will adderall make you lose weight? - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

will adderall make you lose weight?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 scarydemonscx

scarydemonscx

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 12:21 PM

i have an adhd eval in a couple weeks and if i am diagnosed they said they will medicate me, do adhd meds like ritilin and adderall help with weight loss? anyone have any experiences, either prescribed or unprescribed (no judgement).

#2 Thegymbum

Thegymbum

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4741 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 12:24 PM

Very temporarily, probably... unfortunately, the weight comes back quickly, and usually people regain a lot more more than they lost.
H 5'7"
CW: 103lbs
LW: 72lbs
GW 2019: 95lbs
Ultimate: 88lbs

#3 narcissistist

narcissistist

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 28 November 2020 - 12:43 PM

Adderall abuser here..... short answer yes it will

Which is why they weigh during evals you to make sure you're not abusing it and eating enough

Long answer  - It makes you 'disinterested in food' meaning you are more focused on other things than eating, and is an appetite suppressant. Also it does make your metabolism spike because it increases your heart rate, which also makes you sweat, gittery, pee a lot haha and for those that don't need the medication you also get an energy burst or get kinda "tweaky" which also then burns more calories.

So it does make you drop weight, calorie dep + water loss + increased activity levels.

But also, it like any drug is hard on your heart and your liver / kidneys. 

If you're not prescribed it, it's illegal, and also addictive. I don't have a prescription and I couldn't tell you how much I have bought / stollen over the years. It's pathetic honestly :/ 

And if you stop taking it, even for a short time, the water weight / bloating comes back FAST. And your appetite may return with avengence, but that's different for everyone. The real difference you will see is in how your body holds excess fluids. 

Hope that helps

• Anamia., tove lo and peachless like this

#4 peachless

peachless

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Locationscandi

Posted 28 November 2020 - 12:43 PM

not necessarily, but the reason why it might is because it may keep your mind occupied and reduce appetite! and for some it might also make the hunger come back even worse after you’ve either gotten used to them or decide to take a day off the meds.

it does aid weight loss if they cause you to eat less and raise energy levels —> move around more. and it could reduce cravings and completely set you off food. but it can cause other permanent damage as well if over-used, so i would keep that in mind!

if it’s helping you in other ways than just with weight loss then i’d say try it out for a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goal(metric) (bmi 19.7 -->) 56 55 54 53 52 51 50 49 48 47 46 45 (<-- bmi 16.1)

44 43.5 43 42. 5 42 41.5 41 40.5 40 39 d r e a m

my accountability

#5 peachless

peachless

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Locationscandi

Posted 28 November 2020 - 12:46 PM

Which is why they weigh during evals you to make sure you're not abusing it and eating enough

Long answer - It makes you 'disinterested in food' meaning you are more focused on other things than eating, and is an appetite suppressant. Also it does make your metabolism spike because it increases your heart rate, which also makes you sweat, gittery, pee a lot haha and for those that don't need the medication you also get an energy burst or get kinda "tweaky" which also then burns more calories.
So it does make you drop weight, calorie dep + water loss + increased activity levels.

If you're not prescribed it, it's illegal, and also addictive. I don't have a prescription and I couldn't tell you how much I have bought / stollen over the years. It's pathetic honestly :/

And if you stop taking it, even for a short time, the water weight / bloating comes back FAST. And your appetite may return with avengence, but that's different for everyone. The real difference you will see is in how your body holds excess fluids.

Hope that helps

yup this is what i meant to write haha

• narcissistist likes this

goal(metric) (bmi 19.7 -->) 56 55 54 53 52 51 50 49 48 47 46 45 (<-- bmi 16.1)

44 43.5 43 42. 5 42 41.5 41 40.5 40 39 d r e a m

my accountability

#6 bythestreams

bythestreams

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2872 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 01:46 PM

Adderall was in part why my brother committed suicide which fucked my family up and none of us are able to heal from it. Terrible shit, the addiction is bad. I would avoid if possible... Especially if you're tempted to get on it for the sake of weight loss or in part because of that. It's so bad. 🥺

#7 Starvinggal

Starvinggal

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 02:34 PM

I found it to be disappointing, as far as dramatic wt loss. I am prescribed 20 mg twice daily. I find if I take little 5 mg at a time (breaking apart scored tablets) than I actually do better than taking the full thing...odd, I know.

#8 Lizzie88

Lizzie88

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 02:42 PM

Yes. I used to take street speed (same as adderall but in powder form as adderall doesn’t exist in the uk - it isn’t prescribed here). I lost loads of weight on it without any effort and took it for years and the effects never wore off. I only ever took enough to suppress my appetite not to get high, so I never got addicted to it and was able to quit instantly after years of use as soon as I found out I was pregnant, so it’s not as addictive as other drugs I’ve taken. When I came off it I did gain weight but I was also pregnant so hard to tell exactly what caused the weight gain. But to give you an idea I was around 115lbs prior to taking adderall, went down to 94lbs taking small amounts of it daily, and am now 118lbs 2 years clean and having had a child.

#9 scarydemonscx

scarydemonscx

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 03:14 PM

Long answer - It makes you 'disinterested in food' meaning you are more focused on other things than eating, and is an appetite suppressant. Also it does make your metabolism spike because it increases your heart rate, which also makes you sweat, gittery, pee a lot haha and for those that don't need the medication you also get an energy burst or get kinda "tweaky" which also then burns more calories.

Hope that helps

thank you so much for all the warnings, i really appreciate as someone with a highly addictive personality and i’m sorry that you’re struggling with substance ab*se.
but also at the same time while you’re describing what it does to your appetite/interest in food all i can say is fuck yeah fuck yeah fuck yeah because i’m basically addicted to food at this point and eat when i’m bored because my head is constantly distracting myself from completing tasks (ahaha probably adhd) so i’m really happy it will make me drop weight.

#10 scarydemonscx

scarydemonscx

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 03:15 PM

Yes. I used to take street speed (same as adderall but in powder form as adderall doesn’t exist in the uk - it isn’t prescribed here). I lost loads of weight on it without any effort and took it for years and the effects never wore off. I only ever took enough to suppress my appetite not to get high, so I never got addicted to it and was able to quit instantly after years of use as soon as I found out I was pregnant, so it’s not as addictive as other drugs I’ve taken. When I came off it I did gain weight but I was also pregnant so hard to tell exactly what caused the weight gain. But to give you an idea I was around 115lbs prior to taking adderall, went down to 94lbs taking small amounts of it daily, and am now 118lbs 2 years clean and having had a child.

thanks so much for this info it helps so much, you rock

#11 skyfishing

skyfishing

B♡nkers Wh♡re

• Accountability access
  • 3682 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 03:38 PM

It has helped a lot with my ADHD and depression. While a dose is in effect, it's easy to forget about food and focus on other things, although my hunger levels don't change and food doesn't seem unappealing. My appetite goes back to normal as soon as it wears off. I've taken it for years without becoming addicted. Just don't snort it or take more than prescribed. (YMMV of course--know yourself.)

Height: 5'1" (155 cm)
CW: 90.2 lbs (40.9 kg)
LW: 72 lbs (32.7 kg)
UGW: 84 lbs (38.1 kg)
ACCOUNTABILITY

#12 narcissistist

narcissistist

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 30 November 2020 - 11:57 AM

thank you so much for all the warnings, i really appreciate as someone with a highly addictive personality and i’m sorry that you’re struggling with substance ab*se.
but also at the same time while you’re describing what it does to your appetite/interest in food all i can say is fuck yeah fuck yeah fuck yeah because i’m basically addicted to food at this point and eat when i’m bored because my head is constantly distracting myself from completing tasks (ahaha probably adhd) so i’m really happy it will make me drop weight.

Yeah, I think it's super important to tell people the honest truth about anything, the positives and negatives. 

To be honest I think I am less physically dependent on the adderall and more so compelled to take it because of my ED and mental health issues. I used it to stop binging when I was bulimic, but it just put me on another ED path. So if you have an addictive personality I would urge you to be more cautious. 

That being said my bf is prescribed it, and it helps him so immensely in school and life. So if you need it for adhd I would never try to persuade you away from it, just be careful because they will cut you off if you lose too much weight. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users