Sorry I'm late, but To The Bone is so terrible - Page 2 - Movies and TV Shows - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Sorry I'm late, but To The Bone is so terrible

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 sad_hamlet_with_a_knife

sad_hamlet_with_a_knife

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:18 PM

I could not stand how hard they were trying to make it seem like the therapy was ~no bullshit~ while the therapist seemed ridiculously easy to manipulate.
I have seen it like 80 times because it's SUCH good thinspo, but everything else about it is intolerable.
  • allinmyhead and winterchai like this

I guess I just want my invisible jet. 

tumblr_n0ijpgCZnY1ry7xw9o1_500.gif

#22 wastoid

wastoid

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 04:59 AM

fortunately i dont remember a lot about it except that it was so bad i couldn't even get through it in more than one sitting 

Rsunziy.png

hw: 156 | cw: 139 | gw: 110

#23 R4DF3M

R4DF3M

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 05:33 AM

yes I was totally thrown off by the literal attack in the garden like???? what the hell that's lowkey assault and he got mad? nah

• TheBigRedMachine<3, scarecrows and winterchai like this

accountability https://www.myproana...0kg-ugw-55kg-»/  :wub:

GW1: 70kg HIT 2/4/21

GW2: 60kg (BMI: 18.5)

UGW: 55kg (BMI: 17,0)

#24 happy.pants

happy.pants

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 06:33 AM

Ugh horrible. The mother has the same "guilt-tripping" mentality as my mum, super triggering *ugh ugh* the " please understand that you slowly killing yourself is hurting me", yeah you're the mother and I'm sure it's horrible to see someone you love going through that, but do you even realise how much a person actually going through this hurts???
Boy whatsheevencalled was too too intense and obsessed with her, I was actually happy when she yelled at him to back off, he was making me very anxious.
The bottle-feeding thing was nuts, if my mum would ever propose something of the likes I would punch her.
And Lily, poor thing, she allegedly suffered from anorexia herself when youger, and you make her lose all that weight and risk a relapse for what? At least make a decent movie out of it! Hope they paid you well, honey.
Like they did to that poor Tracey Gold, imagine being in recovery and an entire crew is filming you getting fatter and then having people, even though they do so in character, commenting on you being chubby (one of the brothers at the beginning of the film), try not to internalise that ish when in recovery!! Nuts!
Hollywood is obsessed with eating disorders, and everyone in Hollywood has one.
Docus are bad enough for the people involved, however they are necessary to spread awareness, movies are a whole other level of horrible torture.
Rant over.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk
  • Depression blue likes this

my "journal" blog on MPA --> CLICK HERE

Recovery is a mountain I have to climb. I might get stuck when it storms, but this doesn't mean I won't reach the top. 

#25 Monster Man

Monster Man

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in hell, probably

Posted 08 January 2021 - 08:43 AM

Watched this movie for my man Keanu Reeves and to get triggered.

I only stayed for Keanu lol
  • TheBigRedMachine<3, scarecrows, winterchai and 1 other like this

He/Him

169cm | 5'6"

HW: 70kg | BMI: 24.5

CW: 45kg | BMI: 15.5

GW: 40kg | BMI: 14

#26 scarecrows

scarecrows

wildly inappropriate whore

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6635 posts
  • Location.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................shinji ikari's cum hand

Posted 12 January 2021 - 10:25 AM

IM BACK to say can we TALK about how that girls name was Ana or something and she threw up in a paper bag under the bed and no one found it

• Depression blue likes this

╔⊶⊷⊷⊶⊷⊷⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

ᵇᵉᵗᵗᵉʳ ᵗᵒ ᶜᵘᵐ ⁱⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ˢⁱⁿᵏ ᵗʰᵃⁿ ˢⁱⁿᵏ ⁱⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ᶜᵘᵐ

╚⊶⊶⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╝

74a650ffd1707c8e778fab240899c574_w200.gi

CJ92A.gif

click da egg pls

Spoiler

Spoiler

#27 TheBigRedMachine<3

TheBigRedMachine<3

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1322 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 January 2021 - 11:26 AM

Watched this movie for my man Keanu Reeves and to get triggered.

I only stayed for Keanu lol

I love Keanu!!  <3  

I guess spoiler warnings for the few that haven't seen it:

I liked the first half of the movie and while I found Lily Collins to be triggering, it is just isn't one of my favorite Ed movies.  It is easy to go back and watch a movie after all the hype is over and analyze it and it wasn't great.

My favorite character was the step sister.    I hated the baby bottle scene, the vision she had at the end and her therapist suggesting to change her name... is that a thing???   Lucas and how Ellen was the only thing that mattered to him after he found out he could not return to dance.  Really?  Then dude, you are not as recovered as you think you are.  I hated his character.

A lot of people seem to dislike the step mother and while she may have been tone deaf with certain things, she really was the only parent that seemed to give a shit about Ellen. 

• Weigh2Go_26 likes this

Weight: 

Pregnant and due in October 2021.

Trying to cope with doing the right thing for baby while dealing with gaining weight and poor body image.

**PSA - my user name is in reference to my favorite wrestler... starting to think it may be interpreted as something else... :)

#28 TheBigRedMachine<3

TheBigRedMachine<3

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1322 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 January 2021 - 11:29 AM

Ugh horrible. The mother has the same "guilt-tripping" mentality as my mum, super triggering *ugh ugh* the " please understand that you slowly killing yourself is hurting me", yeah you're the mother and I'm sure it's horrible to see someone you love going through that, but do you even realise how much a person actually going through this hurts???
Boy whatsheevencalled was too too intense and obsessed with her, I was actually happy when she yelled at him to back off, he was making me very anxious.
The bottle-feeding thing was nuts, if my mum would ever propose something of the likes I would punch her.
And Lily, poor thing, she allegedly suffered from anorexia herself when youger, and you make her lose all that weight and risk a relapse for what? At least make a decent movie out of it! Hope they paid you well, honey.
Like they did to that poor Tracey Gold, imagine being in recovery and an entire crew is filming you getting fatter and then having people, even though they do so in character, commenting on you being chubby (one of the brothers at the beginning of the film), try not to internalise that ish when in recovery!! Nuts!
Hollywood is obsessed with eating disorders, and everyone in Hollywood has one.
Docus are bad enough for the people involved, however they are necessary to spread awareness, movies are a whole other level of horrible torture.
Rant over.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Well, I will say that Tracey Gold initially turned down "For The Love of Nancy", but said she would be a consultant on the script.  She said after reading it, she realized she had to be in it - she felt a responsibility to make sure it was done right from start to finish.

But I hear you, so fresh in her recovery having to almost re-live the descent all over again.  I wouldn't have been as strong to get through it.

Weight: 

Trying to cope with doing the right thing for baby while dealing with gaining weight and poor body image.

**PSA - my user name is in reference to my favorite wrestler... starting to think it may be interpreted as something else... :)

#29 TheBigRedMachine<3

TheBigRedMachine<3

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1322 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 January 2021 - 11:32 AM

i just rewatched it recently and i forgot how much i hate it

what i hate most aside from the general cringey vibe is how unnecessarily sexualized it is??
like in one of the first scenes she’s doing sit ups in her room but they clearly wanted it to sound like she was doing something else, then of course all the absolute BS with the male character. its almost like he had a fetish for watching her eat, or making her eat. i hate it

also its just so unrealistic how there is virtually no supervision for them, ever.

this movie tried so hard to be like, artsy and unique and its just cringey

UHHH yes that was the worst, the weird sex metaphors or whatever with the candy bar.  I'd be like, "nurse.... get this kid away from me please"...

• anski likes this

Weight: 

#30 TheBigRedMachine<3

TheBigRedMachine<3

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1322 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 January 2021 - 11:37 AM

I'm glad we can all agree that movie was strange and bad. Luke was a creep straight up, I hated him as a character. The fact that they pursued a romantic relationship while in treatment together shows how deluded Hollywood is with their "love conquers all" mentality. The "fuck off voice!" and bottle feeding was so bizarre, my god. Also, towards the end of the movie, Ellen makes a great point about how the treatment didn't do jack shit for any of the patients. Luke loses his career, one girl gets tubed, another has a miscarriage and leaves. They were all restricting/purging, so why did she even bother to return?? How does it inspire anyone to recover? There isn't a single success story in that film so the ending makes no sense. But I have to admit the thinspo is great.

Yup - I was hospitalized way back in the day for my depression and I had started to get close to a male patient.  We had a bit of a flirtation going and the minute the staff picked up on it, they transferred me to a separate section of the hospital where we couldn't see each other.  We only saw each other at meal times, it was very obvious they didn't want us to be close as we both talked about it later and compared what they told us individually.  

AND THEY WERE RIGHT.  We went out on one date after we both were released and it was a freaking disaster. 

• Weigh2Go_26 likes this

Weight: 

#31 Weigh2Go_26

Weigh2Go_26

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 January 2021 - 03:37 PM

At first I really wanted to like that movie but I remember the first time I watched it I was quite offended by the "calorie Asperger's" (I actually have Asperger's Syndrome) and her whole "not that one trend" with the self-harm, I remember thinking to myself, 'umm.. are you serious right now? People who self-harm aren't doing it because it's *trendy*" that comment actually did *** me off quite a bit because it reminded me of how I started self-harming in High School and a girl i was friends with self-harmed for what I believed to be attention more than anything (or she was at the very least loud with her cry of help) she would actively point out her scars, laugh about them and talk about how she cut herself on her neck, her scars weren't a big deal, etc. and i always think about how much I did to hide all my scars because I was so ashamed of them at the time. Anyways, all this to say I really did not like that movie. Feed is probably my favorite ED movie I have watched, and although I don't like TTB I still keep it in my watch list on Netflix. Not to mention that I am sick and tired of romances in ED movies and books.

#32 TheBigRedMachine<3

TheBigRedMachine<3

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1322 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 January 2021 - 10:28 PM

At first I really wanted to like that movie but I remember the first time I watched it I was quite offended by the "calorie Asperger's" (I actually have Asperger's Syndrome) and her whole "not that one trend" with the self-harm, I remember thinking to myself, 'umm.. are you serious right now? People who self-harm aren't doing it because it's *trendy*" that comment actually did *** me off quite a bit because it reminded me of how I started self-harming in High School and a girl i was friends with self-harmed for what I believed to be attention more than anything (or she was at the very least loud with her cry of help) she would actively point out her scars, laugh about them and talk about how she cut herself on her neck, her scars weren't a big deal, etc. and i always think about how much I did to hide all my scars because I was so ashamed of them at the time. Anyways, all this to say I really did not like that movie. Feed is probably my favorite ED movie I have watched, and although I don't like TTB I still keep it in my watch list on Netflix. Not to mention that I am sick and tired of romances in ED movies and books.

I chuckled when the nurse said, "we have a lot of over achievers here" but I 100% agree.  SH was a serious issue for me that landed me in a hospital and even though I haven't really done it in over 10 years, it is still a sensitive subject to me. I thought the movie handled that in poor taste.  And then of course I couldn't help notice the girl had thumb tacks in her room.  So I mean, nurse didn't do that good of a job after making sure to mention she knew all "their tricks". 

Weight: 

#33 Twiggy_girl

Twiggy_girl

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 11:55 AM

I’ve never met a disordered person who actually likes it lmao, everyone was like ‘it’s raising awareness’ when it’s literally just a feature length thinspo partnered with cringe characters that literally made me recoil and unrealistic treatment depictions (they can eat what they want? Seriously? And who let the bulimic/binge eater just sit and eat an entire jar of peanut butter for dinner? In what world would that ever be allowed?!)
  • anski and cambri like this

#34 dancer24601

dancer24601

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 March 2021 - 07:39 PM

I can forgive luke being a terrible human but I can't forgive the bottle feeding scene. I lost my shit. That was the worst. I will admit I watch it every once in a while for the thinspo. But honestly I just watch the first part. 

dancer24601<p>

#35 DemonsInMyHead_x

DemonsInMyHead_x

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 March 2021 - 11:19 PM

Been a while since I saw it but isn't it the generic ED story with an edgy lead? Watched it for the thinspo almost tapped out at the bottle feeding scene- am I remembering right when some girl online killed herself because of MC??? 

130,129,128,127,126,125,124,123,122, 121, 120, 119, 118, 117, 116, 115, 114, 113, 112, 111, 110, 109, 108, 107, 106, 105, 104, 103, 102, 101, 100, 99, 98, 97, 96, 95, 94, 93, 92, 91, 90, 89, 88, 87, 86, 85, 84, 83, 82, 81, 80

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#36 anski

anski

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1049 posts
  • Locationlondon

Posted 22 March 2021 - 04:06 PM

yea it’s a load of shit. i rewatch it sometimes bc lily collins is thinspo goals and bc liana liberato is absolutely adorable (also keanu reeves is bae). i think the character of ellen/eli had potential (even if she’s the epitome of the bitchy anorexic) but everything about the treatment centre, the weird dancer guy, eli’s family and the disturbing refeeding scene was so wrong.

also it irritates me to no end that they allowed lily, who had anorexia, to lose so she’d be underweight when she’s pretty skinny as she is. even if they wanted to go for a super emaciated, extremely low bmi look there’s makeup and cgi (like pregnant bella swan). like it’s obvious lily would jump at the opportunity to be underweight and praised for it. fucking irresponsible and for what?

«𝚒 𝚍𝚒𝚍𝚗’𝚝 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚊 𝚙𝚕𝚊𝚗. 𝚒 𝚑𝚊𝚍 𝚐𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚏. 𝚒 𝚑𝚊𝚍 𝚛𝚊𝚐𝚎. 𝚒 𝚑𝚊𝚍 𝚖𝚢 𝚜𝚎𝚡𝚞𝚊𝚕𝚒𝚝𝚢. 𝚒 𝚕𝚒𝚔𝚎𝚍 𝚋𝚘𝚘𝚔𝚜 𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚗 𝚙𝚎𝚘𝚙𝚕𝚎»

#37 dea-thgrips

dea-thgrips

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationBeijing

Posted 29 April 2021 - 08:38 AM

it’s literally just a feature length thinspo partnered with cringe characters that literally made me recoil

you hit the nail on the head hhhh
I watched it for the first time when I was still in recovery and I was like "this is gonna make me feel bad" and it did but I still liked it but now I realize that I just liked the thinspo, staring at Lily Collins for 105 minutes, and Keanu Reeves. watched it again last night now that I'm in relapse and I was like lmao the thinspo is unreal but the few characters that I actually found compelling got no screen time. will I watch it again? obviously.

you can call me ace / 26 / agender / they/them

"surely, with every hardship comes ease" Qur'an 94:5

···黑夜给了我黑色的眼睛 

我却用它寻找光明···

顾城

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users