | Height = 5'4 | CW: 126.8 lbs | HW: 137 lbs | GW: 120 lbs | UGW: 100 lbs

#45 Scoobertishangry

Scoobertishangry

wildly inappropriate soup whore

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1147 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 08:37 AM

I haven’t been watching this but did see an article saying camilla had to turn off commenting on some social media account now because of backlash, I’m probably not going to watch the show but also desperately wanna know the tea 💀

#46 SunFromHell

SunFromHell

The Hell Whore

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2715 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:43 PM

I never thought of watching it but you just got me on it.
Also have anyone ever seen a realistic purge on tv cause not me lol

• gilgi likes this
tumblr_oxq30xZWSb1rlpdfuo2_540.gif
tumblr_oxq30xZWSb1rlpdfuo1_540.gif

#47 shiju333

shiju333

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1556 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 November 2020 - 04:11 PM

Not TV, but the movie "life is sweet" is pretty realistic in my opinion.
  • SunFromHell likes this

"The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain." ~ Karl Marx

#48 kevi

kevi

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 6633 posts
  • LocationSouth

Posted 25 November 2020 - 04:58 PM

Half the problem is it’s probably real different for everyone who purges. I bend over and instantly, silently hands-free everything out in a few long gulps, head practically in the bowl to minimise noise. That does not make for realistic television.
  • VanillaCW, girl-with-the-most-cake, datahoe and 1 other like this

I spent this year as a ghost. ___________________________________

uvCCfHz.png

#49 SunFromHell

SunFromHell

The Hell Whore

• Accountability access
  • 2715 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 November 2020 - 05:06 PM

Half the problem is it’s probably real different for everyone who purges. I bend over and instantly, silently hands-free everything out in a few long gulps, head practically in the bowl to minimise noise. That does not make for realistic television.

Yea you’re not wrong! I used to purge like you and I feel like that’s actually very accurate picture of a pro bulimic.
But I’d also use toothbrush sometimes. But I was never kneeling or sitting cause gravity is your friend here.

• kevi likes this

#50 kevi

kevi

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 6633 posts
  • LocationSouth

Posted 25 November 2020 - 05:10 PM

Yea you’re not wrong! I used to purge like you and I feel like that’s actually very accurate picture of a pro bulimic.
But I’d also use toothbrush sometimes. But I was never kneeling or sitting cause gravity is your friend here.

I mean, I kneel and sit too sometimes when I’m really tired lol. And if I’m purging into containers, I’ll always do that sitting. What I would never do though is drape myself over the toilet, because splashback vom and gross. Why do they always show people hugging the damn thing?
  • SunFromHell and girl-with-the-most-cake like this

uvCCfHz.png

#51 valfreyja

valfreyja

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 05:28 PM

I mean, I kneel and sit too sometimes when I’m really tired lol. And if I’m purging into containers, I’ll always do that sitting. What I would never do though is drape myself over the toilet, because splashback vom and gross. Why do they always show people hugging the damn thing?

I wonder if it's because their experience of vomiting into a toilet is either being physically ill and exhausted or so drunk that you're leaning anywhere... So they just assume vomiting position takes the same form with purging

#52 SunFromHell

SunFromHell

The Hell Whore

• Accountability access
  • 2715 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 November 2020 - 05:33 PM

Lmao dramatic effect i guess. But kudos to you cause i could never purge kneeling or sitting. My habit was to bend over to the point i could almost stand on my head (if there wasn't a toilet under it lol)

#53 kevi

kevi

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 6633 posts
  • LocationSouth

Posted 25 November 2020 - 05:51 PM

I wonder if it's because their experience of vomiting into a toilet is either being physically ill and exhausted or so drunk that you're leaning anywhere... So they just assume vomiting position takes the same form with purging

Even in those situations though, I’d be leaning on walls or the bath or the shower, not on the loo? Pretty much the same as when I’m purging and exhausted. There’s just a certain ick factor to cradling the toilet which I don’t think I could get past, no matter how sick - and I’m bulimic, so I’ve obviously done way grosser things lol.

I just mean, surely non-bulimic people are more grossed out by it than I am?
  • VanillaCW likes this

uvCCfHz.png

#54 valfreyja

valfreyja

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 06:06 PM

Even in those situations though, I’d be leaning on walls or the bath or the shower, not on the loo? Pretty much the same as when I’m purging and exhausted. There’s just a certain ick factor to cradling the toilet which I don’t think I could get past, no matter how sick - and I’m bulimic, so I’ve obviously done way grosser things lol.

Yes true! I don't think I do it myself either. It just doesn't make much sense why else it's always portrayed like that... Maybe they think we don't care about touching the toilet or putting our heads down there because we spend so much time there lol, or perhaps it's just a more visually dramatic way of showing purging

#55 bythestreams

bythestreams

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3198 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 01:49 AM

I haven't seen The Crown, but in fact I am annoyed of binging since it goes with purging and hours of wasted time, but I don't hate it - Sometimes I really enjoy all the food after a hard day with low restriction. Has to be pretty shitty when you hate it that much :/

No purging marks may just be because she purges without her hands. I can't even do it with my fingers and never could.

Omg, me either! I've been purging for the better part of my ED, or purging for about 16 years, and I could NEVER purge except for hands-free!
  • Zeroquel likes this

#56 wisteriaa

wisteriaa

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 946 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 10:22 AM

normally you kneel but still anytime I see it in TV (The Boys) and a character is kneeling (mostly for some dramatic reveal) it bugs me.

wait.... who was bulimic in The Boys?

5'7.5

hw- 136 lb

cw- 119.8

gw- 115

ugw- 105

bmi- 18.7

check out my accountability!

#57 Blanket Barbie

Blanket Barbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 November 2020 - 06:46 PM

wait.... who was bulimic in The Boys?

Annie/Starlight, there's several scenes throughout the show of her like purging in the bathroom and a mini scandal happened cause a girl from her high school posted that she was bulimic when they were in high school.

File 000

Please God, don't let me be normal.

#58 DonutBabe

DonutBabe

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1041 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 10:53 PM

I haven’t watched it yet but I’m actually kinda intrigued cos the media in general tends to gloss over her bulimia even tho she spoke about it a lot

Spoiler

5'2.5"

HW: 130 lb (2014) // LW: 65.0 lbs (2021)

CW: 65.0-70lbs (trying to gain/ maintain)  // bmi ~12.0 but who cares 

we all die u either kill urself or get killed

🕸️🍬👻

accountability(recent)

#59 girl-with-the-most-cake

girl-with-the-most-cake

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 02:46 PM

to be fair, my flatmate got blackout drunk a couple of nights ago and the way she was throwing up was exactly like that: half-lying on the floor, hugging the loo, head in the bowl. Maybe that's how normal people throw up? lol

• kevi likes this

can't believe I'm 25 and still here

she / her 

#60 TotalKnockout

TotalKnockout

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 28 November 2020 - 07:20 PM

Y'all purge standing???